Official NHL Thread - Page 47
Old 05-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #921 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Jeff, that's what you're supposed to do. You're supposed to demonstrate that the market could support it. He was doing his due diligence.

I agree. But you get the team first, and then start making your case as to why you want to move a team and where. He just seems way over confident, more so arrogant imo. Just put a bid in, get the team and then make your intensions known and make you case by showing the research and the due diligence. I mean everyone knows his intensions anyway, just put your bid in, do your research behind closed doors and be a little low key about it until you get your team. But to sell tickets to a non exsistent team and show 150Mil plans for renovations to a shitty arena, before you get a team is to me arrogant and stupid. A little humility might be needed. Ya know... something different which might work, unlike his first 2 attempts.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #922 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I agree. But you get the team first, and then start making your case as to why you want to move a team and where. He just seems way over confident, more so arrogant imo. Just put a bid in, get the team and then make your intensions known and make you case by showing the research and the due diligence. I mean everyone knows his intensions anyway, just put your bid in, do your research behind closed doors and be a little low key about it until you get your team. But to sell tickets to a non exsistent team and show 150Mil plans for renovations to a shitty arena, before you get a team is to me arrogant and stupid. A little humility might be needed. Ya know... something different which might work, unlike his first 2 attempts.
Again, it`s part of the process of showing it`s a viable market. And I don`t see how you can see him as arrogant. He`s not strutting around, hey look at me, look what I can do. For all intents and purposes, he hasn`t said a damn thing in the media, rather the media is speaking for him. The fact that this is Canada and a hockey team can move here isn`t helping his cause moreso than anything else as it`s the only thing you hear about. Hell, were/was the potential ownership group looking at Vaughn arrogant? How about the guy in BC who wanted to buy the Thrashers and move them to Hamilton?

If anything he's been more than humble. He's paying way, way over market value for a team in a league that's struggling. Again, he's trying to rush the process, but he's showcasing his business plans. It's something that happens in business all the time and it also demonstrates his transparency in a league that desperately needs transparency.

I think your opinion just boils down to the fact that you dislike the man. Case closed.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #923 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,089
Representing:
Default

Why in the hell did they play the first two games of the Stanley Cup Finals back to back?
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #924 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,591
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Why in the hell did they play the first two games of the Stanley Cup Finals back to back?
b/c they have to do what NBC says, seeing as they don't pay the NHL a dime for broadcast rights
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #925 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 12,770
Representing:
Default

Looks like the Canadiens are going with Jacques Martin as their head coach now.

Source - Canadiens introduce Jacques Martin as new head coach
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #926 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Again, it`s part of the process of showing it`s a viable market. And I don`t see how you can see him as arrogant. He`s not strutting around, hey look at me, look what I can do. For all intents and purposes, he hasn`t said a damn thing in the media, rather the media is speaking for him. The fact that this is Canada and a hockey team can move here isn`t helping his cause moreso than anything else as it`s the only thing you hear about. Hell, were/was the potential ownership group looking at Vaughn arrogant? How about the guy in BC who wanted to buy the Thrashers and move them to Hamilton?

If anything he's been more than humble. He's paying way, way over market value for a team in a league that's struggling. Again, he's trying to rush the process, but he's showcasing his business plans. It's something that happens in business all the time and it also demonstrates his transparency in a league that desperately needs transparency.

I think your opinion just boils down to the fact that you dislike the man. Case closed.
Case closed my ass! I don't dislike him b/c i don't know him. I just disagree with the way he goes about doing this. I disagreed with it the last 2 times also. The fact is, yes you're right showing it's a viable market.But first off didn't he show that the first two times around? Secondly showing off 150Mil dollar overhaul of Copps doesn't show shit about the Market. It shows he wants to spend alot of Money, most of which isn't his own. I don't care who it is, he's going about this the wrong way as he did before JMHO. We just disagree about it, whatever.

Last edited by jeffb; 06-01-2009 at 04:00 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #927 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,634
Representing:
Default

He is going about it the wrong way, but why would Balsille buy the Coyotes only to keep them in Phoenix? That franchise is losing money hand over fist. Bettman doesn't want Phoenix to relocate because that would admit failure on his part for expanding there in the first place. The problem is, Glendale is like what Kanata is to Ottawa - a far trek out of the city. I mean, Phoenix isn't a hockey market as it is, and the base isn't rabid enough to have people come out during the week to catch the 'yotes.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #928 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,634
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith View Post
Looks like the Canadiens are going with Jacques Martin as their head coach now.

Source - Canadiens introduce Jacques Martin as new head coach
Not gonna matter anyways. With a lot of UFAs this summer, the Habs are gonna be a much different team next year.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #929 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoKidHoops View Post
He is going about it the wrong way, but why would Balsille buy the Coyotes only to keep them in Phoenix?
I'm not saying keep them there. I'm saying play the game. Make a bid keep your trap shut, get control of the team then make your case to moving them. He's already tried to prove Hamilton's viability a few times and succeeded to a degree. Doing it this time around is overkill. Everyone knows what he wants to do, now he just seems to be over doing it. A little humility might be another route to take. Just maybe?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #930 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith View Post
Looks like the Canadiens are going with Jacques Martin as their head coach now.

Source - Canadiens introduce Jacques Martin as new head coach
Montreal got their French coach! Good luck Les Habitant.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #931 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,415
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I'm not saying keep them there. I'm saying play the game. Make a bid keep your trap shut, get control of the team then make your case to moving them. He's already tried to prove Hamilton's viability a few times and succeeded to a degree. Doing it this time around is overkill. Everyone knows what he wants to do, now he just seems to be over doing it. A little humility might be another route to take. Just maybe?
He has absolutely ZERO interest in owning an NHL team based in Phoenix. And if he did things the way you suggest, there is a strong likelihood that is exactly what he would end up with.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #932 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
He has absolutely ZERO interest in owning an NHL team based in Phoenix. And if he did things the way you suggest, there is a strong likelihood that is exactly what he would end up with.
No he wouldn't. Phoenix is a sinking ship. Who ever gets that team will eventually be able to move it. Probably sooner rather then later. He's just putting the cart before the horse making him look arrogant imo. Pointless right now because i predict he won't get Phoenix anyway.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #933 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,634
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
No he wouldn't. Phoenix is a sinking ship. Who ever gets that team will eventually be able to move it. Probably sooner rather then later. He's just putting the cart before the horse making him look arrogant imo. Pointless right now because i predict he won't get Phoenix anyway.
Eventually... right...

You say he's arrogant, but come on, the guy is paying WAY over market value for a fledging franchise and Bettman wants to keep it there because of his prideful nature. Another reason why a lot of people have stopped giving a shit about the NHL.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #934 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoKidHoops View Post
Eventually... right...

You say he's arrogant, but come on, the guy is paying WAY over market value for a fledging franchise and Bettman wants to keep it there because of his prideful nature. Another reason why a lot of people have stopped giving a shit about the NHL.
True enough. People are losing interest in hockey. And Bettman's a dick!
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #935 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,415
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
No he wouldn't. Phoenix is a sinking ship. Who ever gets that team will eventually be able to move it. Probably sooner rather then later. He's just putting the cart before the horse making him look arrogant imo. Pointless right now because i predict he won't get Phoenix anyway.
Sure.... after losing $80M and then only being able to go where the NHL decides they can go. *coughkansascitycough*
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #936 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
Sure.... after losing $80M and then only being able to go where the NHL decides they can go. *coughkansascitycough*
If he gets the team they'll play at least 1 more season in Phoenix anyway. Do you think 150Mil in renovations would occur overnight? Especially considering he'd need approved assistance to even get that started.

Kansas City... now there's a hockey market?? lol

Last edited by jeffb; 06-01-2009 at 06:21 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #937 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,552
Representing:
Default

The NHL's a joke.

Malkin committed an interigation penalty, and the league just says, "Meh, hes a key player, so lets let him play game 3."

Its not like this has happened in other sports, but if the player is stupid enough to get caught up in the heat of the moment and commit a dumb penalty, he/she should their penalty and move on.
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #938 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
The NHL's a joke.

Malkin committed an interigation penalty, and the league just says, "Meh, hes a key player, so lets let him play game 3."

Its not like this has happened in other sports, but if the player is stupid enough to get caught up in the heat of the moment and commit a dumb penalty, he/she should their penalty and move on.
NHL is a joke for many reasons. One being that "in the heat of the moment", is an excuse to fight pretty much at will. You get upset, start throwing the fists, or wrestle (in many cases). And recinding a suspension makes them look beyond small potatoes/bush league not to mention chicken shit.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #939 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,415
Representing:
Default

Say what you will, the NHL officiating looks friggin' awesome compared to the NBA, which has been abyssmal.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #940 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,799
Representing:
Default

The NHL seems to be the only league where "rules" are open for interpretation. You either break a rule or you don't. Subjective calls are debateable, rules aren't.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Official MMA Thread Windex Other Sports 2746 06-06-2015 11:18 PM
Official NFL Thread dfunkie1 Other Sports 3226 05-12-2015 08:03 PM
The Official RF 'My Brute' Thread TORaptor4Ever Entertainment Lounge 288 06-04-2009 03:58 PM
The Official NBA 2K9 Thread you dont know me Entertainment Lounge 13 12-05-2008 03:04 PM
The Official RF Animals Thread ClingRap Entertainment Lounge 34 11-20-2008 06:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24