World Soccer Thread - Page 432
Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #8621 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
huh? I'm not defending Suarez! I hope he rots once he gets to another team.
Oh I know I was just saying is all. That's why I definitely don't want Suarez at Real - his issues.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #8622 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,003
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
this whole Suarez thing makes me sick. I get that loyalty isn't part of sports anymore. the reasonable and rational thinker in me gets that players are only in it for themselves (especially imports who are far removed from the culture of a team and its fans), but nevertheless this Suarez fiasco really makes me mad. Sounds to me like Liverpool is going to play hardball with him which is good.
my dad is like you, so frustrated, just wants it over. i've just learned to switch myself off mate! Bit depressing, coz it kind of makes me care less. I'll always be 100% committed to LFC, but i don't love the game like i used to.

as you said tho, we've really played hardball, which i like, i like rodgers' style of managing this team and its players.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #8623 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,973
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
right, ok, fair enough. You did say you were thinking he could create a legacy at the club.
you're right, my original post was a bit misleading.
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #8624 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
my dad is like you, so frustrated, just wants it over. i've just learned to switch myself off mate! Bit depressing, coz it kind of makes me care less. I'll always be 100% committed to LFC, but i don't love the game like i used to.

as you said tho, we've really played hardball, which i like, i like rodgers' style of managing this team and its players.
i hear you. the last few years have been pretty terrible to watch and the team has taken a bunch of steps backwards especially with the constant changes in management. well i actually think things are pretty much back on track to righting the ship (last bunch of transfers have been home runs - Aspas looks the business) and now this biting cheat is messing it all up again. He owes everyone one more year to just shut up and play, but of course because he's proven himself to be a massive twat i won't get my hopes up.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #8625 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,003
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
i hear you. the last few years have been pretty terrible to watch and the team has taken a bunch of steps backwards especially with the constant changes in management. well i actually think things are pretty much back on track to righting the ship (last bunch of transfers have been home runs - Aspas looks the business) and now this biting cheat is messing it all up again. He owes everyone one more year to just shut up and play, but of course because he's proven himself to be a massive twat i won't get my hopes up.
agreed. My feelings for football haven't really been affected by LFC struggling tho, i just hate how the game has changed. SKY tv pumping money into the game coupled with almost ZERO financial regulation did that! And satellite/cable tv in countries like italy and spain did the same. The early to mid 90s was fine, just a few expensive foreign players coming in and improving the league. But by the late 90s things were already badly out of control.

anyway, LFC now, yep, very happy with the summer transfers. Aspas looks really good. Coutinho is amazing! (obv that was a jan purchase.) If we sell suarez for 50mill, this has been an excellent window. We can break even after buying a couple more in (papadopolous and costa maybe,) but the squad will have improved massively. After that, happy for us to keep doing smart transfers in the 10-15mill range.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #8626 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,003
Representing:
Default

Outcast Luis Suárez is told to train away from Liverpool squad | Football | The Guardian

Suarez made to train on his own; strong response by rodgers.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #8627 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
Outcast Luis Suárez is told to train away from Liverpool squad | Football | The Guardian

Suarez made to train on his own; strong response by rodgers.
Love it.

More i read about the more it doesn't look like Suarez will get his wish (i think i saw a quote from Wenger admitting as much). It will be Tevez all over again which is fine by me. Now it's on Suarez to suck it up and be a professional.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #8628 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #8629 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,003
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
haha, very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
Love it.

More i read about the more it doesn't look like Suarez will get his wish (i think i saw a quote from Wenger admitting as much). It will be Tevez all over again which is fine by me. Now it's on Suarez to suck it up and be a professional.
agreed mate. Just said same to my dad; don't think arsenal will go higher, not sure real will come in, think he'll still be here end of aug! Maybe fsg will panic and try and make something happen? hope not, rodgers has been excellent throughout this. Doubt he'll play for us, maybe be on the bench and appear in some cup games? dunno. Hopefully teams will realise we are serious if he hasn't gone by end of window and the january market will keep his price up. He won't be cup-tied for europe either, which helps.

in the past i would feel ashamed that this sort of thing was happening at my club, but i've come to accept in the last few years that it's the players who have ALL the power now, very little clubs can do. We bought a good player, we got burned, nothing we can do, except insist on getting a fair price of course!
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #8630 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

If Suarez is unhappy or doesn't play it will diminish his value. Arsenal are putting in a pretty good bid.It would b good if things r resolved soon instead of having it linger over a club 4 a season.

It wasn't a legit game but Real beat Chelsea.

On another note apparently CR7, Iker, Ramos + Coentrao aren't too happy about the pursuit of Bale saying things like that much for 1 player and what about us? Fiorentino also said that 100 millions is 2 much for Bale. I'm glad those 4 players aren't liking the pursuit.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #8631 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,003
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post

agreed mate. Just said same to my dad; don't think arsenal will go higher, not sure real will come in, think he'll still be here end of aug! Maybe fsg will panic and try and make something happen? hope not, rodgers has been excellent throughout this.
looks like they're not panicking!

Luis Suárez is going nowhere, says Liverpool's owner John W Henry | Football | The Guardian
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #8632 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,003
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
If Suarez is unhappy or doesn't play it will diminish his value. Arsenal are putting in a pretty good bid.It would b good if things r resolved soon instead of having it linger over a club 4 a season.

It wasn't a legit game but Real beat Chelsea.

On another note apparently CR7, Iker, Ramos + Coentrao aren't too happy about the pursuit of Bale saying things like that much for 1 player and what about us? Fiorentino also said that 100 millions is 2 much for Bale. I'm glad those 4 players aren't liking the pursuit.
he has a long contract, his value shouldn't diminish too much by january. can see a team that is struggling going for him in jan. eg if arsenal or real aren't doing as well as expected, or another CL team that isn't.

plus, i'm just happy at us taking a moral stance on it. Sick of player power.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #8633 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
he has a long contract, his value shouldn't diminish too much by january. can see a team that is struggling going for him in jan. eg if arsenal or real aren't doing as well as expected, or another CL team that isn't.

plus, i'm just happy at us taking a moral stance on it. Sick of player power.
It will still diminish. The thing is, you can't hold a player against his will. For example, Tottenham’s non-executive director Sir Keith Mills said "we can't force bale to stay". Player power is alive and present - Re: Cesc.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #8634 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,003
Representing:
Default

Yeah, player power rules. Just saying i'm glad we're fighting it. The bale thing hasn't really gone bad coz he's an ok guy and real are prepared to pay a completely ridiculous fee for him! I would accept 100mill and a good young player for ANY player in the world! And that includes messi! You can buy an awesome player for 50mill and you'd still have your young player AND 50mill!? Amazing deal.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #8635 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
Yeah, player power rules. Just saying i'm glad we're fighting it. The bale thing hasn't really gone bad coz he's an ok guy and real are prepared to pay a completely ridiculous fee for him! I would accept 100mill and a good young player for ANY player in the world! And that includes messi! You can buy an awesome player for 50mill and you'd still have your young player AND 50mill!? Amazing deal.
Fair enough. Now I'm not so sure considering what Perez has said and what Iker, Ramos, CR7 and Coentrao have said. The thing that bothers me besides the giant fee and the player obviously not worth the fee-it's an unnecessary buy. There's so much depth already it's not even funny. CR7,Ozil and DiMaria-what more can you ask of 2 wingers and a CAM. Not to mention Isco who might beat out DiMaria for a starting spot. This isn't mentioning Modric who can play CAM if need be and one of my most disliked players-Kaka. Jese - the gem of Real is most likely going to be loaned out to Malaga. Even though I'd hate to see him go-he'll come back and Kaka will be sold next summer as his value(rock bottom) will still be @ rock bottom but a little better as he expires in 2015.

And yes-Good players can be bought without the appeal of UCL. Money speaks. Also-Fiorentina-they don't have UCL but have improved their team despite losing Jovetic. Smart transfers.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #8636 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
It will still diminish. The thing is, you can't hold a player against his will. For example, Tottenham’s non-executive director Sir Keith Mills said "we can't force bale to stay". Player power is alive and present - Re: Cesc.
It's not diminishing because of the team's reluctance to sell... it's diminishing because he's a headcase on top of a biting jackass!

Look this is tevez all over again. All he needs to do is be a professional and play when his suspension is up and score goals/help team win. He does this which he is capable of doing then both sides win. Last thing Liverpool should do is send him to a team with whom they are directly competing for a champs league spot for. That would be the worst decision and thankfully they won't do this.

You say you can't hold a player against his will and i say any self respecting team can't let a player hold them hostage.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #8637 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

woah i just caught some of John Henry's statement and it's GOOD. My respect for FSG has just gone up. a lot.

Sense of pride being returned to club.

Quote:
"We are not going to sell Luis," said Henry, on a brief visit to Liverpool. "For all the top clubs it's extremely important [not to sell to a rival] but especially for Liverpool because we're not in Europe this year and have not been in the Champions League for a while. To sell to a rival for those positions, or one of them, would be ludicrous. Liverpool needs to be playing in Europe. It needs to be playing in the Champions League. That's what Liverpool football club is about."

"I'm unequivocal that we won't sell to Arsenal, whatever the bid is," he said. "I have not said it to Stan [Kroenke, Arsenal's majority shareholder] but I had a personal conversation with others at Arsenal and told him [Gazidis] we would not sell to Arsenal." "He won't be sold even if a foreign club comes in because we do not have time to sign a suitable replacement," he said. "It's a football reason. It's not about finances. That's why at this point, so late in the window, with everyone who's already moved or isn't moving, we can't replace him. So for football reasons we can't sell, and especially to Arsenal."
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #8638 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
It's not diminishing because of the team's reluctance to sell... it's diminishing because he's a headcase on top of a biting jackass!

Look this is tevez all over again. All he needs to do is be a professional and play when his suspension is up and score goals/help team win. He does this which he is capable of doing then both sides win. Last thing Liverpool should do is send him to a team with whom they are directly competing for a champs league spot for. That would be the worst decision and thankfully they won't do this.

You say you can't hold a player against his will and i say any self respecting team can't let a player hold them hostage.
He has issues yes but as the year goes on that's less time on a contract-not lot but time nonetheless. He'll also be disgruntled which is never good and negative media will follow the team and suarez around. Cesc wanted 2 go 2 Barca+ Barca paid a fee which was much below his evaluation but Arsenal weren't going to force a player who didn't want to play there to stay. Also- it's not like compensation isn't being given. 40 million pounds is a lot of dough to use. Player power is bad but it's inevitable unfortunately.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #8639 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,973
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
Yeah, player power rules. Just saying i'm glad we're fighting it. The bale thing hasn't really gone bad coz he's an ok guy and real are prepared to pay a completely ridiculous fee for him! I would accept 100mill and a good young player for ANY player in the world! And that includes messi! You can buy an awesome player for 50mill and you'd still have your young player AND 50mill!? Amazing deal.
except they aren't. news media fabricate bids, but none of them actually happen. if real were to actually offer the rumoured amounts, plus the players, we would have taken it earlier in the period. They didn't because they know that he isn't worth 100 million, or w/e the figure plus players. As well, I don't even think they could afford to put up another 100 million pounds, up front, or the maj of it up front, on top of their already ludicrous spending done this off season.

regardless it's all moot. this late in the transfer season we're not selling. You say you're not going to cave cause suarez is being a baby. well why would we cave when bale has shown absolutely nothing of the sort to want to leave? he's actually only shown ambition for the club. Spurs are onto big things next season with our signings. it's been a wet dream for all spurs fans come true. paulinho, soldado, chadli? with a probable vlad CB (similar to vert, except right footed) and a probable epoue (not sure if that's how you spell it) from toulouse? Big things ahead, and Bale sees that.

AND THIS IS ALL WITH A STADIUM AS BIG AS A LOWER-MID TABLE TEAM


pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #8640 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
except they aren't. news media fabricate bids, but none of them actually happen. if real were to actually offer the rumoured amounts, plus the players, we would have taken it earlier in the period. They didn't because they know that he isn't worth 100 million, or w/e the figure plus players. As well, I don't even think they could afford to put up another 100 million pounds, up front, or the maj of it up front, on top of their already ludicrous spending done this off season.

regardless it's all moot. this late in the transfer season we're not selling. You say you're not going to cave cause suarez is being a baby. well why would we cave when bale has shown absolutely nothing of the sort to want to leave? he's actually only shown ambition for the club. Spurs are onto big things next season with our signings. it's been a wet dream for all spurs fans come true. paulinho, soldado, chadli? with a probable vlad CB (similar to vert, except right footed) and a probable epoue (not sure if that's how you spell it) from toulouse? Big things ahead, and Bale sees that.

AND THIS IS ALL WITH A STADIUM AS BIG AS A LOWER-MID TABLE TEAM


Real sold 3 players getting 59 million euros. Real bought 4 players for 81.4 million euros or 76.4 million considering Carvajal was a buyback. So-17.4 million to 22.4 million euros in net transfer spending. Tell me- how many players have Tottenham sold in the transfer season and for what total cost compared to how much Spurs have spent....... Exactly

LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK has the world gone mad? jeffb NBA Talk 20 07-03-2009 01:15 PM
CB4 at Nash's Soccer Game in NYC Acie Toronto Raptors 5 07-02-2009 02:24 PM
Hockey, Soccer, NCAA Basketball?? Superjudge Toronto Raptors 4 09-17-2008 01:14 PM
Where did my soccer thread go? MikeToronto Toronto Raptors 8 06-25-2008 06:26 PM
If you like soccer... Belsius Other Sports 8 02-12-2008 07:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24