Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Bll Fitch weighs in on ticked-off Triano’s timeout try (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/bll-fitch-weighs-ticked-off-triano-s-timeout-try-19196.html)

Acie 02-01-2011 09:32 PM

Bll Fitch weighs in on ticked-off Triano’s timeout try
 
Quote:

Legendary NBA coach Bill Fitch was watching the Indiana Pacers play the Toronto Raptors Monday night from his living room near Houston. He saw that the Pacers had an insurmountable lead when sophomore guard Darren Collison sank a three-pointer to make the score 104-93 with less than 30 seconds left.

Then he saw angry Raptors head coach Jay Triano try in vain to call a timeout with half a second on the clock.

“If [Triano had] gotten a timeout with less than a second left on the clock, I would’ve said, ‘That’s bush-league coaching,’ ” said Fitch, who retired in 1998 after a 25-year career as an NBA coach that saw him guide household names such as Larry Bird, Phil Jackson and Hakeem Olajuwon.

After the loss in Indianapolis, Triano told reporters that he was upset because he felt Collison’s shot had been in poor taste. As a general rule, teams winning by a wide margin as the clock runs down try not to rub it in.

“I don’t think you do stuff like that,” Triano said.

“They wanted to extend the game by shooting a three with the clock running down. So I was going to call a timeout,” he said.

The referees did not grant one, however. And as Triano stood on the court arguing with veteran referee Dan Crawford, Fitch thought he was wasting his time.

“I wouldn’t be standing there talking to Danny Crawford about something that he had no control over,” he said. “Dan’s been a good official for a long time.”

Quote:

From Fitch’s perspective, it didn’t even look like Collison had tried to make the shot. Rather, he was just throwing up a shot to celebrate a win – the team’s first with new head coach Frank Vogel.

“I really don’t think he shot it to make it. He just let her go,” said Fitch, who, throughout his career, was repeatedly hired by hopeless franchises and tasked with turning them into winners.

“It almost looked like he took that shot two-handed. … He probably has not made a shot from that area all year.”

Still, Fitch said he doesn't blame Triano for losing his cool, considering the loss extended Toronto’s terrible losing streak to 12 consecutive games.

“It doesn't take much to rankle you when you've lost 12, 13 in a row.”

LINK - Globe and Mail

jeffb 02-01-2011 09:35 PM

Good points. It was stupid!!


It was a bad move to hit the shot with a second left, but to not let it go and whine makes Triano look like a Tool, as usual.

LX 02-01-2011 09:51 PM

I just remember when he thought nothing of his own team doing the same thing.

jeffb 02-01-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LX (Post 503300)
I just remember when he thought nothing of his own team doing the same thing.

But Pizza was on the line :haha:

x_kaptain_x 02-01-2011 10:21 PM

Hahaha, the good ol pizza.. tainting fans minds..

Deez 02-01-2011 11:09 PM

Honestly, I think Bill Fitch needs to shut his ass up. Triano's team get's the short end of every stick the NBA has. They don't get calls, they don't get respect, really, they have nothing but their team on an island. Who else is going to stand up for them. Andrea?

If this were the NFL, they'd be saying good old Rex Ryan does a good job standing up for his team, baseball, Tony Pinella won't let the umps get away with anything, hockey, Pat Burns demands respect from everyone.

The NBA? Just bend over and take it? There need to be more of those things going on now. When DeMarcus Cousins started mouthing off to Reggie, he put him in his place immediately. Can you imagine the kind of things being said to this soft team right to their faces by other players as they continue to get thumped?

jeffb 02-01-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammo (Post 503330)
Honestly, I think Bill Fitch needs to shut his ass up. Triano's team get's the short end of every stick the NBA has. They don't get calls, they don't get respect, really, they have nothing but their team on an island. Who else is going to stand up for them. Andrea?

If this were the NFL, they'd be saying good old Rex Ryan does a good job standing up for his team, baseball, Tony Pinella won't let the umps get away with anything, hockey, Pat Burns demands respect from everyone.

The NBA? Just bend over and take it? There need to be more of those things going on now. When DeMarcus Cousins started mouthing off to Reggie, he put him in his place immediately. Can you imagine the kind of things being said to this soft team right to their faces by other players as they continue to get thumped?


Sorry, but we won't get any more respect if our coach is gonna whine with 1 second left, down by 12, trying to get a timeout because the other team ticked him off. Not condoning that last second shot, but Triano needed to shut his piehole.

Deez 02-01-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 503332)
Sorry, but we won't get any more respect if our coach is gonna whine with 1 second left, down by 12, trying to get a timeout because the other team ticked him off. Not condoning that last second shot, but Triano needed to shut his piehole.

The slights can't continue. There's an on-court leadership void and no one's filling it. And he absolutely wouldn't have taken that shot against Boston. Take a shot on the goalie in hockey after a whistle, something will happen.

I wish the player poll that just took place in the NHL would be done by the NBA players.

Guess which categories we would win hands down....

Softest
Easiest to bully
Least respected
Worst defenders
Least likely to stand up for themselves

Those aren't skill categories, those are letting yourself get bitch-slapped categories.

My team was being beaten 8-2. They were flipping the puck over our heads and doing trick shots, etc. so I hit someone HARD and all of that stopped. Don't wait 'til next year to stop being league-wide bitches.

finstock 02-02-2011 12:07 AM

Triano's in the wrong IMO. There's no such thing as "rubbing it in" in pro sports. Dude's get paid enough to let it slide.

DSWC 02-02-2011 12:48 AM

To be honest... I've had enough of Triano, not because of this though... but because the lack of defense - worst rated team over the last 2+ years that he's been in charge.

Calling the timeout - (the point of this thread) - I actually like. Triano has been fighting for fouls all year, and whether it be because we're a bad team, or not, it seems like we're always on the short end of the stick in that capacity.

I like that Triano has a bit of an edge to his personality, something I think he's desperately trying to instill in his team.

I thought this thread was about the timeout that he called a few games ago, when the Raps got the ball, and had a 5-4 and he called a timeout. Now THAT was pathetic. (against Memphis?)

DanH 02-02-2011 01:14 PM

Here's a question: how on earth can a referee decide not to award a coach a time out? No matter the grounds? The Raps had possession of the ball, the game was not over, and the coach called a timeout.

Triano was stupid to call it, Collison was stupid to shoot it, but those aren't the issue here.

If the NBA wants to put a rule in place that restricts when in a game a coach can and can't use his timeouts based on the score, they should put it in the rules, and if it isn't in the rules, the ref should be disciplined.

Of course, if there is such a rule, please let me know. But I'm pretty sure this was an autonomous decision by a ref who didn't have the power to make that decision.

jrob23 02-02-2011 01:25 PM

honestly Triano getting red in the face and trying to call a time out, then getting mad at the ref once it was over was worse than Collison throwing that up

JT needs to take some of that anger out on Bargs and sit his ass on the bench, if he didnt let ppl like Mcroberts, Foster, etc, let alone Hibbert bully him, we wouldve been able to win.

He reallllly needs to cut back ABs minutes until he improves his rebounding and d intensity, and Ed Davis is well-deserving of increased minutes

komot 02-02-2011 01:35 PM

triano is a bad coach and everyone needs to stop defending him. yes hes canadian and he has his intensity but that is only good as a player not a coach. we seriously need to get rid of him after this season, unless the guy we draft is a scrub and we need another top 5 pick :yeah:

jeffb 02-02-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanH (Post 503531)
Here's a question: how on earth can a referee decide not to award a coach a time out? No matter the grounds? The Raps had possession of the ball, the game was not over, and the coach called a timeout.

Triano was stupid to call it, Collison was stupid to shoot it, but those aren't the issue here.

If the NBA wants to put a rule in place that restricts when in a game a coach can and can't use his timeouts based on the score, they should put it in the rules, and if it isn't in the rules, the ref should be disciplined.

Of course, if there is such a rule, please let me know. But I'm pretty sure this was an autonomous decision by a ref who didn't have the power to make that decision.

I think we grabbed the ball and inbounded it as he called it.

powerfulpanda 02-02-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komot (Post 503547)
triano is a bad coach and everyone needs to stop defending him. yes hes canadian and he has his intensity but that is only good as a player not a coach. we seriously need to get rid of him after this season, unless the guy we draft is a scrub and we need another top 5 pick :yeah:

i think everyone should reserve judgement on triano because we can't properly evaluate him as a coach with such a crappy team. is byron scott who has a nice track record a bad coach that has the cavs on the way of breaking the all time losing streak? or is avery johnson with all those good years in dallas a bad coach in his first year with the nets?
we are a rebuilding team guys, the preseason power rankings had us 2nd last with the cavs being the last place team! we are meeting expectations!!!
remember all those bad atlanta years but they kept mike woodson and these past couple of years they've finally been good.
i would make the arguement that last years team was overrated and this years team just plain sucks
jay has been the head coach for 1.5 years, we should at least wait until we have a good enuff team to judge him and also in the mean time just to have a consistancy at the head coach position.

jrob23 02-02-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanH (Post 503531)
Here's a question: how on earth can a referee decide not to award a coach a time out? No matter the grounds? The Raps had possession of the ball, the game was not over, and the coach called a timeout.

Triano was stupid to call it, Collison was stupid to shoot it, but those aren't the issue here.

If the NBA wants to put a rule in place that restricts when in a game a coach can and can't use his timeouts based on the score, they should put it in the rules, and if it isn't in the rules, the ref should be disciplined.

Of course, if there is such a rule, please let me know. But I'm pretty sure this was an autonomous decision by a ref who didn't have the power to make that decision.

if you havent noticed.. the NBA is very selective when it comes to their policies

thats the exact reason as to why KG wasnt suspended for his incident with Fyre (slapped him in the balls AND stuck his foot underneath Frye to land on while he was in the air) part of it had to do with it being KG, but also because the Celtics had the Lakers in the next game.

b55bgc 02-02-2011 02:07 PM

this is the stupidest thing ever.
Triano needs to put more effort into being a better coach and getting a more defensive culture installed in the minds of his players.
And spend less time bitching. Suck it up. We lost. You would think after losing 11 in a row before this, that it would be easy to take another one on the chin.

DanH 02-02-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 503570)
I think we grabbed the ball and inbounded it as he called it.

So, they should have called the TO when the ball touched our player's hands - which coincides with when the clock would have started running again - thus having no time tick off the clock? What is your point?

Ex2k 02-02-2011 02:47 PM

Who really gives a fuck what Bill Fitch thinks? Especially from his living room in Houston?

Superjudge 02-02-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 503332)
Sorry, but we won't get any more respect if our coach is gonna whine with 1 second left, down by 12, trying to get a timeout because the other team ticked him off. Not condoning that last second shot, but Triano needed to shut his piehole.

No, you get no respect for taking that shit lying down.

I like triano, he has guts.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24