Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Other Sports (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/)
-   -   grey cup (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/grey-cup-18227.html)

'trane 11-28-2010 08:39 PM

grey cup
 
decent game so far.

anyone?

Dark Knight 11-28-2010 08:42 PM

I'm rooting for the Riders. They deserve to win after their blunder last year.

Redemption!!! :dancing:

Gurk 11-28-2010 09:06 PM

What is this? :mischief:

Chiggmo 11-28-2010 09:30 PM

Despite hating the CFL with a passion, I've been flicking to it now and then.

Nites 11-28-2010 11:25 PM

I didn't watch the game. However, I caught the post celebration.

Windex 11-29-2010 02:01 AM

Montreal beat the boys from Regina again
at least there wasnt a 13th man :)
didn't get to see it because I was moving

Shadowfax 11-29-2010 10:48 AM

no offense to any members here who like Canadian football...but i have no use for this organization...bush league at best

fancylad 11-29-2010 02:02 PM

While the sport of american football isn't my cup of team, i like the CFL a fair bit. I don't see what makes it bush league at all. :face4:

I caught most of the game yesterday. It was pretty good. While i was hoping that the Riders would win, Montreal is just too good of a team and Calvillo is too good of a QB. They're the team to beat in the whole CFL.

jeffb 11-29-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Mxyzptlk (Post 468817)
no offense to any members here who like Canadian football...but i have no use for this organization...bush league at best

I agree completely.

'trane 11-29-2010 02:15 PM

i'm not a routine cfl fan, but they throw a hell of a good party that brings canadians together, and i see no reason to hate on a sport that is so much a part of the tradition of many parts of our country.

Acie 11-29-2010 02:20 PM

Not my cup of tea, but I'd like to see the pussies down south try and play with only 3 downs.

fancylad 11-29-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 468867)
I agree completely.

enlighten me. Why do you think it's bush league?

jeffb 11-29-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 468871)
i'm not a routine cfl fan, but they throw a hell of a good party that brings canadians together, and i see no reason to hate on a sport that is so much a part of the tradition of many parts of our country.

I suppose. I just don't think an 8 team league that has 6 of those teams get playoff spots is that interesting. That plus the talent is pretty piss poor. It's the D League for players that can't cut it in the NFL for the most part and it doesn't help that each team has to have so many Canadian players, i understand it's a canadian based league but still, stupid imo.

It's great if someone is a CFL fan and if the enjoy the great atmosphere. But i've always found the CFL very lackluster, aside from the grey cup perhaps as it appears to as you said, they throw a good party and it does have a very long tradition. Just not my thing. I don't watch much football, but if i do it isn't the CFL.

fancylad 11-29-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 468877)
I suppose. I just don't think an 8 team league that has 6 of those teams get playoff spots is that interesting. That plus the talent is pretty piss poor. It's the D League for players that can't cut it in the NFL for the most part and it doesn't help that each team has to have so many Canadian players, i understand it's a canadian based league but still.

It's great if someone is a CFL fan and if the enjoy the great atmosphere. But i've always found the CFL very lackluster, aside from the grey cup perhaps as it appears to as you said, they throw a good party and it does have a very long tradition. Just not my thing. I don't watch much football, but if i do it isn't the CFL.

OK. I'll respond to this because it pretty much answered the question i posed to you.

I'll concede to your point about the playoff selections (damn there's a first time for eveything i guess). good point. They should narrow down the playoffs. Top two in each conference and that's it. However, i will disagree with you about the knock on talent. Seriously, this by all accounts is the second best professional league in the world.

Again, as i said i am not even a fan of the sport, but the athletes look damn talented to me. I often see good runs, exciting tackles, diving catches, long throws, etc. To say that the talent is piss poor just shows that you are trying to hate. LOTS of the players in this league are highly touted AMerican college players and award winning ones at that and people love college football and always talk about how great it is. Also, lots of them come from the NFL or go to play in the NFL. Point is the talent drop off isn't even that big from the NFL relatively speaking.

jeffb 11-29-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fancylad (Post 468880)
OK. I'll respond to this because it pretty much answered the question i posed to you.

I'll concede to your point about the playoff selections (damn there's a first time for eveything i guess). They should narrow down the playoffs. Top two in each conference and that's it. However, i will disagree with you about the knock on talent. Seriously, this by all accounts is the second best professional league in the world.

Again, as i said i am not even a fan of the sport, but the athletes look damn talented to me. I often see good runs, exciting tackles, diving catches, long throws, etc. To say that the talent is piss poor just shows that you are trying to hate. LOTS of the players in this league are highly touted AMerican college players and award winning ones at that and people love college football and always talk about how great it is. Also, lots of them come from the NFL or go to play in the NFL. Point is the talent drop off isn't even that big from the NFL relatively speaking.

They look quicker imo mainly because they are playing on a much bigger field and have a lot more space to maneuver and run. Not saying there is no talent. But considering it's only an 8 team league you'd think the talent level might be higher. Another problem is the players are payed like shit for the most part.

But going back to talent, put most of these players on an NFL field and they wouldn't be able to cut it, and usually can't which is how they usually end up in the CFL.

I think they should have 10 teams if at all possible, not sure it's viable but what about the east coast? 6 playoff team out of 10 teams would be a little more respected. Anyway i look at the CFL as the minor leagues for the NFL.

And forcing teams to have a certain amount of Canadian players is imo stupid, even if it's a Canadaian based league. They should be able to sign the best talent no matter the nationality for the whole roster.

INSIDER 11-29-2010 03:21 PM

i'd like to know how the ratings were...
i was actually watching the Indy/SD game last night...:mischief:

RaptorsandBuckeye FaN 11-29-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INSIDER (Post 468890)
i'd like to know how the ratings were...
i was actually watching the Indy/SD game last night...:mischief:

SD owns the Colts for some reason. Every single time.

Random post to the topic. lol

fancylad 11-29-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 468881)
They look quicker imo mainly because they are playing on a much bigger field and have a lot more space to maneuver and run. Not saying there is no talent. But considering it's only an 8 team league you'd think the talent level might be higher. Another problem is the players are payed like shit for the most part.

But going back to talent, put most of these players on an NFL field and they wouldn't be able to cut it, and usually can't which is how they usually end up in the CFL.

ya no kidding. That's why one is the best and the other is the second best.

Basically you are saying that unless something is the best league in the world, there's no point to it right?

jeffb 11-29-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fancylad (Post 468964)
ya no kidding. That's why one is the best and the other is the second best.

Basically you are saying that unless something is the best league in the world, there's no point to it right?

Second best, is there a third option? How many professional football leagues are there?

What i'm saying is that to me the CFL is to the NFL what the D League is to the NBA. And who here watches the D League? If you have the option to watch the best league with the most talented players and one of the best run leagues, or a watered down league with a stupid playoff structure with only 8 teams and a league that dictates what the roster has to look like (so many canadian players on each roster), and other problems that i listed above why would you pick the CFL? Like i said, to me it's bush league and all i was doing was agreeing with someone else. Why no ask him why he feels this way as well. I mean, maybe he'd be more articutale in what his reasoning is. Get his perspective on it since he's the one who brought it up.

thought 11-29-2010 06:26 PM

to say the CFL is like the NFL's d-league is stupid and ignorant.

Teams 1-8 in the CFL would wipe the floor with any D1 college football team. Fact. How often do NFL guys get cut from NFL teams, come down to the CFL thinking they'll run the show and proceed to get cut? Way more often than you think. It's a different game; a lot of the time big, slow NFL guys can't catch up to a faster game, can't cover the area on a wider field, etc.

The difference between the CFL and the NFL is not talent, it's size. CFL players can do everything NFL players can, they're just nowhere near as big. Case in point - Kevin Eiben, one of the Argos' linebackers is 6 feet, 200 pounds. Brian Urlacher is 6 feet 4 inches, 260 pounds.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24