World Soccer Thread - Page 70
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #1381 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

I hate Italian soccer and the the style they play more than anyone... from the diving... to the scandals..but they did win the world cup lol.

In terms of club teams... more specifically chelsea... they are missing that creative winger they have been lacking since Robben left. That's why they were so interested in Ronaldinho. I know they have brought in quaresma on loan but I don't think he's the answer.

And regarding barcelona... the heart of their team has always been offence. It was messi, eto'o and ronaldinho... now it's messi, eto'o and henry scoring goals like mad. The nucleus of their team, the xavi's/deco's are guys that can be replaced.

If Ronaldo does leave man u, they will definitely pick up someone else. Giggs and scholes are getting no younger and Ronaldo's speed down the wing can make up for the their slow center mids. They are eyeing ribery and also benzema. That is bad news for both Chelsea and Lyon... my two fav teams .
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #1382 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats7 View Post
I hate Italian soccer and the the style they play more than anyone... from the diving... to the scandals..but they did win the world cup lol.

In terms of club teams... more specifically chelsea... they are missing that creative winger they have been lacking since Robben left. That's why they were so interested in Ronaldinho. I know they have brought in quaresma on loan but I don't think he's the answer.

And regarding barcelona... the heart of their team has always been offence. It was messi, eto'o and ronaldinho... now it's messi, eto'o and henry scoring goals like mad. The nucleus of their team, the xavi's/deco's are guys that can be replaced.


If Ronaldo does leave man u, they will definitely pick up someone else. Giggs and scholes are getting no younger and Ronaldo's speed down the wing can make up for the their slow center mids. They are eyeing ribery and also benzema. That is bad news for both Chelsea and Lyon... my two fav teams .
You havent watched a lot Barcelona games then. When Barcelona went on a slump this season who was missing? Iniesta. And Xavi has always being the heart of that team. He is what makes Barcelona work how it works because of the way he moves the ball. Theres absolutely no similarity between Deco and Xavi.
3 years ago Xavi, Ronaldinho, Etoo were their most importat players. Now its Xavi, Messi and Iniesta.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #1383 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

I am forced to watch Barce games because my older bro's fav international team is Cameroon... and is a huge Eto'o supporter. If you replaced Iniesta with ... Essien... even though they are two different players.. the team would still be just as good. You can not replace the messi/eto'o combination on Barce or they would be a completely different team.

Also putting Dani Alves on the opposite side of Messi to use him like an Ashley Cole Wingback has been amazing for them.

Either way... you're right I probably don't follow as much Barcelona as maybe some of the other members on this forum who like Barce as their fav team. This is just from what I noticed.

I hated the draw that Chelsea got though. They have to beat liverpool... then barcelona... and then man u (probably) if they want to win champs league. Man U got pretty lucky with... in my opinion Seeds 1,6,7,8 on their side and 2,3,4,5 battling it out on the other side.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #1384 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

You really havent watched enough Barcelona soccer if you say Iniesta is expendable. Even though they are great players, both Henry and Etoo are much more expendable. They are not true creators, they are scorers and they have enough scorers on that team. Xavi and Iniesta are the ones that create and Messi is the one that draws the defense to make it easy for Etoo and Henry.
Why do you think the Spanish team is so good. Xavi and Iniesta, they are the soul of the team. People dont know them as stars but they both are easily in the top 10 of the world.
And Im a Real Madrid fan BTW, Im just completely amazed by the way Barcelona plays. Every game is a clinic.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #1385 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Well first, Barcelona has been destroying teams... but none of the 3 major English teams.. so we'll have to wait and see how they do.. even Lyon gave them a pretty good run for a bit.

Henry is a true leader, you can see that back from his days in Arsenal. Him coming to the team was much like Kevin Garnett coming to the Celtics. If you watch all the pre-game shows to the champs league matches... one of Barcelona's weaknesses is their center midfield... really their only weakness. So to say Iniesta and Xavi are better than C.Ronaldo, Messi, Eto'o, Gerrard, Torres, Lampard, Rooney, Kaka, Adebayor, Ribery, Ibrahimovic... not to mention goalkeepers... is pretty extreme. The only reason those guys were even considered on the fifa POY consideration is because the national team is doing well and they had 6 guys in the top 14.

The reason spain is so good is because their whole team is good, David Villa, Torres, Fabregas, Casillas, Puyol etc. etc.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #1386 (permalink)
confused why the raptors are so consistantly inconsistant

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 843
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats7 View Post
I am forced to watch Barce games because my older bro's fav international team is Cameroon... and is a huge Eto'o supporter. If you replaced Iniesta with ... Essien... even though they are two different players.. the team would still be just as good. You can not replace the messi/eto'o combination on Barce or they would be a completely different team.

Also putting Dani Alves on the opposite side of Messi to use him like an Ashley Cole Wingback has been amazing for them.

Either way... you're right I probably don't follow as much Barcelona as maybe some of the other members on this forum who like Barce as their fav team. This is just from what I noticed.

I hated the draw that Chelsea got though. They have to beat liverpool... then barcelona... and then man u (probably) if they want to win champs league. Man U got pretty lucky with... in my opinion Seeds 1,6,7,8 on their side and 2,3,4,5 battling it out on the other side.
lol, you watch barcelona and you still dont know a thing about them. Iniesta, Xavi and Messi are the catalists of the team. When they lost to espanyol and went in the funk, iniesta was out. In what way does that make iniesta expendable?
the_ raps_analyst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #1387 (permalink)
confused why the raptors are so consistantly inconsistant

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 843
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belsius View Post
You really havent watched enough Barcelona soccer if you say Iniesta is expendable. Even though they are great players, both Henry and Etoo are much more expendable. They are not true creators, they are scorers and they have enough scorers on that team. Xavi and Iniesta are the ones that create and Messi is the one that draws the defense to make it easy for Etoo and Henry.
[B]Why do you think the Spanish team is so good. Xavi and Iniesta, they are the soul of the team. People dont know them as stars but they both are easily in the top 10 of the world.[/b]
And Im a Real Madrid fan BTW, Im just completely amazed by the way Barcelona plays. Every game is a clinic.
Yes, Finally someone i know agrees with me on that. Xavi and Iniesta are so underrated and when you look at the two most successful soccer teams(Spain and Barca) they are such good passing and good flowing teams because of these two. They create and make the life of the attackers so much easier.
the_ raps_analyst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #1388 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Well first, Barcelona has been destroying teams... but none of the 3 major English teams.. so we'll have to wait and see how they do.. even Lyon gave them a pretty good run for a bit.

Henry is a true leader, you can see that back from his days in Arsenal. Him coming to the team was much like Kevin Garnett coming to the Celtics. If you watch all the pre-game shows to the champs league matches... one of Barcelona's weaknesses is their center midfield... really their only weakness. So to say Iniesta and Xavi are better than C.Ronaldo, Messi, Eto'o, Gerrard, Torres, Lampard, Rooney, Kaka, Adebayor, Ribery, Ibrahimovic... not to mention goalkeepers... is pretty extreme. The only reason those guys were even considered on the fifa POY consideration is because the national team is doing well and they had 6 guys in the top 14.

The reason spain is so good is because their whole team is good, David Villa, Torres, Fabregas, Casillas, Puyol etc. etc.

Dude, I respect all opinions but what you are saying doesnt have any sense. Henry like Garnett? Henry was one of my favourite players when he was in Arsenal but he was so bad last year that he didnt start in many games and almost got traded. They lack a center mid fielder?

Of all those players you mentioned the only one that change the game more than them are Cristiano, Messi, kaka and Ibrahimovic. And Cristiano is a cancer so I would not choose him for my team.

Last edited by Belsius; 04-10-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #1389 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ raps_analyst View Post
Yes, Finally someone i know agrees with me on that. Xavi and Iniesta are so underrated and when you look at the two most successful soccer teams(Spain and Barca) they are such good passing and good flowing teams because of these two. They create and make the life of the attackers so much easier.
Barcelona the most successful team? and to Belsius... Iniesta and Xavi better than Gerrard??? are you kidding me? Christiano Ronaldo is a cancer?

This just proves you guys are barcelona/spain homers.

First of all, Manchester United is without a question the most successful team right now. There were 3 English teams in the champions league semi's last year... Manchester United WON out of those teams. They also WON the EPL with those same 3 strong English teams to face. Who does Barcelona face during the year? and they didn't win champs league..

And even though I hate him more than you know... Christiano Ronaldo won World Player of the year. Until someone knocks them out... He is the best player.. and Man United is the team to beat.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #1390 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

Homer? Ummm dont think so. more like objetive.

You are basing your opinion on titles, names and scoring goals instead of actually watching them play wich you clearly havent since you said Henry was their "Garnett". And still, MAnchester was the most succesfull team last year but Barcelona was two years ago.
THIS YEAR, no team is playing like them. And few have in history. And while La Liga right now has lost a step, its still a extremely tough competetion. Real Madrid (I wonder how many Champion Leagues do they have), Villareal, Sevilla, Valencia, Atletico....

Gerrard is arguably as good as Xavi and Iniesta but definetly not this year, not only because of the injury. Cristiano Ronaldo was the best player of the world last year but he is the kind of player you cant trust since his arrogance and personal (not team) ambition will always be in the way.
Right now nobody is even near Messi.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #1391 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,011
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Messi is the best player in the world right now. Bar none. I'd say Kaka is right there as well with Ronaldo living off his dream season still. Great player, but I'd take Messi 10 times outta 10.

As for Henry. Henry was an amazing player in Arsenal. He carried that team to the Champion's League final in 2006 against Barcelona. I've watched Barcelona play, and even though I dislike them, they play an amazing, fluid game. Xavi and Iniesta control the midfield more than any other duo in footy. They're not as flashy as Gerrard etc. but really, I'd take either of those guys on Arsenal. Remove one and I'd argue that Barca comes down a few notches. Henry was terrible last year. He's clearly lost a step and just doesn't fit in with that team.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #1392 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Messi is the best player in the world... and Iniesta/Xavi are the best midfield duo in the world. Eto'o and Henry are probably the best striking pair in the world. And puyol, Marquez and Dani Alves are a solid back line.

I will laugh at you guys when Barce doesnt win the champs league... I think they are overrated because they haven't played any of the top EPL teams. I can't wait til Lampard and Essien destroy Iniesta/Xavi and Ashley Cole will shut down Messi. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #1393 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,011
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Ashley Cole shut down Messi? Hi-Larious

Dude, I hate Barca. Check the thread, but give credit where it's due. They're the best team right now, really the team to beat imo, right after Man U and ugh Liverpool.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #1394 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

LOL if you watched alot of Ashley cole you would know. For alot of the games he has shut down C.ronaldo in portugal v. england and also chelsea v. man united. Cole is extremely fast and very physical.

I agree Barce is the team to beat after man u right now, but if you say they have the best player in the world, the best strikers, and the best midfield duo in the world... and they end up losing to my boys in blue... you are overrating someone.

And as any fan... there is no way u can put xavi or iniesta and trade them for Gerrard on Liverpool and it makes them better. No way in hell.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #1395 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats7 View Post
I will laugh at you guys when Barce doesnt win the champs league... I think they are overrated because they haven't played any of the top EPL teams. I can't wait til Lampard and Essien destroy Iniesta/Xavi and Ashley Cole will shut down Messi. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.
What I find funny is you think soccer works like that. If you were a trully soccer fan you would know winning a tittle that is not a domestic league is as much as about having luck as being a good team. In your opinion one game shows how good a team is. So I supose that means Oporto is better than Man U because they tied at their stadium.
Of the ones I remember, Porto in 2004, Real Madrid in 98, Liverpool in 2005 and Milan in 2007 werent the best teams in the world when they won.

You see how good a team is by the style and level they play. They have beat every oponent by an average of 3 goals in the 3 major competitions.
If they loss to Bayern 5-0, they would still be the best team of the year.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #1396 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,011
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Dude, I've watched a TON of Ashley Cole, again, I'm an Arsenal supporter. I saw him first hand.

And he never shut down C. Ronaldo by himself. Ever. Shutting him down was a team effort. Cole has looked outclassed on many occasions as well as looking great. If we're referring to International play and club play, he has alot of help in the midfield and with other defenders that he soley doesn't have to rely on his abilities.

That's okay though.....whatever.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #1397 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,011
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Oh, btw, Essien and Lampard, defensively, looked fantastic today against a mediocre Bolton squad.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #1398 (permalink)
confused why the raptors are so consistantly inconsistant

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 843
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats7 View Post
Barcelona the most successful team? and to Belsius... Iniesta and Xavi better than Gerrard??? are you kidding me? Christiano Ronaldo is a cancer?

This just proves you guys are barcelona/spain homers.

First of all, Manchester United is without a question the most successful team right now. There were 3 English teams in the champions league semi's last year... Manchester United WON out of those teams. They also WON the EPL with those same 3 strong English teams to face. Who does Barcelona face during the year? and they didn't win champs league..

And even though I hate him more than you know... Christiano Ronaldo won World Player of the year. Until someone knocks them out... He is the best player.. and Man United is the team to beat.
Yes, he won that for what he did last season. This season Messi will easily win it, it will be a landslide. Messi is easily the best in the world right now. You're opinions are wrong and are so biased because you are a hater and cant accept the fact that Barcelona up to this point are the best team.
the_ raps_analyst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #1399 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

I am not basing any of my opinions on one game (if you want to see who does... take a look @ Cladius' post above). Manchester United won the champions league last year... the championship was played between 2 english teams. Man U also won the EPL. This year... Manchester United is back in the Quarters... and they have the reigning world player of the year on their team.

I am not a Barcelona hater at all, I hate Man U and C.Ronaldo so much more (for beating Chelsea and English so much ). But Barcelona is not the best team in the world until they beat one of the top 3 English teams.

Barcelona... when they LOST (they LOST).. last year to Man U.. had your beloved Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol... everyone. Unless you think the addition of Dani Alves makes them a whole new team (which no one has mentioned)... I don't know how you consider them the best in the world when they haven't beaten any of England's top 3.

By the way.. Messi won't get player of the year if Man.U wins the premier league and champs league again.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #1400 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Oh, btw, Essien and Lampard, defensively, looked fantastic today against a mediocre Bolton squad.
you're right actually. They were up 4-0 until lamps and drogba got subbed off.

Good try though.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK has the world gone mad? jeffb NBA Talk 20 07-03-2009 12:15 PM
CB4 at Nash's Soccer Game in NYC Acie Toronto Raptors 5 07-02-2009 01:24 PM
Hockey, Soccer, NCAA Basketball?? Superjudge Toronto Raptors 4 09-17-2008 12:14 PM
Where did my soccer thread go? MikeToronto Toronto Raptors 8 06-25-2008 05:26 PM
If you like soccer... Belsius Other Sports 8 02-12-2008 06:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24