DeMar For Three? - Page 2

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: Will DeMar be a three point threat this season?
Yes. 24 42.86%
No. 32 57.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1815 View Post
I don't think he'll be a real "threat," but I hope he can at least hit enough to keep defenses honest. He hit 26% and 28% over the last two seasons, so a 2/3% (to 30/31%) bump is reasonable to expect...
i agree, but the other thing is its not just about the %, its also about the number of attempts
i want him to become like a legit 30ish% 3 point shooter, which means he needs to have a decent number of attempts, he can't be like 30% guy because he made 3 of 10 for the season
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
set adrift on a memory bliss of you.

Reptars
 
AR1815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 889
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
i agree, but the other thing is its not just about the %, its also about the number of attempts
i want him to become like a legit 30ish% 3 point shooter, which means he needs to have a decent number of attempts, he can't be like 30% guy because he made 3 of 10 for the season
Yeah, that's true - for me, though, it's all about what the defense gives him; it's hard to say how many shots he should be taking, though 1.5 is not enough to get the defenders' attention. If they learn to respect the shot (which probably won't happen for at least the first 20 games, so I hope he starts the season off confident and firing away), I don't mind if he doesn't shoot from out there. As long as he's making the defense work and pay attention to him, I'll be happy.
AR1815 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

I'd be more impressed if he could use his 'elite' athleticism to defend somebody.... he should be attending Kawhi Leonard's summer camp!

carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,776
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanTheMan View Post
That would be nice I guess but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't. We have Ross (if he finds his stroke) and Novak (two 3pt specialists) to fall back on, and I'm sure Gay and Lowry can be decent shooters if fully healthy. Too bad our current backup PG apparently has no shot whatsoever sigh... smh... lol.

Hopefully we'll sign a true backup PG with a good 3pt shot. Once again, adding Ridnour would've been nice...
Uhm, the Raps have 3 now....Lowry/Buycks/Stone. How many back-ups would you like?
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,776
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
There will be improvement ... lets not expect him to become a great 3 point shooter ... Decent percentage would be fine ... 35% +
+1 absolutely. just consistency....at 35% opposing teams will have no choice but to play him at the perimeter, thus opening up so many facets to his game.

I have no doubts that he will be at or over that mark.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,187
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
+1 absolutely. just consistency....at 35% opposing teams will have no choice but to play him at the perimeter, thus opening up so many facets to his game.

I have no doubts that he will be at or over that mark.
35% is not a "decent" three point shot. It is a good three point shot. It represents 1.05 points per shot. This is good. Decent is more like .330 - breaking even on points per shot (as each possession is worth roughly 1 point). I could see him reaching .330 eventually, .350 would be a great surprise.

The other factor, as you say, is consistency. He could end up at .330 at the end of the year, but if half the season he shoots .370 and the other half he's plunking a solid .250 and taking less because he can't hit water from a boat, that doesn't help in the long run.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,621
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Uhm, the Raps have 3 now....Lowry/Buycks/Stone. How many back-ups would you like?
Julian Stone has a 3pt shot? This is news to me.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,776
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Julian Stone has a 3pt shot? This is news to me.
It's pretty simple really. ZantheMan would like another pg that can shoot the 3 but we have 3 pgs now and I don't see another one coming. Unless the team goes all Houston and signs 22 players at a time, let them all play and then pick who they want. Seems to be working for them.

Last edited by DocHoliday99; 07-12-2013 at 04:18 PM.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Unless the team goes all Houston and signs 22 players at a time, let them all play and then pick who they want. Seems to be working for them.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
The GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 41
Representing:
Default

Demar Derozan.

Thrust into a position of leadership far before he was ready. Placed into a Guard position he was never properly trained to play. Considered a very raw project player in the draft with unlimited potential. Came in with the ugliest shot in the NBA for his position, was effective out to about 17 feet...and even then, spotty. Has spent each and every off season making significant progress on a number of the games aspects. Is considered a franchise cornerstone, shoulders all that pressure, yet has not fully developed. Does it without complaint.

You're talking about a young man, a YOUNG man who has improved every year he has been in the NBA. His mid range game alone has moved from brutal to above average. The Lock out year he worked hard in the summer before and came out blazing from the Arc...then a year of games, travel, and no practice allowed old habits to creep back. DD used the following off season to get stronger, and go back to square one with his Jumper, improving it from the mid rage perspective, and slowly started moving that back, as seen in his progress as the year went on.

Perhaps he won't ever be a three point scare...but threat? Hell yes. if I have confidence in any one player on that team putting in the work needed to improve a facet of his game that is lacking, its Demar Derozan. He's a pro. And he still isn't 25.
The GM is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,171
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GM View Post
Demar Derozan.

Thrust into a position of leadership far before he was ready. Placed into a Guard position he was never properly trained to play. Considered a very raw project player in the draft with unlimited potential. Came in with the ugliest shot in the NBA for his position, was effective out to about 17 feet...and even then, spotty. Has spent each and every off season making significant progress on a number of the games aspects. Is considered a franchise cornerstone, shoulders all that pressure, yet has not fully developed. Does it without complaint.

You're talking about a young man, a YOUNG man who has improved every year he has been in the NBA. His mid range game alone has moved from brutal to above average. The Lock out year he worked hard in the summer before and came out blazing from the Arc...then a year of games, travel, and no practice allowed old habits to creep back. DD used the following off season to get stronger, and go back to square one with his Jumper, improving it from the mid rage perspective, and slowly started moving that back, as seen in his progress as the year went on.

Perhaps he won't ever be a three point scare...but threat? Hell yes. if I have confidence in any one player on that team putting in the work needed to improve a facet of his game that is lacking, its Demar Derozan. He's a pro. And he still isn't 25.

+1 gazillion.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #32 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GM View Post
Demar Derozan.

Thrust into a position of leadership far before he was ready. Placed into a Guard position he was never properly trained to play. Considered a very raw project player in the draft with unlimited potential. Came in with the ugliest shot in the NBA for his position, was effective out to about 17 feet...and even then, spotty. Has spent each and every off season making significant progress on a number of the games aspects. Is considered a franchise cornerstone, shoulders all that pressure, yet has not fully developed. Does it without complaint.

You're talking about a young man, a YOUNG man who has improved every year he has been in the NBA. His mid range game alone has moved from brutal to above average. The Lock out year he worked hard in the summer before and came out blazing from the Arc...then a year of games, travel, and no practice allowed old habits to creep back. DD used the following off season to get stronger, and go back to square one with his Jumper, improving it from the mid rage perspective, and slowly started moving that back, as seen in his progress as the year went on.

Perhaps he won't ever be a three point scare...but threat? Hell yes. if I have confidence in any one player on that team putting in the work needed to improve a facet of his game that is lacking, its Demar Derozan. He's a pro. And he still isn't 25.
+1

However I could care less about the 3 pt shot if he could become a 4-5 apg type SG. The 3 pt shot is just one of the things he really needs to work on.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #33 (permalink)
T. Ross IS The Phantom Menace.

Lackey
 
Ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,541
Representing:
Default

I have faith in Demar just because of his work ethic. I'm not sure he has ever put as much into long range shooting as he will this off-season. Coming into last year, casey asked him to "seek bodies" instead of being attacked. That would get him to the line and he did it. (13th in NBA with 427 frees) Let's see if his new focus pays off.
Ammo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
new, and shiny.

Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 352
Representing:
Default

DeMar doesn't move off the ball well enough to make him a real threat. He'll have very few open 3s and I believe he'll struggle.
cloudnine is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Presidential
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,606
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
A "threat" imo is just somebody who can hit the open three and keep the defense honest when the offense is exploiting a matchup on the other side of the court.
That is precisely what I consider a "threat".
Thug is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 75
Representing:
Default

Hopefully he'll get a lot of pointers from Steve Novak who can probably help him a lot with his three shot.
Then again, Rondo had Ray-Ray for all those years and he isn't a threat from three.
winecountryhero is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #37 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

He really needs to get at least 30% from 3 next season.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #38 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,776
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
+1

However I could care less about the 3 pt shot if he could become a 4-5 apg type SG. The 3 pt shot is just one of the things he really needs to work on.
I agree with you though others may not. The ball tends to stick a little in his hands for a bit too long (like Bosh 'used' to do here). If DD can get into the offensive flow without the ball and then make quicker (and better) decisions when it comes to him it would open up the floor a lot more as defenses would have to slag off or hesitate to send a double. It would open the floor a little more for DD for 3's. Also, I think we are getting a little hung up on the term '3pt', DD just needs to move his shot closer back to the perimeter and then make some shots. 3's would be great but long 2's I can live with as DD is quick enough for that to have the same effect.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #39 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
I agree with you though others may not. The ball tends to stick a little in his hands for a bit too long (like Bosh 'used' to do here). If DD can get into the offensive flow without the ball and then make quicker (and better) decisions when it comes to him it would open up the floor a lot more as defenses would have to slag off or hesitate to send a double. It would open the floor a little more for DD for 3's. Also, I think we are getting a little hung up on the term '3pt', DD just needs to move his shot closer back to the perimeter and then make some shots. 3's would be great but long 2's I can live with as DD is quick enough for that to have the same effect.
He doesn't need to take any more long twos.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #40 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,776
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
He doesn't need to take any more long twos.
as long as he makes them Carp who cares.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24