Chisholm: What to do with Barbosa?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,592
Representing:
Arrow Chisholm: What to do with Barbosa?

Quote:
What to do with Leandro Barbosa? That is one of the most intriguing questions facing the Raptors as they head into the second summer of their rebuilding project. Despite Friday night's heroics in the Raptors' win over Indiana, Barbosa would seem ill-suited to a club in such an early stage of rebuilding. But at the same time, his talents could help the Raptors get competitive a lot faster if they keep him around. It's a situation with no obvious answer despite the reverberations all through the roster.

First, consider what kind of player Barbosa is; he's a straight scorer. There is nothing else of note to really discuss with regards to his game, which makes placing his role on a team (rebuilding or otherwise) eminently easy. Despite being the size of a typical point guard (6-foot-3), he's not a very willing passer. Despite having enviable foot speed, he's not a very aggressive defender. Barbosa is a streak shooter of the highest order, and like his peers (Jason Terry, J.R. Smith and Jamal Crawford), if he gets hot he can be the difference between a win and a loss - like he was Friday night at the ACC.

After an up-and-down first few months of the season (due to roster turnover and various nagging injuries), Barbosa has steadied his game in recent weeks and brought his overall averages above those in his injury-riddled 2009-10 campaign with the Phoenix Suns. He's scoring 12.8 ppg and shooting 44.6% on the season, though that percentage is dragged down by a horrific 39.8% clip in February, and he's got his three-point percentage above his career-low level of a season ago by 0.01%. While he's still way off of his career-best numbers, he's still young enough to have several strong seasons left in his body, so long as his body doesn't keep breaking down like it has over the last two years.

Quote:
Not only is Barbosa taking shots away from Bayless, though, he's taking them away from the entire Raptors roster. When Barbosa is sharing the floor with reserves like Bayless, Ed Davis and Sonny Weems, he tends to dominate the ball and the team's offensive attack, leaving a lot of players standing around watching him pound the ball or isolate against his man. When Barbosa was the sixth man on a Phoenix team annually looking to make deep playoff runs, this was expected because he was the most important reserve the team had and he kept the offense humming along with the second unit.

With the Raptors, though, guys like Bayless and Davis aren't fill-in bench guys, they are young developing players that need to be involved as more than just props in Barbosa's offensive exploits. This is not a knock on Barbosa, who is playing exactly how he always has and how he should to maximize his skills, but the circumstances around him are different and the coaches and management have to decide if the trade-offs are worth it, not just this year but next year as well. Next year, the team will have at least one more lottery pick to integrate, which either means he'll be sharing the floor with Barbosa or he'll push a current starter to the bench. How many young players are they going to leave standing around while Barbosa does his thing for a club that needs to involve their young developing players as much as possible? Keep in mind, too, that at some point next season, the Raptors are going to have to attempt to re-integrate the injured Linas Kleiza, and if he's not scoring, he too, doesn't have a lot to do out there on the court.
LINK - TSN.ca
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

I like his abilities, but i hate what he brings to this team. Also, he can be a good player, but he sucks for the most part.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,588
Representing:
Default

Article is missing the fact that he is our best defensive player.
And that he is a great teammate

Taking shots away is a questionable argument. I rather have him shooting than Weems or Bayless. Unless you're heavily into tanking. Then yes, Barbosa is a nuisance.
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,064
Representing:
Default

How is Barbosa the team's best defender? He way over-helps (Steve Nash Syndrome) and gambles too much. Though he has had a couple games where his scoring has helped the bench out, more often than not I feel like he is out there playing his own game, chucking away while the rest of the players stand around waiting for a rebound.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
Taking shots away is a questionable argument. I rather have him shooting than Weems or Bayless. Unless you're heavily into tanking. Then yes, Barbosa is a nuisance.
I don't know... i think Barbosa has helped out the tanking cause tremendously.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

People fail to realize he's not a chucker.... the guy is an ideal 6th man. He attacks rather than settling.

Teammates love Barbosa, and he brings it every game. He doesn't complain about being a bench guy and he stands up for his team (Indiana knows this now).

You can't have every player on the team under 25 years old....
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
Article is missing the fact that he is our best defensive player.
And that he is a great teammate

Taking shots away is a questionable argument. I rather have him shooting than Weems or Bayless. Unless you're heavily into tanking. Then yes, Barbosa is a nuisance.
Is there a way to see what Bayless' shooting percentage is when he's spotting up versus trying to get his own shot off the dribble? I seem to think he hits alot more shots off of a pass than he does otherwise... maybe I'm wrong...
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,588
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Is there a way to see what Bayless' shooting percentage is when he's spotting up versus trying to get his own shot off the dribble? I seem to think he hits alot more shots off of a pass than he does otherwise... maybe I'm wrong...
Yes I noticed that too. He could be quite good spot-up 3pt specialist. Better than Barbosa and Weems at least.
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
hoping Rudy-G will save the season

Senior Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Espoo, Finland
Posts: 2,073
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
How is Barbosa the team's best defender? He way over-helps (Steve Nash Syndrome) and gambles too much.
I agree. While Barbosa gets steals and reflections at good rate, its all due to the fact that he gambles a lot defensively. He is quick and active defender, but he isnt the type that shuts down opposing wings. His style can lead to fast breaks, but it can also lead to easy baskets by opponents.

The fact that our team defense is very lacking and we have guys like AB and Reggie under the basket that wont be blocking guys that get by their own defenfer, makes the gambling habit of Barbosa even riskier.
Rudy-T is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mean Muggin with his son

Swollen Member
 
b55bgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Rock AKA Newfoundland
Posts: 1,400
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
People fail to realize he's not a chucker.... the guy is an ideal 6th man. He attacks rather than settling.

Teammates love Barbosa, and he brings it every game. He doesn't complain about being a bench guy and he stands up for his team (Indiana knows this now).

You can't have every player on the team under 25 years old....
I totally agree. Barbosa is definitly what we need. But i dont thin we need him out there with bayless, they are kinda the same, but one of them is way bettter. guess which one.
b55bgc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,791
Representing:
Default

Barbosa takes alot of shots, but who else off the bench do you want shooting? Derozan, Bargnani still get a tone of shots. I have no major problem with Barbosa, in fact i like the fact that if his jumper isn't going down he generally goes to the rim. Plus he hasn't been close to 100% all season. Barbosa has been the least of our problems.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,546
Representing:
Default

i really hope he declines his player option, and the more i think about it the more likely it seems.

dude is scheduled to make approx $7.5 mil for a shitty rebuilding team next year, with the new cba looming. he can either take that option and then try his luck for a next contract, being 1 year older with a likely much more restrictive cba (and possibly no season next year to showcase his talents), or he can decline the option and try to lock into a longer term deal at somewhere around the mle with a contender before the new cba kicks in.

he would make less $ next year, but his long-term earnings might be more stable anbd lucrative if he gets a contract done this summer.

fingers are crossed. we don't need him at all since we'll be terrible anyways. better to have that $7.5 mil to play with.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
i really hope he declines his player option, and the more i think about it the more likely it seems.

dude is scheduled to make approx $7.5 mil for a shitty rebuilding team next year, with the new cba looming. he can either take that option and then try his luck for a next contract, being 1 year older with a likely much more restrictive cba (and possibly no season next year to showcase his talents), or he can decline the option and try to lock into a longer term deal at somewhere around the mle with a contender before the new cba kicks in.

he would make less $ next year, but his long-term earnings might be more stable anbd lucrative if he gets a contract done this summer.

fingers are crossed. we don't need him at all since we'll be terrible anyways. better to have that $7.5 mil to play with.
If Barbosa has surgery this summer I doubt he'll turn down his option. Teams will want to see him make a recovery before signing him.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,791
Representing:
Default

I'd be pretty surprised if he turned down his option. As much as i like Barbosa i don't think it would be a bad thing if he did though.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
best, bro.

Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 207
Representing:
Default

Only starters should be "developing" as you can't develop everyone at the same time. Look at OKC, Westbrook and Durant were obviously prioritized and everything just fell into place. I think Derozan, Bargnani and eventually Davis should be the only people the Raps should be focusing on and let Barbosa play his game with the 2nd unit. Sorry JayBay....
tettays is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,588
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
How is Barbosa the team's best defender?
He actually tries to keep his man in front of him and make his life harder.
Not the "oh well, they set a screen for my guy, nothing I can do" type. Plus, its at PG position.
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3


 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

Curious as to why he hasn't been shut down, since he apparently requires surgery. The only reason I can conjure up is he flat out refuses to go under the knife - almost like he's playing for a new contract.
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Barbosa takes alot of shots, but who else off the bench do you want shooting? Derozan, Bargnani still get a tone of shots. I have no major problem with Barbosa, in fact i like the fact that if his jumper isn't going down he generally goes to the rim. Plus he hasn't been close to 100% all season. Barbosa has been the least of our problems.
Nice Jeff! I totally agree with you!

I think Barbosa is great for this team & I want him here going forward!
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,340
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneironaught View Post
Curious as to why he hasn't been shut down, since he apparently requires surgery. The only reason I can conjure up is he flat out refuses to go under the knife - almost like he's playing for a new contract.
Probabaly because the condition can't get worse.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,014
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

He's a cheaper version of Ben Gordon. He is what he is. Not the best player in the world. Not the worst player in the world.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24