World Soccer Thread - Page 453
Old 01-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #9041 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
I dont watch soccer.

Are these new guys good? Why would they leave better leagues for MLS? Just a money play? Or they feel like coasting a bit and being big fish in a small pond.
yes they're good. They got good money to come here and they will be payed well. The big fish factor that you mention has a lot to do with it i'm sure. It's a combination of those two factors in my opinion. I also think Liewike (and apparently Drake) did a rather great sell job on the city and the situation.

Quite frankly the MLS isn't a shitty league anymore.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #9042 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

stonezz, put it this way: It's quite concievable that Defoe will be one of the best players in the entire league if not the best at the present time. And Bradley is also a very good player who is in the prime of his career.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #9043 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,480
Representing:
Default

Yea I heard Drake had some communication with one of the dudes, I think Bradley. I may have to check out some of the games, the hype is intriguing.
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #9044 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,480
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
stonezz, put it this way: It's quite concievable that Defoe will be one of the best players in the entire league if not the best at the present time. And Bradley is also a very good player who is in the prime of his career.
Wow I didnt realize it was like that
Stonezz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #9045 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

it was defoe that spoke with Drake.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #9046 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,131
Representing:
Default

Fancy you're overhyping Defoe. He's great and will be Much better than what he's shown in the EPL this year in the mls but to say he'd be one of the best if not the best is overdoing it
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #9047 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
Fancy you're overhyping Defoe. He's great and will be Much better than what he's shown in the EPL this year in the mls but to say he'd be one of the best if not the best is overdoing it
First off i said it was concievable. As in one can argue or at least it can be a topic of conversation. I didn't say it was Defoe case closed. Besides who do you think is better? Please inform.

I don't watch MLS outside of TFC, but i have a decent amount of familiarity of the league. The obvious name is Thierry Henry, but at this point in their careers i think i would give the nod to defoe on account of the age difference.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #9048 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,131
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
First off i said it was concievable. As in one can argue or at least it can be a topic of conversation. I didn't say it was Defoe case closed. Besides who do you think is better? Please inform.

I don't watch MLS outside of TFC, but i have a decent amount of familiarity of the league. The obvious name is Thierry Henry, but at this point in their careers i think i would give the nod to defoe on account of the age difference.

I dont know much about the mls but off the top of my head, as you said, henry, but also, donovon and even Bradley. Defoe just isn't all that good. He's selfish in his play and needs way too many shots to score. And at his age you just know his pace, one of his biggest threats, will go very fast, possibly next season. He doesnt have the technique to be nearly as threatening without it.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #9049 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
I dont know much about the mls but off the top of my head, as you said, henry, but also, donovon and even Bradley. Defoe just isn't all that good. He's selfish in his play and needs way too many shots to score. And at his age you just know his pace, one of his biggest threats, will go very fast, possibly next season. He doesnt have the technique to be nearly as threatening without it.
Henry would have been a few years ago, but he's 36 now. donovan is a good player, but has never put up the numbers or been the finisher that Defoe was/is.

the one other name that comes to mind is Keane, but again if i was picking between the two, i take Defoe without question.

The only part of your post that i do agree with is mentioning Bradley in this topic and quite frankly as a TFC fan that makes me giddy.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #9050 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,131
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
Henry would have been a few years ago, but he's 36 now. donovan is a good player, but has never put up the numbers or been the finisher that Defoe was/is.

the one other name that comes to mind is Keane, but again if i was picking between the two, i take Defoe without question.

The only part of your post that i do agree with is mentioning Bradley in this topic and quite frankly as a TFC fan that makes me giddy.
Again, as I said, I don't know much about the MLS so I can't be sure. But I do know a lot about defoe, and he's being hyped up to be something's he's not.


defoe is not a great finisher. that's a myth. look at his career shots scored-taken ratio; it's very low. something around 12 percent I think it was?

he's way too selfish of a player, a lot of times to the detriment of the players and team around him. Even if he scores, he could have cost the team 4-5 scoring chances by being on the pitch at other times. attacks die with him, and given his low conversion rate, he's not that great of an end option to have.

Pace. You disagree with what I said? you think he can maintain his current and career pace levels, much longer? he's in his 30's. that's when players slow down generally. And technically.... he's not known for it, let's say that much.


But maybe for the MLS he'd be amazing. But I think that goes against your point that the MLS isn't all that shitty anymore (or was it someone else's?). If defoe can tear defences apart, then said defences aren't that great. simple as is.


and he's only going to get worse.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #9051 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

You're basing your argument on an assumed drop in form and what's more difficult to get past is your insane bias and one-sidedness when it comes to anything about tottenham. it's like you are defending your team because defoe won't be there anymore and so you're all "good who needs him, spurs will be better because of it." and they may well be fine, but at least call a spade a spade. Not a great finisher my ass. Even despite being glued to the bench this season and playing on their B team he still has 10 goals in 21 games. He's one of the top goal scorers that team has EVER and been a huge player for England as well. He's had and a damn good career which to most anyone still has a good amount of gas left in the tank. and he's 31 not 35. That's not hype dude that's statistical facts.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #9052 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,131
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
You're basing your argument on an assumed drop in form and what's more difficult to get past is your insane bias and one-sidedness when it comes to anything about tottenham. it's like you are defending your team because defoe won't be there anymore and so you're all "good who needs him, spurs will be better because of it." and they may well be fine, but at least call a spade a spade. Not a great finisher my ass. Even despite being glued to the bench this season and playing on their B team he still has 10 goals in 21 games. He's one of the top goal scorers that team has EVER and been a huge player for England as well. He's had and a damn good career which to most anyone still has a good amount of gas left in the tank. and he's 31 not 35. That's not hype dude that's statistical facts.
Oh get off your goddamn high horse and read what I actually said. Great finisher? Please just look at his conversion rate and look who else is there with him.

Then you say bias when Ive not wanted defoe on the team for the past 2 years. I've wanted adebayor to play over him even though he's been such a huge enigma and I've definitely wanted soldado in over him. Hell I want Kane over defoe quite a bit and he's 19!

It's not a bias of tottenham that's making me bitter he's going. Did I ever say bale is shit and we don't need the dude? No! Same goes with modric. I recognize talent. Defoe is not one I want keeping around. The money we're getting for him is more than enough compensation.


Oh and next time instead of getting so aggressive why dont you try to have a normal conversation? Reread the post you quoted. Was it in anyway aggressive? Outlandish?

Fuck.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #9053 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

LOL!
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #9054 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

this is a pretty stupid conversation. You're basically saying defoe is not a good player even though his individual numbers and the general opinion of most other soccer people disagree with you. On top of that you're going on assumptions in thinking he won't succeed for toronto FC. I didn't really think my earlier post was aggressive or outlandish as it was more trying to make sense of your reasoning which you've now made clear in a rather amusing rant.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #9055 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,131
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
this is a pretty stupid conversation. You're basically saying defoe is not a good player even though his individual numbers and the general opinion of most other soccer people disagree with you. On top of that you're going on assumptions in thinking he won't succeed for toronto FC. I didn't really think my earlier post was aggressive or outlandish as it was more trying to make sense of your reasoning which you've now made clear in a rather amusing rant.
I stick by what I said. There's more to soccer than scoring goals, even for a striker. Defoe does nothing but score goals every now and then, and this comes at a cost to the team.

defoe is a "chucker" of football. shoots, and shoots, and shoots, until he brings up decent looking stats. Only difference is, apparantly, people don't look at conversion rate in football, whereas in basketball, people have gone past FG% and onto more advanced stats like EFG and all the other shenanigens they've come up with.

you don't want to believe me? sure, don't. But it'd be stupid not to trust a viewpoint of an individual who's watched defoe a hell of a lot more than you.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #9056 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

let's just leave it at we'll see how he does.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #9057 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,131
Representing:
Default

Spurs secretly on a roll


Big test this weekend for lil old Timmy. He's beaten teams he should be comfortably for now, for the most part, with a lot of our guys still injured. How can he cope with the beast that is city? Will he go 4-4-2 with bentaleb as one of the cms and thus getting thrashed again? Or will we pack the midfield and look to counter against what is virtually guaranteed a city team which will have a lot of possession?

Time will tell
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #9058 (permalink)
LOG
Is sick and tired of Casey

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,445
Representing:
Default

uhmm so will Toronto FC be any good now?
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #9059 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

JESE
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #9060 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

well that was quite the derby!

Stevie can still turn it up when it matters. Come to think of it anytime there's a big game he takes it up a notch. Loved it when the camera would show the bitter fans in their corner looking glummer than glum. same with every shot of Martinez just stewing in his quiet pent up rage. Oh what a derby.

Last edited by fancylad; 01-28-2014 at 10:08 PM.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK has the world gone mad? jeffb NBA Talk 20 07-03-2009 12:15 PM
CB4 at Nash's Soccer Game in NYC Acie Toronto Raptors 5 07-02-2009 01:24 PM
Hockey, Soccer, NCAA Basketball?? Superjudge Toronto Raptors 4 09-17-2008 12:14 PM
Where did my soccer thread go? MikeToronto Toronto Raptors 8 06-25-2008 05:26 PM
If you like soccer... Belsius Other Sports 8 02-12-2008 06:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24