World Soccer Thread - Page 436
Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #8701 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

i watched arsenal v fener in the week and watching them against fulham now. Just wanted to see if they really were in trouble. They aren't. Played great against fener, looking really good against fulham. Their counter-attacks look so dangerous, walcott is finally living up to his potential, much more decisive.

their defence looks shaky, it always does, but then so does liverpool's and spurs'. Arsenal's advantage is that they have experience, they all know what wenger wants. Rodgers and boas are still looking to establish their tactics. Battle for 4th is gonna be fascinating.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #8702 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Spurs have the upper hand for 4th.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Willian. Apparently if Willian goes to Chelsea then Mata might not be a starter and due to that Arsenal might make an offer for Mata and Atletico are interested in a season-long loan.

Also:

BBC Sport - Gareth Bale: Real Madrid give Spurs two bid options for winger

I think the second option might make more sense given the money spent via transfers vs the money made from transfers (thus far of course) this summer. Not to mention the 2nd option can include probably Coentrao. Also, I think the money over a period of time is like a tease.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #8703 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
i watched arsenal v fener in the week and watching them against fulham now. Just wanted to see if they really were in trouble. They aren't. Played great against fener, looking really good against fulham. Their counter-attacks look so dangerous, walcott is finally living up to his potential, much more decisive.

their defence looks shaky, it always does, but then so does liverpool's and spurs'. Arsenal's advantage is that they have experience, they all know what wenger wants. Rodgers and boas are still looking to establish their tactics. Battle for 4th is gonna be fascinating.
The thing is Arsenal is seriously lacking depth. They brought in 1 new player and sold a few and also loaned out a few too. They have an insane makeshift D at the moment. I think it'll be hard for Arsenal to get 4th this season and I think it will be better if they don't as they need a change or a shakeup.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #8704 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
The thing is Arsenal is seriously lacking depth. They brought in 1 new player and sold a few and also loaned out a few too. They have an insane makeshift D at the moment. I think it'll be hard for Arsenal to get 4th this season and I think it will be better if they don't as they need a change or a shakeup.
i don't agree. Wenger is a great manager. He's far from perfect but no manager is perfect and i certainly include fergie in that. Fergie's transfer record is so far from perfect it's not funny but he got away with it by keeping that winning mentality in his teams and the mega-rich teams like chelsea and city thinking it was as simple as buying 22 great players.

they easily beat fulham without 4 first-team regulars (koscielny, arteta, chamberlain, diaby.) They need to buy 3 players, a defender, defensive mid and striker, which they have money to do. They may not get it done before sept.2 but i know they'll be strong, not banking on them struggling.

Teams like arsenal, lfc, spurs shouldn't be looking to have 2 top players for every position like the rich teams, it's not practical money wise and it's been shown to ruin harmony, certainly in the case of city, and chelsea in past seasons.

i'm really happy with the depth at lfc. a bench of Cissokho, Wisdom, Alberto, Allen, Sterling, Borini may not sound amazing but they're all good young players with something to prove. I just want to sell suarez and buy 1, maybe 2 top class replacements.

spurs also have good depth, they just need to get rid of defoe and adebayor and buy another top class striker for competition with soldado.

there's always similarities to be drawn with other sports. spurs, lfc, arsenal should be doing "an indiana." young, hungry players. Seems spurs want to join the big boys and buy marquee players, maybe it's just a one-off. I'm happy for lfc to look for bargains with maybe one expensive signing here and there, esp if we sell suarez.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #8705 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
i don't agree. Wenger is a great manager. He's far from perfect but no manager is perfect and i certainly include fergie in that. Fergie's transfer record is so far from perfect it's not funny but he got away with it by keeping that winning mentality in his teams and the mega-rich teams like chelsea and city thinking it was as simple as buying 22 great players.

they easily beat fulham without 4 first-team regulars (koscielny, arteta, chamberlain, diaby.) They need to buy 3 players, a defender, defensive mid and striker, which they have money to do. They may not get it done before sept.2 but i know they'll be strong, not banking on them struggling.

Teams like arsenal, lfc, spurs shouldn't be looking to have 2 top players for every position like the rich teams, it's not practical money wise and it's been shown to ruin harmony, certainly in the case of city, and chelsea in past seasons.

i'm really happy with the depth at lfc. a bench of Cissokho, Wisdom, Alberto, Allen, Sterling, Borini may not sound amazing but they're all good young players with something to prove. I just want to sell suarez and buy 1, maybe 2 top class replacements.

spurs also have good depth, they just need to get rid of defoe and adebayor and buy another top class striker for competition with soldado.

there's always similarities to be drawn with other sports. spurs, lfc, arsenal should be doing "an indiana." young, hungry players. Seems spurs want to join the big boys and buy marquee players, maybe it's just a one-off. I'm happy for lfc to look for bargains with maybe one expensive signing here and there, esp if we sell suarez.
Except the ironic thing is - Arsenal is a mega-rich team. They just choose not to spend. Arsenal need to go back to where they were before and not just 4th place as the benchmark. Arsenal didn't even keep youngsters like Miquel. Idk if I were an Arsenal fan I'd want my team to show some direction in returning to where it was.

You say teams like Spurs don't need two top players for every position but you say they need another top striker to compete with Soldado. Also, I don't see Liverpool getting 4th. I think 4th is Spurs' to lose honestly.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #8706 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Except the ironic thing is - Arsenal is a mega-rich team. They just choose not to spend. Arsenal need to go back to where they were before and not just 4th place as the benchmark. Arsenal didn't even keep youngsters like Miquel. Idk if I were an Arsenal fan I'd want my team to show some direction in returning to where it was.

You say teams like Spurs don't need two top players for every position but you say they need another top striker to compete with Soldado. Also, I don't see Liverpool getting 4th. I think 4th is Spurs' to lose honestly.
i do agree that arsenal need to spend their money. And i did say wenger isn't perfect and maybe one of his failings (like my favourite manager rafa,) is stubbornness. He's had chances to sign players, but then the selling team asks for an extra few million, or the agent asks for an extra 20k wages, or the player shows some kind of personality issue. Both of these could upset player harmony. Say what you want about arsenal but they always have good spirit, they always seem to be buying into wenger's philosophy.

come on mate, don't nit-pick with me, when i said 2 players for every position, that doesn't really include strikers does it? obviously. I meant you don't need 2 right-backs, or 2 left-wingers. But when it comes to center-backs, you need 4 don't you, coz there's 2 of them. So really you need maybe 3 good players you can rely on and 1 youngster, or even just the 2 starters and 2 good youngsters, if you know you can rely on them.

same with strikers. Sometimes you may want to play 2 up front, so you need 2 good strikers, maybe 1 good youngster and often one of your wide players or attacking mids can fill in up front. another way to look at it; the fashion right now is to have an attacking 4, the 2 wide players an attacking mid and a striker. i'd say you need to have 4 top-class players there and 4 guys you know will be ok with playing less games, usually young players. guys like sterling, and spurs have townsend. Also teams like liverpool rely a bit on versatility, so someone like henderson could be moved further up to fill in. Man city have EIGHT top players to cover that 4! That's what i'm talking about, it's a different world.

yep, i would have liverpool as 3rd favourites for 4th, behind spurs and arsenal. I can see why others think that. I'm really happy with our manager and squad, would love one more class addition. Whatever happens, i'm pretty sure we're gonna have a good season and i'll be happy with our efforts.

Last edited by LKeet6; 08-26-2013 at 03:48 AM.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #8707 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

i know, i'm kind of obsessed with arsenal right now! but they are a very interesting team right now:

Arsene Wenger blames media for "brainwashing" Arsenal fans into thinking there is a crisis at the Emirates - Mirror Online

i agree with wenger 100% on this. People are SO short-termist these days.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #8708 (permalink)
from Italy

Senior Member
 
shenmui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pescara, Italy
Posts: 522
Representing:
Default

Higuain after slipping on a rock on Napoli beach






Not funny since I paid 141 credits in my fantasoccer league to get his services :cookie:

Last edited by shenmui; 08-27-2013 at 08:35 AM.
shenmui is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #8709 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
i do agree that arsenal need to spend their money. And i did say wenger isn't perfect and maybe one of his failings (like my favourite manager rafa,) is stubbornness. He's had chances to sign players, but then the selling team asks for an extra few million, or the agent asks for an extra 20k wages, or the player shows some kind of personality issue. Both of these could upset player harmony. Say what you want about arsenal but they always have good spirit, they always seem to be buying into wenger's philosophy.

come on mate, don't nit-pick with me, when i said 2 players for every position, that doesn't really include strikers does it? obviously. I meant you don't need 2 right-backs, or 2 left-wingers. But when it comes to center-backs, you need 4 don't you, coz there's 2 of them. So really you need maybe 3 good players you can rely on and 1 youngster, or even just the 2 starters and 2 good youngsters, if you know you can rely on them.

same with strikers. Sometimes you may want to play 2 up front, so you need 2 good strikers, maybe 1 good youngster and often one of your wide players or attacking mids can fill in up front. another way to look at it; the fashion right now is to have an attacking 4, the 2 wide players an attacking mid and a striker. i'd say you need to have 4 top-class players there and 4 guys you know will be ok with playing less games, usually young players. guys like sterling, and spurs have townsend. Also teams like liverpool rely a bit on versatility, so someone like henderson could be moved further up to fill in. Man city have EIGHT top players to cover that 4! That's what i'm talking about, it's a different world.

yep, i would have liverpool as 3rd favourites for 4th, behind spurs and arsenal. I can see why others think that. I'm really happy with our manager and squad, would love one more class addition. Whatever happens, i'm pretty sure we're gonna have a good season and i'll be happy with our efforts.
I'm just saying that if Arsenal are going to make a leap something has to happen.

Ok but Spurs don't need another top striker is what I'm saying. Spurs don't play with 2 CF/STs. Many "top" teams are also playing with less top CF/STs.

Well I agree that City have an influx of CF/STs - Jovetic, Dzeko, Aguero and and Negredo but they also start two of them. I'm just saying a lot of players have left Arsenal:

In
Yaya Sanogo (Auxerre) Free Full Story
Park
the Dane (although he may leave)

Out

Wellington Silva(loan-Murcia)
Andrey Arshavin (Zenit St Petersberg) Free
Francis Coquelin (Freiburg) Loan
Denilson (Sao Paulo) Free
Johan Djourou (Hamburg) Loan
Craig Eastmond (Colchester United) Free
Kyle Ebecilio (Twente) Free
Vito Mannone (Sunderland) Undisclosed
Sebastien Squillaci Released
Sanchez Watt (Colchester United) Free
Jordan Wynter (Bristol City) Free
Jernade Meade (Swansea City) Free
Andre Santos (Flamengo) Undisclosed
Gervinho (Roma) Undisclosed
Marouane Chamakh (Crystal Palace) Undisclosed
Joel Campbell (Olympiacos-Loan)
I.Miquel (loan-Leicester City)

And that's missing 1-4 (super-fringe) players more
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #8710 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Banned
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,952
Representing:
Default

Chelsea vs Man U...doesn't get any better than this
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #8711 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

It will be interesting to see where Mata will go. Arsenal and Spurs are interested. Atletico want him on loan. I think Atletico would kind of make sense. Chelsea already have good relations with Atletico and I don't think they'd want to sell him to a city rival. That being said I'd imagine Chelsea would want to get a nice amount of cash for him.

I'll be sad if/when one or both of Ozil and Angel leave for an unnecessary and ridiculously expensive signing who won't score even half of the goals the player scored last term (in league play) and will have to put up at least 9 assists in the season (in league play). Not to mention the player will have to be used to not being the man and will have to actively defend and track back on the side of the field that is not his preferred.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #8712 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,001
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
i know, i'm kind of obsessed with arsenal right now! but they are a very interesting team right now:

Arsene Wenger blames media for "brainwashing" Arsenal fans into thinking there is a crisis at the Emirates - Mirror Online

i agree with wenger 100% on this. People are SO short-termist these days.
I agree do Wenger is doing a fine job. Empty trophy cases and value transfers are a great thing.

Screw full trophy cases its all about being profitable with value transfers.



Screw Higuain he is a chump and too expensive.

I love reading GUnner message boards. They all think they will have the invincibles every year.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #8713 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,001
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmui View Post
Higuain after slipping on a rock on Napoli beach






Not funny since I paid 141 credits in my fantasoccer league to get his services :cookie:
De Laurentiis wants to sue the region 100 m euro's for that slip lol
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #8714 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
I agree do Wenger is doing a fine job. Empty trophy cases and value transfers are a great thing.

Screw full trophy cases its all about being profitable with value transfers.



Screw Higuain he is a chump and too expensive.

I love reading GUnner message boards. They all think they will have the invincibles every year.
winning the league was pretty much impossible for them, with chelsea and city spending MASSIVELY more than them and utd spending quite a lot more than them, whilst having to pay off massive bills for their new stadium. Yes, yes, they have money and haven't spent it yet, they've also won 3 out 4 matches. They've also qualified for the CL 15 years in a row.

i don't know which arsenal forums you've been in, but people have been pretty negative about wenger and their team for about 3 years now! They moan like you are. They don't realise that they have been given an amazing stadium (bloody quiet tho!) and champs league football every year. As fans go, they're pretty damn lucky.

and winning the league cup or FA cup is nice, but the reality is, and personally i don't agree with this, that CL qualification is way important than winning one of those. Ask spurs or liverpool which they'd rather.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #8715 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
winning the league was pretty much impossible for them, with chelsea and city spending MASSIVELY more than them and utd spending quite a lot more than them, whilst having to pay off massive bills for their new stadium. Yes, yes, they have money and haven't spent it yet, they've also won 3 out 4 matches. They've also qualified for the CL 15 years in a row.

i don't know which arsenal forums you've been in, but people have been pretty negative about wenger and their team for about 3 years now! They moan like you are. They don't realise that they have been given an amazing stadium (bloody quiet tho!) and champs league football every year. As fans go, they're pretty damn lucky.

and winning the league cup or FA cup is nice, but the reality is, and personally i don't agree with this, that CL qualification is way important than winning one of those. Ask spurs or liverpool which they'd rather.
The league cup isn't a real competition.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #8716 (permalink)
from Italy

Senior Member
 
shenmui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pescara, Italy
Posts: 522
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
De Laurentiis wants to sue the region 100 m euro's for that slip lol
And I want 100M for each time I spent in my life watching his own dumb Christmas movies. I think it's fair.
shenmui is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #8717 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
The league cup isn't a real competition.
right, so you're basically saying they should've either won the league, despite city, chelsea and utd, or beat probably the best team of the last 20 years to win the champs league!? (as well as beating some other outstanding teams to get there.)

and it was a fairly minor point anyway, i mean there was a lot of other stuff in there.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #8718 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

BBC Sport - Gareth Bale: Tottenham consider fining Real Madrid target

wouldn't have had bale down to be that kind of guy, but that's modern football for ya.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #8719 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
right, so you're basically saying they should've either won the league, despite city, chelsea and utd, or beat probably the best team of the last 20 years to win the champs league!? (as well as beating some other outstanding teams to get there.)

and it was a fairly minor point anyway, i mean there was a lot of other stuff in there.
Just saying that the league cup is a 4th competition and is more of a marketing tool and a way to promote publicity and give some cash to some 4th division sides and more 3rd division sides. And - Arsenal couldn't even win that in Cesc's final year.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #8720 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Real Sociedad - that is all.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK has the world gone mad? jeffb NBA Talk 20 07-03-2009 12:15 PM
CB4 at Nash's Soccer Game in NYC Acie Toronto Raptors 5 07-02-2009 01:24 PM
Hockey, Soccer, NCAA Basketball?? Superjudge Toronto Raptors 4 09-17-2008 12:14 PM
Where did my soccer thread go? MikeToronto Toronto Raptors 8 06-25-2008 05:26 PM
If you like soccer... Belsius Other Sports 8 02-12-2008 06:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24