Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Chisholm: Checking out Colangelo's shopping list of centres (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/chisholm-checking-out-colangelos-shopping-list-centres-20676.html)

Acie 06-28-2011 11:44 PM

Chisholm: Checking out Colangelo's shopping list of centres
 
Quote:

Ever since the NBA season has ended, Bryan Colangelo has been steadfast in his goal for this offseason: Get a centre and move Andrea Bargnani to his natural power forward position. He believes that last Thursday he got his centre of the future when he drafted Lithuanian big man Jonas Valanciunas fifth overall, but as has been reported again and again, Valanciunas won't be playing next season (assuming there is a season to play) in the NBA. So how committed is Colangelo to moving Bargnani to the four immediately? The day after the draft Colangelo was still telling all who'd listen that bringing in a centre NOW is the team's highest priority this offseason. He's said it could be via free agency, he said it could be via trade, but it would certainly appear at this point that if the Raptors were to open training camp without a new man in the middle that this offseason would be a failure by Colangelo's expectations.

For a long while fans of the team had hoped that when free agency came around Colangelo would open up the team's wallet to Memphis big man Marc Gasol. Gasol is a restricted free agent, meaning Memphis could match any offer Toronto bestowed, but Memphis has already inked big contracts with Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph and Mike Conley, making a large salary difficult for Memphis to swallow should Toronto offer one.


LINK - TSN.ca

Carlos Danger 06-29-2011 01:40 AM

Honestly, I'd love to see us sign Greg Oden.

Windex 06-29-2011 01:48 AM

If we sign Gasol then Bargs is gone for sure. He probably wants a 5/6 year contract and we do have JV as a future starter in 3/4 years

Carlos Danger 06-29-2011 01:52 AM

What would we do when Jonas comes over? Whoever we sign(be it Gasol, Oden, NeNe, etc.) will probably be a starter for the next few years. Do we trade them? Move them to PF?

cloudnine 06-29-2011 02:25 AM

Like I keep harping on, Kwame Brown on a 2-3 year deal.

RaptorsFan4Life 06-29-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windex (Post 555111)
If we sign Gasol then Bargs is gone for sure. He probably wants a 5/6 year contract and we do have JV as a future starter in 3/4 years

If Bargs is gone who's going to provide the O? Demar can't handle double teams for shit. We'd be like a worse defensive version of the bobcats last season.

Shifty.py 06-29-2011 03:34 AM

Dalembert!
He will rembound like Reggie, but also provide defense and finishing at the rim.

With our PGs offense shouldn't be a problem.
Calderon is best at getting our forwards ball in scoring positions and Bayless can score himself.

TheOtherGuy 06-29-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batman (Post 555107)
Honestly, I'd love to see us sign Greg Oden.

If not an injury's, I would love to see him with a Raptors jersey as well.

js12 06-29-2011 08:40 AM

I think we can and should take a gamble on Oden. Sign him to a short 2 or 3 yr deal. JV should be able to pick up the slack if he doesn't work out.

INSIDER 06-29-2011 09:06 AM

Gasol would be an absolute dream.

everyone else mentioned in this thread is either an injury risk (oden, sam d), or just plain garbage (kwame).

while Gasol would be expensive, he'd give us our first ever real NBA C.
and since he's young, he'd be a staple here for many years to come.

RAPMAN 06-29-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by js12 (Post 555153)
I think we can and should take a gamble on Oden. Sign him to a short 2 or 3 yr deal. JV should be able to pick up the slack if he doesn't work out.

We will know by today or tomorrow. Portland has Wednesday to give him a qualifying offer. Oden is high risk/high reward. High risk for his history of injury, but also for his high salary. Being a No. 1 pick, he made 6.8 million last year, and has a team qualifying offer for 8.8 million dollars next year.

fresh n' spicy 06-29-2011 09:13 AM

the only problem with marc gasol is he is a restricted free agent and memphis will probably match almost any offer (dont know how their salary cap situation is though). The other minor problem i see with us signing a centre is then we will be stacked with big men when valalciunas comes over and i would be worried about the development of val and ed davis since their playing time will significantly decrease because of it.

Shifty.py 06-29-2011 09:29 AM

Memphis has 50-52M committed salary
anything above 9M per for Gasol and they will have problem matching. And bird rights only go up to 7M starting salary.
But I don't want him. Lets go after Dalembert.

Tommy C 06-29-2011 09:59 AM

What's the point of drafting Jonas if we are trying to go after Gasol??? His he kind of a safety net for us in case we cant sign a Center?

'trane 06-29-2011 10:06 AM

gasol is 26 years old, valanciunas is 19. jv will likely not be a starting calibre nba player for another 2-3 years, and when he does come to the nba it would be superb if he had a veteran to learn from.

if we can somehow get gasol (and for the record i think the chances of this are almost zero), we do it and figure out who to trade later on.

Blaze 06-29-2011 10:07 AM

Gasol would be absolutely perfect but then he makes JV so redundant...

Torontosaurus 06-29-2011 10:11 AM

Their games might not be identical. I've watched Gasol but haven't seen enough of Vals playing style to say. We're very weak at the center position anyway.

jeffb 06-29-2011 10:18 AM

4yrs/42MIL for Gasol. In his 3rd year we should know if Jonas is ready to be the starter and if so maybe then you move Gasol and his expiring. Don't forget Jonas can also play PF. Not suggesting that's where he should play, but that might be an interesting combo.

Jonas/Davis/Amir
Gasol/Amir/Alabi

'trane 06-29-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaze (Post 555173)
Gasol would be absolutely perfect but then he makes JV so redundant...

you need 4 quality bigs to be a good nba team. currently we have bargs, jv, amir and ed. and jv isn't here until next year.

adding a fa centre gives us 4 quality bigs this year, and then all we have to do is make a determination of which of them we want to get rid of when jv is ready to play consistent minutes in the nba. if jv takes another year to develop after next, this decision doesn't have to be made until the 2013-14 season. maybe amir goes, maybe bargs goes, maybe whoever we get as a free agent goes. this is a good problem to have.

there is no big man redundancy on a team that only has 3 active bigs and one of them is andrea bargnani.

Blaze 06-29-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 555180)
you need 4 quality bigs to be a good nba team. currently we have bargs, jv, amir and ed. and jv isn't here until next year.

adding a fa centre gives us 4 quality bigs this year, and then all we have to do is make a determination of which of them we want to get rid of when jv is ready to play consistent minutes in the nba. if jv takes another year to develop after next, this decision doesn't have to be made until the 2013-14 season. maybe amir goes, maybe bargs goes, maybe whoever we get as a free agent goes. this is a good problem to have.

there is no big man redundancy on a team that only has 3 active bigs and one of them is andrea bargnani.

I'm not saying we don't need another big man center. If we get Mark though, JV will be useless, that's what I mean. Mark is really good and is only getting better, I doubt in three years JV will be good enough to replace him. Don't get me wrong, getting Mark would be a dream, I would just feel that we wasted our pick instead of using on something else we need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 555178)
4yrs/42MIL for Gasol. In his 3rd year we should know if Jonas is ready to be the starter and if so maybe then you move Gasol and his expiring. Don't forget Jonas can also play PF. Not suggesting that's where he should play, but that might be an interesting combo.

Jonas/Davis/Amir
Gasol/Amir/Alabi

Maybe later on but right now he's strictly a center. He can't shoot and can't drive, like 70% of his points are from right of the rim.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24