Stop the world, I want to get off.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
thinking Stephen Harper has got to go.

Senior Member
 
lonewolfpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 1,236
Representing:
Default Stop the world, I want to get off.

This sad world just keeps getting crazier and crazier. The bible says money is the root of all evil and that may be true, but lawyers are a close second.

Teen babysitter sued over fire - Yahoo! Canada News
lonewolfpoet is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,089
Representing:
Default

Awesome.

Add insurance companies to the list of evil as well.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
enjoying having the keys to destiny

perusing ancient database
 
ClingRap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The far side of the Universe.
Posts: 1,846
Representing:
Default

fuck. disgusting. awful.
ClingRap is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,728
Representing:
Default

Lovely.

Poor girl. Babysitting at 12 is hard enough, but to be sued because it? Jesus.

And this Douglas guy must've REALLY pissed off his parents when he was younger, if they're so quick to sue their own son now.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,089
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post

And this Douglas guy must've REALLY pissed off his parents when he was younger, if they're so quick to sue their own son now.
Sounds like he lives in a trailer on their property. Maybe this is their attempt to get him to leave the nest?
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,728
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Sounds like he lives in a trailer on their property. Maybe this is their attempt to get him to leave the nest?
Totally. They should've just sued HIS ass and left the poor kid out of it.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,731
Representing:
Default

They say money's the root of all evil but I can't tell
YouknowhatImean, pesos, francs, yens, cowrie shells, dollar bills
Or is it the mindstate that's ill?
Creating crime rates to fill the new prisons they build
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

i can't believe what i am reading here. this kind of stuff grinds my gears, big time. and i'm talking about the responses in this thread, not the story.

first, to lwp's point that lawyers are evil, or at least at the root of it... what gives you the right to tar and feather an entire profession? what about human rights lawyers? or public defenders? or the office of the public guardian and trustee that acts on behalf of kids when their parents are too selfish to look out for their best interests? or what about the lawyers that come to save your ass when you get in a troubling situation, either of your own fault or because you are caught up in something beyond your control? there are countless fantastic and underappreciated lawyers out there that are tirelessly working on behalf of the marginalized and underpriviledged, and tons of lawyers that do amazing and vital work in our society. you just grouped all of these people together with any low-life sleezeball lawyer that you really want to criticize. so open up your eyes and think before you cast judgement on an entire profession. fuck this pisses me off.

second, on insurancee companies and this case: the neighbour of this family had their house badly damaged. they should not be on the hook to pay for this. that's why they have insurance (which is a vital aspect of our economy because disasters happen, and people are not all rich. there is a need to protect property and a need to give financial compensation to those that undergo hardship for which they were not the cause). now that insurance company will have to look at what the cause of the disaster is and find fault, because someone will have to pay. and that's why businesses are insured for the work they do. if i have a contractor working on my house and blows the house up, he'd better be insured against that kind of risk. and if i'm hiring him, it's up to me to make sure he has that insurance.

so what happened here? a family hired a 12 year old to look after their kids. firstly, i think this is way, way to young to do that. secondly, she obviously did a terrible job. if, indeed, the fire was started because a 5-year old was playing with a lighter, it was the babysitter that fucked up. how does a 5-year old get a lighter? why isn't he stopped from playing with it? is he being watched? is the babysitter not paying attention? there is fault here and it caused major damage that the neighbour should be compensated for. the hassle to deal with all of this lands with the insurance company. they will sue who they need to in order to seek damages. the family might be at fault for hiring a babysitter that was no good, and for hiring someone that was uninsured, but certainly the neighbour who's house was damaged was not at fault. who's going to pay for the repairs? they need an insurance company to protect their home, and they need a lawyer to help them seek a reasonable settlement. all of this is directly in line with the basic values of property ownership.

if a girl is going to be a babysitter, some responsibilty needs to come with that. she made a massive mistake. to me there is no question. she should be insured or the family should be insured, because if something happens, compensation is going to have to be paid to other innocent parties that have been effected.

none of this means she wasn't a hero for saving the kids and pets, but being a hero for saving people from something you should have prevented does not excuse you for contributing to the disaster in the first place. she assumed responsibility by taking the job, and the family assumed responsibility by hiring her. they are all at fault, and fault definitely matters.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,374
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
i can't believe what i am reading here. this kind of stuff grinds my gears, big time. and i'm talking about the responses in this thread, not the story.

first, to lwp's point that lawyers are evil, or at least at the root of it... what gives you the right to tar and feather an entire profession? what about human rights lawyers? or public defenders? or the office of the public guardian and trustee that acts on behalf of kids when their parents are too selfish to look out for their best interests? or what about the lawyers that come to save your ass when you get in a troubling situation, either of your own fault or because you are caught up in something beyond your control? there are countless fantastic and underappreciated lawyers out there that are tirelessly working on behalf of the marginalized and underpriviledged, and tons of lawyers that do amazing and vital work in our society. you just grouped all of these people together with any low-life sleezeball lawyer that you really want to criticize. so open up your eyes and think before you cast judgement on an entire profession. fuck this pisses me off.

second, on insurancee companies and this case: the neighbour of this family had their house badly damaged. they should not be on the hook to pay for this. that's why they have insurance (which is a vital aspect of our economy because disasters happen, and people are not all rich. there is a need to protect property and a need to give financial compensation to those that undergo hardship for which they were not the cause). now that insurance company will have to look at what the cause of the disaster is and find fault, because someone will have to pay. and that's why businesses are insured for the work they do. if i have a contractor working on my house and blows the house up, he'd better be insured against that kind of risk. and if i'm hiring him, it's up to me to make sure he has that insurance.

so what happened here? a family hired a 12 year old to look after their kids. firstly, i think this is way, way to young to do that. secondly, she obviously did a terrible job. if, indeed, the fire was started because a 5-year old was playing with a lighter, it was the babysitter that fucked up. how does a 5-year old get a lighter? why isn't he stopped from playing with it? is he being watched? is the babysitter not paying attention? there is fault here and it caused major damage that the neighbour should be compensated for. the hassle to deal with all of this lands with the insurance company. they will sue who they need to in order to seek damages. the family might be at fault for hiring a babysitter that was no good, and for hiring someone that was uninsured, but certainly the neighbour who's house was damaged was not at fault. who's going to pay for the repairs? they need an insurance company to protect their home, and they need a lawyer to help them seek a reasonable settlement. all of this is directly in line with the basic values of property ownership.

if a girl is going to be a babysitter, some responsibilty needs to come with that. she made a massive mistake. to me there is no question. she should be insured or the family should be insured, because if something happens, compensation is going to have to be paid to other innocent parties that have been effected.

none of this means she wasn't a hero for saving the kids and pets, but being a hero for saving people from something you should have prevented does not excuse you for contributing to the disaster in the first place. she assumed responsibility by taking the job, and the family assumed responsibility by hiring her. they are all at fault, and fault definitely matters.
I love you, rationality.

'trane is okay, too.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,089
Representing:
Default

You think 12 years old is too young, but the law doesn't.

FWIW the insurance companies are quarelling and seem to be at the root of the dispute and the divide between son and parents, which is what I was referring too.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

i hear ya acie, and that's my point. this is about insurance company vs insurance company, which is the logical outcome of this situation. it has to be, because compensation is clearly owed, and it's much better to do that between insurance companies than to have neighboiurs warring over damages. that's the basis of our notion of property ownership.

and the issue of her age is irrelevant. i think it's too young, but it has nothing to do with what happened. 12, 15, 18, 65, whatever. the place burned down because she wasn't properly looking after a 5 year old who was playing with a lighter (if indeed that is what happened - i can only go by what is in the article).
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,415
Representing:
Default

the only way it is the baby-sitter's fault is if the lighter was hers... and i'm guessing it wasn't.

the fault here is with the kid obviously, because he KNEW that what he was doing was wrong. but since he is 5, an insurance company needs to find someone else to blame. i can't blame the baby-sitter based on the evidence given, because at 5, you don't get 100% constant supervision.... you just don't. .... so for me, it (blame) is with whoever left a fucking lighter lying around. totally irresponsible.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

sure xw, but when the 5 year old starts playing with it, and you have the responsibility of taking care of that kid, it is undoubtedly your fault. that's precisely what a babysitter does. and frankly, you have toi give a 5 year old constant supervision. as a babysitter, that's what you are being paid to do.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Banned
 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 19,089
Representing:
Default

I blame the lighter company. Aren't those things supposed to be child proof?
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,415
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
sure xw, but when the 5 year old starts playing with it, and you have the responsibility of taking care of that kid, it is undoubtedly your fault. that's precisely what a babysitter does. and frankly, you have toi give a 5 year old constant supervision. as a babysitter, that's what you are being paid to do.
do you go with him to the washroom? do you make the other kid come along when you do? do you go to the washroom yourself? do you make both kids come along when you do? do you go to the kitchen to get them a juice? do you make them stop playing their video games and come with you when you do?

it doesn't take very long for a kid who is intent on mischief to sneak away and start a fire with his shiny new toy that daddy left lying around.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
thinking Stephen Harper has got to go.

Senior Member
 
lonewolfpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 1,236
Representing:
Default

I blame the parents who taught the child how to operate a child proof lighter and left it around where apparently a 5 year old could reach it.

Trane, sorry if my remark about lawyers offended you, but I thought it would be understood that it was made with the context of the article in mind and that of course I am not referring to all lawyers just those that think it is a great idea to sue a 14 year old girl.

By the way, in my experience the public guardian and trustee had nothing to do with parent neglect/abuse, but rather the Children's Aid Society.

Personally I think the insurance company of the owner of the trailer should pay for all damages. I mean these are trailers, they aren't even that expensive.

By the way trane, you wouldn't happen to be a lawyer working for an insurance company would you?
lonewolfpoet is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfpoet View Post
I blame the parents who taught the child how to operate a child proof lighter and left it around where apparently a 5 year old could reach it.

Trane, sorry if my remark about lawyers offended you, but I thought it would be understood that it was made with the context of the article in mind and that of course I am not referring to all lawyers just those that think it is a great idea to sue a 14 year old girl.

By the way, in my experience the public guardian and trustee had nothing to do with parent neglect/abuse, but rather the Children's Aid Society.

Personally I think the insurance company of the owner of the trailer should pay for all damages. I mean these are trailers, they aren't even that expensive.

By the way trane, you wouldn't happen to be a lawyer working for an insurance company would you?
the suing of a 14 y/o girl is not the issue. it doesn't matter how old she is, damages were cauised and need to be sought. her age is irrelevant.

the opgt isn't there for issues of abuse, but it does represent kids when parents are in a divorce and are using the kid as a bargaining tool, for instance. it has many functions.

no, i am not a lawyer. when you say 'lawyers are a close second as the root of all evil', it's hard to think that you meant that with the limitation of only certain types of lawyers.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
do you go with him to the washroom? do you make the other kid come along when you do? do you go to the washroom yourself? do you make both kids come along when you do? do you go to the kitchen to get them a juice? do you make them stop playing their video games and come with you when you do?

it doesn't take very long for a kid who is intent on mischief to sneak away and start a fire with his shiny new toy that daddy left lying around.
it is the responsibility of the babysitter to look after the kids. if the kids cause major fire damage, the babysitter didn't do a good job. i'm not saying it's easy - that's why 12 is too young - but they can't be unassailable because the job is hard. that's the responsibilty that you take.

and to answer your questions -

-depends on the kid for both q1 and q2.
-no not unless you are sure they are in a safe situation.
-yes but you keep an eye on them, you take them with you or you child proof the house first.
-if you don't stop them from playing games, you make sure the area is safe.

if you read my post, i left plenty of responsibility with the parents as well. if the lighter was dad's, he bears some responsibility. teh babysitter also should have taken notice and done something about it. both are at fault. the neighbours clearly aren't, but they are certainly owed damages.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22,015
Representing:
Default

But if your saying 12 is too young, wouldn't it be the parents fault for hiring a young girl to take care of their children?
Gurk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,374
Representing:
Default

There is a difference between 'trane's personal opinion about age and what he's saying about the way things occur in reality.

Quote:
and the issue of her age is irrelevant. i think it's too young, but it has nothing to do with what happened. 12, 15, 18, 65, whatever.
Quote:
the suing of a 14 y/o girl is not the issue. it doesn't matter how old she is, damages were cauised and need to be sought. her age is irrelevant.

For example, by saying 12 is too young, he could just mean that he wouldn't hire a 12 year old babysitter. However, given that some are hired by others, mechanisms, like inusurance, have to be in place to deal with the possible negative outcomes of such situations.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24