2010 Winter Olympics Thread - Page 10
Old 02-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #181 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,399
Representing:
Default

I remember in the summer olympics the Toronto "douchebag fuckhead writers" Sun was bashing all the Canadian athletes and comparing them to Michael Phelps acheivements.

Like really they even had stats too like:

Quote:
canadian gold: 0, Michael Phelps: 8
why can't they do better
bullshit like that.
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #182 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,694
Representing:
Default

Dutchie and that lady can go on for days and talk about how we arent getting many medals, and the reason for that is because our athletes get nothing... they dont get money from the govt that is enough to live on... these athletes all work real jobs and have to practise on their free time after work or on weekends, etc.
what do you expect?
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #183 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,454
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Wow those Albertville ones are horrible.

Vancouver medals look alot better.
yeah, i think our medals look awesome.
XiaominWu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #184 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
Dutchie and that lady can go on for days and talk about how we arent getting many medals, and the reason for that is because our athletes get nothing... they dont get money from the govt that is enough to live on... these athletes all work real jobs and have to practise on their free time after work or on weekends, etc.
what do you expect?
hockey players and skiers are pros
most of the others are pros too..aren't the Canadians full time pro curlers?
ski jumping in Norway is big, a lot of the snowboarders make money on ads and events like X games

the top people usually don't work extra jobs but the others do since they're not collecting the same money
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #185 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
those are crystal.... they look good.
better than the warped ones that Vancouver is giving out.




they look like a penny run over by a train.

I like the look of the medals. They're not cookie cutter. Apparently, the medals are puzzle pieces. If you put all the medals together, it forms a giant orca.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #186 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
Dutchie and that lady can go on for days and talk about how we arent getting many medals, and the reason for that is because our athletes get nothing... they dont get money from the govt that is enough to live on... these athletes all work real jobs and have to practise on their free time after work or on weekends, etc.
what do you expect?
The US team gets massive amounts of money in terms of funding.

I think it was the games in Athens where the Canadian athletes hardly had 2 nickles to scrape together to get themselves to the games.

Our athletes get nothing.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #187 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoKidHoops View Post
The US team gets massive amounts of money in terms of funding.

I think it was the games in Athens where the Canadian athletes hardly had 2 nickles to scrape together to get themselves to the games.

Our athletes get nothing.
don't Canadian teams have sponsors?
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #188 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 80,384
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoKidHoops View Post
I like the look of the medals. They're not cookie cutter. Apparently, the medals are puzzle pieces. If you put all the medals together, it forms a giant orca.
Look at the Calgary medals.....yikes!

jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #189 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
don't Canadian teams have sponsors?
Very few of them do.

It's nothing like what the US has.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #190 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
Dutchie and that lady can go on for days and talk about how we arent getting many medals, and the reason for that is because our athletes get nothing... they dont get money from the govt that is enough to live on... these athletes all work real jobs and have to practise on their free time after work or on weekends, etc.
what do you expect?

Own the Podium - Winter Historical Comparison ,<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<------------------- CHECK LINK

Well last four years I think the funding has bee pretty good. I don't understand exactly where they are allocated (almost 5 million for womens hockey .. geez) but I dunno whats the bitch about the number of medals. Canada has just missed top 3 placing in many sports and are just at the cusp. Canada is top 5 and does have a few gold medals.

Not reaching expectations....yes

dissapointing ... I say NO


keep funding these guys I think athletics are very very important to Canadian Self Esteem and Lifestyle.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #191 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,694
Representing:
Default

my issue is that they actually compare our medal count to that of the US team... and then call it disappointing. why dont they compare the funding instead? its crazy how much money the US team athletes get compared to our guys/gals. its not even remotely close.
thats the reason we dont come close to the US altogether.
our athletes deserve a lot of love and respect. most of them have real jobs, they dont do this for a living or train for their sport for a living, like it is in the states. its tough.
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #192 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,694
Representing:
Default

yikes... home court advantage?

link Canadian curling fans leave Danish player in tears - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #193 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
I wish the media would just give it a rest about all this own the podium and not winning medal stuff. It's pointless. People are dissapointed, but all of this analysis is overkill. Yesterday i was watching Duthie and that LaFlamme woman just go on and on about possibly 'why' Canada isn't winning medals at a record pace. I'll fucking tell you why: It's because the ski cross dude fell, it's because Hollingsworth had one bad run out of 4, it's because the the top 5-10 athletes in most sports are pretty much equal when it comes to their abilities. It's sports.... you can't guarantee wins and you can't win all the time. plain and simple.

Anyways, just because the ski cross dude fell and we don't have 9 medals doesn't mean that i haven't really enjoyed the Olympics so far and won't watch tomorrow. It REALLY isn't ALL about winning medals FFS - there's so much more to the games.

Also, most everyone will forget about the Olympics in 2 weeks and they'll go back to their normal lives of watching jeopardy at 7:30 and everything will be alright!

...oh and for the record, i've been thinking about the figure skating results and i've heard what so-called experts have had to say, and i officially back Plushenko now. That dude got robbed.... badly, badly robbed. That gold should really be his. He said in an interview that it's his dream to skate in the next Olympics in Russia and i hope he can do it. Plushenko is awesome.
I disagree. My mom was visiting me at the time so I watched all the guys skate.... and Evan L. was the ONLY one who skated a perfect performance. Plushenko struggled to land a few of his jumps and just didn't look as impressive overall IMO.

I think that the right guy won.
TORaptor4Ever is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #194 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,485
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
Jeez... that's brutal. It's not a frigging basketball game or hockey game!

Imagine if that kind of stuff went on in Golf or Tennis?

I feel pretty bad for the Danish team...
TORaptor4Ever is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #195 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,762
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I disagree. My mom was visiting me at the time so I watched all the guys skate.... and Evan L. was the ONLY one who skated a perfect performance. Plushenko struggled to land a few of his jumps and just didn't look as impressive overall IMO.

I think that the right guy won.
Thing is, the difficulty level of Lycacek's performance was minimal so the chances he'd fall or even struggle were much smaller than with Plushenko's performance. Degree of difficulty accounts for a much smaller portion of the score than it used to, so why push the envelope?
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #196 (permalink)
the go-to-guy

avatar by F1nir_
 
Mr4thQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,770
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Jeez... that's brutal. It's not a frigging basketball game or hockey game!

Imagine if that kind of stuff went on in Golf or Tennis?

I feel pretty bad for the Danish team...
yeah a bit mean

every sports has its own code

and then if you have to do it to curlers at least don't take it out on girls teams
Mr4thQuarter is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #197 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,024
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoKidHoops View Post
I like the look of the medals. They're not cookie cutter. Apparently, the medals are puzzle pieces. If you put all the medals together, it forms a giant orca.
I still don't like the look of those new medals. Why can't they just go classic and keep the design of the medals the same.
Nites is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #198 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,025
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
I guess curling gets the same pass as Golf. I could see that
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #199 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I disagree. My mom was visiting me at the time so I watched all the guys skate.... and Evan L. was the ONLY one who skated a perfect performance. Plushenko struggled to land a few of his jumps and just didn't look as impressive overall IMO.

I think that the right guy won.
Sorry TO, but no dice. Like Thought pointed out, Plushenko's performance was in a league of its own when it came to technical merit and actual skill. And i find the claim of 'struggling to land a few of his jumps' exagerrated. He landed them fine and with ease. 2 of his jumps weren't straight, but he landed them just fine. Also his quad was part of a very difficult combination with a triple on the end.

What kills me is that the judges had Plushenko and Lysecek tied with their artistic scores. So according to the judging Lysecek's skate was technically better. How on earth is that possible when he couldn't even pull off the same tricks? It just doesn't make sense man.

it's pretty funny that i'm so into this debate... i just really got into the figure skating this year.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #200 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Jeez... that's brutal. It's not a frigging basketball game or hockey game!

Imagine if that kind of stuff went on in Golf or Tennis?

I feel pretty bad for the Danish team...
I thought fans can cheer as loud as they wanted at any part of a curling match?

I don't know anything about curling, but if it was anything like tennis or golf could the officials just not have made the fans be quiet? like they could have kicked out some rowdy fans of they wanted to.

This makes me think nothing wrong happened.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24