Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   The Podium (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f23/)
-   -   Should Pro Athletes Be Allowed To Compete In Olympics? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f23/should-pro-athletes-allowed-compete-olympics-2117.html)

Dr. J. Naismith 05-29-2008 02:29 PM

Should Pro Athletes Be Allowed To Compete In Olympics?
 
Should pro's like the ones that play in basketball and hockey be allowed to compete in the Olympics or should it be reserved for amateur athletes?

Discuss? :guitar:

fancylad 05-29-2008 02:58 PM

sure. why not. The olympics are all about the best athletes in the world. It only makes sence.

I've got a another question, though.

Given the state of the Chinese governemt and its actions, is it not comletely hypocritical that the games are being staged in said country and that the olympics are always cloaked in this mask of "human rights, equality, etc."?

MangoKidHoops 05-29-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 33465)
Should pro's like the ones that play in basketball and hockey be allowed to compete in the Olympics or should it be reserved for amateur athletes?

Discuss? :guitar:

I think so.. I mean, otherwise, for example, like in hockey, it would be like watching the Spengler Cup.. do you watch the Spengler Cup? It sucks balls. Why not have the world's best compete? It's a lot more fun to watch. ANd gives you a reason to watch.

JayJayW 05-29-2008 03:15 PM

lol yeaaa...well it was in germany while the jews where benig opressed why not in china where everyone is being oppressed?

stupid olympics...it coudlve being in toronto this year right?

did anyone ever see what they were going to do the harbour front for welcoming the olympics

it looked sick

MangoKidHoops 05-29-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fancylad (Post 33477)
sure. why not. The olympics are all about the best athletes in the world. It only makes sence.

I've got a another question, though.

Given the state of the Chinese governemt and its actions, is it not comletely hypocritical that the games are being staged in said country and that the olympics are always cloaked in this mask of "human rights, equality, etc."?

True. I mean, The 2010 World Cup was awarded to South Africa and FIFA is now thinking about pulling the plug from that experiment because of their horrible human rights track record.

dfunkie1 05-29-2008 04:53 PM

I don't think professionals should be allowed to compete. like how LX mentioned in a previous thread, the olympics have become more corporate than a celebration of the world coming together. having amateur represent our countries that shows that spirit that at times seems missing.

these countries aren't selected by a committee that is completely unaware of the human rights issues. IMO they are selected to be put in the international spotlight so they are pressured to make progress. aside from tibet, china has been working hard to improve their image concerning those exact issues for those exact reasons.

fancylad 05-29-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuggleBled (Post 33501)
aside from tibet, china has been working hard to improve their image concerning those exact issues for those exact reasons.

jesus. they need to work harder then.

And what the hell is "image"? it doesn't matter how good something looks if there is still badness under the surface.

dfunkie1 05-29-2008 07:34 PM

are you arguing that having the olympics haven't put more pressure on the human right issues on china?

fancylad 05-30-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuggleBled (Post 33524)
are you arguing that having the olympics haven't put more pressure on the human right issues on china?

I think it has put more pressure on them, but at the same time the country is still run by a shitty regime.

I've just been thinking about it for a while and i've pretty much decided that i'm going to boycott the Olympics this year. I'll miss out on some good basketball though. The rest i don't really care about.

MetroStar 09-21-2008 07:01 PM

I think pro athletes should be allowed to compete in this Olympics. But there should also be other Olympics held in Greece ( Ancient Olympia or Athens) every 2 or 4 years only for amateur athletes.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24