Bargnani for Jeff Green? would you do it? - Page 5
Old 05-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #81 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,939
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
You're a Bargnani fan so I'm not gonna take much of what you say seriously. And Bargnani for a so called shooter didn't exactly shoot the lights out this season.
Just because I'm not a hater it automatically makes me a fan? No. Why are you bringing up Bargnani? We are talking about Jeff Green, JJ and sonny. Of course you couldn't defend your point so you brought in Bargnani which has nothing to do with this topic.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #82 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,939
Representing:
Default

Jeff Green = Sonny Weems in terms of what they bring to this team.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #83 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,515
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
simply another guy that contributes primarily offense. not what we need. i still don't think there's any reason to trade Bargs unless we get back something that is different and that alters the dynamic of the team. with green, it's basically just more of the same. not really a 3, not really a 4, doesn't rebound well because of size, can't score as well as bargs, doesn't score in the paint and is not a great defender. why would we bother?

i've actually almost never seen him play important minutes with the celts. this is based pretty much entirely on what i saw with okc, which is a lot closer to the kind of team we have than what you see in boston - young, athletic and mostly up-tempo.

hell no, only because there's no real value in making this kind of move.
I guess we're seeing different things then.

He rebounds just about as well as Bargs.... and that's not even taking into account that fact that he doesn't usually play near the rim.

He scored the ball just fine (IMO) in OKC. Wasn't a dynamic scorer by any means but certainly looked as though he could be a consistent threat. Paired with DD and our high draft pick this year... I think we could have a nice core there. Never had much of a problem with his defense either. He's young and still learning but he always seems to give the effort.

Why would he play any important minutes with the Celts when KG, Allen and Pierce are pretty much locked in at the only positions he would play in?
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #84 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,515
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Jeff Green = Sonny Weems in terms of what they bring to this team.
I think you may come to regret that statement lol..... unless you just have a very high opinion of Sonny Weems.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #85 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Jeff Green = Sonny Weems in terms of what they bring to this team.
Wow! You just lost whatever credibility you may have had. Weems has never come close to anything Green has done in his career and that statement shows you haven't got a clue.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #86 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,939
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Wow! You just lost whatever credibility you may have had. Weems has never come close to anything Green has done in his career and that statement shows you haven't got a clue.
Why? He is a "better shooter, better scorer, better athlete, more proven, better conditioning" than James Johnson .. so why did JJ start the second he got here? Being all of those doesn't mean you are a better player. Hell, I think JJ can and will be better in all those categories down the road. Hes already a good athlete, shooter and has good form. I'm not saying hes Ray Allen.. because hes not. He gives this team rebounding, shot blocking, defense, play-making, etc etc.. much more than Green could ever bring to the table.

Last edited by Don Vito; 05-07-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #87 (permalink)
is not changing this sig until we win a playoff series

everyones a critic
 
th3answ3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,471
Representing:
Default

no, hes not doing well in boston right now
th3answ3r is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #88 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Why? He is a "better shooter, better scorer, better athlete, more proven, better conditioning" than James Johnson .. so why did JJ start the second he got here? Being all of those doesn't mean you are a better player. Hell, I think JJ can and will be better in all those categories down the road. Hes already a good athlete, shooter and has good form. I'm not saying hes Ray Allen.. because hes not. He gives this team rebounding, shot blocking, defense, play-making, etc etc.. much more than Green could ever bring to the table.
Johnson started as soon as he got here because Sonny Weems is no Jeff Green.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #89 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,939
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Johnson started as soon as he got here because Sonny Weems is no Jeff Green.
What the hell is so good about Jeff Green? Tell me what he can do that Weems can't? Jeff Green is way overrated.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #90 (permalink)
I believe in Masai

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I guess we're seeing different things then.

He rebounds just about as well as Bargs.... and that's not even taking into account that fact that he doesn't usually play near the rim.

He scored the ball just fine (IMO) in OKC. Wasn't a dynamic scorer by any means but certainly looked as though he could be a consistent threat. Paired with DD and our high draft pick this year... I think we could have a nice core there. Never had much of a problem with his defense either. He's young and still learning but he always seems to give the effort.

Why would he play any important minutes with the Celts when KG, Allen and Pierce are pretty much locked in at the only positions he would play in?
i don't expect him to be playing important minutes in boston. it's just that since you made the comment about judging him purely based on his play with the celts, i wanted to mention that the bulk of what i have watched was the minutes with okc, which were genrally more important minutes.

rebounding and scoring at a similar rate as Bargs is a perfect reason not to bother with him. there's just no plus side. you might as well keep bargs. and it's kind of a moot point since we have no idea what kind of salary green might have and what kind of deal would have to be put together to make it happen. it seems completely lateral.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #91 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,515
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
i don't expect him to be playing important minutes in boston. it's just that since you made the comment about judging him purely based on his play with the celts, i wanted to mention that the bulk of what i have watched was the minutes with okc, which were genrally more important minutes.

rebounding and scoring at a similar rate as Bargs is a perfect reason not to bother with him. there's just no plus side. you might as well keep bargs. and it's kind of a moot point since we have no idea what kind of salary green might have and what kind of deal would have to be put together to make it happen. it seems completely lateral.
Yeah... but again, the main difference here is that Bargs was the undisputed #1 scorer here... Green was #3 with OKC. Green was looking at about 13 shots/gm there.... Bargs took almost 18/gm here.

I don't think that it'd be a stretch to think that Green could be a 20-pt scorer for us if he were here with a starting job... and I think that he's better than Bargs defensively (albeit playing a different position).

I guess we'll see how things go.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #92 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
rebounding and scoring at a similar rate as Bargs is a perfect reason not to bother with him. .
He rebounds better then Bargnani at a different position and 3-4'' shorter. And as for scoring, if he got 17-18 shots per game like Bargnani it's not inconceivable that he could score 20ppg, in fact it appears highly likely. Between him and JJ at SF our rebounding and defense would be solid as well. Fact is, if we had a player like Green @ SF (not PF) and were able to draft a solid PG then positions 1 through 4 would be pretty set and all we'd have to address is the Center position.

example:

Irving/Bayless
Derozan/Barbosa
Green/JJ/Kleiza
Davis/Amir/Evans?

Not saying we'll be able to draft Irving, but if not him then maybe Walker or Knight?

Last edited by jeffb; 05-07-2011 at 07:11 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #93 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,515
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
He rebounds better then Bargnani at a different position and 3-4'' shorter. And as for scoring, if he got 17-18 shots per game like Bargnani it's not inconceivable that he could score 20ppg, in fact it appears highly likely. Fact is, if we had a player like Green @ SF (not PF) and were able to draft a solid PG then positions 1 through 4 would be pretty set and all we'd have to address is the Center position.

example:

Irving/Bayless
Derozan/Barbosa
Green/JJ/Kleiza
Davis/Amir/Evans?

Not saying we'll be able to draft Irving, but if not him then maybe Walker or Knight?
That's exactly the lineup I'm thinking of.... young athletes at every position.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #94 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
He rebounds better then Bargnani at a different position and 3-4'' shorter. And as for scoring, if he got 17-18 shots per game like Bargnani it's not inconceivable that he could score 20ppg, in fact it appears highly likely. Between him and JJ at SF our rebounding and defense would be solid as well. Fact is, if we had a player like Green @ SF (not PF) and were able to draft a solid PG then positions 1 through 4 would be pretty set and all we'd have to address is the Center position.

example:

Irving/Bayless
Derozan/Barbosa
Green/JJ/Kleiza
Davis/Amir/Evans?

Not saying we'll be able to draft Irving, but if not him then maybe Walker or Knight?

That lineup doesnt come close to exciting me. Green is a meh player if I ever seen one. and unless Demar come even one tenth of what some fans beleive he will and same with davis team might make second round.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #95 (permalink)
...

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,072
Representing:
Default

We'd have to sign and trade for Green, so essentially hed be getting a 5 year deal in most scenarios, something we just cant have. I hate Bargs, but trading him for a re upped average player for 5 years is not a good move.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #96 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooch View Post
That lineup doesnt come close to exciting me. Green is a meh player if I ever seen one. and unless Demar come even one tenth of what some fans beleive he will and same with davis team might make second round.
And you have a problem with the 2nd round now? It's a start. We get to the second round and our players gain experience and value which leads to moves that can take you to the next level. You think we're gonna form a team that can get to the third round or beyond before first winning a round. If so give your head a shake.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #97 (permalink)
A Celtic-Red Sox hater!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 511
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
In a heartbeat. Can anyone imagine Bargnani playing with KG?
Can we just send him to Boston for a year on loan and hope that K.G can teach him some intestinal fortitude and the meaning of defensive intensity. Than he might come back a useful player for a truly capable, winning team?
tvett6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #98 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
And you have a problem with the 2nd round now? It's a start. We get to the second round and our players gain experience and value which leads to moves that can take you to the next level. You think we're gonna form a team that can get to the third round or beyond before first winning a round. If so give your head a shake.
That would be it, second round, best case scenario.

And with alot of big contracts at that point in time, no capspace, no high picks. No thanks.

Would much rather loose a copuple of years and get assets through the draft, trades and capspace than make a move like this and be on a treadmill again.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #99 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,467
Representing:
Default

Edit - woooooooooooops! Misunderstood the op.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #100 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
We'd have to sign and trade for Green, so essentially hed be getting a 5 year deal in most scenarios, something we just cant have. I hate Bargs, but trading him for a re upped average player for 5 years is not a good move.
So a young player who's proven to be a two way player and we can't give him say a 5yr/35Mil contract, so we'll keep Bargnani who's owed 4yrs/40Mil and who obviously should be moved? OK
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24