Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Other Sports (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/)
-   -   Why are Leafs fan unliked? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/why-leafs-fan-unliked-17494.html)

Claudius 10-15-2010 10:46 AM

Why are Leafs fan unliked?
 
Based off the other thread and from a look around, I have to ask, why are Leafs fan unliked? What is it about them that's annoying?

fancylad 10-15-2010 10:57 AM

You want to know what makes leaf fans annoying?

Geography my friend. It's because we live in Toronto (or the GTA of you will) and hence that's the team that gets exposure. We are not exposed to Habs fans or Penguins fans to the same extent because of georgaphy alone.

The truth is that Leafs fans do nothing really that fans of other teams aren't guilty of. Take Raptor fans for example. I can attest to the fact that they're annoying too.

Acie 10-15-2010 10:58 AM

Habs fans are more annoying. :dancing:

Claudius 10-15-2010 10:59 AM

Fancy, but is it just limited to the GTA?

I equate to ManU to be honest in the sense that they're a North American brand. It's not just the GTA.

Belsius 10-15-2010 11:23 AM

I think its jsut like the Yankees, Lakers, Real Madrid, Man U, etc... Well, difference is Leafs actually dont win if Im not mistaken... :giggle:

fancylad 10-15-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belsius (Post 444535)
I think its jsut like the Yankees, Lakers, Real Madrid, Man U, etc... Well, difference is Leafs actually dont win if Im not mistaken... :giggle:

well some people are probably annoyed by their optimism. Frankly being a fan is all about rerpresenting your team and wearing your colours proudly. Fans of every team want them to succeed and most think there is some degree of success possible.

m5racer 10-15-2010 12:00 PM

They are annoying because every year they think their going deep into the playoffs, yet they haven't been there in quite some time. Thats what makes most of them annoying

thought 10-15-2010 12:16 PM

who hates leafs fans other than fans of other toronto sports teams?

i think it boils down to an inferiority complex

Barracuda 10-15-2010 12:17 PM

The fans that are annoying are the ones who have no grip on reality - when the team is doing horribly, they're still "gonna win it all" and are "the most talented team ever".

But I do think it's good that a lot of Leafs fans are optimistic... why be a fan if you're not going to hope they win?

Raptorman 10-15-2010 12:29 PM

43 years of losing and they still sell out every game.

What other franchise has that level of blind devotion?

Harold Ballard said "I could put Micky Mouse in net and they would still fill the building". He got it. I will not play anyones fool.

fancylad 10-15-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barracuda (Post 444554)
The fans that are annoying are the ones who have no grip on reality - when the team is doing horribly, they're still "gonna win it all" and are "the most talented team ever".

and every team has those types of fans. the Vito from Woodbridge types. All goes back to my point that we see and hear them because we live in or around toronto.

Barracuda 10-15-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fancylad (Post 444558)
and every team has those types of fans. the Vito from Woodbridge types. All goes back to my point that we see and hear them because we live in or around toronto.

True enough. I have buddies that are blindy devoted fans of other teams, and they can be just as annoying.

jeffb 10-15-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptorman (Post 444557)
43 years of losing and they still sell out every game.

What other franchise has that level of blind devotion?

Harold Ballard said "I could put Micky Mouse in net and they would still fill the building". He got it. I will not play anyones fool.

So they're stupid?

Raptorman 10-15-2010 01:11 PM

I disagree. I have friends that are fans of other teams and they all have their head on straight. None of them "plan the parade" after a three game winning streak.

Leaf fans are blindly optimistic. "This is our year". blah blah blah.

Management trading the future away for an aging Wendel Clarke and 2 minutes of Doug Gilmore just to appease the fans should tell you all you need to know about the Leafs and their fans.

Leaf fans are different. Frankly the only thing that will stop these morons is winning the cup. Then they will stop playing the "I know my team doesnt win- THATS how much of a dedicated fan I am" thing.

My favorite Leaf fan story. The Raps are in the playoffs vs the Knicks. A playoff game is on. I go to a pub and EVERY channel (about 30 TVs) are tuned to the Leafs trying to keep their playoff hopes alive. I get on a chair and turn ONE TV to the Raptor game. A dude fronts me-he's huge and dumb- and tells me I better change it back or "we're going to have a problem". He could turn his head about 10 degrees to see another TV. I tell the manager to have the cops on speed dial. After many words, the manager turns the TV back, gets his B/W TV from his office and puts in on the Raptor game. Tells me to leave if I dont like it.

THATS how dedicated he is!

jeffb 10-15-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptorman (Post 444572)

Leaf fans are different. Frankly the only thing that will stop these morons is winning the cup. Then they will stop playing the "I know my team doesnt win- THATS how much of a dedicated fan I am" thing.

Yep, and if you're not as delusional as they are then you simply aren't as good a fan as they are. lol

jeffb 10-15-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thought (Post 444553)
who hates leafs fans other than fans of other toronto sports teams?

i think it boils down to an inferiority complex

Hense one reason. Leafs or leaf fans are hated it must be that they feel inferior? Of what exactly? A team that has mostly sucked for over 4 decades? Or their fans that continue to be more delusional then any other fanbase that i know of. A fanbase that idolizes goons (ie: Tie Dummy) and have trouble embrassing skill unless they also throw a fist.

Maybe because they start threads in a basketball forum when the team starts a season 3-0, when theres a perfectly fine NHL/Loafs thread already where people are already in there drooling over them. Or maybe it's a leaf fan mentioning the leafs in the same sentence with real winners like ManU, Yankees, Lakers. This is a team that has done nothing, not even made the finals in 43yrs, yet the fans celebrate every winning streak, playoff appearance overachiening player moment as if they're gods. And when they inevitably fail they say shit like, well they played hard, let's see what Burkie can do. Yet these same leaf fans who are "fans" of other teams, when they see these other teams fail they are as harsh on them as harsh gets. They suck, it'sll be ten years before we do anything....blah, blah, blah. Ahhhh, are you also a leaf fan....ahh sit down!

Leafs fans are insecure and always question why people hate them and their shit overhyped and over exposed team. Leaf fans are hated throughout this country everytime they hear some schmuck say that Toronto is the Hockey Meca, which is laughable. About as laughable as Knicks fans/broadcasters saying NY is the meca of Basketball. Hense delusional.

Some Leaf fans are hated because they're leaf fans, not hockey fans and aren't that knowledgable. Leaf fans act as if this is ludacris, but i've seen and heard it, nobody can convince me otherwise so don't even begin to try. And if you think i'm the only one that thinks this......delusional.

Leaf fans talk about all their cups, ahhh yeah when there was 6 f'ing teams (except 1967). Quit living in the past.

To you saying it's just fans of other Toronto sports fans:

Quote:

Yesterday, me and Lynch were engaging in one of our favourite pastimes, making fun of the Toronto Maple Leafs. When I did the sports update at 6pm, I mentioned that the Leafs were a point up on Detroit and we started saying “Time to get on the bandwagon people! The spirit of ‘67 is back”…..essentially making fun of Leaf’s fans eternal optimism (and sometime lack of reality).
Quote:

Hating the Leafs isn’t just a western thing. In fact, its about as key to the Canadian experience as drinking a Molson Canadian, owning flannel and skinny dipping in a cold lake or river. One merely has to look at the children’s story The Hockey Sweater (about a young boy in Quebec accidentally receiving a Leafs jersey instead of a Rocket Richard inspired Habs sweater) to realize that outside of some parts in Ontario, hating and complaining about TML is about the most patriotic thing you can do aside from singing the national anthem.
Quote:

“It’s all about arrogance, the center of the universe thing”


newsboy Blog Archive Why We Hate (The Toronto Maple Leafs)

The Leafs and their fans are hated by many in this country. Believe it or not, that's your choice.

Another great one i have heard from the odd leaf fan "Leaf haters are just jealous" :haha: Of WTF exactly?

FUCK, When i was a leaf fan......i hated Leaf fans. lol

Montreal>>>>>>>>>Toronto as a franchise and a fanbase.



^^^ This Youtube is OLD but still fun, and relevant. lol

TORaptor4Ever 10-15-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptorman (Post 444572)
I disagree. I have friends that are fans of other teams and they all have their head on straight. None of them "plan the parade" after a three game winning streak.

Leaf fans are blindly optimistic. "This is our year". blah blah blah.

Management trading the future away for an aging Wendel Clarke and 2 minutes of Doug Gilmore just to appease the fans should tell you all you need to know about the Leafs and their fans.

Leaf fans are different. Frankly the only thing that will stop these morons is winning the cup. Then they will stop playing the "I know my team doesnt win- THATS how much of a dedicated fan I am" thing.

My favorite Leaf fan story. The Raps are in the playoffs vs the Knicks. A playoff game is on. I go to a pub and EVERY channel (about 30 TVs) are tuned to the Leafs trying to keep their playoff hopes alive. I get on a chair and turn ONE TV to the Raptor game. A dude fronts me-he's huge and dumb- and tells me I better change it back or "we're going to have a problem". He could turn his head about 10 degrees to see another TV. I tell the manager to have the cops on speed dial. After many words, the manager turns the TV back, gets his B/W TV from his office and puts in on the Raptor game. Tells me to leave if I dont like it.

THATS how dedicated he is!

Lol... I love fans like that.

It is really sad though that most casual fans won't even acknowledge the Raps' existence until the Leafs are done in the playoffs.

This city is going to need G20-like security if the Leafs ever win the cup lol... because it will probably burn down.

jeffb 10-15-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever (Post 444577)

This city is going to need G20-like security if the Leafs ever win the cup lol... because it will probably burn down.

We'll never know.

TORaptor4Ever 10-15-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 444579)
We'll never know.

Lol.... hey, if the Red Sox could win the World Series then anything's possible. ;)

'trane 10-15-2010 01:32 PM

the only thing worse than leaf fans are guys that don't even like the team or the sport but make a point of deriding others for the things that they enjoy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24