Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Can Ed Davis be our future centre? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/can-ed-davis-our-future-centre-18944.html)

shittytrader 01-16-2011 09:45 PM

Can Ed Davis be our future centre?
 
i don't know how easy it would be. but say ed davis put on another 30 lbs, can we just can him trained to be a centre? he plays inside anyways on both ends of the court.

fresh n' spicy 01-16-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shittytrader (Post 494350)
i don't know how easy it would be. but say ed davis put on another 30 lbs, can we just can him trained to be a centre? he plays inside anyways on both ends of the court.

are u high? no way

TOAO 01-16-2011 10:01 PM

certainly could be in the right system. he's a serge ibaka type of player

however adding those 20-30 pounds could affect his lift and explosiveness

FoldedLaundry 01-16-2011 10:04 PM

How tall is he? 6'10, 6'11?

shittytrader 01-16-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fresh n' spicy (Post 494353)
are u high? no way


why not? he's listed at 6'10, 215 lbs. standing reach of 9 feet.

raps play bargnani as a centre. dont remember if he was a centre in his rookie year when he was 225lbs. He's 250 now and has a standing reach of 9 feet 2.

Joakim Noah is listed as 6'11 with standing reach of 8' 10.5" and 225lbs.

I just want to see bargnani have the opportunity to play outside and not have to worry about his post up game. i think he's most effective for himself and then team when he spreads the defence.

as well, say we never get a true centre. whats the next best option? maybe it's davis?

just wondering. and i wish i were high

Kirby 01-16-2011 10:17 PM

You can't force someone out of their natural position... It's tough to adjust.

shittytrader 01-16-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby (Post 494365)
You can't force someone out of their natural position... It's tough to adjust.

didn't raps force bargnani to play centre? isn't he a natural pf?

10gizzle 01-16-2011 10:19 PM

Al Horford seems to do just fine...

tettays 01-17-2011 12:00 AM

He's the closest thing to the young Jermaine O'Neal in my opinion defense-wise. If he develops a jump shot and bulks up a bit, he's gonna be better all around than Bosh, Antonio Davis, Bargnani, and pretty much any of the Raps former bigs.

Davis and DeRozan just better live up to their potential. I think the Raps are in a great situation despite the losing record.

Nites 01-17-2011 03:27 AM

No way can he play center full time. This is what would happen to him if he did.


Shifty.py 01-17-2011 03:58 AM

Ed Davis, Amir Johnson, Reggie Evans, Joey Dorsey

What do they have in common? They play strictly in the paint on offensive end, allowing Bargnani to stay outside.
And they are smaller and quicker than Bargnani so they guard PFs on defensive end and let Bargs with bigger body defend Cs.

So we already have a working set up. Only weak link is that Bargs will be equally exposed both at C and PF. Actually at C he at least has a chance, having mobility advantage.

poetics 01-17-2011 01:15 PM

high is an understatement, if it was only that easy...

JoeyJoJo Shabbadu 01-17-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shittytrader (Post 494363)
why not? he's listed at 6'10, 215 lbs. standing reach of 9 feet.

raps play bargnani as a centre. dont remember if he was a centre in his rookie year when he was 225lbs. He's 250 now and has a standing reach of 9 feet 2.

Joakim Noah is listed as 6'11 with standing reach of 8' 10.5" and 225lbs.

I just want to see bargnani have the opportunity to play outside and not have to worry about his post up game. i think he's most effective for himself and then team when he spreads the defence.

as well, say we never get a true centre. whats the next best option? maybe it's davis?

just wondering. and i wish i were high


Quote:

Originally Posted by shittytrader (Post 494366)
didn't raps force bargnani to play centre? isn't he a natural pf?

Thurgood: I'm here today because I'm addicted..to marijuana.
Rehab patient: You in here 'cuz of marijuana?! Man, this is some BULLSHIT!
Bob Saget/Cocaine addict/Shittytrader: Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke.
Rehab patient: I seen him [do it]!
Bob Saget/Cocaine addict/Shittytrader: Now that's an addiction, man. You ever suck some dick for marijuana?
Thurgood: No, I can't say I have.
Bob Saget/Cocaine addict/Shittytrader: I didn't think so

Ligeia 01-17-2011 01:25 PM

I think Davis has the rebounding and weak-side-and-help defense to cover for Bargnani's defensive problems, but he will never have the size or strength to defend a big 5 like Bargnani can. Together, they could one day make a decent front court by covering each other's deficiencies.

moremilk 01-17-2011 01:28 PM

davis is a PF and needs to stay as such
besides, bargnani is our C and he's more than capable (if not always willing) to defend in the low post.

What we need from Davis is to bulk up and become a defensive and rebounding force, he can provide that from either position (PF and C). Bargnani can focus on defending the big guys down low, which is his strength anyway, while davis can roam the paint challenging shots etc.

Offensively, andrea will probably evolve in a low-post threat over the next 2-3 years, if David can do the same, the combo will be lethal (it's already pretty powerful today).

MARTYNAS 01-17-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu (Post 494522)
Thurgood: I'm here today because I'm addicted..to marijuana.
Rehab patient: You in here 'cuz of marijuana?! Man, this is some BULLSHIT!
Bob Saget/Cocaine addict/Shittytrader: Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke.
Rehab patient: I seen him [do it]!
Bob Saget/Cocaine addict/Shittytrader: Now that's an addiction, man. You ever suck some dick for marijuana?
Thurgood: No, I can't say I have.
Bob Saget/Cocaine addict/Shittytrader: I didn't think so

Haha, love Half Baked

Ex2k 01-17-2011 09:58 PM

DAVIS WILL BE A BEAST!

eazy187 01-17-2011 10:09 PM

Why would you force a young and promising prospect to play out of his natural position. All that would do is limit his potential.

Almost as bad as the Hawks playing Horford at center.

TooStrong 01-18-2011 12:28 AM

Ed Davis is a beast. NO ON CENTER!

Superjudge 01-18-2011 09:21 PM

ok.

Why can't he play center? He's 6'10", and quick. He puts on 20 lbs and he's fine.

You guys make it out lke the guy is 30, he's a little kid, and I got news for ya, he ain't been a PF all his life, he's been a center.

Jack Armstrong says it best, there is only one position in the game, thats a "player". Davis seems like a player, wherever he plays he'll be just fine. His limit won't be set by his position.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24