Derozan has got to go - Page 2
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
get well DeRozan

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,392
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
I've been saying it for a while now but DeMar DeRozan is simply not a player you build your team around.

He has got to go.
You pick the game where he was 4 assists away(while falling 1 point shy of his 15th 30+ point game) from his first career triple double to trash him on basically his performance and effort!?!

The Raps need to hire you as a scout,assistant GM or something.
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Scouting Specialist
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,767
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @BaileysBlitz View Post
You pick the game where he was 4 assists away(while falling 1 point shy of his 15th 30+ point game) from his first career triple double to trash him on basically his performance and effort!?!

The Raps need to hire you as a scout,assistant GM or something.
If you actually took time to read the thread, you would realize that I've stated this isn't contingent on todays game. This is an evaluation of Demar I've had for a while.
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
get well DeRozan

Senior Member
 
MBailey85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 2,392
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
If you actually took time to read the thread, you would realize that I've stated this isn't contingent on todays game. This is an evaluation of Demar I've had for a while.
Who cares how long you've been hating on him for now,your timing sucks and you look like you're just bitching because the Raps lost.

You should have made this thread when he had a really good outing in an impressive win if you feel so strongly about DD.
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,200
Representing:
Default

I dont think he HAS to go, but I've been saying for a while that if the right trade comes along in the off season I wouldnt hesitate to move Demar, since he would bring back a nice package and I think he's our move 'moveable' player in terms of getting value back for what's given up.

I think he'll be exposed in the playoffs when the defence is tighter and more physical. Due to his lack of handles he'll be exposed as an inefficient midrange jumpshooter.

He's improved this year, but not as much as everyone seems to think because of his numbers. I don't think he'll ever be a primary option on a contending team with his playstyle, and his defence is still bad. He still has a long ways to go as a player obviously, and he's still young, but I'd prefer to trade him while his value is at its peak. I just don't see him getting to that next level to where he demands double teams, and is a more than passable defender, and if we were to lower his usage(which will have to happen as JV develops), I think his game will severely suffer. I don't think his offensive game is conducive to being a 3rd or 4th option, to where he would only get 10-13 shots per night because he isn't really a spot up option.

I'm sure many will disagree with this thinking as Demar has won many people over this year, but I still don't think we're going anywhere with him as the number 1 option, nor do I think he'd play well in a reduced role if we were to focus more on our pick and roll game and involving JV more in the next 3 years.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Scouting Specialist
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,767
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Don't Lie View Post
I dont think he HAS to go, but I've been saying for a while that if the right trade comes along in the off season I wouldnt hesitate to move Demar, since he would bring back a nice package and I think he's our move 'moveable' player in terms of getting value back for what's given up.

I think he'll be exposed in the playoffs when the defence is tighter and more physical. Due to his lack of handles he'll be exposed as an inefficient midrange jumpshooter.

He's improved this year, but not as much as everyone seems to think because of his numbers. I don't think he'll ever be a primary option on a contending team with his playstyle, and his defence is still bad. He still has a long ways to go as a player obviously, and he's still young, but I'd prefer to trade him while his value is at its peak. I just don't see him getting to that next level to where he demands double teams, and is a more than passable defender, and if we were to lower his usage(which will have to happen as JV develops), I think his game will severely suffer. I don't think his offensive game is conducive to being a 3rd or 4th option, to where he would only get 10-13 shots per night because he isn't really a spot up option.

I'm sure many will disagree with this thinking as Demar has won many people over this year, but I still don't think we're going anywhere with him as the number 1 option, nor do I think he'd play well in a reduced role if we were to focus more on our pick and roll game and involving JV more in the next 3 years.
So essentially this is what you've just said:

- He's gonna struggle even more in the playoffs
- He's the player you think should be traded in order for us to get better.
- His numbers are inflated and don't tell the true story.
- He needs a lot of shots to be effective
- His defence is bad
- As JV develops, DD will have to take a backseat and that won't work out well.


I agree 100%.

I trust Masai sees the same things we're seeing, and trades this guy first good offer he gets this offseason.
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
So essentially this is what you've just said:

- He's gonna struggle even more in the playoffs
- He's the player you think should be traded in order for us to get better.
- His numbers are inflated and don't tell the true story.
- He needs a lot of shots to be effective
- His defence is bad
- As JV develops, DD will have to take a backseat and that won't work out well.


I agree 100%.

I trust Masai sees the same things we're seeing, and trades this guy first good offer he gets this offseason.
Funny i think he said he doesn't think he HAS to go.

-Where are you seeing all this struggling?
-Any player could be traded to male this team better. Why do you need to believe it has to be one particular guy?
-explain how his numbers are inflated.
-does he really need a lot of shots to be effective? He has become more efficient this season, and does make other players around him better. You have seen that haven't you?
-his defense is bad? You must have really hated Ross' defense tonight.
-where is this backseat? DeMar is a team player. You seem to be entirely blind to that somehow. He has had plenty of games where he has taken the backseat and gotten a win and was happy.

Got anymore incredibly subjective lists?
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,166
Representing:
Default

In think DD would accept a secondary role if the team is winning and has a true franchise player. A lot will depend on his ability to improve his jumper. If he does this, he can be an effective player on a contending team.

Other elements of his game have significantly improved, such as his playmaking and post game. He's also done better to get his own shot. Still lots of room improvement for DD, though.

On trading him, I only see MU doing so in two situations. First is in a package for a big-time talent. I don't see MU dealing DD for future picks and cap flexibility. The team has taken several steps forward this year, so to deal DD for picks would set the team back and send the wrong signal to the fans, the players, and FAs. This likely will important for MU's efforts to re-sign Lowry, as I can't see the PG wanting to be part of a rebuild.

The only other scenario I see MU dealing DD is during the season, much like when Gay was dealt. This would give MU time to assess the state of the team (has it gotten better or was last year an aberration) plus the development of Ross and the rookie.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
On T-Ross Flight 31

Senior Member
 
Ataf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Catharines
Posts: 1,737
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataf
Default

Demar is an allstar, top 10 scoring, solid player who wants to be here. Am I the only one who hopes a player like demar stays his whole career here? He's a hard working guy who makes me proud of being a Raptors fan. Last thing I want to see is him get traded. He's defiantly not perfect but he's not a player who you should be actively looking to trade. He's the last of our concerns.
And when or if he gets exposed in the playoffs, I'm sure he'll work hard in the offseason, like he always does, to rectify that. He hasn't stopped growing.
Ataf is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3
 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

Despite his work ethic and incremental improvement, my concern with Demar is that his biggest weaknesses might be insurmountable. His first step is deliberate and his jump shot mechanics might hinder him from becoming a good shooter from distance. That said, even if he plateaus, he's on a good contract. Incidentally, a young All-Star on a manageable contract might yield a some attractive packages, which I would definitely entertain; but I wouldn't shop him with even an iota of desperation.
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
is petitioning to resign lowry

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 43
Representing:
Default

LOLL, outrageous thread

First off, we aren't building around anyone right now. Masai just arrived and he wasn't the one that extended him.

Only knock I have against Demar is that he isn't clutch, which comes as no surprise to anyone following the raps for the last 5 years.

He provides 20+ needed points on a nightly basis. Starting to get to the free throw line at will. Starting to warrant double team as the season progress, which shows even the rest of the league has taken notice to his development.

We pay him what? 9 mil a year with no cap issues

PLUS he is 24 years old

Why the hell would he have to go? On our young developing and potentially contending team in the midst of our first year as a unit.

Only reason we would ever consider trading him is if we got back great value in return. Not cause he HAS to go.

BTW he plays like a "star" or "the man" cause he is currently the best scorer on the roster, and that's a statistical fact. He currently shares the clutch time scoring minutes with Lowry, which makes perfect sense as the two are our most proven scorers.

Would you rather see the unproven Ross, JV, or our expiring bench guys Greivis, Salmons take it? Cause you might as well pre-draft your RAGE-Trade <Insert Name> threads now.
TheSpider is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
elT
brainfarting keyboard eater

Dwane Casey kicks ass!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 850
Representing:
Default

LOL. I'm not a fan of DeRozan but nobody can deny how much he improved and how hard he works. He does not have to go but can be moved in the right kind of trade. I do think he is at least at 90% of his potential so what we are seeing from him might be as good as it gets. But you can't know that for sure, his work ethic is excellent, he just might surprise everyone...again.

I would trade him only in a kind of package that would land us a guy like Kevin Love or other top talent player, if any of that is possible. The only other scenario is if the team falls apart in the off-season and we end up going for a full re-build. But in the end, you never know, if the right offer comes...
elT is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 AM   #32 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Scouting Specialist
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,767
Representing:
Default

It's OK. I've made myself an easy target to be ridiculed by making this thread and I knew that before I made it.

This is the price I pay for seeing this before the majority.

In due time though you will all see what I mean.
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,148
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
It's OK. I've made myself an easy target to be ridiculed by making this thread and I knew that before I made it.

This is the price I pay for seeing this before the majority.

In due time though you will all see what I mean.
I see what you mean, i even said today i'd trade DD before Ross. But this thread is poor timing. lol
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:46 AM   #34 (permalink)
mixing all day and playing all day

Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 440
Representing:
Default

Only time will tell.
Kriz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 AM   #35 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,087
Representing:
Default

I don't think he HAS to go at all, but I wouldn't be adverse to trading him given the right package (which is kind of an empty statement, because I'm sure you'd all agree). I feel like DeRozan has shown improvement every season and while I'm concerned about his shot selection and FG%, I still think he is a good player and he is a piece that the franchise can continue to build upon.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 AM   #36 (permalink)
Raptors for ever

Raptors for ever
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 418
Representing:
Default

After each defeat this kind of threads pops up.
Demare must not go, It is Casey who should go.
RaptorsVictim is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #37 (permalink)
SOS
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 66
Representing:
Default

When right offer comes: trade DD without hesitation. Yes, he is still young, but I hardly see him being able to make that crucial step to become a "team first" guy, as T-Mac became in Houston, not in Casey team at least. He talks a lot about his wish of passing, but the only reason he would pass the ball, is when there is no chance he can take a shot. So many times our bigs are just wide open in the paint, after screening DD, but never, ever he would choose a pass over the jump shot. I also do not have any respect for Casey in this regard, since he is riding cold DD all game long (game with phoenix for instance), instead of trying to seal the deal in other ways (like playing more through bigs). You shit that day, you sit it out and try again next game. This seems to be the case for JV, Ross, Amir, but DD is completely safe and its not that there is nobody on the bench to step-up: GV, DeColo, Salmons, Fields...

Last edited by SOS; 03-19-2014 at 06:39 AM.
SOS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #38 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
It's OK. I've made myself an easy target to be ridiculed by making this thread and I knew that before I made it.

This is the price I pay for seeing this before the majority.

In due time though you will all see what I mean.
Did i ridicule you? And yet you answer none of my questions. It would be nice if you helped us see what you mean. Instead you throw a bunch of emotional blanket statements at us, and suggest in the game thread that DeMar is like Harold Miner, which is obviously just ridiculous.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #39 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,166
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
When right offer comes: trade DD without hesitation. Yes, he is still young, but I hardly see him being able to make that crucial step to become a "team first" guy, as T-Mac became in Houston, not in Casey team at least. He talks a lot about his wish of passing, but the only reason he would pass the ball, is when there is no chance he can take a shot. So many times our bigs are just wide open in the paint, after screening DD, but never, ever he would choose a pass over the jump shot. I also do not have any respect for Casey in this regard, since he is riding cold DD all game long (game with phoenix for instance), instead of trying to seal the deal in other ways (like playing more through bigs). You shit that day, you sit it out and try again next game. This seems to be the case for JV, Ross, Amir, but DD is completely safe and its not that there is nobody on the bench to step-up: GV, DeColo, Salmons, Fields...
While he shoots a lot, he's also creating for his teammates and these passes aren't acts of desperation. His playmaking has improved significantly.

He's also one of two guys on the team who can create his own shot consistently. As such, he's going to get PT. You don't sit your leading scorer for stretches, especially one that is 24 years old.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
SOS
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 66
Representing:
Default

We must be watching different games then. In the ones I saw so far, the only thing DD creates is contested, off balanced shot for himself. And I do understand however, that a part of it is due to his poor passing skills, he is afraid to make a turnover, so instead he just takes a bad shot. He has been in this league for a while now and while his shot gotten somewhat better, his passing ability has not improved at all. I do not even think he finds it a crucial part of his game to spend time on.
And yes, if your best scorer can not adjust and make plays for others, instead rushes things and try to score every possible and impossible position, bench him. It is all about winning, if someone thinks otherwise, he should not be a part of the team.

Last edited by SOS; 03-19-2014 at 10:34 AM.
SOS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24