Atlanta Raptors - Page 3
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,898
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojiphre View Post
I've mentioned that Davis can contribute immediately, can impact the team as soon as he's on the floor because of his skillset. He has quickness and length and would be a good anchor on the defensive end, playing in Casey's hedge and recover system. He's showing an offensive game that is decent but not spectacular and will come around even more by playing hard on defense. Also, it's not said and done that he cannot play with Bargnani...split the minutes between them, let's see who plays better (although this would slow down the rebuilding process). It's just that, by trading the top pick (if we ever get it), it would be difficult to net an equal return.

And what has Bargs done to make him untouchable? I know who he is, but I don't really know what's going on too much with him. I don't even know what he's done. Like, I have no idea what you guys are talking about...I don't even know what the fuck is going on. What the fuck is going on? Who is this kid? I've heard about him and stuff like that, but what's he been doing? Is he getting like triple doubles or some shit? He's averaging 24 and 7 rpg in a 15 win Raptor team? No shit...Jesus Christ. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
the argument isn't that Bargnani is untouchable, but rather he is untouchable if you don't get equal value in return, which i'm guessing is true in most cases. Sure Bargnani for Durant would be awesome, but do you think it'd happen? Now Bargnani for Josh smith (if he agrees to an extension) would be worth considering, but I doubt Atlanta would put that on the table. Most teams in the NBA undervalue bargs, or i'm guessing, or else BC would've pulled the plug had the right deal came in. He's no idiot, he's a good GM. We had 47 wins in 06-07, the year he came in, and he made pheonix a 60 win team for a couple seasons.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #42 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
the argument isn't that Bargnani is untouchable, but rather he is untouchable if you don't get equal value in return, which i'm guessing is true in most cases. Sure Bargnani for Durant would be awesome, but do you think it'd happen? Now Bargnani for Josh smith (if he agrees to an extension) would be worth considering, but I doubt Atlanta would put that on the table. Most teams in the NBA undervalue bargs, or i'm guessing, or else BC would've pulled the plug had the right deal came in. He's no idiot, he's a good GM. We had 47 wins in 06-07, the year he came in, and he made pheonix a 60 win team for a couple seasons.
1. On the coat tails of a promising season from Bosh/Mitchell/Calderon, 2. Steve Nash
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #43 (permalink)
cool

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 819
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
the argument isn't that Bargnani is untouchable, but rather he is untouchable if you don't get equal value in return, which i'm guessing is true in most cases. Sure Bargnani for Durant would be awesome, but do you think it'd happen?
Of course not, let's be realistic here.

Quote:
Now Bargnani for Josh smith (if he agrees to an extension) would be worth considering, but I doubt Atlanta would put that on the table. Most teams in the NBA undervalue bargs, or i'm guessing,
The problem is that some people in this forum think Bargs is such a rare talent that we can't live without, when he's really like Bosh. He's not "a #1 option that we shouldn't trade". Do you think BC made the right choice of keeping Bosh at the deadline? Nobody knew better, so at that time it was the right choice, but my point is that we shouldn't be infatuated with mediocrity, as fans we should expect better from our team, we're paying for it anyway. Now, a guy like Davis comes along and you pass him up because Bargs is already playing 4? Really, that's it? We need to make the most of what we have, just because a guy can put up stats but never his team to the top doesn't mean we shouldn't look for a change.

Quote:
or else BC would've pulled the plug had the right deal came in. He's no idiot, he's a good GM.
Really, like when BC hardly worked anyone else out in 06 and just drafted Bargnani...5 years on, where are we now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
24 and 7? Make it 19 and 6.
Oh the exaggeration was to make the point clearer, that's his stats when the Raps win.

Last edited by neojiphre; 03-23-2012 at 12:46 AM.
neojiphre is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #44 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

How did this become about Andrea not being untouchable? Nobody said he was...... my point was that if we could land the #1 pick, many teams would likely be willing to pay a huge price for it, and likely at least one would be willing to overpay...... If you think AD is going to be a Durant/Rose/Lebron type talent, then maybe you just keep it, but if you have any doubts which you should, then to entertain the idea would be wise.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #45 (permalink)
...

Senior Member
 
powerfulpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,487
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
How did this become about Andrea not being untouchable? Nobody said he was...... my point was that if we could land the #1 pick, many teams would likely be willing to pay a huge price for it, and likely at least one would be willing to overpay...... If you think AD is going to be a Durant/Rose/Lebron type talent, then maybe you just keep it, but if you have any doubts which you should, then to entertain the idea would be wise.
i agree with that thought but only in a year were theres so clear cut number one. which is kinda ironic cuz in Bargnani year, there was no clear cut number one. and i don't think you shared the same views back then, correct? and theres always gonna be doubts, so that makes no sense.
going into this NCAA season there were multiple number 1 projections. however, as the season played out it was clear davis is in a class of his own. he's the clear cut number 1 and anything after that is anyones guess right now. so i would want to keep the pick and draft him. i've watched him multiple times this year and i'm sold. i love his game. also, in a crap year for the raptors, i've paid more attention to the ncaa to check out some future prospects. davis is really the only one thats impressed me.
powerfulpanda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #46 (permalink)
a starter

Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Representing:
Default

To the OP, yes, I'd be happy if we became the Atlanta Raptors. Currently, the Raptors are basically the LA Clippers North. And if the Clippers can turn things around, we'll just become the biggest joke in the league. Not as bad, but pretty bad.

This is one reason I'm sold on Casey and BC right now. I like the idea of changing the culture. We need to turn this team into a playoff treadmill team before we see any kind of success. At that point, we may be able to actually attract talent here in free agency. I hate it when people say it's because we're Canadian, or considered a small market or it's cold. The fact is the Raptors organization is considered a joke in the league. That's why free agent's don't sign here unless they're looking for a big payday.
StartingBench is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
T. Ross IS The Phantom Menace.

Lackey
 
Ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,517
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfulpanda View Post
i agree with that thought but only in a year were theres so clear cut number one. which is kinda ironic cuz in Bargnani year, there was no clear cut number one. and i don't think you shared the same views back then, correct? and theres always gonna be doubts, so that makes no sense.
going into this NCAA season there were multiple number 1 projections. however, as the season played out it was clear davis is in a class of his own. he's the clear cut number 1 and anything after that is anyones guess right now. so i would want to keep the pick and draft him. i've watched him multiple times this year and i'm sold. i love his game. also, in a crap year for the raptors, i've paid more attention to the ncaa to check out some future prospects. davis is really the only one thats impressed me.
Just curious on your take of MKg and / or Barnes from what you've seen.
Ammo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
...

Senior Member
 
powerfulpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,487
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
Just curious on your take of MKg and / or Barnes from what you've seen.
i like MKG more than barnes. not a huge fan of barnes. he's 6-8 but his offense consists of mostly jump shots. hes a good shooter but when those shots aren't falling thats when you get those horrible shooting games. when it does you get those 40 point games. and he doesn't take the ball to the rack enough at the 3 for my liking. i think he's a better fit at the 2. tall, shooter, so so atheletically, ok rebounder. i don't know....i just see a lot of marvin harrison in him.
MKG is a slasher and a great rebounder and more athletic. more of an ideal 3 than barnes. he can really drive to the hoop. his jump shot is average but i think thats one of the easier things to improve in your game. and thats like the most common thing you hear about prospects coming out. "needs to work on jump shot" and in the end they all do.
so if both were available come the raps pick, i would hope they go for MKG
powerfulpanda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #49 (permalink)
cool

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 819
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
How did this become about Andrea not being untouchable? Nobody said he was...... my point was that if we could land the #1 pick, many teams would likely be willing to pay a huge price for it, and likely at least one would be willing to overpay...... If you think AD is going to be a Durant/Rose/Lebron type talent, then maybe you just keep it, but if you have any doubts which you should, then to entertain the idea would be wise.
What the hell is all this tanking for if we're not going to keep the pick anyway, do u seriously think we'll get a lot in return by trading #1? I don't think other GMs would spend a lot to trade for an unproven talent.
neojiphre is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #50 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojiphre View Post
What the hell is all this tanking for if we're not going to keep the pick anyway, do u seriously think we'll get a lot in return by trading #1? I don't think other GMs would spend a lot to trade for an unproven talent.
yes I do think so.... if AD is so good, why wouldn't they? Also.... tanking is simply about improving the odds of getting a good asset, whether you keep it or trade it for other assets, doesn't matter... it's the end result that matters. If somebody covets your asset more than you do, then it's an ideal trade scenario. It's all just chess pieces anyways.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #51 (permalink)
cool

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 819
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
yes I do think so.... if AD is so good, why wouldn't they? Also.... tanking is simply about improving the odds of getting a good asset, whether you keep it or trade it for other assets, doesn't matter... it's the end result that matters. If somebody covets your asset more than you do, then it's an ideal trade scenario. It's all just chess pieces anyways.
good point but i still don't agree, watching so much tanking going on this season it would be hard to swallow if we ended up with a top pick, traded it then it turned out to be the next big thing. i guess it's all because of the tanking - it makes you overvalue your picks. i wished our scouting staff stopped stealing money from the organisation to use for their vacations.
neojiphre is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24