Amir, Davis and the PF position - Page 2
Old 07-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Little else? A guy off the bench leading the team in rebounding at 22yrs old is pretty impressive if you ask me. Plus he's better than Amir defensively and isn't foul prone. This guy has played 2 years, one of them shortened and hasn't had one full training camp, is in his first summer league, couldn't workout with the coaches last summer and is playing under his second coach already. I think we would be giving up on him far too early. If he continues to add size and improve his shot (which he seems to have already) he's a keeper imo.
He's smaller than Amir and isn't as strong or as good defensively either... we disagree, but I don't think defense is all about blocks. Ed gets bullied consistently and isn't tall enough to match up with most bigs in the league. I suppose I'm just tired of undersized bigs though... it's hard to win with them when you have mediocre wing play.

Amir is also consistent but I think he's more refined and hustles more. Ed was a 13th pick that many people have fallen in love with. I'd take Tyler Hansborough over him.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
He's smaller than Amir and isn't as strong or as good defensively either... we disagree, but I don't think defense is all about blocks. Ed gets bullied consistently and isn't tall enough to match up with most bigs in the league. I suppose I'm just tired of undersized bigs though... it's hard to win with them when you have mediocre wing play.

Amir is also consistent but I think he's more refined and hustles more. Ed was a 13th pick that many people have fallen in love with. I'd take Tyler Hansborough over him.
Davis needs to show well this season or that love will fall quickly.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,653
Representing:
Default

This is Davis' year to show he belongs
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,760
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
He's smaller than Amir and isn't as strong or as good defensively either... we disagree, but I don't think defense is all about blocks. Ed gets bullied consistently and isn't tall enough to match up with most bigs in the league. I suppose I'm just tired of undersized bigs though... it's hard to win with them when you have mediocre wing play.

Amir is also consistent but I think he's more refined and hustles more. Ed was a 13th pick that many people have fallen in love with. I'd take Tyler Hansborough over him.
Davis is an inch taller and more than 20 pounds heavier than Amir. What Johnson does better is use leverage against bigger, heavier PFs and Cs than Davis. Johnson is also the better offensive player with his consistent jump shot. Davis, though, has a much higher ceiling, and we saw at times that he can make an impact on the boards and on defence.

Davis needs to gain more strength, but I like how he's progressing. He's only 22 years old (soon to be 23), so he has a lot of growth and development left.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

I think Amir is better. Even reading scouting or press in other cities, they always stalk about how easy it is to push Davis around because he is too small. I bring it up because people in other cities have no bias, they just call players on other teams as they see them.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Davis is an inch taller and more than 20 pounds heavier than Amir. What Johnson does better is use leverage against bigger, heavier PFs and Cs than Davis. Johnson is also the better offensive player with his consistent jump shot. Davis, though, has a much higher ceiling, and we saw at times that he can make an impact on the boards and on defence.

Davis needs to gain more strength, but I like how he's progressing. He's only 22 years old (soon to be 23), so he has a lot of growth and development left.
Here's to hoping.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Davis is an inch taller and more than 20 pounds heavier than Amir. What Johnson does better is use leverage against bigger, heavier PFs and Cs than Davis. Johnson is also the better offensive player with his consistent jump shot. Davis, though, has a much higher ceiling, and we saw at times that he can make an impact on the boards and on defence.

Davis needs to gain more strength, but I like how he's progressing. He's only 22 years old (soon to be 23), so he has a lot of growth and development left.
Davis may be listed taller, but watching him next to other players tells me that his listing is embellished.

Amir came up with some huge defensive plays too so I'm not sure the ceiling for either is different. Amir is still young too and hasn't stopped learning and developing.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
I think Amir is better. Even reading scouting or press in other cities, they always stalk about how easy it is to push Davis around because he is too small. I bring it up because people in other cities have no bias, they just call players on other teams as they see them.
I agree about his size. If he doesn't add 15-20lbs soon and get strong he probably won't be here long term. The tools are are there and his shot looks better but if he doesn't get stronger it's all moot.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @BaileysBlitz View Post
If it helps the team and if he has a good match up,why not? He's 7 foot and not slow. He doesn't need to start at that position but there's nothing wrong with him playing C in relief for a few minutes. AB is too babied! I would use Dirk at C if necessary (in a relief situation) and let's not compare Bargnani to Dirk,he is nowhere near as good of a player as Nowitzki.
they play similar styles of basketball, and when you do that, you are allowed to compare them positionally, not talent wise. AB showed that he's better on offence, and on defence, while playing in the PF slot and for the time being he's the best player on this team, so why put your best player in a position for him to perform less? the logic just doesn't seem to fit.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I agree about his size. If he doesn't add 15-20lbs soon and get strong he probably won't be here long term. The tools are are there and his shot looks better but if he doesn't get stronger it's all moot.
His shot is still horrid
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
His shot is still horrid
It's better than it was, which is all I care about at his age.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #32 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

well iwasn't, he didnt have a shot, it was a zero...so really, to improve on zero he has to do what???
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,321
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
Amir has a better motor
No he doesn't. He misses assignments doesn't work hard enough mentally. then he has to run around like a chicken with his head cut off to make up for it.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
No he doesn't. He misses assignments doesn't work hard enough mentally. then he has to run around like a chicken with his head cut off to make up for it.
Sounds like Ed, only he doesn't do the chicken dance after and fails to make up for it.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,321
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Sounds like Ed, only he doesn't do the chicken dance after and fails to make up for it.
No it doesdn't sound like Ed. Maybe I should put it a way people here can understand.... Amir has a really low basketball IQ and average motor that he uses to try and compensate with Casey's system, but fails to do so.

:cookie:
.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #36 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
No it doesdn't sound like Ed. Maybe I should put it a way people here can understand.... Amir has a really low basketball IQ and average motor that he uses to try and compensate with Casey's system, but fails to do so.

:cookie:
.
Ok, I'll put it in a way that others can understand.... Ed isn't good. Amir is better. You disagree but that doesn't make either of us right.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

No way davis is bigget than amir, he's more like brand. I just don't see anything about davis to bring hope. He's an ok shot blocker and reboundet, but nothing spectacular. And he's just and energy player on offense. But the biggest worry is his size, i don't see anything in his game that can help him overcome that limitation.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Davis- Good defensive instincts, mature, rebounds, blocks shots, seems to lack a sense of urgency, bad Jump/FT shooter, undersized, can be inconsistent

Amir- Good motor, decent jump shot, pretty good rebounder, is still foul prone after 5yrs in the NBA (not counting his first 2 seasons b/c he didn't really play), pretty good FT shooter, can be inconsistent


Therefore,

*Davis- If he improves his shot and strength is a solid backup/borderline starter (23yrs old)

*Amir- If he learns to play a little more controlled and not foul so much is a solid backup/borderline starter (25yrs old)



I still say Davis has more room to grow and has more upside, while Amir may have topped out and is more or less what he'll be for the most part at nearly 26yrs old. But i will say, if Davis doesn't show significant improvement this season (if given minutes) all bets are off for. Not completely sold yet but still hopeful.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #39 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,510
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Davis- Good defensive instincts, mature, rebounds, blocks shots, seems to lack a sense of urgency, bad Jump/FT shooter, undersized, can be inconsistent

Amir- Good motor, decent jump shot, pretty good rebounder, is still foul prone after 5yrs in the NBA (not counting his first 2 seasons b/c he didn't really play), pretty good FT shooter, can be inconsistent


Therefore,

*Davis- If he improves his shot and strength is a solid backup/borderline starter (23yrs old)

*Amir- If he learns to play a little more controlled and not foul so much is a solid backup/borderline starter (25yrs old)



I still say Davis has more room to grow and has more upside, while Amir may have topped out and is more or less what he'll be for the most part at nearly 26yrs old. But i will say, if Davis doesn't show significant improvement this season (if given minutes) all bets are off for. Not completely sold yet but still hopeful.
Agree for the most part... but if Amir is nearly 26 (May) then Ed is nearly 24 (June). I think the difference is marginal as well though I think Ed has a lot more work to get there. Amazing how many doubters there were last offseason when I said Greg Monroe was a better player than Ed. Size makes a big difference in this league. As unskilled as Gray is, he makes it look easier just by having a much bigger frame than both Amir and Ed.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #40 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Agree for the most part... but if Amir is nearly 26 (May) then Ed is nearly 24 (June). I think the difference is marginal as well though I think Ed has a lot more work to get there. Amazing how many doubters there were last offseason when I said Greg Monroe was a better player than Ed. Size makes a big difference in this league. As unskilled as Gray is, he makes it look easier just by having a much bigger frame than both Amir and Ed.
My bad, i thought Amir's birthday was december for some reason.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24