Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Other Sports (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/)
-   -   World Junior Hockey Championship 2009 (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/world-junior-hockey-championship-2009-a-2582.html)

reidjr 07-09-2008 11:40 AM

World Junior Hockey Championship 2009
 
The wjhc is 95% sold out.

Dr. J. Naismith 07-09-2008 11:41 AM

You get tickets reid?

reidjr 07-09-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 42145)
You get tickets reid?

No they started at $700 for the pack.

Dr. J. Naismith 07-09-2008 12:04 PM

WOW ... I love hockey, but not that much. I'll enjoy watching it from the comfort of my couch instead. ;)

Major 07-09-2008 12:15 PM

I can't wait for this. Only 169 days until I get to see my buddy Luke Schenn :p

Here are the list of players trying out

The team shouldn't be too hard to choose from. And it looks like we'll have a pretty solid team. Here are the guys I know for sure already are going to make it and will be one of the best there.

Goalies: Pickard, Allen
Defense: Doughty, Schenn, Pietrangelo, Cuma, Myers
Forwards: Stamkos, Bailey, Turris, Boychuk, Couture, Hodgson,

MangoKidHoops 07-09-2008 12:19 PM

I doubt Stamkos will be there. Turris and Couture are both questionable. So is Doughty.

What about Tavares? ANd Taylor Hall?

Major 07-09-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyRrAd_Nation (Post 42155)
I doubt Stamkos will be there. Turris and Couture are both questionable. So is Doughty.

What about Tavares? ANd Taylor Hall?

I hope Stamkos could be there, then we'd be unstoppable, but I could see why Tampa wouldn't allow him to go. Why wouldn't Turris make it? He's got to be at least a 3rd liner no? Why is Doughty questionable? He's definitely got the skill. But I can't see why he wouldn't play for them.

Tavares I don't know, being only 17 and all. But I guess he might. Taylor Hall isn't even invited to come to the camp.

reidjr 07-09-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyRrAd_Nation (Post 42155)
I doubt Stamkos will be there. Turris and Couture are both questionable. So is Doughty.

What about Tavares? ANd Taylor Hall?

Stamkos/,/couture/,doughhty are all expected to be at the tournemant.

MangoKidHoops 07-09-2008 12:57 PM

Most first overall picks make teh team out of camp. Take into account in a place like Tampa where fans will expect to see him, I don't think Jay Feaster lets him play in the world juniors, especially if he's having a solid rookie season.

Tavares made the team last year, did he not? If that's the case, I don't see why he wouldn't be playing this year. And I'll bet good money that Taylor Hall will be on that WJC team this year. He might be ranked higher than Tavares when the preliminary draft rankings come out in the fall.

Turris was up playing the Coyotes this season on the top-2 lines, so it's not inconceivable to think that he might not play at the WJC.

As for Doughty, it's the same thing with him as Stamkos. Doughty will probably break camp with the Kings.

I believe you're thinking that I don't think these players won't make it because of their skill when in fact I'm looking at it as the opposite. They have so much skill that they won't even be allowed to play at the WJC because they'll be playing with their respective NHL Clubs.

Major 07-09-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyRrAd_Nation (Post 42174)
I believe you're thinking that I don't think these players won't make it because of their skill when in fact I'm looking at it as the opposite. They have so much skill that they won't even be allowed to play at the WJC because they'll be playing with their respective NHL Clubs.

No trust me it's definitely not that. I'm just looking more at injury possibilities and age mostly. IMO Tavares is good enough to be with Stammer on the first line, having the skill is definitely not the issue that's keeping them away.

MangoKidHoops 07-09-2008 01:30 PM

Oh, the NHL doesn't frown upon it. Why would they? But if these players are performing well with their respective NHL clubs and are contributors, why would their parent club let let them go and risk injury? Understand what I'm getting at?

Take for instance: Sam Gagner, David Perron, Jonathan Toews were rookies in the NHL last season and Edmonton, St. Louis and Chicago didn't let them go to the WJC and Chicago didn't let Patrick Kane play for the US...

reidjr 07-09-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyRrAd_Nation (Post 42202)
Oh, the NHL doesn't frown upon it. Why would they? But if these players are performing well with their respective NHL clubs and are contributors, why would their parent club let let them go and risk injury? Understand what I'm getting at?

Take for instance: Sam Gagner, David Perron, Jonathan Toews were rookies in the NHL last season and Edmonton, St. Louis and Chicago didn't let them go to the WJC and Chicago didn't let Patrick Kane play for the US...

But with the nhl hurting in the states this is a huge chance for them to gain some steam.It is aslo a huge marketing tool for the teams take pittsburgh twhen sid won the gold with canada they played that up big time.If you go back and look at the past 10 years when there the wjhc in europe yes teams don't like lettting there players go.When its in canada or the states the same can not be said most teams have let there players take part here.

MangoKidHoops 07-09-2008 02:00 PM

Oh, no one outside of Canada really gives a fuck about the WJC.. why do you think they made an ammendment where Canada would hold they tourney every 3 years?

reidjr 07-09-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyRrAd_Nation (Post 42228)
Oh, no one outside of Canada really gives a fuck about the WJC.. why do you think they made an ammendment where Canada would hold they tourney every 3 years?

I am not so much talkign about the wjc its self.But having nhl players take part does do alot to promote the game in areas its not that big.

Adequate Swag 07-09-2008 05:17 PM

Let me make this real easy for you.

LyRrAd is right. Stamkos and Turris will not be there. No chance.

Doughty is a toss up to make the Kings at this point. So he, likely, will also not be there.

The WJC is in NO way a marketing tool for the NHL. Canada is the only country in the world that really gives a flying rats ass about the WJC. The NHL needs no further marketing in Canada. Therefore, marketing opportunities are limited.

Major 07-09-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adequate Swag (Post 42350)
Doughty is a toss up to make the Kings at this point. So he, likely, will also not be there.

Well I would hope Doughty doesn't make the Kings this year. They should keep him in the minors for one year so at least he'll be ready. No way he'll adjust that easily to go from OHL to NHL. Leafs are doing the same for Schenn and STL is doing the same for Alex.

It was actually said that of all 4 defensemen chosen 2-5, Schenn is the most NHL-ready. So if he's not playing with the Leafs this year, neither are Doughty, Bogosian and Pietrangelo.

Adequate Swag 07-09-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 42360)
Well I would hope Doughty doesn't make the Kings this year. They should keep him in the minors for one year so at least he'll be ready. No way he'll adjust that easily to go from OHL to NHL. Leafs are doing the same for Schenn and STL is doing the same for Alex.

It was actually said that of all 4 defensemen chosen 2-5, Schenn is the most NHL-ready. So if he's not playing with the Leafs this year, neither are Doughty, Bogosian and Pietrangelo.

The NHL's director of Central Scouting would disagree

Quote:

“He’s a defenceman around which a team is going to build the next 10 years,’’ said E.J. McGuire, the NHL’s director of Central Scouting. “A lot of his hockey experience translates into on-ice intelligence. It’s hard to find that in a young defenceman. Drew probably is one of the guys most able to step into the NHL next year.’’
Source

He was drafted 2nd overall for a reason. The guy is phenomenal, and of all these guys has the most NHL ready game without a doubt. Why? Skating and intelligence.

If you watched last years WJC, you can't possibly believe Schenn is a better player than Doughty.

Major 07-09-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adequate Swag (Post 42368)
The NHL's director of Central Scouting would disagree

Source

He was drafted 2nd overall for a reason. The guy is phenomenal, and of all these guys has the most NHL ready game without a doubt. Why? Skating and intelligence.

If you watched last years WJC, you can't possibly believe Schenn is a better player than Doughty.

I never said Schenn was a better player than Doughty, ever.

I said he was ready for the NHL more than the other 3 d-men. And that's not my opinion, TSN was saying that during the draft when he got drafted.

Does that mean he's the best of all 4? Definitely not.
Then why is he classified as the most NHL-ready? Most likely because of his size and the fact he's physical and big. Keep in mind this guy's only 18 and he's already hit the 220 lbs mark. Doughty is big too, I realize that, but Schenn is about 3 inches taller.

Honestly? I don't know why he's the most NHL-ready. TSN was talking about and they had probably said why he is, but I may have forgotten it or something.

Adequate Swag 07-09-2008 07:03 PM

Realistically, there likely isn't a huge difference in their NHL-readiness.

They're both excellent players, Doughty has a little more offensive talent, while Schenn is a bit more stay at home.

But wouldn't you say the better player at this point is more NHL ready?

Also to take into account, it's MUCH easier to bring an 18 year old defenseman along in LA than it is in Toronto, especially given that both these guys are highly touted. If Doughty struggles in LA, it won't be big news. If Schenn struggles in Toronto, he has to watch his back on the way home. That's just the way it is.

I've just been led to believe that Doughty has a good shot at making the Kings roster, while Schenn, if I'm not mistaken, isn't even being considered in Toronto this season.

Both would contend for top D man honours at the WJC if they play.

Major 07-09-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adequate Swag (Post 42377)
Realistically, there likely isn't a huge difference in their NHL-readiness.

They're both excellent players, Doughty has a little more offensive talent, while Schenn is a bit more stay at home.

But wouldn't you say the better player at this point is more NHL ready?

Also to take into account, it's MUCH easier to bring an 18 year old defenseman along in LA than it is in Toronto, especially given that both these guys are highly touted. If Doughty struggles in LA, it won't be big news. If Schenn struggles in Toronto, he has to watch his back on the way home. That's just the way it is.

I've just been led to believe that Doughty has a good shot at making the Kings roster, while Schenn, if I'm not mistaken, isn't even being considered in Toronto this season.

Both would contend for top D man honours at the WJC if they play.

Definitely got that right there.

I'll admit. Doughty is a better d-man, who can really argue with that? But like you stated Schenn is a stay-at-home. He'll be lucky to get 5 goals this season. But i'm not looking for that. We don't have a lot of stay-at-homers on the Leafs and i'm glad we drafted the perfect guy for TO.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24