Chisholm: Nothing seems to happen at the right time for Raps
Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,533
Representing:
Arrow Chisholm: Nothing seems to happen at the right time for Raps

Quote:
Why does it seem like in the Bryan Colangelo era, the Toronto Raptors are forced to make big, franchise-altering decisions at the worst possible times? To whit:

June 28, 2006 - Armed with their first number-one overall pick in team history, Raptors face one of the weakest draft classes in six years. They ultimately select Andrea Bargnani, who has proven to be one of the stronger selections from that class, but he is not the franchise-altering talent that teams like Orlando, Chicago and the Clippers got with their first-overall selections.

June 30, 2006 - Feeling they needed a starting-caliber point guard, the Raptors trade their biggest trade asset, Charlie Villanueva, to Milwaukee for T.J. Ford, only to discover early in the 2006-07 season that Jose Calderon would emerge as a legit point guard in his second year, negating somewhat the need for Ford.

April 24, 2007 - Sam Mitchell wins Coach of the Year, ostensibly forcing the team to re-sign him as head coach despite the team's need for an upgrade at the position. His contract expired at the perfect time for the team to go out and hire a more experienced replacement to take the team to the next level, but Mitchell's COY award made losing him look like a worse PR gaffe than signing him back. He was fired eighteen months later.

July 9, 2009 - Armed with a truckload of cap space to use in one last attempt to field a competitive supporting cast for free-agent-to-be Chris Bosh, Toronto signs the best free agent on the market, Hedo Turkoglu, despite his age and questionable fit with the team. Despite the previous year offering guys like Josh Smith and Monta Ellis and the subsequent year offering the bounty of the FA class of 2010, 2009 was a weak year and the Raps were forced to buy in a seller's market in an attempt to retain their star. Hedo was traded away a year later.

Spring 2011 - Bryan Colangelo is up for a contract extension, but no one yet knows how well equipped he is to lead the Raptors through their current rebuilding process. That is the subject now up for further investigation.

LINK - TSN.ca
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
DonMughal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 3,930
Representing:
Default

July 2011 - The Raptors go through a tough, long and losing season, yet there are high hopes as they are granted a top-3 pick in the 2011 draft. Unfortunately, this years draft is, once again, a very weak one for the Raptors with no player coming out that is capable of coming close to changing a franchise.
DonMughal is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,476
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMughal View Post
July 2011 - The Raptors go through a tough, long and losing season, yet there are high hopes as they are granted a top-3 pick in the 2011 draft. Unfortunately, this years draft is, once again, a very weak one for the Raptors with no player coming out that is capable of coming close to changing a franchise.
August 2011 - July 2015
Fans constantly bitch and moan that Colangelo should have taken Perry Jones instead of Sullinger, who has since emerged to be a top 5 player from the draft while Perry the third has become Tyrus the second....
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
DonMughal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 3,930
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
August 2011 - July 2015
Fans constantly bitch and moan that Colangelo should have taken Perry Jones instead of Sullinger, who has since emerged to be a top 5 player from the draft while Perry the third has become Tyrus the second....
I'm gunna sound like one of those fans right now, but woooahhh drafting Sullinger? He's a big man, we got enough. We got enough.
DonMughal is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,476
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMughal View Post
I'm gunna sound like one of those fans right now, but woooahhh drafting Sullinger? He's a big man, we got enough. We got enough.
well played good sir.... this draft will be depressingly weak
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
LX
Less is more. More or less. But mostly less. Or should that be more?

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 26,635
Representing:
Default

So a more experienced coach was going to replace Sam? Why do we have Triano then?
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
waiting for Casey to get fired

Senior Member
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,204
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Despite the previous year offering guys like Josh Smith and Monta Ellis and the subsequent year offering the bounty of the FA class of 2010, 2009 was a weak year and the Raps were forced to buy in a seller's market in an attempt to retain their star.
Wait, wait we were offered those two guys and we didn't jump on it. I hope I'm just reading it wrong because even back then those guys had huge potential.
Blaze is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,476
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Wait, wait we were offered those two guys and we didn't jump on it. I hope I'm just reading it wrong because even back then those guys had huge potential.
no, it's poorly written.... it's talking about the offering being the available FA class.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,968
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

It's a fair assessment, but it somewhat wreaks of a 'woe is me' complex.

I wonder how many other teams/gm's face these same conditions in their yearly plans and adjust.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
cheering for wins

Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Representing:
Default

Isn't it weird how it reads that the Raps needed an upgrade on the coach of the year? And that upgrade ended up being Jay? I don't follow.
ERaz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 69,982
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERaz View Post
Isn't it weird how it reads that the Raps needed an upgrade on the coach of the year? And that upgrade ended up being Jay? I don't follow.

Quote:
His contract expired at the perfect time for the team to go out and hire a more experienced replacement
He's right.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mean Muggin with his son

Swollen Member
 
b55bgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Rock AKA Newfoundland
Posts: 1,400
Representing:
Default

I really like how New York turned thier team around in the amount of a year.
Even when they didnt have Amare, they were playing very well together.
Toronto needs time to gel i think. I have faith.
2011 will be break out years for Davis and Derozan.
b55bgc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Psi
Only likes Hockey with 'Fantasy' infront of it

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,830
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b55bgc View Post
I really like how New York turned thier team around in the amount of a year.
Even when they didnt have Amare, they were playing very well together.
Toronto needs time to gel i think. I have faith.
2011 will be break out years for Davis and Derozan.
The only reason New York turned around was because it was New York that would not have happened in ANY other markets (save MAYBE LA(/Miami Obviously))
Psi is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
masai time is now trade, trade, and more trades

Senior Member
 
rapsmannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,385
Representing:
Default

well we hired BC to build around Bosh, it was impossible task in hand, we got the the playoffs twice, probably should have made it last year if it wasn't for htat baby Turk and a Bosh injury, or his damn missed put back in the Golden State game

not bad job, its average, its not great or terrible,

even though we've had a bad season record wise we've seen progression In Demar Derozan, and Andrea Bargnani, two guys htat BC is tied to, and I like what i see I love watching both these guys play, so I would to see what he can do at the C,SF,PG position to improve this team
rapsmannn is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
x_kaptain_x
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsmannn View Post
well we hired BC to build around Bosh, it was impossible task in hand, we got the the playoffs twice, probably should have made it last year if it wasn't for htat baby Turk and a Bosh injury, or his damn missed put back in the Golden State game

not bad job, its average, its not great or terrible,

even though we've had a bad season record wise we've seen progression In Demar Derozan, and Andrea Bargnani, two guys htat BC is tied to, and I like what i see I love watching both these guys play, so I would to see what he can do at the C,SF,PG position to improve this team
Agreed, I just can't see Bargnani as the starting C on a competitive team.. I just can't see it..
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
thinkin of a master plan

Member
 
MISAM38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 408
Representing:
Default

December 21, 2012- Raptors relocate to Pittsburgh, causin natural disasters and eventual "end of the world"
MISAM38 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
waiting for Casey to get fired

Senior Member
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,204
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
no, it's poorly written.... it's talking about the offering being the available FA class.
okay, thank you
Blaze is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
thinkin of a master plan

Member
 
MISAM38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 408
Representing:
Default

NY was baddd for a long time thou.
MISAM38 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24