Casey Should Be An Assistant Coach - Page 3
Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #41 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,767
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
i'd be very happy if casey was our assistant and someone like rick carlisle was our head coach, but we're not that lucky of a team to have an experienced head coach come here.

i like dwanye a lot, i like how he's changing the philosophy of our locker room

but the infamous but

his rotations suck, the way he extends the bench sucks and his demeanour when talking to the officials, like mentioned, sucks.

casey's a hard dude, i like that about him, but i hope that he's not too stubborn to realize that he needs to make some serious changes about his coaching outside of the practice area if he wants to remain a head coach in the league.
I think, and hope, that the proper personnel would bring changes with regard to how he operates in games. He said the other day that next season will be different in terms of how he hands out minutes. There will be less tolerance for mistakes and a lack of effort. And I would imagine that he would like to tighten up his rotations based on a more definitive ranking order.

And considering that he said from the start that he is pounding the rock and looking to get better everyday along with everyone else, I'm not that worried about him being too stubborn and thinking he has everything down pat. Outside of a well-seasoned, experienced coach, I think he looks to be within reach of what those guys can do.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,153
Representing:
Default

I respect people's opinions. I understand liking Casey.

What I don't understand is how being ranked 16th on defense is a sure fire case for why Casey is a good head coach. That's not great, or even good. That's mediocre. That's what was expected. It doesn't make him a great coach.

Fact...18 games under .500
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #43 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Senior Member
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 9,909
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
I respect people's opinions. I understand liking Casey.

What I don't understand is how being ranked 16th on defense is a sure fire case for why Casey is a good head coach. That's not great, or even good. That's mediocre. That's what was expected. It doesn't make him a great coach.

Fact...18 games under .500
ummm...have you even looked at the Raptors lineup this year ?
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #44 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

i don't care that we were 18 games under, i actually would have preferred 25 games below to be honest. my issue is, with good play calling and a solid rotation, this team played like it should have been a .500 team.

like LX mentioned, he's said the right words to show that he's committed to improving his coaching, so lets hope that he does in fact prove himself to be more than a great motivator.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #45 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

What a great thread.

Now you're all turning on Casey.

First Triano sucks, and should be an assistant.
Now Casey is getting the same comments.


This is utterly delightful for me.

Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #46 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
ummm...have you even looked at the Raptors lineup this year ?
did you look at the roster doc rivers had when he took over the magic? more often than not, talent doesn't necessarily matter. getting your team to play together and putting them in the right spots does.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,532
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
I respect people's opinions. I understand liking Casey.

What I don't understand is how being ranked 16th on defense is a sure fire case for why Casey is a good head coach. That's not great, or even good. That's mediocre. That's what was expected. It doesn't make him a great coach.

Fact...18 games under .500
From 30th to 16th......do you think it's even possible to be much better in a shortened season with a team lacking talent? Are you fucking serious. Look at it this way, we went from an absolute joke defensively to mediocre and some would say respectable. If you expected better from Casey or if you think another coach could do much better if at all, then you're delusional. As for being 18 games under .500...........How could you have possibly believed we'd be better?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #48 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
What a great thread.

Now you're all turning on Casey.

First Triano sucks, and should be an assistant.
Now Casey is getting the same comments.


This is utterly delightful for me.

why are you here?

to talk about basketball or judge us for talking about basketball?

i seriously don't see the former coming from you now-a-days.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,532
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
why are you here?

to talk about basketball or judge us for talking about basketball?

i seriously don't see the former coming from you now-a-days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
I question the actual basketball knowledge in this place some days.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #50 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,360
Representing:
Default

I'm not sure what some of you expected our record to be right now TBH.... esp. when you consider that Bargs has missed about 1/3 of the season.

We've all seen the team compete on a nightly basis now.

We've all seen the defense improve.

Casey doesn't have to be perfect in his 1st season here.... he's learning on the job as well. As long as the improvements continue (and we'll need roster upgrades to achieve that) I'm fine with the path that this team is on.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #51 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

we're so acceptable to mediocrity it's sad

we're in more games than we are out of them. true?

when the game is in that final three minutes, it comes down to coaching and execution. a lot of the times, we've failed before we even make it to the execution. it's not a whole lot to ask for a coach who can, more often than not, out-coach the opposing teams coach. i really can't remember having a coach who could ever do that. it's so fucking sad it makes me wanna eat!
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #52 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,532
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
we're so acceptable to mediocrity it's sad

we're in more games than we are out of them. true?

when the game is in that final three minutes, it comes down to coaching and execution. a lot of the times, we've failed before we even make it to the execution. it's not a whole lot to ask for a coach who can, more often than not, out-coach the opposing teams coach. i really can't remember having a coach who could ever do that. it's so fucking sad it makes me wanna eat!

2009 we weren't accepting of mediocrity because we expected to be a playoff team and were disapointed. But to say we're accepting mediocrity now is wrong imo. The fact is, we're in a second year of a rebuild and trying to see what we have in our young players. I wouldn't say we're accepting of mediocrity, we're accepting and realistic of the situation. Sure there is some truth in what you're saying but right now it is what it is and we're trying to be patient. I'll tell you right now though, if a year from now we're not in the playoffs people will be a lot less accepting of our situation. Next season is the most important in years. Same goes with the HC, judge him in a year.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #53 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

accepting and realistic of the situation would be realizing that we're going to lose a lot of games. accepting mediocrity is overlooking the bad play calling that put us out of those games.

again

i like casey, but i don't understand how anyone can criticize bjjj for calling him an assistant coach when he hasn't shown the ability to out-coach his opponents.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #54 (permalink)
waitin for the Samba Twin Towers

keepin an eye on Il Muggo
 
bozonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 420
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
2009 we weren't accepting of mediocrity because we expected to be a playoff team and were disapointed. But to say we're accepting mediocrity now is wrong imo. The fact is, we're in a second year of a rebuild and trying to see what we have in our young players. I wouldn't say we're accepting of mediocrity, we're accepting and realistic of the situation. Sure there is some truth in what you're saying but right now it is what it is and we're trying to be patient. I'll tell you right now though, if a year from now we're not in the playoffs people will be a lot less accepting of our situation. Next season is the most important in years. Same goes with the HC, judge him in a year.
Only in Trawna would they look at the results and think they were rebuilding. By the Leaf's guage they are improving. I think Bargs was played too much, Kleiza was too. This is a bad team with some journeyman talent. CAsey is not the answer. They have to get a good draft pick this year and find a center. Otherwise they will miss playoffs again. The loss of Bosh was devastating. I would not pay to watch this crew if I lived in Toronto. I hope I am wrong but do not think so
bozonic is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #55 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,360
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
accepting and realistic of the situation would be realizing that we're going to lose a lot of games. accepting mediocrity is overlooking the bad play calling that put us out of those games.

again

i like casey, but i don't understand how anyone can criticize bjjj for calling him an assistant coach when he hasn't shown the ability to out-coach his opponents.
Sounds like your expectations of Casey were pretty darn high coming in.

He's not a perfect coach by any means but he hasn't been doing this job (as a HC) for as long as guys like Adelman, Sloan and Popovich.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #56 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,917
Representing:
Default

The last thing this team needs is a coaching change. Casey has been coaching scrubs all year, you seriously can't expect him to utilize them and become a playoff contender.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #57 (permalink)
is waiting

Senior Member
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,223
Representing:
Default

The only thing our team has improved in this year is defense, nothing else. Our team is essentially in the same spot as was last year. Like I said only JJ showed development. How many times were in games at the very end in one possession games, and we failed to even get a shot up. We failed to get a shot up--not even failed to make the shot, making the shot is up to the players, yes, getting a shot up is up to the coach.
Blaze is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #58 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,532
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
The only thing our team has improved in this year is defense, nothing else.
which was by far the most important improvement we had to make. it's a lot easier to imropve our offense then it is to improve our defense. And without Bargnani this team sucks offensively no matter who is coaching. we're not deep to say the least. i'm greatfull we finally have a coach that has seriously focused on defense. a team this young has to learn to play D and be held accountable.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #59 (permalink)
finding your post helpful

Senior Member
 
LightsOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,415
Representing:
Default

wouldn't it make more sense to get an offensive minded assistant coach for casey to work with?

Casey has 2 twigs(davis,johnson), and 2 guys that can barely get off the ground(magloire, gray) as big men and bargs, and we're still rebounding and playing solid defense. What more can you really ask for from him?

I'm not buying that he can't execute plays in the clutch, he has no go to guy that can deliver on a good play drawn up anyways.
LightsOut is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,767
Representing:
Default

The offense last season was a big part of why the defense was so bad. It comes down to whether you'd rather see a ton of points and never compete, or be able to get some stops and fight in almost every game. Last season there was no sense of going forward at all, beyond hoping that Demar would become a star scoring machine. This season there is light at the end of the tunnel.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24