World Soccer Thread - Page 395
Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #7881 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
I think chelsea will want falcao, and are really the only club who can pay the fee in the premier league who need a striker. falcao to chelsea, and higuain to spurs is unlikely, but possible. especially since they want bale so damn bad and we have that partnership they'll want to be on our good side making negotiations easier. I wouldn't mind either soldado or negredo, but negredo can disappear at times, like defoe. but when he's producing he's immaculate
Highly doubt Gonzalo will go to Spurs. Soldado has experience in the UCL (16 goals and 2 assists in 26 UCL games (only 3 of those 26 games he came off the bench)). Negredo has only played one campaign in the UCL. However, Negredo would be a lot cheaper.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #7882 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,017
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Highly doubt Gonzalo will go to Spurs. Soldado has experience in the UCL (16 goals and 2 assists in 26 UCL games (only 3 of those 26 games he came off the bench)). Negredo has only played one campaign in the UCL. However, Negredo would be a lot cheaper.
if we manage to get third, and bale stays, why not? AVB is an excellent manager and gonzalo knows this. also at spurs he'd be guaranteed a starting spot, something which irks him at madrid, and he can't be assured with the likes of chavs and city cause they'll go out and buy 3 more strikers along side him, put them in a ring of fire, and say fight it out.
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #7883 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
if we manage to get third, and bale stays, why not? AVB is an excellent manager and gonzalo knows this. also at spurs he'd be guaranteed a starting spot, something which irks him at madrid, and he can't be assured with the likes of chavs and city cause they'll go out and buy 3 more strikers along side him, put them in a ring of fire, and say fight it out.
Idk man. I just don't see Gonzalo playing at Spurs. I think he'd actually make a lot of sense at City. They're already thinking of getting rid of Tevez and Dzeko. Gonzalo and Kun are teammates on Argentina. It's not impossible if Cavani and Falcao already were to go somewhere else.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #7884 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,017
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Idk man. I just don't see Gonzalo playing at Spurs. I think he'd actually make a lot of sense at City. They're already thinking of getting rid of Tevez and Dzeko. Gonzalo and Kun are teammates on Argentina. It's not impossible if Cavani and Falcao already were to go somewhere else.
sure. it really depends more on player movement than most transfers do. I said it was unlikely, but in the realm of possibility. if higuain does come to spurs, or soldado (note I excluded negredo) spurs could be title contenders next season, especially since one of our first choice CB's will be back and sandro arguably the best destroyer in the epl will be back too. and this is all NOT considering player improvement on the parts of holtby, siggurdson, vertonghen, walker, etc.

spurs are a very very promising side in terms of the future right now, which is why, although unlikely, and depending on many factors, it's possbile gonzalo will consider us. imagine if he's the absolute starting number 9 on a first or second place epl team with a decent run in the CL? who wouldn't want that?
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #7885 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
sure. it really depends more on player movement than most transfers do. I said it was unlikely, but in the realm of possibility. if higuain does come to spurs, or soldado (note I excluded negredo) spurs could be title contenders next season, especially since one of our first choice CB's will be back and sandro arguably the best destroyer in the epl will be back too. and this is all NOT considering player improvement on the parts of holtby, siggurdson, vertonghen, walker, etc.

spurs are a very very promising side in terms of the future right now, which is why, although unlikely, and depending on many factors, it's possbile gonzalo will consider us. imagine if he's the absolute starting number 9 on a first or second place epl team with a decent run in the CL? who wouldn't want that?
Fair enough, however there is no guarantee Spurs are 1st or 2nd next season in the BPL. I still say City and United have 1 + 2 locked up for the foreseeable future.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #7886 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,017
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Fair enough, however there is no guarantee Spurs are 1st or 2nd next season in the BPL. I still say City and United have 1 + 2 locked up for the foreseeable future.
we're not that far off from city this season, let alone next. this season we've had a defoe and ade as a strike force. and not a good ade. with a good striker to get on the ends of all the passes/crosses/deliveries our team makes we'd score even more than we have. and bale wouldn't be triple teamed because there'd be another goal threat on the pitch in the good striker. with a good striker, it's quite possible for us to be title contenders next season, especially with AVB at the helm
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #7887 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
we're not that far off from city this season, let alone next. this season we've had a defoe and ade as a strike force. and not a good ade. with a good striker to get on the ends of all the passes/crosses/deliveries our team makes we'd score even more than we have. and bale wouldn't be triple teamed because there'd be another goal threat on the pitch in the good striker. with a good striker, it's quite possible for us to be title contenders next season, especially with AVB at the helm
Ok but other squads aren't just going to sit by and do nothing.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #7888 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,017
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Ok but other squads aren't just going to sit by and do nothing.
we shall see friend, just you wait. with levy/avb duo at the helm, CL finals may even be possible


pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #7889 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Ok but other squads aren't just going to sit by and do nothing.
Arsenal has done nothing for years
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #7890 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
we shall see friend, just you wait. with levy/avb duo at the helm, CL finals may even be possible


glad you put the cookie
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #7891 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Arsenal has done nothing for years
ouch. but what are you talking about, their ability to buy and then sell players for a much higher price is admirable.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #7892 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
ouch. but what are you talking about, their ability to buy and then sell players for a much higher price is admirable.
they haven't improved their team with transfers.

sold their 4 best players in the last 2 years, RVP, Song, Cesc and Nasri. Which quality players have they replaced them with other than Cazorla or possibly Podolski?

I like how they rob Barca every time (Hleb, Henry, Fabregas and Song). Got much more than they should have.

Last edited by Windex; 03-11-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #7893 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
they haven't improved their team with transfers.

sold their 4 best players in the last 2 years, RVP, Song, Cesc and Nasri. Which quality players have they replaced them with other than Cazorla or possibly Podolski?

I like how they rob Barca every time (Hleb, Henry, Fabregas and Song). Got much more than they should have.
Fair enough but they know how to work the market.

Fabregas - they could've and should've got a lot more for him. I heard that Real Madrid were willing to offer I think it was 80 million dollars American or 80 million euros. Too bad Cesc is Barca born and bred. I would've loved Cesc at Real. My favourite player on Barca and one of my favourite players in general.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #7894 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,017
Representing:
Default

i'm sorry but if you're going to debate financial performance in terms of transfer history you simply cannot put arsenal ahead of tottenham. whilst we have very similar transfer policies, we execute it better because while we make profits on our transfers and continue to buy cheap young talent, said talent is scouted well enough and comes in and improves the team or keeps it playing at the same level. see: modric sold for 35 million pounds and dembele bought for 15. see: ledley retires and we buy vert for 11 mil euros. see: VDV is sold (with a profit still i might add) and we purchase dempsey, siggy, and holtby, all at cut prices in 6 million, 8 million, and 1.5 million pounds respectively. and this has been going on for a while
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #7895 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
i'm sorry but if you're going to debate financial performance in terms of transfer history you simply cannot put arsenal ahead of tottenham. whilst we have very similar transfer policies, we execute it better because while we make profits on our transfers and continue to buy cheap young talent, said talent is scouted well enough and comes in and improves the team or keeps it playing at the same level. see: modric sold for 35 million pounds and dembele bought for 15. see: ledley retires and we buy vert for 11 mil euros. see: VDV is sold (with a profit still i might add) and we purchase dempsey, siggy, and holtby, all at cut prices in 6 million, 8 million, and 1.5 million pounds respectively. and this has been going on for a while
I've heard varying tales of how much Modric was sold for. Never heard 35 million pounds. Heard only 33 million pounds or 33 million euros.

If you look at the full totals of what Arsenal has done off some of its players it's insane. Only Porto has more net profit off of purchases and sales. Nobody is saying Tottenham doesn't do it but the amount of money that Porto and Arsenal have gained off of their sales is extraordinary - like anywhere between 200-400 million pounds off of 10-15 players. Some examples: Anelka - bought for 0.5 million pounds, sold for 22.3 million pounds. Cesc - practically free and sold for 29 million euros + 5 million euros pending certain conditions. Adebayor - bought for 3-7 million pounds, sold forwhat? about 25 million pounds. Clichy - bought for .25 million pounds, sold for 7 million pounds.Toure - bought for .15 million pounds, sold for 16 million pounds. Overmaars - 7 million pounds, sold for 25 million pounds. Say what you want but Arsenal know how to buy on the cheap and then sell high.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #7896 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,017
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
I've heard varying tales of how much Modric was sold for. Never heard 35 million pounds. Heard only 33 million pounds or 33 million euros.

If you look at the full totals of what Arsenal has done off some of its players it's insane. Only Porto has more net profit off of purchases and sales. Nobody is saying Tottenham doesn't do it but the amount of money that Porto and Arsenal have gained off of their sales is extraordinary - like anywhere between 200-400 million pounds off of 10-15 players. Some examples: Anelka - bought for 0.5 million pounds, sold for 22.3 million pounds. Cesc - practically free and sold for 29 million euros + 5 million euros pending certain conditions. Adebayor - bought for 3-7 million pounds, sold forwhat? about 25 million pounds. Clichy - bought for .25 million pounds, sold for 7 million pounds.Toure - bought for .15 million pounds, sold for 16 million pounds. Overmaars - 7 million pounds, sold for 25 million pounds. Say what you want but Arsenal know how to buy on the cheap and then sell high.
sure but what's the point of that if their level keeps dropping off every 3-4 years? it's not sustainable, or rather what I mean about that is they won't be a top english or european side consistently with this formula, as we've seen
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #7897 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
sure but what's the point of that if their level keeps dropping off every 3-4 years? it's not sustainable, or rather what I mean about that is they won't be a top english or european side consistently with this formula, as we've seen
Fair enough but I just think it's impressive to see how much they purchase and then sell for. It's kind of funny/strange that they, like Valencia, had an era of a lot of success (late 90s - mid 00s - essentially at the same time) but then had to sell key players. However, Valencia sold and is selling players out of necessity whereas Arsenal are not selling players out of necessity. However recently Valencia has decreased their debt so that's a good sign but they are building a new stadium so it's a tricky situation.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #7898 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,042
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
sure but what's the point of that if their level keeps dropping off every 3-4 years? it's not sustainable, or rather what I mean about that is they won't be a top english or european side consistently with this formula, as we've seen
Competing in the CL for the past I don't know many years....yeah not sustainable. We've been consistently top 3-4; wouldn't that make us a top English side? What are we currently sitting? 5th? 5 points away from Chelsea and 7 points from Spurs. Doesn't that allow us to be considered a top English side?

I'll be the first to admit that, yes, our quality in the past say seven years has gone down significantly.

That said, sometimes things don't work out.

They sold Cesc because they believed they had a capable replacement in Wilshire. Too bad his career looks like it will be full of injury. Song was a good CDM, but I never thought too highly of him and he greatly benefited playing beside RVP. Losing RVP hurts, but him staying with the club as long as he did was always a surprise (his early career and being an all around douchebag); hence why Walcott (long ago was brought in as a replacement). Walcott only recently has shown some type of form. I could go on, but needless to say, some of our youth has not performed up to expectations.

Is Arsenal going to compete with Barca, Real, ManU or Bayern? No. Newsflash though, very few teams can legitimately compete with those clubs day to day.

That said, Arsenal do have some good pieces (I'm not going to go on about it). The problem has been (and has been for now god knows how many years) is that because of their offensive philosophy they've sacrificed defensive positioning every year. However, that's Wenger and I'll live with that.

No offense, but this is one of the more ridiculous statements I've read. Non-sustainable.....it's what we've been doing since 1996!17 years! That's NOT-SUSTAINABLE! Are you kidding me? Not a top-European side? We were in the CL final in 2006! Not-sustainable? The more I think about it, the more ridiculous the statement.

Am I just be goaded into a response?
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #7899 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,546
Representing:
Default

Valencias situation simbolyzes everything thats wrong with this world. The bank thats going to own the team has been rescued by our taxes. Fucking disgrace.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #7900 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 7,017
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Competing in the CL for the past I don't know many years....yeah not sustainable. We've been consistently top 3-4; wouldn't that make us a top English side? What are we currently sitting? 5th? 5 points away from Chelsea and 7 points from Spurs. Doesn't that allow us to be considered a top English side?

I'll be the first to admit that, yes, our quality in the past say seven years has gone down significantly.

That said, sometimes things don't work out.

They sold Cesc because they believed they had a capable replacement in Wilshire. Too bad his career looks like it will be full of injury. Song was a good CDM, but I never thought too highly of him and he greatly benefited playing beside RVP. Losing RVP hurts, but him staying with the club as long as he did was always a surprise (his early career and being an all around douchebag); hence why Walcott (long ago was brought in as a replacement). Walcott only recently has shown some type of form. I could go on, but needless to say, some of our youth has not performed up to expectations.

Is Arsenal going to compete with Barca, Real, ManU or Bayern? No. Newsflash though, very few teams can legitimately compete with those clubs day to day.

That said, Arsenal do have some good pieces (I'm not going to go on about it). The problem has been (and has been for now god knows how many years) is that because of their offensive philosophy they've sacrificed defensive positioning every year. However, that's Wenger and I'll live with that.

No offense, but this is one of the more ridiculous statements I've read. Non-sustainable.....it's what we've been doing since 1996!17 years! That's NOT-SUSTAINABLE! Are you kidding me? Not a top-European side? We were in the CL final in 2006! Not-sustainable? The more I think about it, the more ridiculous the statement.

Am I just be goaded into a response?
I didn't mean any offence in this occasion actually. sorry about that. to clarify, what I meant is arsenal are united lite almost, and only reach united's success when almost everything goes right with their system. I just think a soccer club should have everything invested back into it. arsenal doesn't do this much of the time, hence why they were invincible for 2 years and now are struggling for a champs league spot against the first north london club who has almost half the revenue because you guys stole our turf



sorry, had to get that last snipe in hahah
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK has the world gone mad? jeffb NBA Talk 20 07-03-2009 01:15 PM
CB4 at Nash's Soccer Game in NYC Acie Toronto Raptors 5 07-02-2009 02:24 PM
Hockey, Soccer, NCAA Basketball?? Superjudge Toronto Raptors 4 09-17-2008 01:14 PM
Where did my soccer thread go? MikeToronto Toronto Raptors 8 06-25-2008 06:26 PM
If you like soccer... Belsius Other Sports 8 02-12-2008 07:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24