Toronto Mayoral Race - Page 11
Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #201 (permalink)
mirin' Gao-sthetics

Distributor of Swag
 
CommunistCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memory Lane
Posts: 796
Representing:
Default

I don't want my mayor to stand out. I could care less for my mayor to represent me in an 'approvable manner' (No politician on earth can possibly 'embody' a Torontonian).

I want my mayor to work for me. I could care less about his personal views on matters. I care about what happens when the chips are down... when he's negotiating with the province, the federal gov't, the unions. At the end of the day the city we see is the result of those bargaining sessions.
CommunistCrunch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #202 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,001
Representing:
Default

I don't see Ford as a racist. I see a guy that drops things out of his mouth that end up being bombs. I never seen Ford go on the streets in Toronto and start Gay bashing. You may not like the character of Ford but calling him a Racist and Gay basher I think is going way too far.

In other news Rossi drops out giving the Toronto Star more power to rep their "boy"
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #203 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
I don't see Ford as a racist. I see a guy that drops things out of his mouth that end up being bombs. I never seen Ford go on the streets in Toronto and start Gay bashing. You may not like the character of Ford but calling him a Racist and Gay basher I think is going way too far.

In other news Rossi drops out giving the Toronto Star more power to rep their "boy"

Quote:
Ford stated that "(AIDS) is very preventable," and that "if you are not doing needles and you are not gay, you wouldn't get AIDS probably, that's bottom line."[29] With respect to the increasing rates of women contracting the disease, Ford said; "How are women getting it? Maybe they are sleeping with bisexual men."[29]
^ Yeah, no gay bashing there.

Quote:
"that's why they're successful in life. ... I'm telling you, Oriental people, they're slowly taking over"

^ No racism there.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #204 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke
 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 9,075
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
I don't see Ford as a racist. I see a guy that drops things out of his mouth that end up being bombs. I never seen Ford go on the streets in Toronto and start Gay bashing. You may not like the character of Ford but calling him a Racist and Gay basher I think is going way too far.

In other news Rossi drops out giving the Toronto Star more power to rep their "boy"
So he's Joe Biden?

In all seriousness, fiscal responsibility is key. I don't think anyone here could seriously say that it isn't important.

However, from what I've read about the man and his policies, he's simply speaking to the popular sentiment but has no evidence or real or true plan in place. He's running this as a popularity contest and not a political contest.

All I'd like to see from Ford is an actual gameplan. Show what is your strategy? How do you plan to fix alot of the problems? Infrastructure needs to be repaired. Is that going to be cut? If so, what about the job losses that would inflict? He's already gone on record about his feelings on festivals/events etc. What about the additional revenue that generates? He needs to quit speaking to what people THINK they want and think about the bigger picture.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #205 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
So he's Joe Biden?

In all seriousness, fiscal responsibility is key. I don't think anyone here could seriously say that it isn't important.

However, from what I've read about the man and his policies, he's simply speaking to the popular sentiment but has no evidence or real or true plan in place. He's running this as a popularity contest and not a political contest.

All I'd like to see from Ford is an actual gameplan. Show what is your strategy? How do you plan to fix alot of the problems? Infrastructure needs to be repaired. Is that going to be cut? If so, what about the job losses that would inflict? He's already gone on record about his feelings on festivals/events etc. What about the additional revenue that generates? He needs to quit speaking to what people THINK they want and think about the bigger picture.
+100000000000000

He says what people want to hear in the moment. Perfect example of this was the marathon a couple weeks ago, people complained about traffic. He then said he'd move the marathons to parks....

WTF was that bright idea before?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #206 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,990
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
+100000000000000

He says what people want to hear in the moment. Perfect example of this was the marathon a couple weeks ago, people complained about traffic. He then said he'd move the marathons to parks....

WTF was that bright idea before?
Jeff I'm curious, aside from shitty on anything, what would you like to see? I can nail down where almost everyone on here stands on issues, all I know from you is,you can quote wiki and, you don't like Ford.

So Jeff, I'm curious, and I'm asking you. What does your Toronto look like? Where do you stand on the TTC? Jobs? Unions? Economy?

You have provided very little substance here, and I would like you to contribute to the conversation.....so take it away Jeff.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #207 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Banned
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,952
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Jeff I'm curious, aside from shitty on anything, what would you like to see? I can nail down where almost everyone on here stands on issues, all I know from you is,you can quote wiki and, you don't like Ford.

So Jeff, I'm curious, and I'm asking you. What does your Toronto look like? Where do you stand on the TTC? Jobs? Unions? Economy?

You have provided very little substance here, and I would like you to contribute to the conversation.....so take it away Jeff.
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #208 (permalink)
Kuzzy
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Jeff I'm curious, aside from shitty on anything, what would you like to see? I can nail down where almost everyone on here stands on issues, all I know from you is,you can quote wiki and, you don't like Ford.

So Jeff, I'm curious, and I'm asking you. What does your Toronto look like? Where do you stand on the TTC? Jobs? Unions? Economy?

You have provided very little substance here, and I would like you to contribute to the conversation.....so take it away Jeff.
I think Jeff was successful in eluding to my attack on Ford's character. He provided quotations which is proof, thus providing substance to my argument.
So Benz, where do YOU stand on TTC?
Do you think Ford's transportation plan is reasonable? Can you layout the financial details for us? How DO we know that Rob will walk his talk without realistic stats to back up these plans?

Ford speaks of these great ideas, that people want to hear. But not once, has he backed it up with REALISTIC stats.

Back up these 'great' economical ideas with some proof, showing that they are actually possible.

Last edited by Kuzzy; 10-14-2010 at 04:13 PM.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #209 (permalink)
Kuzzy
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistCrunch View Post
I don't want my mayor to stand out. I could care less for my mayor to represent me in an 'approvable manner' (No politician on earth can possibly 'embody' a Torontonian).

I want my mayor to work for me. I could care less about his personal views on matters. I care about what happens when the chips are down... when he's negotiating with the province, the federal gov't, the unions. At the end of the day the city we see is the result of those bargaining sessions.


Unfortunately, Ford's idiocy will make him stand out. And not in a positive way.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #210 (permalink)
Kuzzy
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
I don't see Ford as a racist. I see a guy that drops things out of his mouth that end up being bombs. I never seen Ford go on the streets in Toronto and start Gay bashing. You may not like the character of Ford but calling him a Racist and Gay basher I think is going way too far.

In other news Rossi drops out giving the Toronto Star more power to rep their "boy"
And that makes it okay? I guess he just didn't mean to blame gay people for being responsible for aids... it must have just came out of his mouth by accident...
Awful refutation.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #211 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Hahhh, someone says ford isn't a homophobe or a racist and i post somethings in his own words that shows he likely is and i'm asked to do an essay on what my Toronto would look like? Oh brother!
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #212 (permalink)
Kuzzy
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

A bit hypocritical if you ask me. Benzo has yet to provide us with any reasonable 'substance'.
All you've done so far is call people out.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #213 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
A bit hypocritical if you ask me. Benzo has yet to provide us with any reasonable 'substance'.
All you've done so far is call people out.
Honestly, who cares. I don't like Rob Ford for various reasons and think he would be horrible for this city, his character is questionable at best and i wouldn't trust him with anything. That's it. So what i think about the unions or TTC means fuck all. I won't vote for Ford. And i shutter at the thought that idiot might get voted in.

Last edited by jeffb; 10-14-2010 at 04:40 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #214 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,990
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
A bit hypocritical if you ask me. Benzo has yet to provide us with any reasonable 'substance'.
All you've done so far is call people out.
Yep I did Kuzzy...

I have stayed away from this thread mostly because politics, tends to bring out the worst in people. Trust me when I say that most people on here, know exactly where I stand on most issues.

Outside of some tongue and cheek remarks I have not defended or criticized anyone running, because quite frankly I think they are all not qualified to be the mayor of this city.

(I will not be voting for Rob Ford, that may surprise most, and its not why most think)

With that caveat, he has been a victim of a smear campaign by most Toronto media. Is it justified....sure maybe, I just wish they acted on a even playing field.

I think we have way too many counsellors in this city, there is far too politicking being done and not enough work. David Miller was not a gay bashing, racist, jackass, he did however manage to set this city back a few years by overspending, cow-towing to unions and mis-managment of my money. Thats right MY money. I biggest issue which I have stated in this thread, is when people have enough Gall, to tell me what is right for me.

'Trane, Claudius, LX....I disagree with these guys all the time, but you know what they don't do, they don't preach, and I respect them for their views because they are based in some kind of informed and self made opinion.

What you and Jeff have done is become regurgitating sheep with no real opinions of your own that you can't dig up NOW magazine or a wiki page.

I have very low opinions of most politicians "right" and "left", especially during election time, because guess what....THEY WILL ALL MAKE PROMISES THEY HAVE NO INTENTION OF KEEPING, they will all spew whatever is popular at the time, and ya know what? Thats their job...thats the system we have.

In short Kuzzy...please do not challenge me on the issues, don't question my ability to have an argument if I choose too. I just like to have intelligent discussions with people who's opinions have not been forced on them, but have had the foresight to develop their own.

I have a feeling even if I gave you and Jeff a shot....I wouldn't learn anything I couldn't read in todays paper.

In short....Bite me...
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #215 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
In short....Bite me...
Back atcha.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #216 (permalink)
#NorthernUprising

6 Man Like Lou Will
 
js12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O.
Posts: 5,629
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
I don't see Ford as a racist. I see a guy that drops things out of his mouth that end up being bombs. I never seen Ford go on the streets in Toronto and start Gay bashing. You may not like the character of Ford but calling him a Racist and Gay basher I think is going way too far.

In other news Rossi drops out giving the Toronto Star more power to rep their "boy"
Ford did make racist comments, not once but on several different occasions.

If you're a "majority", then it may be hard to see the connection or feel offended. But as a "minority", I'm offended by these comments. I don't want someone like that running Toronto, which has a reputation of being a multicultural city.
js12 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #217 (permalink)
Kuzzy
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Yep I did Kuzzy...

I have stayed away from this thread mostly because politics, tends to bring out the worst in people. Trust me when I say that most people on here, know exactly where I stand on most issues.

Outside of some tongue and cheek remarks I have not defended or criticized anyone running, because quite frankly I think they are all not qualified to be the mayor of this city.

(I will not be voting for Rob Ford, that may surprise most, and its not why most think)

With that caveat, he has been a victim of a smear campaign by most Toronto media. Is it justified....sure maybe, I just wish they acted on a even playing field.

I think we have way too many counsellors in this city, there is far too politicking being done and not enough work. David Miller was not a gay bashing, racist, jackass, he did however manage to set this city back a few years by overspending, cow-towing to unions and mis-managment of my money. Thats right MY money. I biggest issue which I have stated in this thread, is when people have enough Gall, to tell me what is right for me.

'Trane, Claudius, LX....I disagree with these guys all the time, but you know what they don't do, they don't preach, and I respect them for their views because they are based in some kind of informed and self made opinion.

What you and Jeff have done is become regurgitating sheep with no real opinions of your own that you can't dig up NOW magazine or a wiki page.

I have very low opinions of most politicians "right" and "left", especially during election time, because guess what....THEY WILL ALL MAKE PROMISES THEY HAVE NO INTENTION OF KEEPING, they will all spew whatever is popular at the time, and ya know what? Thats their job...thats the system we have.

In short Kuzzy...please do not challenge me on the issues, don't question my ability to have an argument if I choose too. I just like to have intelligent discussions with people who's opinions have not been forced on them, but have had the foresight to develop their own.

I have a feeling even if I gave you and Jeff a shot....I wouldn't learn anything I couldn't read in todays paper.

In short....Bite me...


Ok, so the only 'substance' I got from this post was:

"I think we have way too many counsellors in this city, there is far too politicking being done and not enough work. David Miller was not a gay bashing, racist, jackass, he did however manage to set this city back a few years by overspending, cow-towing to unions and mis-managment of my money. Thats right MY money. I biggest issue which I have stated in this thread, is when people have enough Gall, to tell me what is right for me."

Not much really, could have read the same rant on the Toronto Star. Unfortunately, this post alone wont convince me that you are any more intelligent/politcally aware than I am.


What you and Jeff have done is become regurgitating sheep with no real opinions of your own that you can't dig up NOW magazine or a wiki page.

Regurgitating sheep? my opinion is based on fact. I do not respect Ford as a person at all. Yes it may seem redundant, but my argument is valid whether you like it or not.
Honestly, you have barely contributed to this conversation yourself. In short... don't call others out when you have yet to make a legitimate point...
regardless of how wise you think you are.

And sorry, I don't bite

Last edited by Kuzzy; 10-14-2010 at 09:05 PM.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #218 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,990
Representing:
Default

*Le sigh*...
:facepalm:
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #219 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,001
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
So he's Joe Biden?

In all seriousness, fiscal responsibility is key. I don't think anyone here could seriously say that it isn't important.

However, from what I've read about the man and his policies, he's simply speaking to the popular sentiment but has no evidence or real or true plan in place. He's running this as a popularity contest and not a political contest.

All I'd like to see from Ford is an actual gameplan. Show what is your strategy? How do you plan to fix alot of the problems? Infrastructure needs to be repaired. Is that going to be cut? If so, what about the job losses that would inflict? He's already gone on record about his feelings on festivals/events etc. What about the additional revenue that generates? He needs to quit speaking to what people THINK they want and think about the bigger picture.
To me he is the best of a bad situation. I hear cost certainty, less councilors and Subways over Streetcars I'm getting giddy because this city has never had such policies in place.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
And that makes it okay? I guess he just didn't mean to blame gay people for being responsible for aids... it must have just came out of his mouth by accident...
Awful refutation.
Again, we talking about a guy who easily throws his mouth out. Personally I would have loved to see Rossi in the running but Ford I believe is the better choice to at least control the spending of the city. His slips of the tongue will be fewer and far between than the slippery snake of the other frontrunner. I'm more concerned of a city to live to its means than over it than talking about sound bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12 View Post
Ford did make racist comments, not once but on several different occasions.

If you're a "majority", then it may be hard to see the connection or feel offended. But as a "minority", I'm offended by these comments. I don't want someone like that running Toronto, which has a reputation of being a multicultural city.

I'll say this much ... In my eyes Ford is the best of a bad situation. He is a transparent dude that easily slips of the tongue. I'd rather have someone transparent than a slippery snake if we are talking about character.


What people have to remember is that the power of a Mayor is nominal to that of what Provincials and Feds have to deal with. Without those two levels of government Toronto would be able to do nothing. What people in this city have to do is vote for a federal and provincial gov't that will actually invest in this city. It hasn't been done for years and if it doesn't start the infostructure will go to the dumps. A mayor should be put in place to control spending and take out the garbage. Something I really believe Ford will do best.

I really don't know how much more I can say this. Talking about these sound bites is really a waste of time.

No one really knew what Rossi's platform was. He only created some buzz with his stupid Allen Rd. proposal which really was laughed at.

This is what is concerning
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #220 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
I hear cost certainty
then clearly you haven't taken a serious look at his financial proposal.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24