Should Marijuana be legalized?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,249
Representing:
Default Should Marijuana be legalized?

The debate regarding the legalization of drugs, particularly that of soft drugs like marijuana is capable of being characterized as one which pits the concept of freedom of the individual against the concept of a paternalistic State. Advocates of legalization argue, amongst other things, that cannabis is not only less harmful than legal substances like alcohol and tobacco, but as a matter of fact has been proven to possess certain medicinal properties. In stark contrast, those opposed to legalization argue that the legalization of cannabis will act as a precursor to increased addiction to hard drugs, and will necessarily lead to an increase in the crime rate itself.

What are some of the pros and cons?
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Presidential
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,575
Representing:
Default

I think marijuana should be legalized.
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
I think marijuana should be legalized.
Why?
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

It should be legalized. I do, however, get irritated when people claim it's less harmful than alcohol or tobacco because I think that's terribly misleading and an assinine comparison. It got me started with a slew of anxiety and depression problems I still have to this day.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Byte Mii, I have Wii Fit!
 
Krazy Ivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,967
Representing:
Default

I don't care one way or another...
Krazy Ivan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
It should be legalized. I do, however, get irritated when people claim it's less harmful than alcohol or tobacco because I think that's terribly misleading and an assinine comparison. It got me started with a slew of anxiety and depression problems I still have to this day.
alcohol is more harmful. scientific evidence says that your personal opinion and problems are inaccurate. it's nice to have something cool to blame it on, though
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

yes. pot should be legalized.

I don't smoke myself and i still totally think it should be legalized.

my reasons

1. the alcohol comparison thing.

2. With it being legal, it WILL actually help in the whole war on drugs thing. One less thing for gang / drug dealing culture to deal with. Like if you could buy weed from a store, or from an illegal dealer, which one would you do?

3. The government could make a LOT of money off of it like they do with alcohol. Hello? This should be point number one.

Last edited by fancylad; 05-14-2008 at 09:09 PM.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

See, I struggle with the question of whether or not it will actually help dealing with street violence.

The one question I have with the legalization of pot is simple what type of legal precedent does it set up? Does it set up for other "vices" to be legalized? Does that open the window for a growing drug like meth to be legalized? All forms of cocaine, which in my opinion, are used far more than pot? Again it's the legal precedent that it sets which stops me from going all gung ho on this.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

i don't really think legalizing marijuana will act as a gateway to hard drugs. Also, I, myself never really found a connection between street violence and marijuana.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

I would agree, it's just that voice at the back of my head that needs to shut up.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,563
Representing:
Default

yes.

-overcrowded prisons
-tax revenue
-deal a major blow to organized crime
-health benefits
-relative harmlessness
-easier to regulate
-opportunity to focus police attention on real threats
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iņigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,548
Representing:
Default

I actually think that ALL drugs should be legalized, only thing that I fear is the big companys glamourizing it and making a huge profit out it it like the they do with tabacco and alcohol.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggleBled View Post
alcohol is more harmful. scientific evidence says that your personal opinion and problems are inaccurate. it's nice to have something cool to blame it on, though
First off, you insensitive twat, I said it got me started. My first panic attack happened after I smoked pot. My second, third and fourth happened after I smoked pot.

I don't know what evidence you're talking about, but I'd ask you to go talk to some therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists about how many teens they see come through their door and onto their couch because of panic attacks that started with marijuana.

Regardless, alcohol and marijuana are two totally different things, so the comparison is pointless. What good argument starts with "...is worse, so..."?
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

As the residant conservative...I am going to break protocal....and say legalize it....

..Much like prohibition, doesn't make any sense to keep it illegal.

Plus the tax benifits are huge.

As long as it is monitored and controlled I have no issue.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Barney's revenge 08-09
 
IggyPosterizes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Hollywood
Posts: 364
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
First off, you insensitive twat, I said it got me started. My first panic attack happened after I smoked pot. My second, third and fourth happened after I smoked pot.

I don't know what evidence you're talking about, but I'd ask you to go talk to some therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists about how many teens they see come through their door and onto their couch because of panic attacks that started with marijuana.

Regardless, alcohol and marijuana are two totally different things, so the comparison is pointless. What good argument starts with "...is worse, so..."?
How many deaths have occurred relating to alcohol? not enough fingers and toes.

How many deaths have occurred relating to marijuana? probably enough to count with your hands and feet.

many things can trigger panic attacks, and why would you smoke weed when the previous three times led to panic attacks, I don't understand.

If there is anyone to blame for your condition/problem it's you or your genes, not marijuana because you chose to smoke it, marijuana did not choose to smoke you.

Last edited by IggyPosterizes; 05-15-2008 at 03:54 AM.
IggyPosterizes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyPosterizes View Post
How many deaths have occurred relating to alcohol? not enough fingers and toes.

How many deaths have occurred relating to marijuana? probably enough to count with your hands and feet.

many things can trigger panic attacks, and why would you smoke weed when the previous three times led to panic attacks, I don't understand.

If there is anyone to blame for your condition/problem it's you or your genes, not marijuana because you chose to smoke it, marijuana did not choose to smoke you.
We do a lot of things we shouldn't when we're young and I didn't put two and two together, partly because I was naive and the attacks happened a while after I'd smoked.

And again, the comparison to alcohol is a pointless one and has nothing to do with the point I initially made -- that it bothers me when pot is deemed "harmless" by people who don't know better. You have these kids who get the wrong message when you say things like "How many deaths have occured relating to marijuana?"

"Well, mom had a glass of wine on the weekend and she was fine, and if pot's not as bad as that, what's the risk?" Convoluted logic.

Two of you have a problem with me simply stating (where blame comes into the equation, is beyond me) that pot set off a lot of the problems I still deal with today. Why is that so hard to understand? The first time I smoked, I blacked out and couldn't move my body. If you think this is made up, look it up, it happens. You won't though and you'll make all sorts of ridiculous points and make me out to be some whiner who would have blacked out regardless.

So again, my point was I don't appreciate it being passed off as harmless (which is what a lot of the pot zealots do) or comparing it with something when it makes no sense.

I think it should be legal. I don't think people should have to hide it. I don't think people should be incarcerated for it. I wish I could handle it. I do think it's harmful to certain people. It may not be to you, it may not be to him or her, but it might be to that kid over there and I think he has a right to know. What problem could you possibly have with my point?
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,599
Representing:
Default

I'll vouch for Aar, I was there. It was my stuff and it was high test.

If I recall correctly, he thought he was having a heart attack and then he blacked out.

Anyway Coltrane pretty much summarized it pefectly for me.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

The blackout was at your cousin's in Toronto. Scary but fun.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
First off, you insensitive twat, I said it got me started. My first panic attack happened after I smoked pot. My second, third and fourth happened after I smoked pot.

I don't know what evidence you're talking about, but I'd ask you to go talk to some therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists about how many teens they see come through their door and onto their couch because of panic attacks that started with marijuana.

Regardless, alcohol and marijuana are two totally different things, so the comparison is pointless. What good argument starts with "...is worse, so..."?
those teens that walk thru those doors have underlying anxiety issues that were untreated. marijuana isn't a cause, it's just amplifies an already existing problem. with that said, it's also used to treat anxiety and depression.

the comparison isn't pointless. both would be government controlled drugs, both effect mental stimulus, improper use can be harmful to the public. you could easily make a list of similarities, pros and cons. what do you believe will be brought to the podium when they debate the issue?

I think it would be great hearing an argument to legalize alcohol, as a beverage.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggleBled View Post
those teens that walk thru those doors have underlying anxiety issues that were untreated. marijuana isn't a cause, it's just amplifies an already existing problem. with that said, it's also used to treat anxiety and depression.

the comparison isn't pointless. both would be government controlled drugs, both effect mental stimulus, improper use can be harmful to the public. you could easily make a list of similarities, pros and cons. what do you believe will be brought to the podium when they debate the issue?

I think it would be great hearing an argument to legalize alcohol, as a beverage.
Again, you miss my point. I never used the term "caused", I said it started it and set it off. Of course these kids have a certain make up that makes them prone, but pot sets it off.

As an example, let's look at my family history. My mom's a worrier. I'm a lot like my mom. Now, my mom has never in her life had a panic attack. She'd be prone to them if something happened that somehow set them off. Her mother was the same way, and her sisters.

Lots of things could set off panic attacks and anxiety and depression. The death of a loved one, for example. The person might have already been prone, but the trauma from that ordeal set off something that very well could have remained buried for an entire lifetime. Someone else could be fine after.

So, yet again, I ask you what problem you have with my point. Marijuana could be harmful to people who posess certain types of personalities and the fact that people like you don't understand this, is wrong. The sad thing is, you do understand this and have admitted this so this whole rigamaroll is ridiculous.

I've read the studies undertaken to prove it treats anxiety and depression and I agree with you, because, unlike you, I'm not stubborn about this whole issue. Now why can't you accept my point, which is been proven in study after study?

As far as the alcohol comparison goes, I haven't been the one making it, because it's pointless. In my experience, I've never had a problem with alcohol. I've never suffered a panic attack because of it. I keep track of what I drink and it has the exact same effect everytime. Now, that's just me! It might cause other people problems, like marijuana did to me. Other people might become alcoholics and in that case, alcohol could be deemed harmful. It ain't harmful to me, it might be harmful to Joe Blow over there, who has no problem with pot, unlike me.

And that's that. I'm getting a headache.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24