Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Belinelli working with Hopla (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/belinelli-working-hopla-12480.html)

jeffb 12-29-2009 09:05 AM

Belinelli working with Hopla
 
Quote:

Marco Belinelli spent a little extra time Monday after practice working with shooting consultant Dave Hopla, who is with the team for a couple of days. Belinelli has suffered through an extended shooting slump and hopes Hopla can get him back on track. "He's a good guy, everybody talks about him real well and he's an incredible shooting teacher. ... It's better for us to have a guy like that who can help," Belinelli said. "It's good to stay with him and practise with him. Maybe he sees my feet are like this (showing a pigeon-toed stance) or my balance is off. It's good."
Raptorland a happy place these days - thestar.com

Shifty.py 12-29-2009 09:20 AM

Can't teach a fish how to swim. If you start thinking about how you shoot, it gets you nowhere.
I thought things like this, improving a shot of a shooter involves tering all up and starting from scratch

RAPMAN 12-29-2009 09:27 AM

Working on your shot is like working on your swing in baseball. Proper form, footing, balance, and follow through. Its minor adjustments that players need from another pair of eyes. You'll see an improvemnt in Marco's outside game in the near future.

Raptorman 12-29-2009 09:45 AM

I remember a story of a fan who sent a baseball player photo's he took at a couple games. The first one was during a hot streak and the second from a slump.

The fan noticed that his forward foot was pointing to the pitcher during the slump. The batter corrected it and the slump was over.

Every little bit helps. The worst thing Belinelli can do , is to just expect it to end. Good on him for seeking help.

m5racer 12-29-2009 10:25 AM

see, the problem is even when this guy is planted, he ends up fading in any direction. He ahs to stop the stupid sideways and front fades

jeffb 12-29-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m5racer (Post 298410)
see, the problem is even when this guy is planted, he ends up fading in any direction. He ahs to stop the stupid sideways and front fades

From what i've seen of him the last couple years, he's always taken alot of fadeaways. But he's also always shot for good percentages, especially from deep, so it works for him. The only issue for him is what happens when he gets older when the legs start to go? He likes to go inside as well and invites contact, as he gets older he may just have to do that even more then he currently does.

zachus 12-29-2009 12:32 PM

When Beli plants and goes straight up he's cash; also very effective when spotting up off the fast break. I still don't think he's being used effectively by the coaching staff - a lot of the time he's getting the ball at the arc with no prior movement. Triano should have him running off of screens and catching the ball in rhythm which is when Beli is at his best. Think poor man's Rip Hamilton.

Windex 12-29-2009 01:00 PM

he plays his best when he controls the ball and starts at the top, thats how he did it in Italy and he was scoring 20+ per

zachus 12-29-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windex (Post 298452)
he plays his best when he controls the ball and starts at the top, thats how he did it in Italy and he was scoring 20+ per

Where the players are half as athletic and talented

They should be running him off screens

fancylad 12-29-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty.py (Post 298399)
Can't teach a fish how to swim. If you start thinking about how you shoot, it gets you nowhere.
I thought things like this, improving a shot of a shooter involves tering all up and starting from scratch

i disagree.

It's ALWAYS good to receive proper coaching and tips.
Hopla is a wonder technician when it comes to jump shot mechanics. Belinelli can surely benefit from what Hopla has to say.

zachus 12-29-2009 01:28 PM

It's different for every shooter. Some guys need to struggle through it and keep shooting, other guys need to be told what they're doing wrong and adjust their shot accordingly. I'm the former - if I have people trying to fix my shot I start thinking about technicalities when I shoot and every shooter knows that the mind is their worst enemy.

Windex 12-29-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachus (Post 298454)
Where the players are half as athletic and talented

They should be running him off screens

he was the most athletic player and first option on the team
the opponents weren't great, it was a qualifying tourney for the Euro championship so Spain, Greece and the other top Euro counties were not playing

gdaytday 12-29-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAPMAN (Post 298401)
Working on your shot is like working on your swing in baseball. Proper form, footing, balance, and follow through. Its minor adjustments that players need from another pair of eyes. You'll see an improvemnt in Marco's outside game in the near future.

I would hope so. It can't get any worse.

jeffb 12-29-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdaytday (Post 298505)
I would hope so. It can't get any worse.

Can't get any worse? He's struggling and still shooting 40% from 3 and over 40% from the field. It could be alot worse.

Kuzzy 12-29-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 298421)
From what i've seen of him the last couple years, he's always taken alot of fadeaways. But he's also always shot for good percentages, especially from deep, so it works for him. The only issue for him is what happens when he gets older when the legs start to go? He likes to go inside as well and invites contact, as he gets older he may just have to do that even more then he currently does.

he doesn't really rely on his athletiicsm. Jump-shooters usually have a longer career expectancy than players that rely more on their atheltic abilities.
He likes to go inside?
Thats an issue for someone like Dwayne Wade, who deals with some serious contact night in and night out. Not Marco who barely plays some nights
My only concern with Marco is consistency on both ends.

BballWatcher 12-29-2009 11:08 PM

Hopefully Hopla can get some consistency from Marco because he can really shoot the ball. It does seem that one of the big problems with Marco is coaching though -- Marco needs to know what kinds of shots to take and what kinds of shots to avoid. Marco takes way too many off balance shots and deep 3's. He should rely more on facing up at the 3 point line and using different tricks like pump fakes, etc. rather than rushing his shot all the time.

0nekhmer 12-29-2009 11:48 PM

I think beli just needs to gather his confidence back. I see him hesitating a lot. They need to get him the ball more off those screens, he's a really good on the move passer

Kirby 12-30-2009 12:59 AM

I think why Marco excelled in GS was because..well it was Golden State. He did some ball handing, was free to take shots and create with less criticism from the coach.

maybe he should let Beli go crazy and chuck shots

henrymakepeace 12-30-2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirHarold (Post 298681)
I think why Marco excelled in GS was because..well it was Golden State. He did some ball handing, was free to take shots and create with less criticism from the coach.

maybe he should let Beli go crazy and chuck shots

..and that's why Golden State finished at the top of the league.

We can't let everyone jack up a forced shot as they wish and get pounded with the fast-breaks if we want to be an elite team.

Superjudge 12-30-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty.py (Post 298399)
Can't teach a fish how to swim. If you start thinking about how you shoot, it gets you nowhere.
I thought things like this, improving a shot of a shooter involves tering all up and starting from scratch

Not true Shifty.

I was a shooter when I played.

You get off your form sometimes, and it takes a good eye to help you see that. When it happens, you can usually work your way back to form after a bit of time.

It's not so much about thinking as it is about getting back to what makes you good to start with. Too many people think shooting is all in your head, it isn't, a lot is repetition, and once you change and repeat that a lot, a bad habit has started, it needs to be stopped.

Hard work and discipline, thats what prevails, depending upon confidence is the easy way out, and hot streaks mean nothing during crunch time. Form, repetition, hard work, and volume are what make great shooters.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24