Yet another sad story. - Page 2
Old 10-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Okay, lets do some roleplaying here, shall we:

Lets say you are this kid, and your 18 years old and are at your first year at college. You don't know many people and your a thousand miles away from home. Nobody knows you're gay because you think nobody will accept you if they find out. So one day you decide to bring a guy up to your dorm. Later, you find out the whole session was taped and is now all over the internet.

How can you not feel like the world is ending if that happened?
that situation is bad
but you made it sound like all gay people have bad reps and are social outcasts because they are gay
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Okay, lets do some roleplaying here, shall we:

Lets say you are this kid, and your 18 years old and are at your first year at college. You don't know many people and your a thousand miles away from home. Nobody knows you're gay because you think nobody will accept you if they find out. So one day you decide to bring a guy up to your dorm. Later, you find out the whole session was taped and is now all over the internet.

How can you not feel like the world is ending if that happened?
You're exactly right. I really don't think it's necessary to have 'serious mental issues' in order to decide that you just want what you might consider a horrible problem to go away.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
waiting for the sun to come out so he can let his guns out.

Jamario Moon!
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,457
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
Dark knight you use way too much logic for a kid. Go smoke some drugs, tone it down a bit
My bad.
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.


 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 11,461
Representing:
Default

i'm sorry, i may be in the minority here, but i think anyone who openly decides to take their life does have a mental issue.
im not saying they are crazy, or should be put in a loony bin... but theres something in their head that is not right. something that is missing, something that effects the way they can cope and deal with stress; a mental issue.

you guys are misinterpreting the definition of 'mental issue', i dont mean that it equals 'crazy', i just mean that he had one.
INSIDER is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
waiting for the sun to come out so he can let his guns out.

Jamario Moon!
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,457
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
i'm sorry, i may be in the minority here, but i think anyone who openly decides to take their life does have a mental issue.
im not saying they are crazy, or should be put in a loony bin... but theres something in their head that is not right. something that is missing, something that effects the way they can cope and deal with stress; a mental issue.

you guys are misinterpreting the definition of 'mental issue', i dont mean that it equals 'crazy', i just mean that he had one.
I'm not denying he has any mental issues. In fact, he could very well have developed some type of mental illness before he got to college. But just because he committed suicide, doesn't mean we should all jump to the conclusion that he had a "mental issue" without any further information on that matter.
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,613
Representing:
Default

it's impossible for anyone here to even comprehend what was going on in this kid's head when he jumped off the cliff. anyone who's willing to take their own life is far beyond rationality and reason. there were things going on in this kid's head.
thought is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought View Post
it's impossible for anyone here to even comprehend what was going on in this kid's head when he jumped off the cliff. anyone who's willing to take their own life is far beyond rationality and reason. there were things going on in this kid's head.
Obviously, but not necessarily before this happened. Being outed and exposed in such a way (and who knows how his family might have felt) could very well be THE traumatic event that triggers the absence of rationality and reason. So yeah, he most likely wasn't thinking straight, but that doesn't mean this was the culmination of a miriad of previous issues. It's like those CEO's who kill themselves after they've become financially ruined. If you think your whole life is crumbling around you, that could be enough.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,515
Representing:
Default

gay kids kill themselves in large numbers relative to other groups. it may not be a direct link, but certainly an indirect link, and clearly related to feeling persecuted and hopeless. It's one thing to be gay and dealing with coming out of the closet, and another to just be a kid and dealing with all kinds of shit that comes with that. I know that when I was this kid's age that I had suicidal thoughts. I'm pretty sure that isn't uncommon. It's just a time where a person's sense of self-worth can be pretty fragile while feeling all kinds of outside pressures. I can't imagine the effect of being outcast for your sexual orientation placed on top of that.

That doesn't mean the dweebs that fucked this kid over are murderers, but it does point to the need for greater acceptance still among society at large (even though the acceptance today is so far and beyond what there was not long ago).

Dan Savage has put together a pretty cool youtube channel directed at the recent influx in teen gay suicides. Not a bad idea for any young person to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/itgetsbetterproject
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
saying Go Bucks, Raptors, 49ers, Reds and Blue Jackets!

Senior Member
 
RaptorsandBuckeye FaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,851
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
This part right here got me. Twitter is a viral world. You would think somebody would care enough to meet him at the George Washington bridge to try and stop him.
There was no chance. He took his computer and hook it up some how in his car. Posted that right before he jumped off so nobody could of gotten to him in time.

Sad story.
RaptorsandBuckeye FaN is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
is on that grind

Senior Member
 
jumplvlan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,053
Representing:
Default

To all the people who are saying that the two kids should be charged for something like manslaughter is RIDICULOUS.

What did these two kids do exactly? They didn't even INSULT their gay roommate! The roommate was just so insecure about his own sexuality that he took his own life. How can you pin such a serious charge on two kids? I'm sure if this was a situation where a boy was kissing a girl, and he committed suicide because it was taped, the hate against these "tapers" would be non-existent. It is downright STUPID to take your on life.

Sure they made a mistake, they are kids. I'm sure as hell though that they didn't mean for things to end up the way it did.

Committing suicide is the most coward thing to do. This kid who committed suicide should not be seen as an angel here who we all must pity. If he were going through some REAL problems maybe I would understand. But to take your own life because you were embarrassed by something you did? That's not something you blame on anyone else but the "suicider"
jumplvlan23 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
is on that grind

Senior Member
 
jumplvlan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,053
Representing:
Default

I know tonnes of gay people who are proud to be gay. Tyler clearly wasn't, and his actions have ruined the lives of SO many more people, such as his family, the other two kids, and their families. It's not just one life we have to look at, but how this case resonates with everyone else involved. The actions of these two kids, by NO MEANS, deserves the penalty that they are receiving.

Keep in mind I am saying all this under the assumption that nothing else was at work, and the cause of this suicide was strictly based on this "taped video." If so, Tyler is a coward plain and simple.
jumplvlan23 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumplvlan23 View Post
I know tonnes of gay people who are proud to be gay. Tyler clearly wasn't, and his actions have ruined the lives of SO many more people, such as his family, the other two kids, and their families. It's not just one life we have to look at, but how this case resonates with everyone else involved. The actions of these two kids, by NO MEANS, deserves the penalty that they are receiving.

Keep in mind I am saying all this under the assumption that nothing else was at work, and the cause of this suicide was strictly based on this "taped video." If so, Tyler is a coward plain and simple.
:facepalm:

Makes me ill when people say such things.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

I've been trying to stay out of this thread because I didn't want to lose my head... but some of you just don't quite get it.

As straight males, you guys can NOT comprehend what it's like to be a young gay guy in a society where that still isn't as accepted as it should be. Maybe I'm no expert, but some of my best friends are gay, I worked at a specifically gay radio station, I lived in the gay village... I have stories about their hardships that you would likely not even believe.

One my oldest friends is gay. Before he ever let it be known (though people all assumed), he was terrorized by other guys in our highschool. They made his life absolute hell. It damaged him to the point that he became physically ill and left school for a year. He couldn't face it, or handle it. When he came back, he was a different person. He felt like he had to change himself in order to stop the attacks.

It's taken a long time for him to be ok, and he had it easier than some others.

All I'm saying is that you don't understand what Tyler had to deal with. You don't know what went through his head. So while suicide is horrible and affects so many people, and is a waste.... he felt it was his only option. Do you know what that feels like, those of you who want to call him a coward or look down on him?
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Barracuda's correct.

Even in the broader issue of suicide, there are a lot of people who think that it's a cowardly act. That tells me a few things. First, they're insensitive and haven't a clue how to put themselves in other peoples shoes. Also, they've probably never experienced the type of depression which, in some cases, leads to something that, whether they like it or not, each human being has total control over and a right to - the decision to live or to die.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
........

Senior Member
 
MrClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,370
Representing:
Default

i dont see why either one of them couldn't have requested to switch roommates couldnt that have solved everything?
MrClutch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,832
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
I've been trying to stay out of this thread because I didn't want to lose my head... but some of you just don't quite get it.

As straight males, you guys can NOT comprehend what it's like to be a young gay guy in a society where that still isn't as accepted as it should be. Maybe I'm no expert, but some of my best friends are gay, I worked at a specifically gay radio station, I lived in the gay village... I have stories about their hardships that you would likely not even believe.

One my oldest friends is gay. Before he ever let it be known (though people all assumed), he was terrorized by other guys in our highschool. They made his life absolute hell. It damaged him to the point that he became physically ill and left school for a year. He couldn't face it, or handle it. When he came back, he was a different person. He felt like he had to change himself in order to stop the attacks.

It's taken a long time for him to be ok, and he had it easier than some others.

All I'm saying is that you don't understand what Tyler had to deal with. You don't know what went through his head. So while suicide is horrible and affects so many people, and is a waste.... he felt it was his only option. Do you know what that feels like, those of you who want to call him a coward or look down on him?
This post is so accurate that it broke SJ's genius meter. He will have to buy a new one.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #37 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,189
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
yes, and? because of being disowned you commit suicide?
Bel is on the money here TO, anyone who commits suicide has to have some serious mental issues, including this poor young man.
It's true.
Nites is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairGM View Post
This post is so accurate that it broke SJ's genius meter. He will have to buy a new one.
I've broken that thing so many times, he asked me to never speak or write again.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #39 (permalink)
Truth

Member
 
Cory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 257
Representing:
Default

My heart goes out to both the victim and the criminals.

I dedicate this song to Tyler and his assailants:


Shadowplay - By Joy Division:

To the centre of the city where all roads meet, waiting for you
To the depths of the ocean where all hopes sank, searching for you
I was moving through the silence without motion, waiting for you
In a room without window in the corner, I found truth

In the shadowplay, acting out your own death, knowing no more
As the assassins all grouped in four lines, dancing on the floor
And with cold steel, odour on their bodies made a move to connect
But I could only stare in disbelief as the crowds all left

I did everything, everything I wanted to
I let them use you for their own ends
To the centre of the city in the night, waiting for you
To the centre of the city in the night, waiting for you
Cory is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,515
Representing:
Default

Funny sympatico there - I thought of Joy Division's Isolation.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24