Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Oh Canada! (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f45/)
-   -   Is Leo Rautins The Right Man To Lead Canada? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f45/leo-rautins-right-man-lead-canada-9988.html)

BRAY88 08-23-2009 06:35 PM

Is Leo Rautins The Right Man To Lead Canada?
 
Leo was brought in to coach the Canadian Senior Mens team to hopefully woo some NBA guys to play for the Canadian Team. My problem is, shouldnt it be considered an honor to play for your country and represent the Canadian flag? Why would you have to be convinced or talked into playing for your country? Something needs to change with the mindset of kids in this country to feel honor pride and play for your country. In the past with guys like Magloire, Rick Fox, and now recently Dalembert, Canada Basketball has not done an adequate job of making these guys confident enough in Canada's ability to produce quality basketball players. I believe it is changing now with all the younger players coming up through the NCAA, CIS, ETC.. but I still would like to see playing for your country as an ultimate goal and accomplishment of younger basketball players in Canada.

rapsdabest 08-23-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAY88 (Post 232147)
Leo was brought in to coach the Canadian Senior Mens team to hopefully woo some NBA guys to play for the Canadian Team. My problem is, shouldnt it be considered an honor to play for your country and represent the Canadian flag? Why would you have to be convinced or talked into playing for your country? Something needs to change with the mindset of kids in this country to feel honor pride and play for your country. In the past with guys like Magloire, Rick Fox, and now recently Dalembert, Canada Basketball has not done an adequate job of making these guys confident enough in Canada's ability to produce quality basketball players. I believe it is changing now with all the younger players coming up through the NCAA, CIS, ETC.. but I still would like to see playing for your country as an ultimate goal and accomplishment of younger basketball players in Canada.

Quite frankly, Canada isn't a ery good basketball country. The population is around 35 million and there isn't a lot of talent. Steve Nash shouldn't waste hist ime with Team Canada until we get a second star NBA cliber player. I like Joel Anthony at center. He's a good defensive big man that is fast. I doubt Canada will make the Olympics until we get another high caliber player.

Dark Knight 08-23-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAY88 (Post 232147)
Leo was brought in to coach the Canadian Senior Mens team to hopefully woo some NBA guys to play for the Canadian Team. My problem is, shouldnt it be considered an honor to play for your country and represent the Canadian flag? Why would you have to be convinced or talked into playing for your country? Something needs to change with the mindset of kids in this country to feel honor pride and play for your country. In the past with guys like Magloire, Rick Fox, and now recently Dalembert, Canada Basketball has not done an adequate job of making these guys confident enough in Canada's ability to produce quality basketball players. I believe it is changing now with all the younger players coming up through the NCAA, CIS, ETC.. but I still would like to see playing for your country as an ultimate goal and accomplishment of younger basketball players in Canada.

If anything, he is scaring Canadians away. Look at Steve Nash for example. A proud Canadian basketball player a few years ago. Triano out, Rautins in. Now no more Nash, for that reason.

jeffb 08-23-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 232203)
If anything, he is scaring Canadians away. Look at Steve Nash for example. A proud Canadian basketball player a few years ago. Triano out, Rautins in. Now no more Nash, for that reason.

Nash was saying no before Leo took over a few years ago.

DuCa00795 08-23-2009 11:08 PM

I still don't like how he kicked Dalembart off the squad. Especially since Dalembart went through all the trouble to become Canadian.

Dann38 08-23-2009 11:10 PM

Long term Rautins probably isn't the man for the job. He's basically holding it down until the young guys come through the pipeline.
Maybe he'll develop as a coach along the way, while the talent improves and be suitable to continue in the future.
The problem with basketball in Canada isn't coaching anyway. It's funding to properly develop talent. Didn't the National Development Program for youngsters run out of money and get cancelled last spring? I've been paying my annual membership to Canada Basketball, how many others have bothered?

BRAY88 08-23-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dann38 (Post 232216)
Long term Rautins probably isn't the man for the job. He's basically holding it down until the young guys come through the pipeline.
Maybe he'll develop as a coach along the way, while the talent improves and be suitable to continue in the future.
The problem with basketball in Canada isn't coaching anyway. It's funding to properly develop talent. Didn't the National Development Program for youngsters run out of money and get cancelled last spring? I've been paying my annual membership to Canada Basketball, how many others have bothered?


As far as Leo goes, I do wonder how many people realize the extent he's gone to in order to have top assistants. For example, he has a Cleveland Cavaliers assistant and a club coach from the top levels of European ball on the bench with him along with a Canadian. Plus, you've got a major figure in the world of hoops as managing director.

In regards to Jay helping USA Basketball I think that's great!!! It's common in international ball to have citizens of other countries coach teams. Look at Gordie Herbert (mentioned above.) He was head coach of (the country, not state) Georgia. (Former men's national team head coach) Ken Shields has coached with at least three different additional national programs. The more Canadians making a name for themselves coaching around the world the better!

In terms of guys wanting to play a long time for Canada on the senior team... These guys are mostly pros on their summer vacations. Even countries that have had guys enjoy great success for a long time have a hard time getting them to keep coming out.

Look at Argentina right now. They may have two of their top-seven guys playing. These Tournament of Americas are absolutely crazy. You can play 10 games in 12 days - 10 games in 11 days if you get a first day bye (and Canada does in PR.) And for a country like Canada the best players have to play huge minutes to win. The fact Steve played as long as he did was amazing.

The other (sad) fact is that Canada Basketball has so little money it can make conditions less than optimal (which apparently Sammy didn't enjoy for example.) Frankly, my guess is the coaches are getting paid far, far, far less than market value too.

Given the current funding situation, my hope is Canada can somehow can get about 25 imminent/current top-level Europe/NBDL/NBA players involved in the senior program and thus have options for major events when not everyone is available.

Long-term of course, it would be nice to actually have competitive money eh...

As for whether Leo stays on as coach, time will tell. But, I think it's only fair to look at the context he is operating in.

Dann38 08-23-2009 11:43 PM

Steve Nash more than paid his dues to the National Program.
Sam Dalembert is lucky to be a Canadian. Hell, he can't even get along with the organization in Philly. Fuck him. I'm glad Leo kicked his ass off the team.
I watched Rick Fox play for Canada at the World Championships in Toronto in 1994. He was smooth as silk. Nash was starting at 19 on that team.
The current state of Canadian ball is shameful. I wish we took more pride in it as a nation. But hey, how about those new Canada hockey jerseys for the Olympics?:dead:

BRAY88 08-24-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dann38 (Post 232235)
Steve Nash more than paid his dues to the National Program.
Sam Dalembert is lucky to be a Canadian. Hell, he can't even get along with the organization in Philly. Fuck him. I'm glad Leo kicked his ass off the team.
I watched Rick Fox play for Canada at the World Championships in Toronto in 1994. He was smooth as silk. Nash was starting at 19 on that team.
The current state of Canadian ball is shameful. I wish we took more pride in it as a nation. But hey, how about those new Canada hockey jerseys for the Olympics?:dead:

Whats hockey?

rapsdabest 08-24-2009 09:34 PM

Did Rasho get his Candian passport yet?

Dark Knight 08-25-2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dann38 (Post 232235)
Steve Nash more than paid his dues to the National Program.
Sam Dalembert is lucky to be a Canadian. Hell, he can't even get along with the organization in Philly. Fuck him. I'm glad Leo kicked his ass off the team.
I watched Rick Fox play for Canada at the World Championships in Toronto in 1994. He was smooth as silk. Nash was starting at 19 on that team.
The current state of Canadian ball is shameful. I wish we took more pride in it as a nation. But hey, how about those new Canada hockey jerseys for the Olympics?:dead:

No worries, Dann, I'll bring pride back to Canadian basketball. :dancing:

zachus 08-25-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapsdabest (Post 232739)
Did Rasho get his Candian passport yet?

Who knows, but his son is Canadian.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24