Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Bargnani: "We need a Center" (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/bargnani-we-need-center-20685.html)

jeffb 06-29-2011 09:39 PM

Bargnani: "We need a Center"
 
Such a genius...

Quote:

The opening of the new Foot Locker store in Milano was the perfect opportunity to meet with the star of Toronto Raptors Andrea Bargnani. Il Mago talked about the NBA lockout, his future and the future of Toronto Raptors, LeBron James and the Italian NT which will be playing Eurobasket 2011 in Lithuania.

In few hours, the NBA should officially announce the lockout. Did Bargnani already think about what to do if the lockout will last until January or February? Will you try to sign for an European team as some NBAers already said?
Actually, I don't know if we can sign for European teams. The NBA has yet to decide if the players under contract can sign somewhere else during the lockout period or not. I will continue to practice hard to be ready for the start of the new season, whenever it will be. I really hope that both parts will step back a little to resolve the issue. Otherwise we all lose.

Dwane Casey, new head coach of Toronto Raptors, compared you to Dirk Nowitzki and said you will play PF, as you like. What Raptors need to improve to be competitive?
First of all, I am very happy for the words of the coach and I am happy I can play my most congenial role. Regarding the Raptors, now it is useless to talk about market considering that with the lockout all the negotiations will be stopped. For sure, we need a center (Toronto Raptors picked a center in the last NBA Draft, the Lithuanian Jonas Valanciunas, but the player will arrive in the NBA in 2012 due to buyout issues with Lietuvos Rytas).

Do you regret the trade failed at the last minute during in the middle of the 2010-11 regular season that would have taken Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw to Toronto? Raptors would have been a different team?
You never know how it would go. We kept Jose who is a great player.

What do you think about the criticism LeBron received? Is it right or excessive?
It was not excessive. He is the best player in the world. It is obvious that if he doesn't win everyone is surprised and start criticizing him. As I said, he remains the best player along with Kobe.

Now we can talk about Eurobasket 2011. Yesterday coach Pianigiani named the Italian preliminary squad. What is the goal of the team? To get the pass for Olympic Game in London 2012?
The addition of Danilo Gallinari is very important for us. He is a versatile player who can play in small forward and power forward position in Europe. And, if needed, also as center. He can really make the difference. We are almost the same group of players as last year. The first goal is to pass the first round, the pass for London is something we are not thinking about now. We have a lot of enthusiasm. Finally we play a real tournament and not just qualification. I can't wait to join my teammates and start the adventure with them. We have to continue on the path taken last year.

Bargnani: 'I am happy I can play PF next season but we need a center' | NBA | USA | Sportando

DocHoliday99 06-29-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 555436)
Such a genius...

Relieved more like it lmao

jeffb 06-29-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 (Post 555448)
Relieved more like it lmao

Well, afterall they haven't renamed it reboundball.....so i would say he was ok either way. ;)

J-Bo 06-29-2011 10:58 PM

Casey gonna push his ass to rebound im sure!

box92 06-29-2011 11:03 PM

hes probably happy he doesnt have to play center now

js12 06-29-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by box1992 (Post 555457)
hes probably happy he doesnt have to play center now

Next he'll make up an excuse that he forgot how to play power forward. :haha:

Windex 06-29-2011 11:11 PM

someone should tell his rebounding and defense is still essential for power forwards

DocHoliday99 06-29-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Bo (Post 555455)
Casey gonna push his ass to rebound im sure!

:yeah:

box92 06-29-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windex (Post 555462)
someone should tell his rebounding and defense is still essential for power forwards

but this is basketball, not rebound ball :cookie:

fresh n' spicy 06-29-2011 11:26 PM

probably the only 7 footer in the nba who cant play centre or rebound (insert facepalm)

jeffb 06-29-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fresh n' spicy (Post 555475)
probably the only 7 footer in the nba who cant play centre or rebound (insert facepalm)

:cookie:


Yet we supposedly undervalue his talents, and he apparently has a small price tag. lol

DocHoliday99 06-29-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 555478)
:cookie:


Yet we supposedly undervalue his talents, and he apparently has a small price tag. lol

Dirk's a 7' and I sure wouldnt want him playing center. His D isn't that great either. Dallas adjusted for his shortcomings. Bargs can rebound it's just will he. And for 9mil this coming year? Pretty good price.

jeffb 06-29-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 (Post 555488)
Dirk's a 7' and I sure wouldnt want him playing center. His D isn't that great either. Dallas adjusted for his shortcomings. Bargs can rebound it's just will he. And for 9mil this coming year? Pretty good price.


Unless he rebounds more, gives better effort, alters more shots, gets better as a weak side defender he's not worth his 9Mil salary imo. Dirk alters shots, competes a hell of a lot more the Bargnani, averages 8rpg. Outside of shooting what do you think Bargnani does real well?

DocHoliday99 06-30-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 555489)
Unless he rebounds more, gives better effort, alters more shots, gets better as a weak side defender he's not worth his 9Mil salary imo. Dirk alters shots, competes a hell of a lot more the Bargnani, averages 8rpg. Outside of shooting what do you think Bargnani does real well?

Bargs can shoot, pass and did average 21.4/5.2, seriously, we're talking about an increase of 2.8rpg and Dirk makes 17mil. Both have suspect D but can be average one on one defenders - Dallas adjusted for this, the Raps have not. To me there are 2 big differences; one is when Dirk came in he played PF and had a chance to develop fully in that role. Bargs has played SF, PF, C and has never had that opportunity to grow in the position that fits him best. Two, will he hustle like Dirk has. To me thats the biggest X factor as all the tools are there.

BballWatcher 06-30-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 (Post 555496)
Bargs can shoot, pass and did average 21.4/5.2, seriously, we're talking about an increase of 2.8rpg and Dirk makes 17mil. Both have suspect D but can be average one on one defenders - Dallas adjusted for this, the Raps have not. To me there are 2 big differences; one is when Dirk came in he played PF and had a chance to develop fully in that role. Bargs has played SF, PF, C and has never had that opportunity to grow in the position that fits him best. Two, will he hustle like Dirk has. To me thats the biggest X factor as all the tools are there.

You can't say that the difference between Dirk and Bargnani is a mere 2.8rpg. Leadership, accountability, occasionally playing D, more passing, and at least being a passable defender count for something.

I agree that Bargs has had his role changed several times, and the whole time he really was a natural PF. This season will make or break him -- either he's a consistent 20+ ppg scorer, or he really is a homeless man's Dirk.

Ball Don't Lie 06-30-2011 01:18 AM

If only Bargs could ever look in the mirror.

Shifty.py 06-30-2011 05:00 AM

Yea, sure. Cater to Bargnani congenial side, make him happy at expense of Amir (our most productive player last season) and Ed Davis

Shifty.py 06-30-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

he really was a natural PF
What he REALLY was is a 7-footer. Ergo, biggest guy on the team. And he got an extension for being a 7-footer.

Listen to Jack Armstrong, it doesn't matter if you are a 4 or 5, you're a BIG.

Carlito 06-30-2011 07:18 AM

It will get down to effort / hustle .... doesn't matter if he is a 4 or a 5. He will play if he shows passion and effort. Casey won't let him play hard only on one end of the court.

I don't give a shit how many rebounds ...

EggsToTheBBQ 06-30-2011 08:29 AM

Dirk is much more efficient on O than Bargs ever has been.

Also, Bargs is a black hole on offense. Once he gets the ball, everyone knows what's going to happen. Which is one reason why his efficiency is low.

The difference isn't just on D, and it's not just a couple of rebounds. It's in overall awareness of the game on O and D. He's a one dimensional player who's not particularly good at his one dimension.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24