Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   D. Smith: Stefanski very important right now (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/d-smith-stefanski-very-important-right-now-22435.html)

jeffb 03-12-2012 01:48 PM

D. Smith: Stefanski very important right now
 
LOL

Quote:

I say this only partially in jest but the most important man in the Raptors organization this week could very well be Ed Stefanski.

That’s because he’s the guy who’s going to be disconnecting the phone when Bryan tries – and you know he will – to get in on every transaction going leading up to Thursday’s trade deadline.

The jesting part comes because I know Bryan does really believe in his plan, which is to see how this season unfolds without jeopardizing a summer when he’ll have lots of money to spend – depending on whether they use the amnesty clause and which free agents they renounce they could have between $10 million and $20 million go and spend.

But I also know Bryan well enough to realize that the art of the deal is something he’s quite fond of and I know he’ll at least be exploring stuff to get involved with. He can’t help himself, we always joke, and it’s a bit true.

However, even with Jose out and the struggles that will mean and with a team absorbing losses at a rapid rate, Bryan needs to spend this week taking a series of deep breaths and wondering what next season might look like with Valanciunas, a free agent or two, the core guys he’s got now and another high draft pick.

I don’t know precisely where these guys will be spending every waking hour between now and Thursday but wherever Bryan is, Ed needs to be.

Doug Smith's Sports Blog

EggsToTheBBQ 03-12-2012 02:47 PM

Trade 'em all, BC!

DDUnreal 03-12-2012 03:08 PM

Sad truth. Hopefully we don't do anything.

Superjudge 03-12-2012 03:15 PM

"rapid losses"

love it

m5racer 03-12-2012 03:33 PM

tradem all for quick patches! Playoff push here we come!

MikeToronto 03-12-2012 03:34 PM

C'mon, he is better than that. With no pressure to "keep Bosh happy at all costs", he will make the right decisions between now and September.

Dario 03-12-2012 05:32 PM

thank God for Ed, second hand man for BC

just4_raps 03-12-2012 06:53 PM

off topic...jeffb, i hope that you're avatar photo is not a spoiler to last nights episode of walking dead.

moremilk 03-13-2012 01:23 AM

I guess BC doesn't believe in motorized warfare ...

Dutches 03-13-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 625162)
C'mon, he is better than that. With no pressure to "keep Bosh happy at all costs", he will make the right decisions between now and September.

I think he'll make the right moves too. His job depends on it. He's only got one more year after this (3rd year is a team option I believe?), he pulls another Hedo or JO move and he's not only fucked. He's fired.

His reputation hangs in the balance based on how we do over the next 2-3 seasons. In BC we trust, he just better not fuck us.

Carlito 03-13-2012 10:16 AM

Trading Barbosa for a retiring contract and a 1st rounder would be good ...
Barbosa would be good to have if we were contenders, but we aren't even pretenders yet.

carp 03-13-2012 10:26 AM

If we could get a top 5 lottery pick for DD we should probably take that too.

LX 03-13-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlito (Post 625319)
Trading Barbosa for a retiring contract and a 1st rounder would be good ...
Barbosa would be good to have if we were contenders, but we aren't even pretenders yet.

Yeah, I'm not getting why a move can't be made to get picks, or a guy they think is a better fit. I understand why they want to be somewhat conservative, and keep options open, but does that mean they have absolutely no options right now? I expect a little more creativity than that.

MikeToronto 03-13-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LX (Post 625321)
Yeah, I'm not getting why a move can't be made to get picks, or a guy they think is a better fit. I understand why they want to be somewhat conservative, and keep options open, but does that mean they have absolutely no options right now? I expect a little more creativity than that.

I am pretty sure that BC would trade Barbosa for a first-rounder in a heartbeat. Problem? No one's offering. Plus, most playoffs-bound teams who could use a player like him are over the cap, so trading a pick for Barbosa's contract is out of the question - and would you take an albatross contract with the late pick to make it work? I wouldn't.

LX 03-13-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 625346)
I am pretty sure that BC would trade Barbosa for a first-rounder in a heartbeat. Problem? No one's offering. Plus, most playoffs-bound teams who could use a player like him are over the cap, so trading a pick for Barbosa's contract is out of the question - and would you take an albatross contract with the late pick to make it work? I wouldn't.

No I wouldn't. I just don't like the idea of suggesting there's absolutely nothing that is going to happen out of necessity. If there really is no deal to be made then fine. But if the idea is for Stefanski to have BC bound and gagged no matter what, I find that a little dissatisfying.

MikeToronto 03-13-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LX (Post 625353)
No I wouldn't. I just don't like the idea of suggesting there's absolutely nothing that is going to happen out of necessity. If there really is no deal to be made then fine. But if the idea is for Stefanski to have BC bound and gagged no matter what, I find that a little dissatisfying.

Nah, that won't happen. If, and that's a big if, an advantageous deal is to be had, all the king's horses and all the king's men won't be able to hold BC back - the dude sure loves his trades. ;)

It's trading for the sake of trading that should probably be avoided this spring/summer.

LX 03-13-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 625358)
Nah, that won't happen. If, and that's a big if, an advantageous deal is to be had, all the king's horses and all the king's men won't be able to hold BC back - the dude sure loves his trades. ;)

It's trading for the sake of trading that should probably be avoided this spring/summer.

Yep. This piece talks about the plan really only being about having money to spend. I'm not sure that's a plan. That's just having money to spend. I'm just saying there has to be more than that, whether it's in the next couple of days, before the draft, or in tandem with spending that money this summer.

MikeToronto 03-13-2012 01:09 PM

OK, let's come up with the plan, then, seeing as how we are prominent NBA executives. ;)

1. Don't do anything before the trade deadline, unless the deal is offered that either converts disposable assets (not in a long-term plan) into young players/picks or allows us to upgrade the assets that are potentially part of the long-term plan.

2. Lottery. Get as high a pick as we can by sacrificing virgins, dancing and such. ;)

3. On draft day, depending on how high our own pick is, how many extra picks might have been accumulated and who is available, some trades could be made.

4. And only now we come to the "money to be spent" part. With so many unknowns (see above), BC won't even know how much money he will have, who he might want to re-sign or let go or even amnesty, until at least after the draft night. Also, seeing as how we clearly aren't the preferred destination for the top FAs, I'd personally hope that he won't take this cap space and use it to overpay for middling quality players again. But regardless of that - now is clearly too early to think of a plan in terms any more concrete than "improving our team long-term while remaining flexible in terms of cap".

moremilk 03-13-2012 02:19 PM

apparently nobody wants to deal picks anymore, there was an article on espn the other day
it's a deep draft and people are really scared of the looming harsher luxury tax and want to stockpile cheap talent while they can

jeffb 03-13-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moremilk (Post 625384)
apparently nobody wants to deal picks anymore, there was an article on espn the other day
it's a deep draft and people are really scared of the looming harsher luxury tax and want to stockpile cheap talent while they can

Good, then our pick should be valuable in a deal then?

Davis + #7ish pick for INSERT STAR HERE :mischief:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24