Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 97

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 101

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 109

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 120

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 124

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 132

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 201

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/init.php on line 378

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/raptors/public_html/f/includes/class_core.php on line 2514
World Soccer Thread - Page 76
Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #1501 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats7 View Post
You were arguing with me for about a page and a half about this... Barcelona is not the best because they beat on mediocre teams... you have to beat the best. I'm glad you realize it now... maybe you simply didn't watch enough soccer back then .
Bel never said the EPL was not the best league there. He said that Barcelona is the best team in Europe. Please, try to keep up.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #1502 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

LOL yea.. but in those 2 quotes.. he said why does Barcelona have to beat the English teams to be the best in Europe?

Clear answer... They have 3/4 teams in the last 3 champions league semi's... the 4th team has always been beaten out by another English team I believe.

How can Barcelona be the best team in the world when they haven't beaten the best??? Just because Bel says so? ... or because they beat up bad teams? The true test if they are the best is if they can beat Chelsea/Man U.

I know Bel might say anything can happen in a tournament. But Man U and Chelsea are back in the same spot.
  Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #1503 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Ugh.....

Take this rankings list provided by Eurosport. See who's no. 1

Champions League - Power Rankings: Barca top - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

But whatever, you clearly believe that Chelsea or Man U are the best team in footy. I'll give you and argument for Man U, but Chelsea? No.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #1504 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Those rankings are before Chelsea moved on... Liverpool got knocked out... Man U moved on with a win... And right after Barcelona won 4-0 or 5-0 against Bayern.

I hate them... but I think Man U is the best team in the world. Won the EPL (best league) and Champs league last year. Winning the EPL this year... and are undefeated in champs league. I find it ridiculous to have anyone else there until Man U are beaten.

As for Chelsea.. I'd take a bullet for them... but they're not the best. But if they can win champs league and something magical happens in the EPL... you never know lol.

*******As a quick sidenote. That article says that Barcelona is LED by Messi and Eto'o... not Xavi and Iniesta... hmmm.
  Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #1505 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Yes, but if you also read on other parts of the site, you'll notice that Iniesta and Xavi are also listed as crucial cogs in Barcelona's attack. Maybe people don't pay attention to Iniesta because he's not as flashy as guys like Lampard, Gerrard etc. Take him out of the formation at midfield at Barca would struggle massively.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #1506 (permalink)
a Rhymenoceros

Senior Member
 
NaturallyStoned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 599
Representing:
Default

I think Iniesta's definitely more creative than Gerrard and Lampard ( if there's one criticism i'd level at those two, it's definitely their (lack of) creativity, and it's why England will always struggle with them playing off of each other). Xavi reminds me so much of a younger, quicker Paul Scholes. Great compliments- irreplaceable, and they're a joy to watch when they're on.
NaturallyStoned is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #1507 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

I say uncreative in the sense of not being a huge personality. Poor words of choice. Or at least, I don't see him as a huge personality compared to the others.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #1508 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya
 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,602
Representing:
Default

The funny part here is that Bmats thinks plays are started directly from the attackers not from the midfielders. Its like saying Torres and not Gerrard and Xabi Alonso are the ones that make liverpool play well. And the article makes reference to that game particulary BTW. Xavi is not flashy, Iniesta definetly is, he just doesnt score goals. Anyway this is really no discussion. Everyone in the world of soccer says the same thing but Bmat knows more than all the coaches and journalists of the game.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #1509 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Barcelona has the best strike pair in the world, the world player of the year, and an all-star defence.

If they lose to the uncreative frank lampard/Essien pair, who isn't playing with anyone close to being nominated world player of the year... beat Barcelona... then will you finally admit Xavi/Iniesta are overrated?

You see how Man U can sub in Anderson/giggs/scholes/carrick/nani/fletcher/park etc. etc.... they can substitute anyone in the world there.. same as Barcelona.. because Rooney.. berbatov and ronaldo can create something out of nothing. Ronaldo can score a goal from half 6 minutes into the game... and that's it. I know Barcelona play more of a team game and they move the whole unit forward as one... but you'll see when they play chelsea how much they will be outlcassed.

Xavi/Iniesta = Fisher/Ariza.
  Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #1510 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Hahahaha....post of the year material there Bmats. Chelsea outclassing Barcelona? Really?

Listen, I'm an Arsenal supporter, but even I KNOW we're in tough against Man U. I'm man enought to admit it. They're a better team than us right now, we're just peaking.

You on the other hand, are like a typical supporter, in that you're unrealistic. Barcelona are the superior team, whether you wish to acknowledge it or not. The fact that you say they'll be outclassed is funny if it were not sad.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #1511 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya
 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,602
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats7 View Post
Barcelona has the best strike pair in the world, the world player of the year, and an all-star defence.

If they lose to the uncreative frank lampard/Essien pair, who isn't playing with anyone close to being nominated world player of the year... beat Barcelona... then will you finally admit Xavi/Iniesta are overrated?


You see how Man U can sub in Anderson/giggs/scholes/carrick/nani/fletcher/park etc. etc.... they can substitute anyone in the world there.. same as Barcelona.. because Rooney.. berbatov and ronaldo can create something out of nothing. Ronaldo can score a goal from half 6 minutes into the game... and that's it. I know Barcelona play more of a team game and they move the whole unit forward as one... but you'll see when they play chelsea how much they will be outlcassed.

Xavi/Iniesta = Fisher/Ariza.

Ok, so you are saying barcelona has the best attackers in the world, an all-star defense, basically the best line up. Then you say Chelsea doesnt have anyone close to being in the top except lampard/essien. Ergo, you admit barcelona is the better team. Then you say they will obviously get outclassed.

This is fun, stop contradicting yourself!!

Oh then you say, all that thing about Man United not needing all those players. You know I have seen a team like that before. It was called Real Madrid. They sucked as a team but they beat everybody because of how good they were a couple of players individually. You know thats not being a good team or playing good soccer just like Italy winning the world cup against France didnt make them the best team.

Keep trying.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #1512 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Sorry. You guys misread my post.. I didn't type it well enough.

What I meant when I said.. you will see when they play chelsea how outclassed they will be... I was referring to Xavi/Iniesta vs. Lampard/Essien ... NOT the whole team.

And the only way chelsea will win... which I think they will... is because the center midfield absolutely dominates barcelona.. because the rest of barcelona's pieces are better (I'd still take drogba over either eto'o or henry... but together drogba really has no partner).

And at that time... Italy was the best team. I know in your world... winning doesn't make a team the best.. what you say makes them the best.. but they were.
  Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #1513 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Dude, Henry isn't the same player he was in 2006. Really he's slowed down a lot.

Also, any team can win a championship really. Greece won Euro 2004. Does that mean Greece was the team to beat in a continent full of great teams? No. Luck had a large part to play in it and they've been pretty much shitty ever since. Winning a tournament doesn't make you the best. Being consistent does. If we're talking world stage, everyone knows Brazil's the team to beat. It's the same in hockey. Sweden may have won gold, but everyone knows the team to beat is Canada and they're the top in the world.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #1514 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum
 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 13,266
Representing:
Default

oh.
my.
god.

please stop it!!!!!
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #1515 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya
 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,602
Representing:
Default

Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #1516 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
kg1585's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B-Town
Posts: 547
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Hahahaha....post of the year material there Bmats. Chelsea outclassing Barcelona? Really?

Listen, I'm an Arsenal supporter, but even I KNOW we're in tough against Man U. I'm man enought to admit it. They're a better team than us right now, we're just peaking.

You on the other hand, are like a typical supporter, in that you're unrealistic. Barcelona are the superior team, whether you wish to acknowledge it or not. The fact that you say they'll be outclassed is funny if it were not sad.
I think on current form Arsenal is better than Man U. Although Man U obviously has had the better season and have better depth.

Also Henry might not be what he was 2-3 years ago, but he still has had an incredible season. The three headed monster with Messi and E'to is unstoppable.
kg1585 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #1517 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

oh of course kg, but we're the underdog coming into our semi-final match up. The big thing for us right now is that we're learning how to win with guys like Gallas, Almunia and (can't remember who now) out. I've also really enjoyed the development Song this year and I don't think we miss a beat.

However, we can't start Kieran, I believe that's his name, again on the back end. Villareal didn't have the talent up front to exploit it, Man U does.

And Henry is a good player, but out of Messi and E'to, Henry would be the easiest shut down.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #1518 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Adebayor's main attribute is his strength. But the combination of Vidic and Ferdinand is probably the strongest (physically) center-back combination in the world lol.

I don't mind arsenal (love Walcott) .. but I don't see it happening.
  Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #1519 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
kg1585's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B-Town
Posts: 547
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
oh of course kg, but we're the underdog coming into our semi-final match up. The big thing for us right now is that we're learning how to win with guys like Gallas, Almunia and (can't remember who now) out. I've also really enjoyed the development Song this year and I don't think we miss a beat.

However, we can't start Kieran, I believe that's his name, again on the back end. Villareal didn't have the talent up front to exploit it, Man U does.

And Henry is a good player, but out of Messi and E'to, Henry would be the easiest shut down.
Yes, we are missing a lot of players at the back. Clichy and Almunia should be back for the semifinals and hopefully Djourou will be back as well. The thing that the Gunners have an advantage over Man U I believe is on attack. Man U has been struggling to score goals lately. A 17 year old kid had to come in and rescue them twice. With Fabregas, Walcott, RVP, Ade all healthy I don't know if Man U can slow these guys down.
kg1585 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #1520 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
kg1585's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B-Town
Posts: 547
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats7 View Post
Adebayor's main attribute is his strength. But the combination of Vidic and Ferdinand is probably the strongest (physically) center-back combination in the world lol.

I don't mind arsenal (love Walcott) .. but I don't see it happening.
Yes, but they also have RVP, Nasri and with Fabs pulling the strings in midfield I think Man U's defence will have a tough time.
kg1585 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK has the world gone mad? jeffb NBA Talk 20 07-03-2009 12:15 PM
CB4 at Nash's Soccer Game in NYC Acie Toronto Raptors 5 07-02-2009 01:24 PM
Hockey, Soccer, NCAA Basketball?? Superjudge Toronto Raptors 4 09-17-2008 12:14 PM
Where did my soccer thread go? MikeToronto Toronto Raptors 8 06-25-2008 05:26 PM
If you like soccer... Belsius Other Sports 8 02-12-2008 07:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24