Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Ben Gordon (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/ben-gordon-6660.html)

jeffb 02-23-2009 11:03 AM

Ben Gordon
 
Now i know his name has been brought up here more then a few times, but is there any chance we can sign him this summer while still keeping Marion? How much would Ben Gordon fetch on the open market over the summer. He's averaging 20PPG/4APG this season, so i'm guessing 8-10Million. Is he worth it?

A starting lineup of Jose,Gordon,Marion,Bosh,Bargnani would be a very good team, difficult to beat but is it possible?

If not, what other cheaper SG's are free agents this summer.

Krazy Ivan 02-23-2009 11:08 AM

He rejected Bulls' $58 million offer then took one year deal so he can become free agent this summer.

I don't think Raps have or should spend money he wants.

MangoKidHoops 02-23-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 148371)
Now i know his name has been brought up here more then a few times, but is there any chance we can sign him this summer while still keeping Marion? How much would Ben Gordon fetch on the open market over the summer. He's averaging 20PPG/4APG this season, so i'm guessing 8-10Million. Is he worth it?

A starting lineup of Jose,Gordon,Marion,Bosh,Bargnani would be a very good team, difficult to beat but is it possible?

If not, what other cheaper SG's are free agents this summer.

I'd rather draft our 2-guard. With Gordon in the lineup, you're going to have a boatload of guys in our lineup upset because he's taking shots away them (ie Marion, perhaps Bosh as well). If the decision was between Marion and Gordon, I'd choose Marion.

jeffb 02-23-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoKidHoops (Post 148380)
I'd rather draft our 2-guard. With Gordon in the lineup, you're going to have a boatload of guys in our lineup upset because he's taking shots away them (ie Marion, perhaps Bosh as well). If the decision was between Marion and Gordon, I'd choose Marion.

Depending if a decent SG is available. I think we should draft the best available player no matter the position.I think a good option would be to trade for a SG.

MangoKidHoops 02-23-2009 11:17 AM

I would have said Barbosa, but there's no way Sarver and Co. deal with us.

Acie 02-23-2009 11:22 AM

I'm really not a fan of undersized 2 guards.

jeffb 02-23-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoKidHoops (Post 148385)
I would have said Barbosa, but there's no way Sarver and Co. deal with us.

I was thinking the same thing.But i still think Belinelli could be had in a trade. And we all know how much i want him in a Raptors uniform. lol

Torontosaurus 02-23-2009 11:23 AM

Aren't we looking for a starting sg? Ben Gordon plays better off the bench, must be psychological.

Also, I would think we need a slasher, not a chucker with minimal defense.

TORaptor4Ever 02-23-2009 11:31 AM

An undersized jumpshooter with a questionable attitude and no defense.....

No thanks. Pretty much the LAST thing that this team needs.

jeffb 02-23-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever (Post 148396)
An undersized jumpshooter with a questionable attitude and no defense.....

No thanks. Pretty much the LAST thing that this team needs.

Well, lets see.... He's averaging 20.8PPG/4ASTS per while shooting 46% from the field, including 42% from 3! That spells huge upgrade from the crap inconsistent shit we see now from any of our SG! As for his defence, that i'm not sure about, i haven't caught any Chicago games in like forever. Either way though he'd be a massive upgrade for us imo.

TORaptor4Ever 02-23-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 148399)
Well, lets see.... He's averaging 20.8PPG/4ASTS per while shooting 46% from the field, including 42% from 3! That spells huge upgrade from the crap inconsistent shit we see now from any of our SG! As for his defence, that i'm not sure about, i haven't caught any Chicago games in like forever. Either way though he'd be a massive upgrade for us imo.

An "upgrade" at what price though? Would you pay 10-12 Mill/yr for him? Because I sure as hell wouldn't.

Gordon is fool's gold. His rookie year was his best one. After 3 games here people would be screaming about his lack of D. And if he's not hitting from deep he's all but useless.

insight_tor 02-23-2009 11:53 AM

We need a look down defender and a slasher not yet another shooting choker. I never liked Ben Gordon ... too short and takes too many shoots. :sigh:

Retro 02-23-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acie (Post 148390)
I'm really not a fan of undersized 2 guards.

Me neither.

Bmats7 02-23-2009 01:08 PM

Our defence is bad enough with calderon losing himself on every screen and role. Anthony parker is a decent SG defensively but is a huge waste on offence. A backcourt of Gordon and Calderon? no way in hell.

I'd prefer a guy like Raja bell. Knows how to push the ball (suns pace), can spread the floor (decent 3 pt shooter but doesnt shoot too often) and is a lock down defender (All NBA 2nd team defender i think?). I doubt charlotte would give him up, but he'd be cheaper than gordon.

10gizzle 02-23-2009 01:21 PM

Don't let Gordon's stats fool you...a lot of his numbers are very empty. I'd rather us get a weaker SG offensively but one who is long, athletic, and can play some good D. If we can get those things with many a couple of other good traits [good free throw shooter, improving 3 point shooter] we'd be in a good spot. I'm still hoping we just keep tanking and end up with a top 4 pick so we can get James Harden. That guy is legit.

Torontosaurus 02-23-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10gizzle (Post 148458)
Don't let Gordon's stats fool you...a lot of his numbers are very empty. I'd rather us get a weaker SG offensively but one who is long, athletic, and can play some good D. If we can get those things with many a couple of other good traits [good free throw shooter, improving 3 point shooter] we'd be in a good spot.

Won't Bruce Bowen be available next year?

j/k :mischief:

Stonezz 02-23-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro (Post 148448)
Me neither.

Word

dfunkie1 02-23-2009 01:55 PM

gordon has put his game together quite well this past season. i understand all his criticisms, i've been on his ass since he joined the league, but they're mostly outdated.

i still wouldn't sign him, but he deserves a little more credit than being labeled a chucker.

Krazy Ivan 02-23-2009 02:02 PM

If BC can somehow dump Kapono into lake Ontario and get permission from David Stern to use Kaponos' contract money to get Ben Gordon I'll be happy... but that's not happening, is it?

Simple put, this team does not have the money for Gordon or any other big name guy... after Raps sign Marion, AP, Delfino, Joey & their #1 pick they'll have no significant money left.

NaturallyStoned 02-23-2009 02:45 PM

Yeah, a backcourt of Jose and Gordon just isn't going to cut it.

And he's still an idiot for rejecting that contract. With the cap likely falling next season and owners feeling the effects of the economy, he isn't getting a dime over 7 mil.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24