1st round pick....
Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,066
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default 1st round pick....

Something we haven't discussed and as ramifications of the J O'neal trade is if we make he playoffs this year we have to surrender our first round pick.

What are the implications of this? Are we going to regret not picking up another asset?

Draft picks are good assets to have on your team. So, that begs the question, should Colangelo seek out a first round pick to offset the loss of the pick this year? Or should we stand pat?
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

we're definitely going to regret it. we're missing out on one of the funniest days of basketball!

i believe we own two second rounders this upcoming draft, so there's always going to be teams selling their picks. some cash and those second rounders should put us into the competition.

i guess it really depends on the cap, though.

i honestly don't think BC has any faith in the draft anyways.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3
 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

From what I've read, it's supposed to be a fairly deep draft, but you can never really tell... I'd like to acquire a pick just because it's so much fun to speculate over who's going to be selected..
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Weak Draft makes BC a little lucky in that regards. However; you can't get lucky if you don't hold any dice.

BCs biggest flaw is giving up 1st rounders like they are candy to get out of jams.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneironaught View Post
From what I've read, it's supposed to be a fairly deep draft, but you can never really tell... I'd like to acquire a pick just because it's so much fun to speculate over who's going to be selected..
Well I think its weak. When a Transfer is projected to be a Lock in the Top 5 I don't think much of it. Then again it could be like last year with a ton of players having the potential to be NBA starters. I still say its weak but who knows
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
mooing

Senior Member
 
babyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,102
Representing:
Default

It's not like BC wanted to give our pick to Miami...
babyface is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,497
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface View Post
It's not like BC wanted to give our pick to Miami...
true, but so many fans actually believe the spin that Riley outsmarted Colangelo... absolutely untrue. So many levels to that deal that go unmentioned...
________
FORD RS200 HISTORY

Last edited by carp; 03-27-2011 at 03:43 AM.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
true, but so many fans actually believe the spin that Riley outsmarted Colangelo... absolutely untrue. So many levels to that deal that go unmentioned...
What Level? The fact the Raptors obtained cash in the deal? the fact Marion got sent to Dallas for a S&T? the fact BC obtained an overpaid 3rd string PG?

I don't see what has gone unmentioned. All I see is Colangelo sent a first rounder to Miami to fix up a mistake he made.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
wanting harrison barnes

Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 480
Representing:
Default

people said last years draft was weak, look how many of them are making an impact on their respective teams. speculation is fun until your wrong.
komot is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
a big titty

Member
 
big_titty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 428
Representing:
Default

This years draft is really weak. Outside Wall, Aminu and Turner noone has the ability to be anything amazing. With our 2nd round pick we should take ANdy Rautins that way Leo will be referred to as Andy Rautins' Dad more often by Devlin lol.
big_titty is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_titty View Post
This years draft is really weak. Outside Wall, Aminu and Turner noone has the ability to be anything amazing. With our 2nd round pick we should take ANdy Rautins that way Leo will be referred to as Andy Rautins' Dad more often by Devlin lol.
John Wall is going to be a top 2 pick for sure. Its prob either him or Turner. I dunno about the rest and Andy can't even drive to the hoop in college he'd be like less than kapono in the NBA most likely
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,646
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_titty View Post
This years draft is really weak. Outside Wall, Aminu and Turner noone has the ability to be anything amazing. With our 2nd round pick we should take ANdy Rautins that way Leo will be referred to as Andy Rautins' Dad more often by Devlin lol.
I'd be cool with Andy. It'd be cool.
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22,163
Representing:
Default

We only have one, maybe two second rounders depending on what conditional one we get from the Hassan Admas trade. I really hope we can get a first rounder. I love draft time and all the rumour floating around about what player is going on what team
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
a big titty

Member
 
big_titty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 428
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
John Wall is going to be a top 2 pick for sure. Its prob either him or Turner. I dunno about the rest and Andy can't even drive to the hoop in college he'd be like less than kapono in the NBA most likely
haha I was joking Andy will be lucky to get drafted. Who knows second round doesnt really matter. BC just has to go with his gut and mbe he'll find a solid role player at best.
big_titty is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_titty View Post
haha I was joking Andy will be lucky to get drafted. Who knows second round doesnt really matter. BC just has to go with his gut and mbe he'll find a solid role player at best.
I agree to that. Andy is super intelligent and has a sick shot so he may get a chance. Then again Gmac had a great shot and he is coaching now.

Its a tough year IMHO.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,396
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
What Level? The fact the Raptors obtained cash in the deal? the fact Marion got sent to Dallas for a S&T? the fact BC obtained an overpaid 3rd string PG?

I don't see what has gone unmentioned. All I see is Colangelo sent a first rounder to Miami to fix up a mistake he made.
than you have a narrow vision field

without the two JO trades, right now we'd have a team with jose/parker/moon starting at the 1-3 and TJ backing Jose at the PG position, and making 8 million a year. But we'd have JJ Hickson at the 4 instead of amir (taken with the 17th pick) , and a mid-1st rounder this summer (since we'd be winning around 30-32 games with a team like that).

The trades for JO were for cap space. Cap space allowed us to build this team. If the cost is two late, non-lottery picks, that's a small price to pay. 17th+ draft picks have a small chance of turning into quality players, and almost zero chance in becoming all stars.

Fact is, many people fall in love with draft picks, because they offer unlimited potential. But history shows that anything beyond 10-12 is really a crap shoot. The vast majority of these picks are not as good as a MLE in their first 3-4 years in the league. While a little cheaper than MLE, these picks are not nearly as valuable as people make them.

For example, the pick to Miami (hopefully in the 20+ range) is basically Amir's salary. What are the chances that Miami gets a player that is better than Amir in his first 2-3 years (or even after that) with that pick? Very very small.

Colangelo has shown throughout his career that he will almost never surrender lottery picks, but often trades late picks for quality players or cap relief (which in turn equal quality player if the savings are used smartly). A smart strategy imo.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
than you have a narrow vision field

without the two JO trades, right now we'd have a team with jose/parker/moon starting at the 1-3 and TJ backing Jose at the PG position, and making 8 million a year. But we'd have JJ Hickson at the 4 instead of amir (taken with the 17th pick) , and a mid-1st rounder this summer (since we'd be winning around 30-32 games with a team like that).

The trades for JO were for cap space. Cap space allowed us to build this team. If the cost is two late, non-lottery picks, that's a small price to pay. 17th+ draft picks have a small chance of turning into quality players, and almost zero chance in becoming all stars.

Fact is, many people fall in love with draft picks, because they offer unlimited potential. But history shows that anything beyond 10-12 is really a crap shoot. The vast majority of these picks are not as good as a MLE in their first 3-4 years in the league. While a little cheaper than MLE, these picks are not nearly as valuable as people make them.

For example, the pick to Miami (hopefully in the 20+ range) is basically Amir's salary. What are the chances that Miami gets a player that is better than Amir in his first 2-3 years (or even after that) with that pick? Very very small.

Colangelo has shown throughout his career that he will almost never surrender lottery picks, but often trades late picks for quality players or cap relief (which in turn equal quality player if the savings are used smartly). A smart strategy imo.
Colangelo is good at turning tables around and coming out smelling like roses at the end but he hasn't shown anyone how to win a title. Yes your right Colangelo wheels and deals and if you evaluated all his trades from beginning to end you'll see him coming out more than a winner than a loser but it doesn't compute to winning. To win is to own in the draft. Its true that a non lottery pick takes time to develop but on the other hand the draft is the only way to retrieve key pieces to a championship. You could turn all the deck chairs you want but i'm not showing a narrow vision field in that its the draft in where you need your key pieces.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

you can take the 2nd round picks to move up to the top of the 2nd round or possibly late 1st and get a good Euro player thats is always overlooked during the draft
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
feeling the wind

Senior Member
 
LJkAze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,037
Representing:
Default

Sorry i'm new to this draft pick thing or rather no clue at all; all I know about this is picking player that is good coming out from collage like Demar. Demar if i remember correctly he was 9th pick right and you guys said 2nd round so does this mean this year we're picking 2nd? I'm very confuse and I still have lost more to learn about basketball though I only started watching basketball 3 years ago lol
LJkAze is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
the go-to-guy

avatar by F1nir_
 
Mr4thQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,770
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Colangelo is good at turning tables around and coming out smelling like roses at the end but he hasn't shown anyone how to win a title. Yes your right Colangelo wheels and deals and if you evaluated all his trades from beginning to end you'll see him coming out more than a winner than a loser but it doesn't compute to winning. To win is to own in the draft. Its true that a non lottery pick takes time to develop but on the other hand the draft is the only way to retrieve key pieces to a championship. You could turn all the deck chairs you want but i'm not showing a narrow vision field in that its the draft in where you need your key pieces.
I don't agree. It's a demagogic argument imo.

All teams draft, pretty much on a yearly basis. So it's fair to assume every championship team has some 'core pieces' that they acquired through the draft.
But it's not true that teams can only get to championship contention by drafting. I don't know any championship team that is entirely build on the draft.



Then you may argue, the core pieces were. But that's probably not what got them over the hump. Or, you can make the opposite argument that other core pieces were acquired otherwise. It's probably subjective what is core and what not and what is essential.

(Btw the last three-peat dynasty ran on a one-two punch that wasn't drafted by them, Shaq-Kobe.)

If you look at the Raptors. Let's just assume for sh & giggles that they are a championship team in the making. Then your theorie would still hold up if we assume Bosh, Bargs and DeRozan will all be core pieces of that championship run. I don't think many championship teams have more than three core 'franchise' drafted players in their line up.
Mr4thQuarter is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24