Davis switching up his personality - Page 2
Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Great news. If we start winning more, even better. Value goes up for winning players and if Ed can be a big contributor it just gives us many more options. I don't see him being as good as some, as his size is limiting for his type of game, but he could be a very versatile big off the bench of a really good squad. With Amir there is redundancy but we'll see how it plays out. Trading Davis is easier for value imo, especially with an expiring like Jose
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
threat inside

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 593
Representing:
Default

Last year it was supposed to be development year. But it was more development for some than others. Ed was thrown in a lot as C to accommodate AB's reluctance to defend players of his size,
I wanna see Ed given a fair chance at PF playing with a C, then one can assess his value.
But if we wanna please one player and let Bargnani 'dominate the dojo' guarding smaller players, so we can say how much an improved 1on1 defender he's become, then Ed might as well follow JJ out the door.
moujik is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moujik View Post
Last year it was supposed to be development year. But it was more development for some than others. Ed was thrown in a lot as C to accommodate AB's reluctance to defend players of his size,
I wanna see Ed given a fair chance at PF playing with a C, then one can assess his value.
But if we wanna please one player and let Bargnani 'dominate the dojo' guarding smaller players, so we can say how much an improved 1on1 defender he's become, then Ed might as well follow JJ out the door.
This isn't true. Ed just didn't play well last year. He was guarding PF's most times.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,534
Representing:
Default

Ed didn't play well last year? That's not quite true. He ddn't shoot well. He got off to a poor start and fell back in the rotation. And Casey and the other coaches might have had bigger priorities. Not to mention that there was a need for more experience to ensure the defensive system took root with results, and the offense didn't look historically inept. But once he got into game shape, understood his role fully under Casey, and saw the floor, he played pretty well.

I'd say he had more than 13 good games anyway.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Ed didn't play well last year? That's not quite true. He ddn't shoot well. He got off to a poor start and fell back in the rotation. And Casey and the other coaches might have had bigger priorities. Not to mention that there was a need for more experience to ensure the defensive system took root with results, and the offense didn't look historically inept. But once he got into game shape, understood his role fully under Casey, and saw the floor, he played pretty well.

I'd say he had more than 13 good games anyway.
I don't understand the reference. Such an arbitrary number.

As for Ed, fine, he played well at times. I'd say that in general he didn't fulfill expectations last year. Hope he can build on his 'more than 13 good games'.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #26 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,534
Representing:
Default

True enough that he didn't fulfill expectations. He'll take care of that in this - his first full season.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,824
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Hope he can build on his 'more than 13 good games'.
Same can be said for one of our vets
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
True enough that he didn't fulfill expectations. He'll take care of that in this - his first full season.
third season, but whatever.... I guess you're trying to be facetious and I'm not smard enough to catch on.

Also, Jeff, many of our vets could improve!
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,824
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
third season, but whatever.... I guess you're trying to be facetious and I'm not smard enough to catch on.

Also, Jeff, many of our vets could improve!

Calderon is who he is at this point. Kleiza and Bargnani are really the only other true vets we have and yes they both need to improve.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,534
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
third season, but whatever.... I guess you're trying to be facetious and I'm not smard enough to catch on.

Also, Jeff, many of our vets could improve!
It'll be his first full season. How is that facetious? He lost a training camp and part of a season due to injury, and went through a shortened camp and shortened season due to the lockout. He's pretty much at year 2 in terms of overall experience.

I'll be facetious now - I suppose he can go ahead and have a terrible year this year and be in line for the kind of raise that Landry Fields saw.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #31 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
It'll be his first full season. How is that facetious? He lost a training camp and part of a season due to injury, and went through a shortened camp and shortened season due to the lockout. He's pretty much at year 2 in terms of overall experience.

I'll be facetious now - I suppose he can go ahead and have a terrible year this year and be in line for the kind of raise that Landry Fields saw.
Agreed.... that was a brutal contract given... let's hope we were as desperate for a glue guy as has been made out.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
He lost a training camp and part of a season due to injury, and went through a shortened camp and shortened season due to the lockout. He's pretty much at year 2 in terms of overall experience.
People often forget that.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
People often forget that.
meh. They all went through a shortened season... just sounds like an excuse for a player that some were really hoping was better than he is.

He's a young player with potential at this point. Hopefully he achieves some of that potential, it'd be better for the Raptors if he did. A good player to learn from would be Tyler Hansborough for Ed. Another young late-lottery, undersized PF prospect with a limited pro game that has utilized hustle and grit to make himself into a serviceable rotation player.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
meh. They all went through a shortened season... just sounds like an excuse for a player that some were really hoping was better than he is.
with other players it's not an excuse though. meh, could be worse, could be wishing a player to improve when after 6-7 seasons, he is what he is.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #35 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,234
Representing:
Default

ed just sucked last season, he basically regressed from his rookie season and that's never a good thing. Name one thing he did better last season vs his rookie year?

As far as not living up to expectations, that's pretty much how you define "playing well" in the first place. Set your expectations low enough and most nba players are playing well. If the level was set too high, I could understand this qualification, but let's face it, nobody expected davis to become a starter level player in his 2nd year, just to show some improvement.

And it's not like he didn't have his chances, with andrea out and amir struggling badly, the starting spot was his for the taking. He just failed to make an impact at either end. He's a good rebounder and shot blocker, but not a good defender and offensively he's useless.

I think there's a reason there was no interest in him this offseason, and even those nba rankings reflect how the outside world sees him (rightly or wrongly) - as a player who regressed.

This season is a make or break for davis, and it will be a lot tougher if we stay healthy.

and btw, the missed training camps is the lamest excuse I ever heard. Griffin missed a whole year and when he came back he shattered rookie records like there was no tomorrow. Ed's problem is that he's underpowered and not skilled, no amount of training camp would fix that.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
with other players it's not an excuse though. meh, could be worse, could be wishing a player to improve when after 6-7 seasons, he is what he is.
I still think Amir can improve..... so I'm not sure what you mean.

It's an excuse, don't fret about it. Can Ed get better, sure... we'll see, I hope he does
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I still think Bargs can improve..... so I'm not sure what you mean.

It's an excuse, don't fret about it. Can Ed get better, sure... we'll see, I hope he does
I think you confused yourself there
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
I think you confused yourself there
I can appreciate your efforts... afterall, slagging Bargnani on an Ed Davis isn't good enough thread is just your style!

Let's hope Ed brings it this year, it would make our team that much better in the long run. I loved what I saw in Amir though, kid looks refreshed and healthy.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,534
Representing:
Default

Yeah. Ed is not Griffin. But bad defender? That's crazy talk moremilk. He's a much better defender than Griffin, for starters.

And I didn't suggest missing training camp was an excuse. I listed a bunch of factors that effected him, many that were on him, but considering the level of experience he's at, it's way too early to write him off, unless he absolutely needs to be Griffin.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I can appreciate your efforts... afterall, slagging Bargnani on an Ed Davis isn't good enough thread is just your style!
We've done this before, I've critiqued pretty much everyone on the roster quite harshly before (2011/2012 roster). I would do it again but it's quite exhausting and a waste of time.

Also, nice job attacking the person.

Last edited by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!!; 10-09-2012 at 02:10 PM.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24