Aaron Gray coming back - Page 4
Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #61 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,879
Representing:
Default

I am officially confused.
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #62 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,727
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Okay, so we use the MLE to sign Gray to 5 million, and then don't have the cap space to sign Fields and trade for Lowry.

It doesn't work, Doc.
I can appreciate that. Use the MLE then wipe everyone off the books after the 11th to create the cap. Then if an SF comes up either trade JC or Amnesty him if the other team doesn't want salary back. Say amnesty JC then trade Bargs/Ross/JJ for Gay/Wroten?
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #63 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
I can appreciate that. Use the MLE then wipe everyone off the books after the 11th to create the cap. Then if an SF comes up either trade JC or Amnesty him if the other team doesn't want salary back. Say amnesty JC then trade Bargs/Ross/JJ for Gay/Wroten?
If we use the MLE (5 million) to sign Gray, for example, we would not even have the cap space to do just the moves we've already committed to (yes, even after waiving all our cap holds and rescinding Sonny's QO). We would have to amnesty or trade someone just to complete the transactions that have already been reported.

Simple facts, and the logic that follows:

1) We are using cap space to sign Fields.
2) To use cap space, you cannot use the MLE afterward.
3) If you use the MLE before, it eats into that cap space, making it insufficient to make the Lowry and Fields moves.*
4) As such, the MLE is not a possibility.**
5) As such, the Room MLE will instead be used.
6) As things stand, the only contract we can offer Gray is either 1.3M out of our cap space or 2.575 from the Room MLE.***
7) No way he signs for 1.3M, so he is signing for the Room MLE.

* As ever, unless an additional trade/amnesty is executed.
** Exception being if the Raps somehow convince the Knicks to S+T Fields.
*** Gray could also have been signed using his free agent rights. However, his cap hold on the books would have prevented the Fields and Lowry moves similarly to how using the MLE would.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #64 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,356
Representing:
Default

a little * and **.

we can still arrange a sign and trade for fields by using a possible amnesty candidate such as amir or kleiza. the knicks need depth and it makes more sense to hold on to our amnesty
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #65 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
a little * and **.

we can still arrange a sign and trade for fields by using a possible amnesty candidate such as amir or kleiza. the knicks need depth and it makes more sense to hold on to our amnesty
Absolutely. Just pointing out that IF no other move is made (amnesty or trade) - Gray is absolutely getting the Room MLE, as it is the only way we can offer him any significant money.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #66 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Being reported as a 2yrs/5Mil contract
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #67 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,506
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Being reported as a 2yrs/5Mil contract
If so, that's a great deal. A young, healthy 7 footer.... finally a FA that isn't overpaid here!
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #68 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 54
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
If so, that's a great deal. A young, healthy 7 footer.... finally a FA that isn't overpaid here!
I agree. At that price, I'm happy the big ogre is back in the fold.
Grover is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #69 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,506
Representing:
Default

If Gray gets 2 for 5, Sonny should be brought back for 2 for 2.5 then flipped in a deadline package for Iggy or Gay!

With a guy like Darrell Arthur looking at getting something like 2 for 9-10M, Gray looks like a steal.

Last edited by carp; 07-09-2012 at 11:16 AM.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #70 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

what's the room exception? mini mid-level?

anyway it is wolstat but....

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reported that Aaron Gray has agreed to a two-year deal with the Raptors. The six-year veteran started in 40 games for Toronto last season, averaging 3.9 PPG, 5.7 RPG, and 16.6 MPG in a total of 49 games. Ryan Wolstat of the Toronto Sun tweeted that he expects Gray to receive the team's "room exception", which should be about $2.5MM annually
Raptors To Re-Sign Aaron Gray : Hoops Rumors
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #71 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,334
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default

I have ZERO problem with Gray coming back. Great back up and good locker room guy.
Raptorman is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #72 (permalink)
hates pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,727
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
If we use the MLE (5 million) to sign Gray, for example, we would not even have the cap space to do just the moves we've already committed to (yes, even after waiving all our cap holds and rescinding Sonny's QO). We would have to amnesty or trade someone just to complete the transactions that have already been reported.

Simple facts, and the logic that follows:

1) We are using cap space to sign Fields.
2) To use cap space, you cannot use the MLE afterward.
3) If you use the MLE before, it eats into that cap space, making it insufficient to make the Lowry and Fields moves.*
4) As such, the MLE is not a possibility.**
5) As such, the Room MLE will instead be used.
6) As things stand, the only contract we can offer Gray is either 1.3M out of our cap space or 2.575 from the Room MLE.***
7) No way he signs for 1.3M, so he is signing for the Room MLE.

* As ever, unless an additional trade/amnesty is executed.
** Exception being if the Raps somehow convince the Knicks to S+T Fields.
*** Gray could also have been signed using his free agent rights. However, his cap hold on the books would have prevented the Fields and Lowry moves similarly to how using the MLE would.
I appreciate the basics of the explanation and all the caveats to it - it's good to cover your bases.

As for Aaron, I would be surprised if he signed for anything more than his 3mil QO. He produces 3.9/5.7, yes he only play 16mpg so his per would be great but damn he's slow. He's lucky he's 7' 270 and the team needed a back-up center - 5 for 2 years it's plenty good for what he brings (what he got last year). I suggested if we had the mle we could use it, definitely not all of it on Aaron. At the end of the day, the Raps are below the luxury tax now with the renouncing of Alabi and Bayless however the team is still over the cap. Still waiting for all these renouncing and waiving...
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #73 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
We use the room MLE, as I've been outlining.
but we're not allowed to use the regular MLE, because we will start the free agency below the cap, at least that's the way it used to be before.

because otherwise, we could release gray, sign fields and trade for lowry, go over the cap with some other minor move and then use the MLE or a portion of it on Gray ...

since we're not going to amnesty anybody just so we can sign gray, it's pretty certain he'll resign for the room MLE.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #74 (permalink)
...

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,161
Representing:
Default

Good signing. He played well last year and is a good fit at starting C until Valanciunius is ready mid season
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #75 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
I appreciate the basics of the explanation and all the caveats to it - it's good to cover your bases.

As for Aaron, I would be surprised if he signed for anything more than his 3mil QO. He produces 3.9/5.7, yes he only play 16mpg so his per would be great but damn he's slow. He's lucky he's 7' 270 and the team needed a back-up center - 5 for 2 years it's plenty good for what he brings (what he got last year). I suggested if we had the mle we could use it, definitely not all of it on Aaron. At the end of the day, the Raps are below the luxury tax now with the renouncing of Alabi and Bayless however the team is still over the cap. Still waiting for all these renouncing and waiving...
All those renouncing and waiving will never be announced. They never are, with the exception of qualifying offers.

The team will not have the MLE. They have the Room MLE.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #76 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
what's the room exception? mini mid-level?

anyway it is wolstat but....



Raptors To Re-Sign Aaron Gray : Hoops Rumors
Yeah, the room MLE (grouped in with the tax MLE when referred to as the "mini-MLE").
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #77 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,083
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
I have ZERO problem with Gray coming back. Great back up and good locker room guy.
Really? What does he do in the locker room that makes him so great? Pass around the ice cream sandwiches?
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #78 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
but we're not allowed to use the regular MLE, because we will start the free agency below the cap, at least that's the way it used to be before.

because otherwise, we could release gray, sign fields and trade for lowry, go over the cap with some other minor move and then use the MLE or a portion of it on Gray ...

since we're not going to amnesty anybody just so we can sign gray, it's pretty certain he'll resign for the room MLE.
Yes... That's what I've been trying to explain to Doc in this thread.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #79 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

As long as there are 50 shades. Hubba Hubba.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24