World Cup thread - Page 31
Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #601 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 143
Representing:
Default

Netherlands - Brazil

Uruguay - Ghana

Argentina - Germany

Paraguay - Spain

4 South American, 3 European and 1 African team..

Congrats to Ghana first of all, to be here is at this stage is a big success...

We'll see a battle between Europa and S. America at which I think Euros will succeed..

Netherlands, Uruguay, Germany and Spain are my picks for next round..
huxley is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #602 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Your just jealous cuz he gets all the ladies.
... and all the men.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #603 (permalink)
all orange babbyy

Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 38
Representing:
Default

Ronaldo is a deuce.

Netherlands - Brazil

Uruguay - Ghana

Argentina - Germany

Paraguay - Spain
Petey is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #604 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Did that Spanish kid take a dive???

I didn't get to see it clearly but it looked like he didn't get touched at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
^^^^

Sure looked like a dive. Other then that good game. Spain vs. Paraguay in the next round. GO SPAIN GO


No dive. You see Costa caught his head with his elbow
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #605 (permalink)
confused why the raptors are so consistantly inconsistant

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 843
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Yes. Also, Christiano Ronaldo is a ball-hog. He wants to do everything by himself. Every free kick, each time his team has the ball. He just keep t on shooting away even from far range xD. He needs to learn the Portugal doesn't revolve around him
Ronaldo isnt a hog. As much as i hate him, he definitely isnt a hog. Its just he barely touched the ball all game, so when he did, he was eager to make something out of it.
the_ raps_analyst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #606 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Yup Ronaldo can't be totally blamed esp when Tiago is one of your better midfielders on the pitch
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #607 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #608 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,546
Representing:
Default

I actually though Xavi was the one offside by a little.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #609 (permalink)
........

Senior Member
 
MrClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,397
Representing:
Default

my predictions for the final 4 are as follows:

there will be 2 south american teams, 1 african team and 1 euro team remaining
MrClutch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #610 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,462
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belsius View Post
I actually though Xavi was the one offside by a little.
every time i watch soccer, i think they should just forget about the offside rule. it's not necessary.

there was one moment in the first half of that game where portugal had a nice little interchange right down in the corner of spain's end... beautiful give and go.... but of course the whistle blows for the easy offside call. imagine how much flow the game could have without the constant offside calls.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #611 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,399
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
every time i watch soccer, i think they should just forget about the offside rule. it's not necessary.

there was one moment in the first half of that game where portugal had a nice little interchange right down in the corner of spain's end... beautiful give and go.... but of course the whistle blows for the easy offside call. imagine how much flow the game could have without the constant offside calls.
but there would be alot of scoring and shots on goal, cant have that now can we
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #612 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,462
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy again View Post
but there would be alot of scoring and shots on goal, cant have that now can we
heavens no.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #613 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 143
Representing:
Default

Nigeria's national team got suspended by president for 2 years..

Quote:
Nigeria's president has suspended his nation's football team from international competition for two years after a poor showing at the World Cup.

Special presidential adviser Ima Niboro told reporters the decision by Goodluck Jonathan will "enable Nigeria to reorganize its football."

He said: "This directive became necessary following Nigeria's poor performance in the ongoing World Cup."
Nigeria suspends national team for poor World Cup - Dirty Tackle - World SoccerBlog - Yahoo! Sports
huxley is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:04 AM   #614 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,546
Representing:
Default

Offside is the most necesary rule in soccer. The field is just too big and the players would be too spread around the fielld if wasnt for it. Attackers would just camp next to the goal, and a lot of the tactical part of the game would dissapear.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #615 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

getting rid of offsides in soccer would be like getting rid of travelling in basketball. ..ok...maybe not travelling.... more like goaltending in basketball.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #616 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
getting rid of offsides in soccer would be like getting rid of travelling in basketball. ..ok...maybe not travelling.... more like goaltending in basketball.
I thought they already got rid of traveling
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #617 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
every time i watch soccer, i think they should just forget about the offside rule. it's not necessary.

there was one moment in the first half of that game where portugal had a nice little interchange right down in the corner of spain's end... beautiful give and go.... but of course the whistle blows for the easy offside call. imagine how much flow the game could have without the constant offside calls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy again View Post
but there would be alot of scoring and shots on goal, cant have that now can we
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
heavens no.
You guys can't be serious can you.


Besides I'd say diving and the emblishment of fouls is the worst part of soccer but that won't go out of the game its way too effective.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #618 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Personally i don't think soccer needs to do a single thing about changing the rules of the game to broaden appeal. Not one thing. It is far and away the most popular sport in the world. I don't think it's in anyone's interest to cater the game to some North American market because the general public doesn't 'get it' or there's not enough scoring. Billions of people the world over do get it and are happy with it. The rules are great.... as for the ability to maintain those rules accurately within games... now that's another matter all together.

Totally blows that they're showing the Brazil / Netherlands game at 10:00. I will again have to stay in the dark and avoid the score (as i did with the Japan Uraguay match) until the replay at 7:00 - meaning i'll stay out of this thread after kick off.

BTW. you know what totally fucking killed me with the Japan Uraguay game? so i managed to go through the whole day not knowing the score or anything about the game. Great. Half time rolls around and there is a commercial for CBC's "the National" where they preview the stories of the day. One of the things mentioned in the preview "and stay tuned for reaction after the first game in the world cup that went to a penalty shootout. .... now back to Soccer action at the World cup in south africa!"



motherfucking CBC (during the actual game) ruined it for me.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #619 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
Personally i don't think soccer needs to do a single thing about changing the rules of the game to broaden appeal. Not one thing. It is far and away the most popular sport in the world. I don't think it's in anyone's interest to cater the game to some North American market because the general public doesn't 'get it' or there's not enough scoring. Billions of people the world over do get it and are happy with it. The rules are great.... as for the ability to maintain those rules accurately within games... now that's another matter all together.

Totally blows that they're showing the Brazil / Netherlands game at 10:00. I will again have to stay in the dark and avoid the score (as i did with the Japan Uraguay match) until the replay at 7:00 - meaning i'll stay out of this thread after kick off.

BTW. you know what totally fucking killed me with the Japan Uraguay game? so i managed to go through the whole day not knowing the score or anything about the game. Great. Half time rolls around and there is a commercial for CBC's "the National" where they preview the stories of the day. One of the things mentioned in the preview "and stay tuned for reaction after the first game in the world cup that went to a penalty shootout. .... now back to Soccer action at the World cup in south africa!"



motherfucking CBC (during the actual game) ruined it for me.
PVR fancy its the only way to not get spoiled.

As for soccer and its "appeal". Personally I don't care each way. Every game has its warts and you can't do a thing about it for the most part.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #620 (permalink)
Taz
playing catch-up.

Back in the game.
 
Taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,709
Representing:
Default

Switching back and forth between tennis and football. So many sports, so little time.
Taz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24