Could we get a top 7 pick
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default Could we get a top 7 pick

By trading Jose a future #1 pick?
Maybe sweetened with a couple 2nd rounders and some cash?
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Why? We barely want the #8...


And, sorry but wasting a future #1 and Jose on a draft pick seems like a waste when you could get an actual asset(s) for that kind of package with an established proven player aquired. And if we are going after Nash this is the last thing we need.

Last edited by jeffb; 06-21-2012 at 11:43 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

You may not want it, I'd love to have another pick so we can draft both a pg and a sf together. Do you really think Nash and igoudala would be enough to compete with the nba elite?
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
You may not want it, I'd love to have another pick so we can draft both a pg and a sf together. Do you really think Nash and igoudala would be enough to compete with the nba elite?
No, but a #5-7 pick wouldn't either.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,198
Representing:
Default

It would be very hard to get a top 7 pick - all the teams in the top 7 would benefit from adding young talent in the draft, and would be reluctant to trade in such a good draft year.

Maybe Sacramento, Portland or GSW would be interested in a trade, but I think it would only happen if they got the 8 pick in return.

I don't think that a future first round pick would be worth much, since the Raptors have been saying that they'll be active in free agency, and are looking to make the playoffs.

Jose isn't worth much except to a team looking to dump salary through a deal for an expiring contract. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player. But he's not worth his salary.

Also, from the Raptors' perspective, if they intend to sign a PG in free agency along with a SF they'll probably want to amnesty Calderon to free up cap space. That can't happen if he's traded.

I would say that Jose + a future first might be worth a late lottery pick, but no more than that.

That said, a late lottery pick or a low seeded playoff pick could be a Moe Harkless, Quincy Miller or Terrence Ross, so that's definitely something to investigate. If it was me I'd be shopping for a pick in the 15-20 range to get Quincy Miller. If he gets healthy he could play the starting SF position in Toronto for a decade.

Last edited by EggsToTheBBQ; 06-22-2012 at 12:40 AM.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
LOG
Is sick and tired of Casey

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,741
Representing:
Default

If we get Nash I would rather do something like Jose (maybe even+ 2nd rounder) for a future first pick of Kings or some other team that will suck next year.
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
It would be very hard to get a top 7 pick - all the teams in the top 7 would benefit from adding young talent in the draft, and would be reluctant to trade in such a good draft year.

Maybe Sacramento, Portland or GSW would be interested in a trade, but I think it would only happen if they got the 8 pick in return.

I don't think that a future first round pick would be worth much, since the Raptors have been saying that they'll be active in free agency, and are looking to make the playoffs.

Jose isn't worth much except to a team looking to dump salary through a deal for an expiring contract. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player. But he's not worth his salary.

Also, from the Raptors' perspective, if they intend to sign a PG in free agency along with a SF they'll probably want to amnesty Calderon to free up cap space. That can't happen if he's traded.

I would say that Jose + a future first might be worth a late lottery pick, but no more than that.

That said, a late lottery pick or a low seeded playoff pick could be a Moe Harkless, Quincy Miller or Terrence Ross, so that's definitely something to investigate.
jose should definitely not be amnestied. Say we don't end up getting rid of Jose, and even we do sign nash. Nash starting, with jose backing him up makes us extremely solid at the pg spot, albeit expensive. Then the next year you can trade Jose for an impact or potential piece, or even have his contract ride out and sign him to a manageable 4-5 mil a year contract for 3 years. We don't need to get rid of Jose, even with his contract we have cap space.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
Aamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 5,224
Representing:
Default

Top 3 or 4 I would probably do it.
Aamir is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
jose should definitely not be amnestied. Say we don't end up getting rid of Jose, and even we do sign nash. Nash starting, with jose backing him up makes us extremely solid at the pg spot, albeit expensive. Then the next year you can trade Jose for an impact or potential piece, or even have his contract ride out and sign him to a manageable 4-5 mil a year contract for 3 years. We don't need to get rid of Jose, even with his contract we have cap space.

Jose should be traded or amnestied. If BC wants to get Nash he's going to have to make a pretty signficant move or two between now and free agency. If you sign Nash that's the end of the capspace or most of it which means you either have to amnesty jose to get someone like Batum or make a trade for a SF which is the most likely. I do think the amnesty will be used on someone this summer for added cash to add depth at the very least.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

If Nash comes here you need to acquire someone who he can mentee.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
If Nash comes here you need to acquire someone who he can mentee.
Methinks Marshall fits that description awful nice.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
LOG
Is sick and tired of Casey

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Methinks Marshall fits that description awful nice.
+1
LOG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,591
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Methinks Marshall fits that description awful nice.
then he has to teach him to shoot first.
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
then he has to teach him to shoot first.
He's not THAT bad a shooter. 46% FG%, 35% 3PT%, 70% FT%.

And our coaching staff has proven over the past few years to be a very good shot teaching staff.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
then he has to teach him to shoot first.
The old adage, you can teach shooting not court vision / bbIQ - which he definitely has both of. Besides, he wasn't asked to be a shooter for the team he was on - if any skill can be developed that would be the one.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,591
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
He's not THAT bad a shooter. 46% FG%, 35% 3PT%, 70% FT%.

And our coaching staff has proven over the past few years to be a very good shot teaching staff.
he's not going to get those easy layups he could get against sub par teams and defenders wanted him to shoot giving him easier looks.
DeRozan shot 52% in college. shot 42% last year
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
he's not going to get those easy layups he could get against sub par teams and defenders wanted him to shoot giving him easier looks.
DeRozan shot 52% in college. shot 42% last year
DeMar was also a top 2 option for an NBA team. Marshall won't be - he'll only need to hit open shots.

The biggest difference between the NCAA and the NBA is the athleticism and size - which would have a lot more of an effect on a scorer like DeRozan than a playmaker like Marshall.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,591
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
DeMar was also a top 2 option for an NBA team. Marshall won't be - he'll only need to hit open shots.

The biggest difference between the NCAA and the NBA is the athleticism and size - which would have a lot more of an effect on a scorer like DeRozan than a playmaker like Marshall.
sure. but we already have a better version of Marshall in Calderon.
rather see us get a PG that brings a different skill set or take a wing player.
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
angling

Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
sure. but we already have a better version of Marshall in Calderon.
rather see us get a PG that brings a different skill set or take a wing player.
I agree. I think that there is very little chance that Marshall will be as effective as Calderon in the next couple of years. I don't see Marshall as being a long-term star, so it might be better to look for a future PG some other way (via trade or upcoming drafts). I think it would make more sense to upgrade elsewhere, particularly on the wing where we really need a shooter / scorer and some better D.
Gofish is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Jose should be traded or amnestied.
Yup.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24