Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Questions & Suggestions (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f3/)
-   -   Suggestion (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f3/suggestion-1057.html)

jumplvlan23 03-03-2008 10:38 PM

Suggestion
 
Hey, I have a little suggestion which would make the board a bit more appealing.

I think it needs a bit of a face-lift. For example, the columns to the extreme left and right are not really necessary. It makes the screen seem a bit cramped up. Maybe if you got rid of it, the forum would be a little easier on the eyes.

:peace:

lang 03-03-2008 11:46 PM

Which columns are you talking about, Jump?

jumplvlan23 03-03-2008 11:54 PM

The blue "columns" on either side of the page. The background basically.

lang 03-03-2008 11:58 PM

What resolution is your monitor set to?

They aren't really columns, per se. Even if I removed the blue and left it as white, they would still show up as columns. It all depends on the resolution of your monitor. Those viewers with lower resolutions won't see anything. As for me, I have a widescreen monitor so I see more.

The main forum tables are set to a certain width. If I made the forum any wider, it would be more difficult for viewers to read because sentences would be too long.

How does it show up on your screen?

jumplvlan23 03-04-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lang (Post 15085)
What resolution is your monitor set to?

They aren't really columns, per se. Even if I removed the blue and left it as white, they would still show up as columns. It all depends on the resolution of your monitor. Those viewers with lower resolutions won't see anything. As for me, I have a widescreen monitor so I see more.

The main forum tables are set to a certain width. If I made the forum any wider, it would be more difficult for viewers to read because sentences would be too long.

How does it show up on your screen?

Well my resolution is 1024 x 768.
It seems a bit cramped up on my screen.
I'd say that 50% of the screen is the blue "bars", and 50% is the actual forum. (25% bars on each side). I don't know if that is clear for you lol. I suck at computer language.

Belsius 03-04-2008 12:09 AM

I have like 40% of blue bars lol, the good thing of keeping it simple like now, is that the forum works much faster.

lang 03-04-2008 12:09 AM

Yup, I totally understand.

The only thing I can do is make the forum wider, but again, that will only make it more difficult for you to read because sentences become very long. That's why you'll find newspapers and magazines using thinner columns. Each sentence is probably no more than 6 - 10 words, making it super easy to read.

Here is an example of a message board with extra wide columns. Try reading some paragraphs and you'll see what I mean. :)

jumplvlan23 03-04-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lang (Post 15093)
Yup, I totally understand.

The only thing I can do is make the forum wider, but again, that will only make it more difficult for you to read because sentences become very long. That's why you'll find newspapers and magazines using thinner columns. Each sentence is probably no more than 6 - 10 words, making it super easy to read.

Here is an example of a message board with extra wide columns. Try reading some paragraphs and you'll see what I mean. :)

That's actually how I like it lol.
But I'm probably in the minority, so I'm not complaining.

lang 03-04-2008 12:27 AM

Lol, it really does come down to a preference. :)

For me, that website stretches out across my entire screen and I'm at 1440 width. It feels like I'm chasing words down!

jumplvlan23 03-04-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lang (Post 15104)
Lol, it really does come down to a preference. :)

For me, that website stretches out across my entire screen and I'm at 1440 width. It feels like I'm chasing words down!

True. I could see why you don't want to stretch it all the way. But I thought maybe a little more stretch would be better. But I don't know how the rest of the board feels so I'm okay with whatever.

INSIDER 03-04-2008 10:50 AM

blue bars???
how the heck do you guys have 40% and 50% blue bars...?
those bars are like 2% on my screen.
thats weird.

Raptorman 03-04-2008 11:14 AM

I have a 21" Widescreen monitor. The "blue bars" are 3" on either side.

The forum is set to 800pix width. If you stretch it, it will get all goofy looking.

I'm a fan of "readable" forums. Too many add all this css colouring crap and moving icons, signatures and flashy shyte, that just reading peoples post is a nightmare.

I like how this forum is easy to read and simple to get around.

And if someone needs all that glare and sizzle, they probably dont belong here. We're a "meat and potatoes" crowd.

Dr. J. Naismith 03-04-2008 11:29 AM

haha ... love the "Meat & Potatoes" reference Raptorman. :haha:

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion jumpman and I encourage others to make suggestions too even if it nothing doesn't necessarily happens. You just never know. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24