backcourt idea
Old 10-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,278
Representing:
Default backcourt idea

against teams like boston, NJ or NO, would it be a good idea to pair jose with banks? Banks seems to be by far our best defensive PG, and he's quick enough on offense to keep rondo or harris busy, while jose should hold his own against courtney lee or ray allen, and he will be spared on D, allowing him to focus on his offense.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,752
Representing:
Default

Wait he hasn't even played a regular season game of meaning in like for ever...shouldn't we wait to have this conversation?
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,151
Representing:
Default

Banks is not better than Jack on D. If any other PG plays along side Jose it will be Jack. Jack is big enough to take on most SG's. Banks will be hard pressed to get much PT at all...
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
ready for the 09-10 season!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5
Representing:
Default

Agree with Apollo.

I suppose it really depends on the situations. Against smaller backcourts you could go with Jose and Jack late in the game.

I do hope the Raps ease DeRozan into late game situations to give him experience. If the kid is going to get better, he needs to be out there in clutch time.
Nicgo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
all right

Member
 
sixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 268
Representing:
Default

Banks has been playing well in the preseason but I don't think he will play unless an injury comes
BTW Banks is better than Douby
sixel is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,752
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixel View Post
Banks has been playing well in the preseason but I don't think he will play unless an injury comes
BTW Banks is better than Douby
+1
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF OG
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: At my house
Posts: 1,381
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicgo View Post
I do hope the Raps ease DeRozan into late game situations to give him experience. If the kid is going to get better, he needs to be out there in clutch time.
Why, when this team finally looks like it could be a winner, would you want a rookie thrust onto the court in situations where the game is on the line?
This season is about making a splash in the play-offs, not developing a 20 year old kid for the future. The future is now.
The best players need to be on the floor in crunch time. Period.

People need to back the fuck off the DeRozan bandwagon just a bit.
Dann38 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

RF OG
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: At my house
Posts: 1,381
Representing:
Default

It is interesting to note that when Jack and Calderon have been on the floor together, it's been Jose playing off the ball. I thought Jack was the "combo guard".
Dann38 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
neither hither nor thither

the big raptus
 
bladeraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sheffield, England
Posts: 224
Representing:
Default

its amazing how people have totally changed their opinions over banks, purely based upon him showing good form in 2 pre-season games. i am actually amazed at how fickle most of you are, during the off-season you all would be slagging banks off saying his contract was a curse, now some of you want him to play significant minutes! flip flop to da max me thinks.

i am all up for giving him a chance if hes willing to put a shift in and work his butt off however, but damn opinion can change like that (clicks fingers). that may be the way sports fans are and i understand that, football (soccer) suffers big time from it.
bladeraptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,599
Representing:
Default

Yup, Marcus was the biggest piece of turd who needed to be bought out immediately and now he's part of the bigger picture.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
mooing

Senior Member
 
babyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,102
Representing:
Default

I say use Banks and then throw him out. Once you resign him he'll just screw us over.
babyface is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,895
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface View Post
I say use Banks and then throw him out. Once you resign him he'll just screw us over.
Wait a second there, no one said anything about resigning the guy......i dont know what your thinking but that guy will never get another NBA contract (unless its for the min)
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
neither hither nor thither

the big raptus
 
bladeraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sheffield, England
Posts: 224
Representing:
Default

yeah, the raps is probably his last big hurrah in the nba (and what a big hurrah that is) ching ching.
bladeraptor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn
 
Renihan_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,359
Representing:
Default

I would have thought Courtney Lee would tear Jose apart!

It might not be the worst idea on Ray-ray. I'm not sure Banks is the guy either in what limited time we have seen him but he has looked pretty decent on D so far.
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
thinking Stephen Harper has got to go.

Senior Student
 
lonewolfpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 1,239
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeraptor View Post
its amazing how people have totally changed their opinions over banks, purely based upon him showing good form in 2 pre-season games. i am actually amazed at how fickle most of you are, during the off-season you all would be slagging banks off saying his contract was a curse, now some of you want him to play significant minutes! flip flop to da max me thinks.

i am all up for giving him a chance if hes willing to put a shift in and work his butt off however, but damn opinion can change like that (clicks fingers). that may be the way sports fans are and i understand that, football (soccer) suffers big time from it.
This quote is a classic example of why generaliztion is faulty thinking. Most likely the people praising Banks right now were quiet when the daggars were being thrown at him and the people bashing him are being rather quiet right now.
lonewolfpoet is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
back

Senior Member
 
DuCa00795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Maratimes
Posts: 3,119
Representing:
Default

It's 2 games into pre-season. Come' On. I was one of the guys who defended Banks in the offseason arguing he wasn't as terrible as people say he is. But for him to actually get minutes in the regular season is a bit of a joke. Gimme a break.
DuCa00795 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,278
Representing:
Default

I think his defense was outstanding, he might have been a little to aggressive, but all in all, he was the main reason philadelphia shot under 30% in the combined 4th quarters. He is a liability on offense, but he's quick enough to at least present a challenge to rondo, and with his d, we could take away one of the two major threats boston poses to us (pierce and rondo).

Against most teams, he would not be necessary. He's undersized, and probably couldn't defend derrick rose a good as jack. But apparently jack is not a great defender against quick PGs, just like Calderon isn't. Which really leaves banks as the only stopper (I doubt wright has a chance to stay in front of rondo or harris - he might be able to defend some PGs, but not the very quick ones). It's basically a matter of choosing between getting killed on D, or decreasing the offensive firepower.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,940
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I think his defense was outstanding, he might have been a little to aggressive, but all in all, he was the main reason philadelphia shot under 30% in the combined 4th quarters. He is a liability on offense, but he's quick enough to at least present a challenge to rondo, and with his d, we could take away one of the two major threats boston poses to us (pierce and rondo).

Against most teams, he would not be necessary. He's undersized, and probably couldn't defend derrick rose a good as jack. But apparently jack is not a great defender against quick PGs, just like Calderon isn't. Which really leaves banks as the only stopper (I doubt wright has a chance to stay in front of rondo or harris - he might be able to defend some PGs, but not the very quick ones). It's basically a matter of choosing between getting killed on D, or decreasing the offensive firepower.
you have got to be shitting me....you really think banks can hold off Rondo an Pierce?....wow....just wow........and you say he cant defend rose but he could defend rondo and pierce.......but i do think he can be useful for guarding backup pg's...

Last edited by VanCity; 10-08-2009 at 01:44 PM.
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,151
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface View Post
I say use Banks and then throw him out. Once you resign him he'll just screw us over.
Trust me, Banks will never get another big contract. Banks will never get another nice contract. Banks will be lucky if he's still in the league after his current contract ends.
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,639
Representing:
Default

I don't see him in the picture. He is smart enough to know what he needs to do to have any kind of shot though. I still thought he gambled on D a bit too much.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What backcourt should close out games? jeffb Toronto Raptors 17 01-09-2010 09:10 PM
D. Smith: Belinelli's play forcing JT to abort JJ/Jose backcourt jeffb Toronto Raptors 30 11-18-2009 11:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24