Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Other Sports (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/)
-   -   Any bowlers in the house?? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f47/any-bowlers-house-18873.html)

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 01-11-2011 01:03 PM

Any bowlers in the house??
 
I've bowled 5-pin for much of my life...it was always the thing to do at birthday parties when we 'outgrew' Chuck E Cheese(I know..who really outgrows Chuck E Cheese right??) and then when my family moved right as I started high school they put me into a 5 pin league to meet to friends in our new neighborhood and I stuck with it for about 12 years and since have played on and off, joining an adult league for a few years back in the early 2000's and now re-starting this season.

For fun my friends and I used to bowl 10 pin 'rock and bowl' at a near-by lane because we discovered they would serve us beer at the bar even though we weren't 19 :) So that became fun as well.

Anyways I'm playing in two leagues this year, a social league and a 'pro' league which is very competitive. My averages in the two leagues are 225 and 232 respectively which is pretty good for 5 pin bowling. The highlight of the year came a couple months ago when I threw a 400 game for the first time ever. For those that know bowling, 450 is the highest score possible. For a 400 I threw 5 strikes, then a 5-pin spare, followed by another 5 strikes and a 5 pins on the final ball. :) It was pretty incredible and I have a printout of the game framed on the wall above my bar because i'm sure i'll never do it again lol

Anyways, just wondering if there are any other bowlers around here? There's not much on the web for 5-pin bowlers...we're kind of like the CFL of the sport(ahem) of bowling...but I enjoy it and like talking about it :D

fancylad 01-11-2011 01:18 PM

I love bowling every now and then. I'd say i used to go twice a year, but since the kid came i have yet to go.

For the record i really suck. I can break 100 most times, but not much more. Years ago however i played one match where i was actually getting strikes and spares regularilly. I was on fire. My score ended up being in the ball park of 250. I say ballpark because I too got a print out from the alley, but it got lost a long time ago.

Acie 01-11-2011 01:27 PM

I agreed to sub occasionally on a friend of friend's 10 pin team one time. It turned into an every week thing and it was fun, but everyone took it way too seriously...smashing the ball return and/or throwing tatntrums after a bad shot.

I still like to get drunk and bowl, but like fancy I don't have too much spare time to do it anymore.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 01-11-2011 01:30 PM

Fancy...perhaps something to get your kid involved in when they are old enough :)

It remains a good social activity mainly because it's year-round, quiet enough for conversation and there's always a bar with alc and food present :)

Barracuda 01-11-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acie (Post 491352)
I agreed to sub occasionally on a friend of friend's 10 pin team one time. It turned into an every week thing and it was fun, but everyone took it way too seriously...smashing the ball return and/or throwing tatntrums after a bad shot.

I still like to get drunk and bowl, but like fancy I don't have too much spare time to do it anymore.

Punny!!

Barracuda 01-11-2011 01:31 PM

I like bowling. It's fun. Sometimes I'm really good and surprise myself, sometimes I suck.

Acie 01-11-2011 01:33 PM

Rock 'n' Bowl at The Parkway really is the best time to bowl.

Barracuda 01-11-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acie (Post 491358)
Rock 'n' Bowl at The Parkway really is the best time to bowl.

Definitely. I've had a lot of good times there. New Year's Eve a few years back, we had a hotel party and went bowling in fancy dresses and suits.

Difficult in a little dress, but fun!

Taz 01-11-2011 01:47 PM

I have bowled and I like it but I really stink at it. Still fun to go with friends though.

Belsius 01-11-2011 02:02 PM

I used to looove bowling but its quite expensive here. I used to break 150 fairly easy and I probably got 200 a couple of times. Now I only go twice a year or so and stay around 120/140 most of the time. Still love it, I should go more.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 01-11-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belsius (Post 491381)
I used to looove bowling but its quite expensive here. I used to break 150 fairly easy and I probably got 200 a couple of times. Now I only go twice a year or so and stay around 120/140 most of the time. Still love it, I should go more.

Is that 5 or 10 pin Belsius?

Belsius 01-11-2011 02:42 PM

10 pin ;) , theres no way to play 5 pin here. I didnt even know there was a 5 pin modality. I guess 150 in that style would be a pretty sick score.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 01-11-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belsius (Post 491409)
10 pin ;) , theres no way to play 5 pin here. I didnt even know there was a 5 pin modality. I guess 150 in that style would be a pretty sick score.

150 is a good score in 10 pin. In 5, it's not so great :)

Aar_Canada 01-11-2011 03:27 PM

I had a membership at Parkway for a year so I went 3 times a week. It didn't matter, I remained an average player - 180 average with a high of 224.

It is THE time and place to Purell.

INSIDER 01-11-2011 03:41 PM

I went bowling last week for shits and giggles with my friends... It was awesome, we bet on each round and the losers would have to buy beer for the group... We started off well ( my best game was 144), then with more and more beer, it got ridiculous!!! We stunk, and it was so much fun!

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 01-11-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar_Canada (Post 491445)
I had a membership at Parkway for a year so I went 3 times a week. It didn't matter, I remained an average player - 180 average with a high of 224.

It is THE time and place to Purell.

If that's 10 pin 180 is a pretty solid average. You might not make the PBA tournaments with that but it's nothing to sneeze at.

Aar_Canada 01-11-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! (Post 491450)
If that's 10 pin 180 is a pretty solid average. You might not make the PBA tournaments with that but it's nothing to sneeze at.

I was picking up my spares. I bowl straight, which is ridiculous and 180 is the limit it seems, but for a few months there, I was consistent. I can't get a hook going though, so I suck.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 01-11-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar_Canada (Post 491470)
I was picking up my spares. I bowl straight, which is ridiculous and 180 is the limit it seems, but for a few months there, I was consistent. I can't get a hook going though, so I suck.

I can't hook in 10 pin either. I use the same stance and delivery that I do for 5 :) Nothing wrong with a good straight ball! Of course I don't think anyone's ever gone pro throwing straight but i digress.

Aar_Canada 01-11-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! (Post 491476)
I can't hook in 10 pin either. I use the same stance and delivery that I do for 5 :) Nothing wrong with a good straight ball! Of course I don't think anyone's ever gone pro throwing straight but i digress.

No, and it's a huge difference from the mid to high 100's and say, a 210 or a 220. Knowing what you're doing vs. throwing a ball.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 01-11-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar_Canada (Post 491482)
No, and it's a huge difference from the mid to high 100's and say, a 210 or a 220. Knowing what you're doing vs. throwing a ball.

Totally... just didn't want you to think anything different than a 180 is a very respectable average though.

I once bowled a 252. My ex gf at the time came to bowl in the same lanes I was at...something kicked in my mind that I needed to show her up or something because for that next game I couldn't miss. Had 6 strikes in a row I think at one point, spared everything else. I kept the printout..pretty faded as that was over 13 years ago but it was fun while it lasted :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24