Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Other Sports (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/)
-   -   Sochi (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/sochi-26484.html)

jeffb 02-04-2014 06:56 PM

Sochi
 
WOW!! :dead:

Wealth of Issues Face 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Athletes, Fans and Journalists | Bleacher Report

Psi 02-04-2014 07:22 PM

Geez, it's going to be a nightmare there.

Stonezz 02-04-2014 07:37 PM

wow what a mess

LOG 02-04-2014 07:54 PM

Rooms are pretty bad, But I don't see why are they surprised that the water is yellow, that happens in Canada too when they turn it off to fix the pipes.
Sochi is a beautiful city though

TORaptor4Ever 02-04-2014 09:58 PM

It's a joke that the IOC even gave them the Olympics to begin with.

Hopefully this is the last one that they'll see for a while.

LOG 02-04-2014 10:22 PM

I think you guys are buying into media propaganda too much. Imo this will be successful olympics.
Some countries were complaining about certain things (like food) in Vancouver, but nobody made a big deal out of it. This has America written all over it..

TORaptor4Ever 02-04-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOG (Post 863961)
I think you guys are buying into media propaganda too much. Imo this will be successful olympics.
Some countries were complaining about certain things (like food) in Vancouver, but nobody made a big deal out of it. This has America written all over it..

Uhhhh.... wha? If you're trying to compare the Vancouver Olympics and the city's facilities and infrastructure compared to what's there in Sochi... I don't know what to say.

jeffb 02-04-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOG (Post 863961)
I think you guys are buying into media propaganda too much. Imo this will be successful olympics.
Some countries were complaining about certain things (like food) in Vancouver, but nobody made a big deal out of it. This has America written all over it..

There were supposed to be 9 hotels built, only six are currently ready. There are pictures of signs saying don't flush the toilet paper, and to not wash your face with the water there. Surely you're going to compare Vancouver's olympics and some people not liking some of the food to that are you? All Olympics have some issues.....but not having enough rooms, piss colored water, plumbing issues and infrastrutcure issues is on a whole other level.

LOG 02-04-2014 11:19 PM

not trying to compare, I'm just saying it's little early to say it will be a disaster. I have seen very possitive reviews from some journalists and gussets. Lets not jump the gun

jeffb 02-04-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOG (Post 863981)
not trying to compare, I'm just saying it's little early to say it will be a disaster. I have seen very possitive reviews from some journalists and gussets. Lets not jump the gun

IMO these games will be very mixed at best. Let's just hope nothing/nobody is blown up. That alone would make it a success.

LOG 02-04-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 863984)
IMO these games will be very mixed at best. Let's just hope nothing/nobody is blown up. That alone would it a success.

^agree, It seems like they are trying their best to keep it safe, but we will see


fancylad 02-05-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever (Post 863956)
It's a joke that the IOC even gave them the Olympics to begin with.

Hopefully this is the last one that they'll see for a while.

The IOC and FIFA: the two biggest sporting governing bodies (or whatever you want to call them) in the world and such examples of corruption and overall contradictions of what they're supposed to represent.

I'll watch the olympics and i'll enjoy it because of the sports, but i can't take all the 'olympic ideals' and that nonsense very seriously.

Rompeprop 02-05-2014 05:57 AM

GISMETEO.COM: Weather in Sochi. 2 weeks weather forecast for Sochi, Krasnodar Krai, Sochi, Russia
weather would fit the summer olympics more than winter .Sochi is probably the warmest city in Russia and they decided to do winter olympics there, funny, isn't it?

LOG 02-05-2014 06:51 AM

^Yup, city that has palm trees growing is odd choise for winter olympics

Beans 02-05-2014 11:51 AM

As of yesterday there was a lot of snow up in the mountains. I don't know how far away the Alpine Village is from Sochi (an hour train ride is what I've read). Whistler is 125 km from Vancouver and takes about an hour and a half to drive there.

Fear not – Sochi has snow in these beautiful mountains | News and Blogs - CTV News at Sochi 2014

fancylad 02-05-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beans (Post 864064)
As of yesterday there was a lot of snow up in the mountains. I don't know how far away the Alpine Village is from Sochi (an hour train ride is what I've read). Whistler is 125 km from Vancouver and takes about an hour and a half to drive there.

Fear not – Sochi has snow in these beautiful mountains | News and Blogs - CTV News at Sochi 2014

aparently the mountains are very close to the city which is one of sochi's advantages. All the locations are super close together - more so than other olympic cities in the past.

LOG 02-05-2014 07:45 PM

Was talking to my dad today who lives in London. He was one of the workers, building the olympic village there. He said that the Rooms were pretty bad, and really small. Some of them had no hot water and air conditioning, and some of the TV's were not working. But we didn't hear much about that did we? Nobody made drama out of that, or said that London olympics sucked ass. Imo it's little too early to say that about Sochi

Carlos Danger 02-05-2014 09:42 PM

People are just up in arms over some of Russia's views (Putin's more specifically) and are taking that out on the Olympics. I understand that they want comfort, but the up roar over the beds? Big deal. Some people in this world sleep on the ground!!

Did hear on Prime Time Sports from one of the guests, that he's talked to two people that have said that they feel extremely safe and that the security is very good. That's good news.

LOG 02-07-2014 01:48 PM

Anyone's watching opening ceremony? :)

jeffb 02-07-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOG (Post 864874)
Anyone's watching opening ceremony? :)

Just got home, watching now. So much blathering on...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24