D.Smith: Could Reggie Evans be bought out soon?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
is waiting for the season to start

Senior Member
 
Ex2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,216
Representing:
Lightbulb D.Smith: Could Reggie Evans be bought out soon?

I love Reggie and wish there's some how we can keep him around and give him mins without killing the development of our Bigs...

Quote:
There was an interesting question in the mail yesterday that kind of got short shrift and got me to thinking more last night.

It had to do with the possibility – remote that it may be – of the Raptors buying out Reggie Evans.

I still don’t think it’ll happen, no one from the team has ever broached the subject even in private conversation but, at some level, doesn’t it make a bit of sense?

In a perfect world, Reggie comes back, grabs his dozen rebounds a game, the Raptors win a bunch of games and have all kinds of momentum going into the post-season.

We do not live in a perfect world.

So, in order to keep giving Ed Davis the minutes he’s been getting, and to run Alexis Ajinca out there every now and then to see what he’s got, maybe a Bye Bye Reggie Buyout is on someone’s mind.

But, as I said, no one’s brought it up even in passing so I don’t think anything will happen.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/
Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,599
Representing:
Default

Reggie beating the shit out of the other bigs in practice is good for their development.

Reggie taking their minutes during a game is not.

What the fuck are you gonna do?
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,895
Representing:
Default

Just sit him on the bench as the insurance big, and he can still help out in practice (maybe as barg's rebounding coach)
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
is waiting for the season to start

Senior Member
 
Ex2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,216
Representing:
Default

I'd rather see Dorsey go...
Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Get rid of Ajinca and give those minutes to Reggie. I'll take 10 minutes of Reggie over 10 minutes of Ajinca.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Reggie could be a player-coach for this team.... dude brings tenacity, loyalty, empathy and experience..... but he's just too injury prone to rely on for a big man.

If he wants a buyout, give him one... if not, keep him. He's likely gone next year though.... but I like the guy (a hell of a lot more than JK)
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Get rid of Ajinca and give those minutes to Reggie. I'll take 10 minutes of Reggie over 10 minutes of Ajinca.
Ajinca at least has the size to bang with the big boys..... he just needs more instruction....
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,895
Representing:
Default

how great, debating on whether to get rid of one scrub or the other, or to keep a guy that keeps breaking his foot.....oh this team has a long way to go
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Ajinca at least has the size to bang with the big boys..... he just needs more instruction....
He doesn't really use his size though. Defensively he's a pest because of his size but again I really don't think he sees himself as a shot blocker.

Offensively, he's out on the perimeter. Tallest guy on the floor. On the perimeter.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,628
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Offensively, he's out on the perimeter. Tallest guy on the floor. On the perimeter.
you say that like we've never seen it before
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
how great, debating on whether to get rid of one scrub or the other, or to keep a guy that keeps breaking his foot.....oh this team has a long way to go
So, why are you contributing to it?
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought View Post
you say that like we've never seen it before
hah
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 895
Representing:
Default

i'd take Reggie over Ajinca and Dorsey in a heartbeat

we at least know what Reggie can do, those other two scrubs are on the roster based solely on potential, and lets be real, they aren't gonna develop into anything
jrob23 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
He doesn't really use his size though. Defensively he's a pest because of his size but again I really don't think he sees himself as a shot blocker.

Offensively, he's out on the perimeter. Tallest guy on the floor. On the perimeter.
I agree... hence the 'more instruction' part..... Ajinca hasn't really played a lot in the NBA, and even now he's still getting acclimated through limited game minutes...... Maybe he's not getting the right messages from the coaching staff, and I wouldn't hesitate to question the ability/validity of all the 'yes men' on this staff.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob23 View Post
i'd take Reggie over Ajinca and Dorsey in a heartbeat

we at least know what Reggie can do, those other two scrubs are on the roster based solely on potential, and lets be real, they aren't gonna develop into anything
There are alot of bigs that develop into serviceable rotation players well after their third year..... what's the longterm prognosis of keeping Reggie? In two years, we then need to look for new potential guys? Why not run with potential right now when wins aren't the primary objective and maybe we get lucky with their development.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,474
Representing:
Default

Peja gets injured: Bought out.
Reggie gets injured: Bought out.

That'll teach the players to stay healthy.
Dark Knight is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

If Reggie wants to go to a contender, and we aren't intending to keep him next year, then he deserves a buyout
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I agree... hence the 'more instruction' part..... Ajinca hasn't really played a lot in the NBA, and even now he's still getting acclimated through limited game minutes...... Maybe he's not getting the right messages from the coaching staff, and I wouldn't hesitate to question the ability/validity of all the 'yes men' on this staff.
More instruction? He's the tallest guy in the court. His instinct HAS to be, I'm playing in the post. Not the perimeter. Instruction would be, what to do in the post. Ajinca is one of those bigs that is more comfortable on the perimeter. It's hard to teach to a player where he should be. You're wasting time then.

It's a big reason why I enjoy Ed Davis. He knows where he should be on the court. 10 - 12 ft and when the shot goes up, he's crashing the boards. You can work with a big like that because he's positionally sound. You're not trying to reinvent the wheel.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
There are alot of bigs that develop into serviceable rotation players well after their third year..... what's the longterm prognosis of keeping Reggie? In two years, we then need to look for new potential guys? Why not run with potential right now when wins aren't the primary objective and maybe we get lucky with their development.
Very few.

I'm gonna need examples. Really Desanga Diop is the one that jumps to top of mind.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
More instruction? He's the tallest guy in the court. His instinct HAS to be, I'm playing in the post. Not the perimeter. Instruction would be, what to do in the post. Ajinca is one of those bigs that is more comfortable on the perimeter. It's hard to teach to a player where he should be. You're wasting time then.

It's a big reason why I enjoy Ed Davis. He knows where he should be on the court. 10 - 12 ft and when the shot goes up, he's crashing the boards. You can work with a big like that because he's positionally sound. You're not trying to reinvent the wheel.
I agree and disagree!

Instruction can be "get your ass to this spot or you're not playing" as well.... or similar variations too..... yeah he's comfortable on the perimeter, but maybe he's not had the best coaching previously. I've seen him under the basket on D, and there is zero reason to believe that he can't improve. He has size, length, and decent athleticism for a big.... and for a team that has consistently been running out undersized C's for the last ten years, I can't believe anyone would rather dump him as a project when guys like Dorsey are still on the team...

I love Davis too.... but if we continue to run Davis, Amir and AB out against bruisers, we're likely cutting their career longevity short.... we might not see that on a day to day basis, but hindsight is a favourite at RF.... lol If I'm still a member in 5 years, I'll be reading those complaints too
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24