Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Other Sports (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/)
-   -   Hoop fans in hockeyland (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/hoop-fans-hockeyland-20240.html)

Claudius 05-16-2011 08:52 AM

Hoop fans in hockeyland
 
Caught this on one of my google alerts this morning. I'm sure many of us can feel his pain.

Quote:

Following professional basketball in Ottawa, or anywhere in Canada, is a lonely affair. Sure, there are hoops fans out there, but not many. Just try getting a sports bar to devote one of its many screens to an NBA game during the NHL playoffs.

Once, a buddy and I asked a bartender if we could watch a Toronto Raptors game and were put in a separate room by ourselves. The servers forgot about us. Next time I'll bring my own beer, a deep fryer and some frozen chicken wings, just in case.

Need more proof? Check the newspaper. Last Tuesday, Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls, the youngest MVP in NBA history, led his team to victory over the Atlanta Hawks to take a 3-2 lead in their second-round playoff series. The game was briefly recapped on the last page of the Citizen's sports section the next day.

The preceding pages in the sports section contained 10 articles, all about hockey. Five described playoff games in various leagues: NHL, CHL, AHL, OHL. (Hockey executives have mastered prefixing "HL" with a letter from the alphabet.) One was about the Ice Hockey World Championships, another about a hockey summit in Quebec.
Quote:

Today, I still think professional basketball players are the most amazing athletes on Earth. These guys are giants, yet still nimble, still graceful. All professional athletes are incredible physical specimens, of course, but NBA stars are something more. They're genetic aberrations -mutants who like rap music, own 14 cars and jump three feet off the ground.

That's why I remain a fan. And though living in a hockey-mad town can be lonely for a hoops junkie, it has one major advantage. Sometimes I miss an NBA playoff game and watch it the following evening online, which means I have to avoid news about its outcome. In hockeyland, fortunately, avoiding basketball news is easier than an empty-net breakaway.
Hoop fans in hockeyland

jeffb 05-16-2011 09:06 AM

I remember last week getting a Toronto sun and seeing the NBA playoffs covered on page 16-18. Before that 8 pages of NHL playoffs, NFL lockout, Lacross, Jays on page 9 or 10 and eventually the NBA. IMO that doesn't reflect the lack of overall NBA fans which in Toronto in particular there a lot of, but it reflects the ignorance of the media in this city. Although I will say that anytime I've gone to bar during the playoffs, if there were enough TV's getting an NBA game on isn't an issue. I know a couple pubs in Scarborough were some of the bartenders love basketball and make sure that the games are on along with the NHL playoffs.

fancylad 05-16-2011 09:42 AM

Maybe it's because i'm used to it.... maybe it's because i like hockey and other sports... maybe it's because my enthusiasm for the NBA has gone down a bit in general recently... but i have little sympathy for the dude that wrote that wrote that article and for those that complain about sports media coverage. OK maybe in Ottawa where that guy lives it's pretty bad, but here in Toronto i think this is pretty much a non issue.

But the main reason why i have little sympathy is because all the information anyone would possibly want about their favorite sport is all available on the internet. This great invention is pretty much my main source for keeping up with things that i am interested sports and otherwise in addition to actually watching the games on TV. Media is changing. Newspapers are becoming a dying form of communication. I don't even know the last time i had a newspaper in my apartment, but it has surely been years and I don't bother picking up free ones that they hand out on the street. I would tell that dude in ottawa that if he wanted to protest that newspaper company for their lack of basketball coverage then he should never buy or support them again. simple as that.

On the flip side i was visiting my parents a couple weeks ago and they still get the paper every weekend. The star. I looked through the sports page and i totally remember that every sport (baseball, Hockey playoffs, NBA playoffs and even Toronto FC soccer) was well covered with extra articles and everything. I found their coverage rather well balanced on that particular day.

anyways maybe it's worse in ottawa. i wouldn't know.

jeffb 05-16-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fancylad (Post 539321)
Maybe it's because i'm used to it.... maybe it's because i like hockey and other sports... maybe it's because my enthusiasm for the NBA has gone down a bit in general recently... but i have little sympathy for the dude that wrote that wrote that article and for those that complain about sports media coverage. OK maybe in Ottawa where that guy lives it's pretty bad, but here in Toronto i think this is pretty much a non issue.

But the main reason why i have little sympathy is because all the information anyone would possibly want about their favorite sport is all available on the internet. This great invention is pretty much my main source for keeping up with things that i am interested sports and otherwise in addition to actually watching the games on TV. Media is changing. Newspapers are becoming a dying form of communication. I don't even know the last time i had a newspaper in my apartment, but it has surely been years and I don't bother picking up free ones that they hand out on the street. I would tell that dude in ottawa that if he wanted to protest that newspaper company for their lack of basketball coverage then he should never buy or support them again. simple as that.

On the flip side i was visiting my parents a couple weeks ago and they still get the paper every weekend. The star. I looked through the sports page and i totally remember that every sport (baseball, Hockey playoffs, NBA playoffs and even Toronto FC soccer) was well covered with extra articles and everything. I found their coverage rather well balanced on that particular day.

anyways maybe it's worse in ottawa. i wouldn't know.


You're right. Ultimately you can find what you want out there. We have NBATV, Internet, I have satelite radio which has NBA stations, and recently I tuned into to TSN radio which oddly enough has a lot of NBA discussion and is way more balanced then the Fan590. IMO there's more basketball coverage now then ever before with everything available to us. Plus, there are bars out there that have no problem putting on an NBA game, some have them on automatically.

XiaominWu 05-16-2011 10:34 AM

With the Raptors having been eliminated from playoff contention in about November...... I think it is fair to say that the number of people around here who have even the smallest interest in the NBA playoffs is very very small. And I'm sure it's the same in Ottawa... so I can't understand what the writer of the original piece is expecting. Derrick Rose? hawks-bulls? seriously? Nobody cares.

jeffb 05-16-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XiaominWu (Post 539358)
With the Raptors having been eliminated from playoff contention in about November...... I think it is fair to say that the number of people around here who have even the smallest interest in the NBA playoffs is very very small. And I'm sure it's the same in Ottawa... so I can't understand what the writer of the original piece is expecting. Derrick Rose? hawks-bulls? seriously? Nobody cares.

With the demographics in this city and the large interest among young adults which has been documented I don't buy that. Now, in Ottawa and other parts of this country I agree with. But here I believe there's interest for sure.

dfunkie1 05-16-2011 11:21 AM

i live in ottawa and i've watched most my games at restuarant bars without a problem. my issue is finding a place to watch NFL when there's a CFL game on. seriously, CFL over NFL in ottawa, that's the stupidest thing ever.

Superjudge 05-16-2011 12:38 PM

A close friend of mine is one of the editors of the globe and mail. I will suggest to those of you who are offering comments like "toronto media people are ignorant" that you try to learn a bit more about everything before saying that.

There is a reason the NBA isn't covered as much. That reason is that the demand is low. Period. 21 year old kids aren't out buying papers, their parents are.

People wiser than us are in place to maximize profit for advertisers who are using the papers to promote their brands. low readership means less ad revenue, so trust, they try their hardest to keep as many people happy as they can. It's a REALLY hard business. If the NBA playoffs on page one would result in an increase is sales, thats exactly where it would be.

Funny thing to me.... why do people think it's the Media's job to promote their favourite team or sport, shouldn't the team or league be doing that on their own?

Claudius 05-16-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 539397)
A close friend of mine is one of the editors of the globe and mail. I will suggest to those of you who are offering comments like "toronto media people are ignorant" that you try to learn a bit more about everything before saying that.

There is a reason the NBA isn't covered as much. That reason is that the demand is low. Period. 21 year old kids aren't out buying papers, their parents are.

People wiser than us are in place to maximize profit for advertisers who are using the papers to promote their brands. low readership means less ad revenue, so trust, they try their hardest to keep as many people happy as they can. It's a REALLY hard business. If the NBA playoffs on page one would result in an increase is sales, thats exactly where it would be.

Funny thing to me.... why do people think it's the Media's job to promote their favourite team or sport, shouldn't the team or league be doing that on their own?

You can make a strong argument that it's a two way street.

As for the rest, yes, you're right, they know who's buying (45+). There's a reason though that basketball coverage is done well online (newspaper blogs etc.) as that's where most of the younger generation will seek their information.

jeffb 05-16-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 539397)
A close friend of mine is one of the editors of the globe and mail. I will suggest to those of you who are offering comments like "toronto media people are ignorant" that you try to learn a bit more about everything before saying that.

There is a reason the NBA isn't covered as much. That reason is that the demand is low. Period. 21 year old kids aren't out buying papers, their parents are.

People wiser than us are in place to maximize profit for advertisers who are using the papers to promote their brands. low readership means less ad revenue, so trust, they try their hardest to keep as many people happy as they can. It's a REALLY hard business. If the NBA playoffs on page one would result in an increase is sales, thats exactly where it would be.

Funny thing to me.... why do people think it's the Media's job to promote their favourite team or sport, shouldn't the team or league be doing that on their own?

I think people that buy newspapers buy them religiously for the most part and don't buy specifically because something is on page 1, 100 or wherever. Seriouusly, I never buy newspapers anymore. I bought one recently for the hell of it. Most people who read the paper are gonna skim through and read what they want and skip the rest no matter what page they're on. But you're right, old people are the ones reading these papers.

Superjudge 05-16-2011 12:57 PM

yep.

I get my NBA right here baby.

jeffb 05-16-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 539399)
You can make a strong argument that it's a two way street.

As for the rest, yes, you're right, they know who's buying (45+). There's a reason though that basketball coverage is done well online (newspaper blogs etc.) as that's where most of the younger generation will seek their information.

Very true. Let the old white puckheads thumb through a paper while all hipsters, nerds and young folk go online. Lol

Claudius 05-16-2011 01:23 PM

Oh, I read the newspaper every day (I get the Globe and Mail and Spectator delivered every morning) and I reach both. I think there's something to be said about article placement, headlines etc.

XiaominWu 05-16-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 539407)
Very true. Let the old white puckheads thumb through a paper while all hipsters, nerds and young folk go online. Lol

FYI, Jeff.... the 'hipsters, nerds and young folk' are puckheads, too. ;)

XiaominWu 05-16-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 539416)
Oh, I read the newspaper every day (I get the Globe and Mail and Spectator delivered every morning) and I reach both. I think there's something to be said about article placement, headlines etc.

There is also something to be said for taking a break from staring at a frikkin' screen for a few minutes out of the day. I really miss newspapers.

jeffb 05-16-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XiaominWu (Post 539417)
FYI, Jeff.... the 'hipsters, nerds and young folk' are puckheads, too. ;)

Ok

Bill Haverchuck 05-16-2011 01:52 PM

Before I scrolled past the opening post, I was thinking "jeffb will be the first to respond".

jeffb 05-16-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck (Post 539425)
Before I scrolled past the opening post, I was thinking "jeffb will be the first to respond".

How is that different from most threads? lol

Bill Haverchuck 05-16-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XiaominWu (Post 539418)
There is also something to be said for taking a break from staring at a frikkin' screen for a few minutes out of the day. I really miss newspapers.

+1

Bill Haverchuck 05-16-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 539426)
How is that different from most threads? lol

Ah, good point. Touche.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24