Colangelo learning the virtue of patience - Page 2
Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,353
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
No no more practical knowlege? Come on, Babcock being a nerd was the least of his problems. The guy was simply put inexperienced and in over his head. What has he done since?
Sorry... but expecting a GM to turn around a capped out team with a disgruntled superstar in ONE season was the height of lunacy. I didn't mind him at all because he actually came out and told it like it was. He wasn't afraid to say "honestly... we aren't going to be very good this year". He DID say that and people roasted him for it.

People prefer BC's "used car salesman" approach.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

interesting article in 'the oak' from dec 7, 2011 that addresses this (a link to which was posted here on rf today):

The Oak

Quote:
Toronto Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo held a press conference today to announce that his team will suck this year - well he worded it a bit differently and said it with more polish - but this was the GM's undeniable message when he addressed the media this afternoon.

And you know what, I couldn't be happier.

Instead of talking about possible free agent signings, or cap flexibility, or trade possibilities, Bryan Colangelo made it known that the team's only goal is to build for the future and that no action will be taken if it compromises this commitment.

When listening to BC confidently state his intentions, I couldn't help think that BC has finally taken a page out of the book of AA - stop toying with fans' expectations, build from the ground up with young, athletic and promising young prospects, and then promise glory. Don't try to manufacturer short term success (uh..hello Turkoglu!), instead, check your ego for a year or two and build a properly constructed team - one that has the ability to sustain its achievements rather than finish 9th and get a crappy draft pick.

If Bryan Colangelo is finally willing to admit that the Raptors need to rebuild (which it appears he is) and if he is confident enough in his own ability to withstand tough times and harsh criticism (which I hope he is), the Raptors may finally be on the right path to success. The AA path to success.

That's why in a weird - only in sports kinda way - listening to Bryan Colangelo state matter-of-factly that his team will suck actually has the effect of inspiring more confidence and loyalty than if he spoke about playoffs and hope and all that other fluffy stuff.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Sorry... but expecting a GM to turn around a capped out team with a disgruntled superstar in ONE season was the height of lunacy. I didn't mind him at all because he actually came out and told it like it was. He wasn't afraid to say "honestly... we aren't going to be very good this year". He DID say that and people roasted him for it.

People prefer BC's "used car salesman" approach.

Give BC a prime VC and see what he can get for him. Trade demand and all. Babcock fucked himself with that deal along with Arujao.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,353
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Give BC a prime VC and see what he can get for him. Trade demand and all. Babcock fucked himself with that deal along with Arujao.
BC didn't get anything for Bosh... so why would you think he could get any more for VC?

Besides, Peddie & the board pushed that deal through over Babcock's head. It was made WELL in advance of the trade deadline which should have pointed to things being fishy at best.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,491
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
BC didn't get anything for Bosh... so why would you think he could get any more for VC?

Besides, Peddie & the board pushed that deal through over Babcock's head. It was made WELL in advance of the trade deadline which should have pointed to things being fishy at best.
An argument could be made that he got a huge trade exception and picks for a third starter!
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,940
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
BC didn't get anything for Bosh... so why would you think he could get any more for VC?

Besides, Peddie & the board pushed that deal through over Babcock's head. It was made WELL in advance of the trade deadline which should have pointed to things being fishy at best.
the difference being that Bosh had a choice to leave, he had the upper hand and could have left for absolutely nothing. vince was still under contract, the management had the upper hand and yet, we got fuck all for him.
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,353
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity View Post
the difference being that Bosh had a choice to leave, he had the upper hand and could have left for absolutely nothing. vince was still under contract, the management had the upper hand and yet, we got fuck all for him.
Isn't ORL in the same situation right now with D12?

I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that they end up trading him before the deadline.

We got fuck all for Vince because the MLSE bean counters saw a way to save $4-5M and jumped at the chance.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,084
Representing:
Default

Oakley would never support a GM telling his fanbase they are going to suck.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
BC didn't get anything for Bosh... so why would you think he could get any more for VC?

Besides, Peddie & the board pushed that deal through over Babcock's head. It was made WELL in advance of the trade deadline which should have pointed to things being fishy at best.
He also didn't pout and demand a trade, very different. Sorry but but if Bosh went to him and said he wasn't staying and demanded a trade he would have done better than Babcock did with the VC deal. And BC has actually turned Bosh leaving into a couple assets.Sorry but Babcock was awful....btw where is he now?

Last edited by jeffb; 12-26-2011 at 04:51 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,353
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
He also didn't pout and demand a trade, very different. Sorry but but if Bosh went to him and said he wasn't staying and demanded a trade he would have done better than Babcock did with the VC deal. Sorry but Babcock was awful....btw where is he now?
Currently Asst. GM for the T-Wolves. Looks like they're doing a quality job there if you ask me.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Currently Asst. GM for the T-Wolves. Looks like they're doing a quality job there if you ask me.
They're ok despite their often questionable moves. I still think he's a tool.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,940
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Isn't ORL in the same situation right now with D12?

I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that they end up trading him before the deadline.

We got fuck all for Vince because the MLSE bean counters saw a way to save $4-5M and jumped at the chance.
if iam not mistaken, Vince still had 3 years left on his deal. dwight is a free agent this offseason.

thats the difference.
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,353
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity View Post
if iam not mistaken, Vince still had 3 years left on his deal. dwight is a free agent this offseason.

thats the difference.
I know. I mean that D12 is a FA the same way that Bosh was.

I'm sure that ORL is going to get something for him at the deadline though.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #34 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,284
Representing:
Default

The big difference is that Bosh told everybody that he will stay, while howard publicly declared he wanted to leave. Colangelo had no choice but to try to keep building around bosh, otherwise he would have looked silly trading his star player based on internet rumours. That's the main reason i wad pissed off when Bosh left.

Of course, we now know that Bosh lied about his intentions because he didn't really want to be traded. The only team he wanted to go had nothng to offer.

The reality is we would have gotten shit even if we tried to trade him because any team would have wanted him to sign an extension before surrendering any assets in a trade.

We were all f..ed by bosh, fans and management alike. Hopefully he'll get to regret that decision one day.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,284
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Currently Asst. GM for the T-Wolves. Looks like they're doing a quality job there if you ask me.
That's a joke, right? Minesotta is THE most ridiculed front office in the league right now, and it's not really close.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

i posted this before in the 12 days of christmas thread - from simmons:

Quote:
• Minnesota paid $19 million for four years for J.J. Barea, making him the third free agent point guard in three years that they've signed for at least $16 million (even though they spent three first-round picks on point guards over that same timeframe) and giving them three point guards for the 2011-12 season. I don't know what to tell you.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,084
Representing:
Default

It's a stacking principle.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #38 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Uhhhhm, it's a forum. What else would you expect?


Heh, ya i guess jeff.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,084
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I agree.... Unfortunately, these days (and particularly in this market) you're going to have to have a GM who's skilled in playing the politician because people are incredibly impatient and rarely understand the big picture.

What BC is saying now is essentially what Babcock said back in the day. Problem is Babcock was a nerd, so no on took him seriously. BC may not have any more practical knowledge but he certainly has the air of a confident man about him.
Torap, I've always hated on Babcock. But with the Raptor's playing so horribly, I did some reading, and in retrospect, it looks like Babcock might of known exactly what he was doing.

Fact is Carter turned into a liability, and he managed to trade him without getting a liability back.

Calderon/Bosh/Mitchell/Cap Room.

I apologize Mr. Babcock, you served Collagenlo a tasty dish in stride for a wide open layup and he bobbled the ball horribly.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #40 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,353
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
That's a joke, right? Minesotta is THE most ridiculed front office in the league right now, and it's not really close.
I don't see why that should be the case when they're currently boasting some of the best young talent in the league and have secured themselves an excellent coach.

The Barea decision was a curious one but in the grand scheme of things I'd say that their future looks very bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
The big difference is that Bosh told everybody that he will stay, while howard publicly declared he wanted to leave. Colangelo had no choice but to try to keep building around bosh, otherwise he would have looked silly trading his star player based on internet rumours. That's the main reason i wad pissed off when Bosh left.

Of course, we now know that Bosh lied about his intentions because he didn't really want to be traded. The only team he wanted to go had nothng to offer.

The reality is we would have gotten shit even if we tried to trade him because any team would have wanted him to sign an extension before surrendering any assets in a trade.

We were all f..ed by bosh, fans and management alike. Hopefully he'll get to regret that decision one day.
LOL... D12 is telling everyone that he wants to leave NOW. When Bosh left guys like Howard and Melo were turning up their noses at the time, saying how "they would never do that to their team". Howard in particular continued to say how much he wanted to stay and how much he loved ORL... while ignoring the extension put forth by the Magic. And now, in spite of the fact that he's had many good seasons with ORL and gone to the finals he wants to leave for greener pastures. Yeah.... what an angel he is.

Why would Bosh regret anything? He made the smartest decision out of any of those guys by far. Odds are he'll have a ring by season's end this year. Now Melo? Amare? THEY look like a complete idiots IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Torap, I've always hated on Babcock. But with the Raptor's playing so horribly, I did some reading, and in retrospect, it looks like Babcock might of known exactly what he was doing.

Fact is Carter turned into a liability, and he managed to trade him without getting a liability back.

Calderon/Bosh/Mitchell/Cap Room.

I apologize Mr. Babcock, you served Collagenlo a tasty dish in stride for a wide open layup and he bobbled the ball horribly.
Truth.

Last edited by TORaptor4Ever; 01-22-2012 at 12:53 AM.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24