Deron Williams - Page 3
Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #41 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 293
Representing:
Default

yeah Nash it is...101% agree with that
xplode is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #42 (permalink)
Jonas needs minutes

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,703
Representing:
Default

deron williams wants to win but you can tell he is get paid guy, similar to joe johnson a gun for hire

if we come to the table wit the most money we could get him, obviously its a long shot but for some reason i get the feeling if we blow everybody else out of the water with a expensive deal, plus the fact that its a 4 year term, he might have to think about taking it

especially with his age, he gets paid doesnt feel happy abotu his championship chances he can leave in 4 years and still have a chance on the right team later, his agent would want the money

i wold have no problem if we offers him a 4 years 90 million dollar contract
rapsmannn is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,994
Representing:
Default

Keep in mind that noone can offer Deron more money than NJ. If it comes purely to the numbers, he will stay there.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Deron is a 'get paid' player? I don't follow. He's made it known that he won't re-sign unless they brought in another star..... he clearly is a player that wants to win
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
rootin for the eagles, boise state, the leafs, raps, and jays

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,577
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsmannn View Post
deron williams wants to win but you can tell he is get paid guy, similar to joe johnson a gun for hire

if we come to the table wit the most money we could get him, obviously its a long shot but for some reason i get the feeling if we blow everybody else out of the water with a expensive deal, plus the fact that its a 4 year term, he might have to think about taking it

especially with his age, he gets paid doesnt feel happy abotu his championship chances he can leave in 4 years and still have a chance on the right team later, his agent would want the money

i wold have no problem if we offers him a 4 years 90 million dollar contract
Ummm everyone that can would offer him the max, same as we would... we're not outbidding anyone.
Chiggmo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #46 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,219
Representing:
Default

He's going to go to a team that can contend every year starting right away.

That's why he'll go to Dallas.
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #47 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,994
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gizzle View Post
He's going to go to a team that can contend every year starting right away.

That's why he'll go to Dallas.
Well, right away - yes, but for how long? I am also not entirely sold on a team that features basically him and Dirk being a contender.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #48 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gizzle View Post
He's going to go to a team that can contend every year starting right away.

That's why he'll go to Toronto.
Ooooeeee!!!!!! I love this idea!

carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #49 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,219
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Well, right away - yes, but for how long? I am also not entirely sold on a team that features basically him and Dirk being a contender.
Well, Dirk and role players are enough for 50+ wins every season.

My mentality is that Dirk will have another 3-4 years left at his current effectiveness barring any injury. Surrounding them with quality role players and an athletic, defensive minded C will give them a chance to compete for the West each year.

I can't imagine Deron really worrying about the state of the Franchise 4-5 years down the line. Especially considering the fact that this team Has constantly built and reloaded the roster around Dirk and have had success doing so.

The real key will be if they can find a 3rd player who can truly push them to be a force over the next 5-6 years.

That being said, Dirk + Deron and role players should be enough to take them far enough into the playoffs. That's just the nature of these Dallas teams. Nowitzki just gives them a chance to win in the fourth quarter more than most because of his efficiency and clutch shooting.
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #50 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,994
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gizzle View Post
Well, Dirk and role players are enough for 50+ wins every season.

My mentality is that Dirk will have another 3-4 years left at his current effectiveness barring any injury. Surrounding them with quality role players and an athletic, defensive minded C will give them a chance to compete for the West each year.

I can't imagine Deron really worrying about the state of the Franchise 4-5 years down the line. Especially considering the fact that this team Has constantly built and reloaded the roster around Dirk and have had success doing so.

The real key will be if they can find a 3rd player who can truly push them to be a force over the next 5-6 years.

That being said, Dirk + Deron and role players should be enough to take them far enough into the playoffs. That's just the nature of these Dallas teams. Nowitzki just gives them a chance to win in the fourth quarter more than most because of his efficiency and clutch shooting.
You are a Dallas' fan, right?

I am not going to argue with your logic. I just can't help myself thinking that adding Deron, JV and another high-lottery pick to our current roster would produce a much better team than what Dallas would be able to assemble around D+D, pretty much right away, and most certainly a year or two down the road.

Alas, it's not very likely to happen.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #51 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,219
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
You are a Dallas' fan, right?

I am not going to argue with your logic. I just can't help myself thinking that adding Deron, JV and another high-lottery pick to our current roster would produce a much better team than what Dallas would be able to assemble around D+D, pretty much right away, and most certainly a year or two down the road.

Alas, it's not very likely to happen.
I think my commitment to the Mavericks has outlasted most others in my life...lol

But alas, there's no way I can disagree with you Mike. That would be a great team to field, especially in the East. Deron acting as the leader on this team would be phenomenal basketball to watch.

Problem is 2 things.

1 - Winning culture.

2 - Arguably the best closer/clutch shooter in the game.

Those two things allow the role players on the Mavs to stick to their game and play hard no matter the score. That kinda thing matters. That's why Dallas is such a dangerous team even if they're down 10-20 points. Those kind of leads can disappear in mere minutes when your team doesn't get deflated by the score...It's probably the main reason why they were able to win last year.
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #52 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
You are a Dallas' fan, right?

I am not going to argue with your logic. I just can't help myself thinking that adding Deron, JV and another high-lottery pick to our current roster would produce a much better team than what Dallas would be able to assemble around D+D, pretty much right away, and most certainly a year or two down the road.

Alas, it's not very likely to happen.
Who knows if Colangelo can sell it.... I know he's gonna try, likely after Nash though.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #53 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,994
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gizzle View Post
I think my commitment to the Mavericks has outlasted most others in my life...lol

But alas, there's no way I can disagree with you Mike. That would be a great team to field, especially in the East. Deron acting as the leader on this team would be phenomenal basketball to watch.

Problem is 2 things.

1 - Winning culture.

2 - Arguably the best closer/clutch shooter in the game.

Those two things allow the role players on the Mavs to stick to their game and play hard no matter the score. That kinda thing matters. That's why Dallas is such a dangerous team even if they're down 10-20 points. Those kind of leads can disappear in mere minutes when your team doesn't get deflated by the score...It's probably the main reason why they were able to win last year.
On the closer/clutch player - Deron would unquestionably be Da Man in TO and so would have a choice of taking those shots himself or setting up capable guys.

On culture - nothing to argue about. Anyone would prefer to play in Dallas for Cuban to playing in Toronto for a corporate owner, albeit a much richer one now since Rogers/Bell own MLSE. However - any winning culture must start somewhere. Considering what Casey has managed to achieve with the roster of Les Miserables here, adding Deron would almost inevitably lead to something special.

A side note - I was extremely happy for the Mavs last summer. If Deron doesn't come to TO, I will be rooting for him and Dirk in Dallas (when they are not playing the Raps, of course).

Last edited by MikeToronto; 03-20-2012 at 03:33 PM.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #54 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,994
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Who knows if Colangelo can sell it.... I know he's gonna try, likely after Nash though.
If he is going to give Williams a shot, BC will be there at his door @ 12.00.01 am on July 1st. You don't leave courting of FAs of this magnitude for later.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #55 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
If he is going to give Williams a shot, BC will be there at his door @ 12.00.01 am on July 1st. You don't leave courting of FAs of this magnitude for later.
Not necessarily true. Deron could be in a holding pattern waiting to see what shakes down for trades. Yeah, maybe you make the call early, but I'm not sure The Deronimo drops so soon.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #56 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,994
Representing:
Default

Carp, correct me if I am wrong, but with Howard staying put for another season, isn't Williams the single biggest (as in max) prize of this off-season?

I am pretty sure that most of the teams with enough room under cap (us, Dallas, Phoenix and probably 10 others) will at least attempt to make a play for his services unless they already have a really good PG. I can't make a list quickly enough to illustrate my point, but someone like Dan could.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #57 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
You are a Dallas' fan, right?

I am not going to argue with your logic. I just can't help myself thinking that adding Deron, JV and another high-lottery pick to our current roster would produce a much better team than what Dallas would be able to assemble around D+D, pretty much right away, and most certainly a year or two down the road.

Alas, it's not very likely to happen.
The only problem with your line of thinking Mike is that it's reliant on JV and that draft pick coming in and playing VERY well right away.... and that just doesn't happen unless you luck into a Durant/Wade type player.

Realistically it's going to take about 2-3 seasons for those new guys to get comfortable in the league and really start producing consistently.

Even though DAL may not boast much outside of Dirk (and I'm sure that'll change in the summer), he's a HOF player who'll still be playing great basketball next year.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #58 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,994
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
The only problem with your line of thinking Mike is that it's reliant on JV and that draft pick coming in and playing VERY well right away.... and that just doesn't happen unless you luck into a Durant/Wade type player.

Realistically it's going to take about 2-3 seasons for those new guys to get comfortable in the league and really start producing consistently.

Even though DAL may not boast much outside of Dirk (and I'm sure that'll change in the summer), he's a HOF player who'll still be playing great basketball next year.
Well... I did say a year or two down the road... Meanwhile, Bargs is going to be there and so will DeRozan and JJ and at least one of Jose/Bayless...
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #59 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,203
Representing:
Default

One scenario that hasnt yet been brought up by anyone is going after Eric Gordon, but obviously that comes with risk. I think he'd be a great fit in to what we're doing and has a very good chance of being a top SG if hes not already, when healthy.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #60 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Carp, correct me if I am wrong, but with Howard staying put for another season, isn't Williams the single biggest (as in max) prize of this off-season?

I am pretty sure that most of the teams with enough room under cap (us, Dallas, Phoenix and probably 10 others) will at least attempt to make a play for his services unless they already have a really good PG. I can't make a list quickly enough to illustrate my point, but someone like Dan could.
No need for a list... I see your point. It is valid. But the flip side, he is the only major shoe to drop.... he can pick and choose.... I'm pretty sure he will invite all buyers out anyways.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24