Best dunker of all time baby! - Page 3
Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cubed View Post
i will consider all future posts from you to be hyperbole.

for the record, hyperbole implies exaggeration. claiming opinion as fact and disagreement as ignorance is not exaggeration. it is simply an absence of truth.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
Just wondering, what exactly do you guys think a fact is, other than something that is agreed upon by a large majority?

Because, honestly, that's what a fact usually is.

jeffb can't prove to my satisfaction that he's a human being, and that his posts aren't automatically generated by an advanced jeffb simulator. However, the fact that jeffb is a human being is accepted by most on these forums.

A fact usually isn't about proof, it's about evidence, and about getting enough eyes to see the evidence.

Well, the evidence states that Vince is the best dunker of all time. That's a fact. QED
a fact is something that exists in objective reality. given that we are talking about something that no one has yet quantified, this really is a discussion of subjective reality. there have been several people who would disagree with the 'fact' in question and could pose evidence to show it. a definition hasn't even been presented.

given all of that, it's pretty tough to see fact here anywhere. we have plenty of opinion. that seems pretty clear.

qed... give me a break.

Last edited by 'trane; 09-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,913
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
Just wondering, what exactly do you guys think a fact is, other than something that is agreed upon by a large majority?

Because, honestly, that's what a fact usually is.

jeffb can't prove to my satisfaction that he's a human being, and that his posts aren't automatically generated by an advanced jeffb simulator. However, the fact that jeffb is a human being is accepted by most on these forums.

A fact usually isn't about proof, it's about evidence, and about getting enough eyes to see the evidence.

Well, the evidence states that Vince is the best dunker of all time. That's a fact. QED
A fact is something that is proven to be true without any other possible options. In other words if it's something that is subjective it's simply an opinion. It's like saying Led Zepplin is the BEST group ever........says who?


definition of fact from Oxford Dictionaries Online


Fact: noun

a thing that is known or proved to be true
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #44 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
for the record, hyperbole implies exaggeration. claiming opinion as fact and disagreement as ignorance is not exaggeration. it is simply an absence of truth.
I think you forgot to prefix "In my opinion" to that statement.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #45 (permalink)
216 :}

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 574
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
Just wondering, what exactly do you guys think a fact is, other than something that is agreed upon by a large majority?
Just because something is agreed by the majority doesn't mean its a fact.

To argue that Demar Derzon is a bad 3 point shooter, while intuitively seems correct, is not actually a fact. Plus the word "bad" is subjective.

A fact would be that Demar Derozan shot 9.6% the 3pt range during the 2010-2011 NBA season.

Quote:
jeffb can't prove to my satisfaction that he's a human being, and that his posts aren't automatically generated by an advanced jeffb simulator. However, the fact that jeffb is a human being is accepted by most on these forums.
LOL "A spam robot created by the Admins/Moderators at RaptorsForum to generate conversation at rapid speed of approximately 100 posts a day. Often uses his/her posts to vent his/her disapproval of various topics such as the Toronto Maple Leafs and Jay Triano." Urban Dictionary: Raptors forum

Quote:
A fact usually isn't about proof, it's about evidence, and about getting enough eyes to see the evidence.
This is a gray area. Certain proofs such as in mathematics are "facts". Even in the hard sciences proofs are subject to change and in the soft sciences proofs are not factual whatsoever.

Quote:
Well, the evidence states that Vince is the best dunker of all time. That's a fact. QED
Technically its not a fact, but like me you're using hyperbole. As long as other posters don't get emotional over it it's fine to use that language.
6cubed is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #46 (permalink)
216 :}

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 574
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
i will consider all future posts from you to be hyperbole.

for the record, hyperbole implies exaggeration. claiming opinion as fact and disagreement as ignorance is not exaggeration. it is simply an absence of truth.
Dude by saying "Vince Carter is the best dunker to date of all time is a fact," was an exaggeration.
6cubed is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #47 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,409
Representing:
Default

can we also say as fact that he is the most disappointing athlete ever?

can we state as fact that he was as big a pussy as the nba has ever seen?
XiaominWu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #48 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
A fact is something that is proven to be true without any other possible options. In other words if it's something that is subjective it's simply an opinion. It's like saying Led Zepplin is the BEST group ever........says who?


definition of fact from Oxford Dictionaries Online


Fact: noun

a thing that is known or proved to be true
Something in "objective reality" can't be proved - proofs are for philosophical and mathematical concepts. A proof is a relationship between definitions. By requiring a proof to acknowledge something as fact you're basically eliminating all scientific truths (evidence based truths) as facts, that's why the dictionary includes the part of the definition that you chose not to highlight.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #49 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,913
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
can we also say as fact that he is the most disappointing athlete ever?

can we state as fact that he was as big a pussy as the nba has ever seen?

By the criteria put forth.....sure, why not.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #50 (permalink)
216 :}

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 574
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
can we also say as fact that he is the most disappointing athlete ever?

can we state as fact that he was as big a pussy as the nba has ever seen?
Those would be opinions!!!

LOL at the English lessons on RaptorsForum today
6cubed is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #51 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,913
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
Something in "objective reality" can't be proved - proofs are for philosophical and mathematical concepts. A proof is a relationship between definitions. By requiring a proof to acknowledge something as fact you're basically eliminating all scientific truths (evidence based truths) as facts, that's why the dictionary includes the part of the definition that you chose not to highlight.

Which doesn't apply to this topic.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #52 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
I think you forgot to prefix "In my opinion" to that statement.
do dictionary definitions of words require the person relating that definition to suggest it is merely an opnion? i don't think so. in a sense, all word definitions are chageable and all evolve over time. that said, the meaning has significant weight or communication with language would be almost impossible.

in short, this wasn't opinion, it is simply what the words means.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #53 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cubed View Post
Dude by saying "Vince Carter is the best dunker to date of all time is a fact," was an exaggeration.
saying he is the best dunker of all time can be said to be an exaggeration. claiming it as fact is not an exaggeration. it is a misunderstanding of what fact means.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #54 (permalink)
216 :}

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 574
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
claiming it as fact is not an exaggeration. it is a misunderstanding of what fact means.
Claiming something to be a fact that is obviously an opinion is an exaggeration. Come on man

:deadhorse:
6cubed is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #55 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
can we also say as fact that he is the most disappointing athlete ever?

can we state as fact that he was as big a pussy as the nba has ever seen?
Did he sleep with your girlfriend?

Raptor fans are the most hurt fans in the NBA..... woe is us?
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #56 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cubed View Post
Claiming something to be a fact that is obviously an opinion is an exaggeration. Come on man

:deadhorse:
He thinks truth and fact are absolute concepts, you're wasting your time arguing with someone like that.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #57 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,409
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Did he sleep with your girlfriend?

Raptor fans are the most hurt fans in the NBA..... woe is us?
woe shmoe......... do you actually disagree with those "facts"?

yes, i don't like the guy mostly because i am a raps fan and he shit all over our franchise..... but also because he was the biggest waste of talent i've ever seen. there may never be another guy as gifted athletically as he was.... but he just didn't have the motor to make himself truly special..... just didn't care.
XiaominWu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #58 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,913
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Did he sleep with your girlfriend?
If he did, it would be a fact. Lol
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #59 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
He thinks truth and fact are absolute concepts, you're wasting your time arguing with someone like that.
no i don't. if you had tried responding rather than insisting we might have had a good conversation about it.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #60 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
woe shmoe......... do you actually disagree with those "facts"?

yes, i don't like the guy mostly because i am a raps fan and he shit all over our franchise..... but also because he was the biggest waste of talent i've ever seen. there may never be another guy as gifted athletically as he was.... but he just didn't have the motor to make himself truly special..... just didn't care.
20000 points is special..... that dunk competition was the greatest ever.... he's absolutely not the biggest waste of talent with those and other accomplishments.

There are many others with lesser resumes
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24