Coaching staff candidates - Page 2
Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,779
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
What's odd is he did a better job at that stuff his first season here.
Before BC started meddling in his second year? - not coincidence that MLSE outright told DC to play whom he wants....that was late in the season too.

I want to see DC coach outright with no meddling - we'll see better results than we did the first year. Helps that DC does not have a pg controversy, will not have Bargs, has Gay, and won't have BC messing around. Recipe for a nice turnaround.
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,951
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Before BC started meddling in his second year? - not coincidence that MLSE outright told DC to play whom he wants....that was late in the season too.

I want to see DC coach outright with no meddling - we'll see better results than we did the first year. Helps that DC does not have a pg controversy, will not have Bargs, has Gay, and won't have BC messing around. Recipe for a nice turnaround.
And I would have think he'll have a better bench as well.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
And I would have think he'll have a better bench as well.
Won't help if he can't improve his rotations, inbound play calling, offensive schemes, and game management.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,951
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Won't help if he can't improve his rotations, inbound play calling, offensive schemes, and game management.

I agree. I would rather us go and get an experienced HC and sign him to a 4yr deal, changing the culture top to bottom and go from there.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
waiting...

Member
 
myklue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Richmond Hill
Posts: 463
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
What's odd is he did a better job at that stuff his first season here.
yeah i dont get it. he did better with arguably worse players and i didn't see improvement. i saw a decrease in progress and more inconsistent than anything.
myklue is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
feeling free and doesn't give a f@k

Council Elder
 
heelmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 370
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
That's just a dumb conclusion. Casey has proven nothing as a head coach and to suggest he stays in the name of stability is absurd. Culture and stability will come from TL and MU and Casey will be long gone when this thing turns around, and the sooner the better.
I'm not so sure about that. We were "stable" with the old management for 7 years, and regressed, so upper management has small impact in the culture aspect. However the coach and his staff directly impacts the on court identity and playing culture of the team.
D. Casey had a tough time with BC on his head about the pet trio of Barney, Fields and Anderson and court time. I am not his biggest booster by any stretch, but I think he can grow into the job. Spolestra had a hard time getting the Heat to gel, he was under a lot of pressure the first two years, but he grew up to the task, and of course the big 3 got on board.
Now its our turn to hit pause on the coach roasting, and let this one be.

Last edited by heelmaniac; 06-15-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: puntuation
heelmaniac is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,779
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelmaniac View Post
I'm not so sure about that. He had a tough time with BC on his head about the pet trio of Barney, Fields and Anderson and court time. I am not his biggest booster by any stretch, but I think he can grow into the job. Spolestra had a hard time getting the Heat to gel, he was under a lot of pressure the first two years, but he grew up to the task, and of course the big 3 got on board.
Now its our turn to hit pause on the coach roasting, and let this one be.
+1
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelmaniac View Post
I'm not so sure about that. We were "stable" with the old management for 7 years, and regressed, so upper management has small impact in the culture aspect. However the coach and his staff directly impacts the on court identity and playing culture of the team.
D. Casey had a tough time with BC on his head about the pet trio of Barney, Fields and Anderson and court time. I am not his biggest booster by any stretch, but I think he can grow into the job. Spolestra had a hard time getting the Heat to gel, he was under a lot of pressure the first two years, but he grew up to the task, and of course the big 3 got on board.
Now its our turn to hit pause on the coach roasting, and let this one be.
Even sillier than before. Time in the job doesn't equal stability. BC could never make up his mind which way the team should go. He inherited Smitch, and when he was too hard on the players, he turned to Triano who was a soft buddy buddy coach, then he decided the team should have a defensive presence, so he hired Casey, and then decided we needed "shooters" to move ahead, and every one saw what happened last year. If anything, we've had " unstable" management that changed it's mind again and again. Upper management had HUGE impact on our culture and performance. Spoelstra grew up to the task, because Pat Riley had his back. That was stable management and culture.The hard time getting the Heat to gel had nothing to do with Spoelstra, it was all touch and go while Wade and James were sorting out who the on-court leader was going to be, not the coaching. Casey isn't in Spoelstra's league as a coach, and BC certainly wasn't in Riley's league as an executive. Casey is a flawed coach chosen by a flawed GM. Getting rid of him isn't coach roasting. It's cleaning up the wounds inflicted by BC.

Last edited by niggles; 06-15-2013 at 07:26 PM.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,227
Representing:
Default

Hard to disagree with Heel...except about the idea that Alan Anderson is somehow Collangelo's guy and not Casey's.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
feeling free and doesn't give a f@k

Council Elder
 
heelmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 370
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Even sillier than before. Time in the job doesn't equal stability. BC could never make up his mind which way the team should go. He inherited Smitch, and when he was too hard on the players, he turned to Triano who was a soft buddy buddy coach, then he decided the team should have a defensive presence, so he hired Casey, and then decided we needed "shooters" to move ahead, and every one saw what happened last year. If anything, we've had " unstable" management that changed it's mind again and again. Upper management had HUGE impact on our culture and performance. Spoelstra grew up to the task, because Pat Riley had his back. That was stable management and culture.The hard time getting the Heat to gel had nothing to do with Spoelstra, it was all touch and go while Wade and James were sorting out who the on-court leader was going to be, not the coaching. Casey isn't in Spoelstra's league as a coach, and BC certainly wasn't in Riley's league as an executive. Casey is a flawed coach chosen by a flawed GM. Getting rid of him isn't coach roasting. It's cleaning up the wounds inflicted by BC.
so you agree with me ... stop throwing them under the bus when, as management, you make bad choices.

just so you know, the *stable* was scarcasm
heelmaniac is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
likes the consistency in the colangelo built raptors

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,437
Representing:
Default

man we need a new coach, we got brian shaw just waiting for a job, we could get him signed up tomorrow

I don't like when a gm has a guy from the previous regime, MU needs to get his guy,
rapsmannn is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #32 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,288
Representing:
Default

Is there a correlation? Yes. Is there a causation, probably. But which direction is the cause, and which is the effect? Wouldn't you want to keep your team together if you were having long term success? Why change?
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #33 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

He probably wasn't considered at all but we can cross Alvin Williams off the list
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #34 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,951
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Not that Dwane or Masai would ever confirm this at the moment, on or off the record, the word around the Finals has been that Johnny Davis, Scott Roth and Tom Sterner will not be back next fall.

Who replaces them?

Well, I keep hearing Popeye Jones and Nick Nurse, who coached Dallas’s D League team but here’s one that I couldn’t confirm anywhere but one that might make an awful lot of sense according to a couple of guys I know.

Rex Kalamian, one of Dwane’s best friends who’s now on the Oklahoma City staff of Scott Brooks, whether he’d come or not on a one-year deal is the great unknown which is why I’m not nearly as confident about that possibility as I am about Popeye and Nurse.

And here’s one other thing to consider: If there was an assistant on George Karl’s staff that Masai got to like a lot after watching him work for a couple of years, wouldn’t it make sense for the new GM to at least set up a chat for someone with Dwane to see if they were a match?

But whatever happens is going to happen soon; I’m thinking we have total resolution on the three vacancies by Wednesday.
A bit of coaching news and more appreciation for a great series - Doug Smith's Sports Blog
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24