To all the doubters..... - Page 13
Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #241 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,429
Representing:
Default

I still love Haffa, too.... for the record.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #242 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,289
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
So, if Bosh had stayed healthy and we won a few more games and made the playoffs and lost in Round 1, is there the same amount of mockery happening here?

People are fickle.
If the Raps won 45 games, I doubt there'd be mockery. And I bet TORap wouldn't be bashing BC as much either. It goes both ways.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #243 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairGM View Post
+1 to both.

If this had been Jeffb's thead, it would have resulted in 20 consecutive

For the record, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between what TORap did and a plain, old regular predictions thread, in which users post predictions with lesser degrees of confidence and based on limited knowledge of how players will mesh. I have no problem with the actual prediction TORap made because I think the Raps could have won 45+ games. They had the talent. What I found foolish in October, and still do, is making a prediction phrased this way after only 1 game. And by "phrased this way" I mean basically daring people to comment in April and poking fun at them. After all, he said others looked "silly." He was essentially daring people.

Also, it is worth nothing that TORap has totally bashed BC lately. That is actually genuinely worthy of mockery. It is an ironic 180. No, he didn't flip flop during the season. That's true. Instead he just waited until the end of the season to rip the same GM he initially believed had constructed a 48-50 win team.
As I've already said "umpteen" times... this thread was originally made in response to the NUMEROUS people who were running around predicting the death of the franchise simply because we had a crap record in pre-season.

Anyone remember that? Or maybe my mistake was simply not having the foresight to bookmark THOSE gamethreads as well.

And you're right... I HAVE bashed BC lately. And with good reason. He's privy to knowledge that we on this board couldn't possibly have. The signing of Hedo based on the needs of this team was ridiculous. To be fair though I've always given him credit for the "Young Guns". He's done an admirable job of finding some "diamond in the rough" players.... he just doesn't know how to spend BIG money properly IMO.

I have no idea why a person like you would take offense at this thread.... unless you were one of the nay-sayers in the pre-season (which I don't think you were).

At this point I'll be honest with you.... I don't really give a rat's ass what people want to say about this thread or about me. If you don't like the thread or what I have to say, avoid me. Plain & simple. There are A LOT of people with 20/20 hindsight around here who haven't had the balls to make a constructive comment or observation all season long... yet they're the first ones to chirp up and say "ha! ha!" when they can prove someone wrong. Makes me vomit honestly. But to each his own.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #244 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

I'll still be your friend, ToRap.

Besides... half of em don't realize that you can kick their ass
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #245 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairGM View Post
If the Raps won 45 games, I doubt there'd be mockery. And I bet TORap wouldn't be bashing BC as much either. It goes both ways.
If you say so ACGM. My problems with BC are well-chronicled (you can ask any of the guys here who have known me from EBS way back when).

I was a staunch Babcock supporter in fact and wasn't drinking the Kool-Aid nearly as much as most were when it came to BC. The fact that I predicted 45 wins doesn't necessarily speak highly of the GM at all.

If the Raps would have won 45 games I'd have been giving most of the credit to the guy who really deserved it... Bosh.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #246 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
I'll still be your friend, ToRap.

Besides... half of em don't realize that you can kick their ass
Ha! I'm a pacifist by nature. You look pretty fierce in your avy though.... maybe I'll start sending my enemies your way so you can chew 'em up and spit 'em out.

BEWARE THE BITE OF THE BARRACUDA!!
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #247 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Ha! I'm a pacifist by nature. You look pretty fierce in your avy though.... maybe I'll start sending my enemies your way so you can chew 'em up and spit 'em out.

BEWARE THE BITE OF THE BARRACUDA!!
Yeah, I don't wanna brag... but I'm pretty tough.

Send em my way.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #248 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
I still love Haffa, too.... for the record.
And that's why I heart you buddy.... even though you won't root for my Habs.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #249 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
Yeah, I don't wanna brag... but I'm pretty tough.

Send em my way.
You can't be a wuss if you can suck back 50's.

Just not possible.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #250 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,289
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
As I've already said "umpteen" times... this thread was originally made in response to the NUMEROUS people who were running around predicting the death of the franchise simply because we had a crap record in pre-season.

Anyone remember that? Or maybe my mistake was simply not having the foresight to bookmark THOSE gamethreads as well.

And you're right... I HAVE bashed BC lately. And with good reason. He's privy to knowledge that we on this board couldn't possibly have. The signing of Hedo based on the needs of this team was ridiculous. To be fair though I've always given him credit for the "Young Guns". He's done an admirable job of finding some "diamond in the rough" players.... he just doesn't know how to spend BIG money properly IMO.

I have no idea why a person like you would take offense at this thread.... unless you were one of the nay-sayers in the pre-season (which I don't think you were).

At this point I'll be honest with you.... I don't really give a rat's ass what people want to say about this thread or about me. If you don't like the thread or what I have to say, avoid me. Plain & simple. There are A LOT of people with 20/20 hindsight around here who haven't had the balls to make a constructive comment or observation all season long... yet they're the first ones to chirp up and say "ha! ha!" when they can prove someone wrong. Makes me vomit honestly. But to each his own.
The people who commented during the pre-season were being foolish, too. You can't call a season based on a couple of games, whether it be a positive or negative prediction. But, when you post a thread like this, you're doing the same thing as the people you were annoyed by. But like I said, I didn't have a problem with the actual # of wins chosen, and I think it was a possibility had things not gone wrong. It's the 180 in a matter of days that I find troublesome.

If the Raps won 45+, people wouldn't be giving you a hard time, and I think you wouldn't be as harsh with your criticisms of BC. They haven't just been confined to Hedo.

I don't take offense at this thread. I just don't agree with the sudden 180. And I think another user, like Jeff, would have got a rougher ride. That's what prompted me to comment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
I'll still be your friend, ToRap.

Besides... half of em don't realize that you can kick their ass
I actually know that TORap is a big boy. Right now, he could DEFINITELY kick my ass. He said he never lifted weights when he was a teenager, so I might have lasted more than 30 seconds if we tangled when I was 17-19.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #251 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,289
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
If you say so ACGM. My problems with BC are well-chronicled (you can ask any of the guys here who have known me from EBS way back when).

I was a staunch Babcock supporter in fact and wasn't drinking the Kool-Aid nearly as much as most were when it came to BC. The fact that I predicted 45 wins doesn't necessarily speak highly of the GM at all.

If the Raps would have won 45 games I'd have been giving most of the credit to the guy who really deserved it... Bosh.
Okay, well if that's true, then fair enough. I just don't recall any substantive BC bashing from you during the season. So, from my perspective, I was quite shocked to see your once very positive attitude shift to one more aligned with the people who would have been trashing the Raps in the pre-season (and ultimately BC's decisions).
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #252 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairGM View Post
The people who commented during the pre-season were being foolish, too. You can't call a season based on a couple of games, whether it be a positive or negative prediction. But, when you post a thread like this, you're doing the same thing as the people you were annoyed by. But like I said, I didn't have a problem with the actual # of wins chosen, and I think it was a possibility had things not gone wrong. It's the 180 in a matter of days that I find troublesome.
Most of the time I'm pretty positive as it relates to the teams that I support. I really don't see the point of coming to a message board to drag the team that supposedly love through the mud. That's not what being a "fan" is all about. I'm not saying that we all should be raging homers but if you can't see the silver lining EVER.. then you've got a problem.

At times I get sick & tired of the naysaying and choose to give those people a taste of their own medicine. This was thread was an example of that. My saying that "Duncan sucks" and "Wade sucks" and "Dirk sucks" (because they failed in the playoffs) is another example of that. Do I believe it? Certainly not. I'm only pointing out how incredibly ridiculous Bosh haters are being in their criticism of him.

As for BC.... I'll lay it out for ya right now so there's no confusion.

I think he's a great politician. He's the kind of guy that has that easy smile that inspires confidence in spite of the fact that he may have done little to nothing to warrant such respect. I think that he was in a job where he couldn't get fired (in PHX with his daddy) and had time to hone his craft and figure a few things out. He made some good decisions... but he also made some terrible ones. In short, as a GM he's actually pretty average IMO. Babcock did more with less (again... IMO) and Grunwald better understood what it took to build a winner (veteran-laden defense).

BC's legacy is going to come down to this summer so we'll see what he's made of. If he manages to re-sign Bosh AND ditches Hedo or Jose (or gets us a legit swingman) THEN you'll see me do a 180. lol.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #253 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,756
Representing:
Default

I call 180's being allowed too. It's a fucking game. I loved Bargnani one time. A bit irrationally. Now he makes me sick, also a bit irrationally. We are talking about passions here. Passions do actually twist and turn in the wind.

What I don't get, and have to comment on, is the way so many posters have taken to referring to generalized groups whose passions might not reflect their own as morons or idiots or hypocrites or clowns or even (gasp) fanboys. I don't see where the need to act superior to that extent comes off as anything but shitty. Jeff - you want to suggest that this thread would bring on more ridicule had you been responsible for it? Why would that be? How much cheap ridicule do you throw around here? That might be where you find the answer. For the most part I don't have so much of a problem with it, but when you go overboard with it, you kill the willingness of people to participate, and perhaps improve on their level of participation.

I know it's not easy to hold back for any of us. God knows I'm as guilty as anyone for going overboard in opposing this or that passionate position. Personalities come into play and all that. Let me just ask everyone to remember that we all love the game and at least deserve to start from a position of mutual respect in that regard. It can be tricky to respond to stuff with that in mind all the time, but let's try to at least not come on here feeling like this place, or most of those who enter here, or even just a few of those who come here, are not worthy of doing so, because it just lessens all of us when that comes through. It makes this place a poor man's RGM - and fuck that shit.

I apologize for the preaching. I've just seen too much derogatory language surrounding this forum of late. If you have a problem with how some of the content on the forum is weighted, you have the ability and open opportunity to even the scales. Just calling out what you see as idiots doesn't do that. If anything it just encourages more people to follow the same route until we are all idiots full of sound and fury.

Sometimes not responding at all is the best way to go. It might have been the best option for Torap before starting this thread. It might have been the better option for myself when it comes to this post (too bad - you idiots probably didn't even catch the Shakespeare reference). My point is that this forum twists and turns in the wind as much as our passions do. If you get frustrated coming here one day, you could quite likely have a very different feeling the next day. So please - just pause before going overly negative and disrespectful.

And Haffa sucks.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #254 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,761
Representing:
Default

Rob Babcock 4 Life!
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #255 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,756
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Rob Babcock 4 Life!
Toraps new username?
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #256 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,761
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by •LX• View Post
Toraps new username?
If he wants.

I was being serious though.

He never got a fair shake and he had a vision, which is more than I can say for old what's his name.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #257 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by •LX• View Post
I call 180's being allowed too. It's a fucking game. I loved Bargnani one time. A bit irrationally. Now he makes me sick, also a bit irrationally. We are talking about passions here. Passions do actually twist and turn in the wind.

What I don't get, and have to comment on, is the way so many posters have taken to referring to generalized groups whose passions might not reflect their own as morons or idiots or hypocrites or clowns or even (gasp) fanboys. I don't see where the need to act superior to that extent comes off as anything but shitty. Jeff - you want to suggest that this thread would bring on more ridicule had you been responsible for it? Why would that be? How much cheap ridicule do you throw around here? That might be where you find the answer. For the most part I don't have so much of a problem with it, but when you go overboard with it, you kill the willingness of people to participate, and perhaps improve on their level of participation.

I know it's not easy to hold back for any of us. God knows I'm as guilty as anyone for going overboard in opposing this or that passionate position. Personalities come into play and all that. Let me just ask everyone to remember that we all love the game and at least deserve to start from a position of mutual respect in that regard. It can be tricky to respond to stuff with that in mind all the time, but let's try to at least not come on here feeling like this place, or most of those who enter here, or even just a few of those who come here, are not worthy of doing so, because it just lessens all of us when that comes through. It makes this place a poor man's RGM - and fuck that shit.

I apologize for the preaching. I've just seen too much derogatory language surrounding this forum of late. If you have a problem with how some of the content on the forum is weighted, you have the ability and open opportunity to even the scales. Just calling out what you see as idiots doesn't do that. If anything it just encourages more people to follow the same route until we are all idiots full of sound and fury.

Sometimes not responding at all is the best way to go. It might have been the best option for Torap before starting this thread. It might have been the better option for myself when it comes to this post (too bad - you idiots probably didn't even catch the Shakespeare reference). My point is that this forum twists and turns in the wind as much as our passions do. If you get frustrated coming here one day, you could quite likely have a very different feeling the next day. So please - just pause before going overly negative and disrespectful.

And Haffa IS AWESOME!!111
Well said LX! Well said!

:heehee:
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #258 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
If he wants.

I was being serious though.

He never got a fair shake and he had a vision, which is more than I can say for old what's his name.
How do you like my new avy?
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #259 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,289
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
If he wants.

I was being serious though.

He never got a fair shake and he had a vision, which is more than I can say for old what's his name.
My brain: "must fight urge to cover old territory...must fight urge to post....ahhhh...."
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #260 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,172
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairGM View Post
+1 to both.

If this had been Jeffb's thead, it would have resulted in 20 consecutive

For the record, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between what TORap did and a plain, old regular predictions thread, in which users post predictions with lesser degrees of confidence and based on limited knowledge of how players will mesh. I have no problem with the actual prediction TORap made because I think the Raps could have won 45+ games. They had the talent. What I found foolish in October, and still do, is making a prediction phrased this way after only 1 game. And by "phrased this way" I mean basically daring people to comment in April and poking fun at them. After all, he said others looked "silly." He was essentially daring people.

Also, it is worth nothing that TORap has totally bashed BC lately. That is actually genuinely worthy of mockery. It is an ironic 180. No, he didn't flip flop during the season. That's true. Instead he just waited until the end of the season to rip the same GM he initially believed had constructed a 48-50 win team.
+10000000000000
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESPN: Healthy and happy, O'Neal ready to quiet doubters Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 3 10-26-2008 09:01 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24