Casey Looks Back at the Season
Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default Casey Looks Back at the Season

TORONTO SUN

Quote:
MOST GRATIFYING MOMENT

“Just watching the defence grow. I never thought we would crack the top 15 in points per possession. I never thought we would crack the top 10 in opponent’s field goal possession and then hold it for this long. That has been the most gratifying. Now we’ve got the foundation laid for next year and we just have to get some offensive firepower to go with that and go from there.”

WHO GREW THE MOST?

“I think DeMar has grown as the year has gone on. Earlier I wouldn’t have said that but he has grown in a lot of areas defensively. You can see him thinking the game now, where in certain situations before he was just playing basketball. Now he is reading situations, reading screens. Again, strength will be a big factor for he and Ed (Davis) but he has shown growth throughout the year and that has impressed me a lot.”

WORST NIGHT’S SLEEP THIS SEASON

“First night after the Boston game. (Feb. 1, 100-67 loss). Getting spanked like that and not knowing how we were going to bounce back after that, but we did. I slept a little better after that.”

MOST MEMORABLE GAME OF THE YEAR

The game at New York (Jan. 2) That was kind of our first win that kind of got us going. The home game against Boston (86-74 win Feb. 10) was another solid win. Those were really rewarding games.

WORST TRAVEL DAY

Without question it was that Memphis to Charlotte flight (March 17). They cancelled the flight the night after our game so we had to stay another night in Memphis. We get to the arena in Charlotte right around 4:30 going straight there from the airport. Guys want to shoot but they can’t because fire alarms are going off so that was disruptive. Then the uniforms had to be washed so guys were putting on damp, some of them wet uniforms. That was a bad day.”

THING YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT TORONTO BEFORE MOVING THERE?

“The passion the fans in the city have. I didn’t realize it was such a big sports town. Not only basketball, but baseball and soccer and hockey. I mean, I knew hockey was pretty big but the support they have for their teams ... There is a segment of basketball fans in Toronto that are just rabid and you don’t know that until you are there. That’s been very exciting for me because I know when we turn this corner that fan support is going to be there.”

MOST SHOCKING MOMENT

“Losing the Laker game at home (94-92 loss on Feb. 7). Just the way we went down. We had it in hand and a couple calls and then Kobe hits a couple of big shots and you suddenly go from this high of thinking you have this game in control to a real low. That was a tough point.”

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON

“The road trip where we won three out of five (trip started in L.A. with loss to the Clippers, then a win in Phoenix, a win in double overtime in Utah, a loss in Denver and then a rebound win over New Jersey, Jan. 22-29) was very rewarding just seeing the guys come together. It was also the low because that’s where we lost Andrea (Bargnani), in the win in Utah. That was kind of the season.”
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
Aamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 5,224
Representing:
Default

Quote:
“The passion the fans in the city have. I didn’t realize it was such a big sports town. Not only basketball, but baseball and soccer and hockey. I mean, I knew hockey was pretty big but the support they have for their teams ... There is a segment of basketball fans in Toronto that are just rabid and you don’t know that until you are there. That’s been very exciting for me because I know when we turn this corner that fan support is going to be there.”
Aamir is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

I agree with his derozan comments, and not just defensively
his bb IQ seems to have improved during the season, I bet his assist numbers the past 1-2 months are significantly larger than the first two months, and even if they are not, subjectively he's playing with a lot more control than before

but man, he has a lot of holes in his game still. Next summer will be quite huge for his future career, because his next contract will depend on it, and if he's not a much better player by next January, I wouldn't be shocked to see him lose the starting spot.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I agree with his derozan comments, and not just defensively
his bb IQ seems to have improved during the season, I bet his assist numbers the past 1-2 months are significantly larger than the first two months, and even if they are not, subjectively he's playing with a lot more control than before

but man, he has a lot of holes in his game still. Next summer will be quite huge for his future career, because his next contract will depend on it, and if he's not a much better player by next January, I wouldn't be shocked to see him lose the starting spot.
He needs to get bigger, continue working on his 3pt shooting and ball handling.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 484
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I bet his assist numbers the past 1-2 months are significantly larger than the first two months, and even if they are not, subjectively he's playing with a lot more control than before
Assist per game by month:
Dec 2.7 (only 3 games)
Jan 1.3
Feb 2.3
Mar 2.1
April 2.5

Stat I found interesting, not necessarily that it has significance:
Derozan AST in wins 2.8, in losses 1.6
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,879
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Assist per game by month:
Dec 2.7 (only 3 games)
Jan 1.3
Feb 2.3
Mar 2.1
April 2.5

Stat I found interesting, not necessarily that it has significance:
Derozan AST in wins 2.8, in losses 1.6
Great stats!

He needs to average close to 20ppg 4rpg 3apg & at least 1 steal per next year or else! IMO

I think he can get there!
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,507
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
Great stats!

He needs to average close to 20ppg 4rpg 3apg & at least 1 steal per next year or else! IMO

I think he can get there!
It's not his stats that he needs to worry about, it's his defense, energy and ballhandling.... he's just been such a liabilty on each. His D has been coming along, as we're starting to see some takeaways and random recovery blocks but he still needs to get much stronger and become much more active on the floor overall. He should be all over loose balls and wild rebounds. It's the biggest offseason of his life because his extension offer looms.... and right now he doesn't look to be worth much of an increase, though that could change very quickly.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 484
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
Great stats!

He needs to average close to 20ppg 4rpg 3apg & at least 1 steal per next year or else! IMO

I think he can get there!
I don't think Stats are gong to make you feel real good about Derozan.

He has gotten worse in almost everything in his three seasons. Rebound rate, assist rate, Turnover rate, eFG, TS%, Win Shares/48, PER, STL%, BLK% - ALL have gotten worse or had no change since his rookie season.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,879
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
It's not his stats that he needs to worry about, it's his defense, energy and ballhandling.... he's just been such a liabilty on each. His D has been coming along, as we're starting to see some takeaways and random recovery blocks but he still needs to get much stronger and become much more active on the floor overall. He should be all over loose balls and wild rebounds. It's the biggest offseason of his life because his extension offer looms.... and right now he doesn't look to be worth much of an increase, though that could change very quickly.
Agreed stats only tell halph the story...
What I am getting at is that he needs the stats, the defense & the handles!
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 484
Representing:
Default

Derozan uses 68% of his clutch possessions on jump shots. Which is actually down from 77% of total shots. The down side is he has an eFG of 105% on those clutch jumpers...

I'm trying to find encouraging stats for him but boy is it hard.

On first look his numbers do look slightly better at the SF position actually, for those hoping he can transition there if needed. He only spends 21% of his minutes there though according to 82games, so it's not the largest sample, but not insignificant either.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,068
Representing:
Default

I haven't tried to compare stats, but just by watching the games, I'd say that James Johnson has improved more this season over the last one than DeRozan.
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 484
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
I haven't tried to compare stats, but just by watching the games, I'd say that James Johnson has improved more this season over the last one than DeRozan.
Don't have time to do too detailed of a breakdown or think of a good way to quantify the idea of improvement but in simple terms:

JJ PER went from 13.2 to 14.6 this season. Ortg went from 102 to 97, Drtg from 111 to 100. WinShares/48 from .46 to .79. (Note I'm only using his stats from Toronto, as I don't consider his Chicago stats to be very relevant)

DD Per went from 14.4 to 12.8, Ortg from 106 to 99, Drtg from 114 to 108, WinShares/48 from .56 to .51.

Any and all stats/explanations for stats can be found on basketball-reference.com for those not familiar. Ortg being the amount of points estimated per 100, Drtg being estimated points against per 100 possessions.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,068
Representing:
Default

Thanks, Grizz. Unless I am completely out to lunch, the stats seem to support my conclusion.
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

DeRozan screams 6th man to me. While I have been encouraged by his growth, I think what we've seen is his ceiling (save for some consistency). Some of the numbers thrown around (averaging over 20, 4 rebounds etc.) I think is just wishful thinking.

The difference between a guy like DeRozan and a guy like, say Kobe, is that a guy like Kobe on the court can do very difficult things quite easily. A guy like DeRozan has to work that much harder to do those same things to achieve the same results, but because he has to work that much harder other aspects of his game suffer. You see it in sports all the time. The greats are great because of natural ability, hard work and talent. Some guys may hit those same numbers occasionally, but it's not something that can be sustained because they don't have that same natural ability.

Anyways, I agree with his most gratifying moment.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 128
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
DeRozan screams 6th man to me. While I have been encouraged by his growth, I think what we've seen is his ceiling (save for some consistency). Some of the numbers thrown around (averaging over 20, 4 rebounds etc.) I think is just wishful thinking.

The difference between a guy like DeRozan and a guy like, say Kobe, is that a guy like Kobe on the court can do very difficult things quite easily. A guy like DeRozan has to work that much harder to do those same things to achieve the same results, but because he has to work that much harder other aspects of his game suffer. You see it in sports all the time. The greats are great because of natural ability, hard work and talent. Some guys may hit those same numbers occasionally, but it's not something that can be sustained because they don't have that same natural ability.

Anyways, I agree with his most gratifying moment.
if we draft Beal in May 30th,than there is realty that DD became a 6th reward in next season...

my question is did BC realize it's time to trade Bargnani after been waiting 7 years to know that someone just who he is?i do realize that Casey didn't mention Bargnani at all when asked who is most improved this season...
torontomen is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24