Rob Ford kicked out of office - Page 13
Old 11-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #241 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Presidential
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,596
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Just a guess, but it sounds like the fact that they've stripped him of his powers and what precedence that creates. For some reason that bothers some.


For SOME REASON? You actually seriously don't know that reason?
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #242 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

It's not "what" they did that bothers it's the why and how that I am struggling with. I don't think Council should have the power to remove a democratically elected official without cause unless granted by the people. One could argue that they have "cause" in this case and I think they do but I would prefer that the definition of cause sit outside of Council itself to remove any possibility of it becoming something that could be abused. Should we remove the provincial liberals? Or even the federal torys? In my opinion not without an election. Hold a vote of nonconfidence and let the people decide.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #243 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,478
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post


For SOME REASON? You actually seriously don't know that reason?
I guess but I believe there should be rules in place that allow for a mayor to be kicked out of office all together and not just if they're arrested. There would have to be strict guidlines as what reasons to do it but it should be there. This guy should have been kicked out of office weeks ago.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #244 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,478
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Hold a vote of nonconfidence and let the people decide.
I can agree with this.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #245 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I guess but I believe there should be rules in place that allow for a mayor to be kicked out of office all together and not just if they're arrested. There would have to be strict guidlines as what reasons to do it but it should be there. This guy should have been kicked out of office weeks ago.
Should Ana Bailao be removed? Kathleen Wynne?

It's fine to say there should be rules....but who sets them is much much more important.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #246 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,478
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Should Ana Bailao be removed? Kathleen Wynne?

It's fine to say there should be rules....but who sets them is much much more important.
Of course but something should be put in place. Easier said then done but for this guy to be able to stay in office through all this for the next year and continue with this circus knowing he can't be tossed out for that year is asinine. What makes it even worse is you have his brother standing there as well being as much a media whore as his brother. So we have two morons running a muck and disgacing the city........if it's not rob makig an ass of himself it's s doug putting his foot in his mouth. And then there's his family enabling him.......the adams family running toronto.

Last edited by jeffb; 11-20-2013 at 01:27 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #247 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
It's not "what" they did that bothers it's the why and how that I am struggling with. I don't think Council should have the power to remove a democratically elected official without cause unless granted by the people. One could argue that they have "cause" in this case and I think they do but I would prefer that the definition of cause sit outside of Council itself to remove any possibility of it becoming something that could be abused. Should we remove the provincial liberals? Or even the federal torys? In my opinion not without an election. Hold a vote of nonconfidence and let the people decide.
The people decide on a council. This council has never lost it's ability to function. The mayor is given the powers to form an executive council, and due to his behavior he ended up with nobody wanting to be on his executive. That was threatening to make the ability of the council as a whole unable to function, so they took action, not by removing anyone as you seem to suggest. What the federal or provincial government has to do with this situation is impossible to figure out here. It sounds much like the Ford deflections. The people will decide, and in the meantime council will continue to function. Meanwhile Ford has promised to make the election not at all about the people deciding, but rather a "war" that would make Chicago political machine style elections, or the nastiest forms of us politics which tend to be extremely undemocratic in their aims. Go figure.

Oh - and if only the Fords ever mentioned people, or voters, or citizens. They do not. They mention only taxpayers. With the thinly veiled, and problematic promise of a free ride.

Last edited by LX; 11-20-2013 at 01:47 PM.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #248 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Hi Raptors Forum...long time no talk....me here...Rob Ford voter.

No doubt he needs to go.

I do however have a problem with what council did. I am not going to go as far as to say "dictatorship" that's kind of silly but it does open the door to actions I am not totally comfortable with on either side of the aisle.

There appears to me to be a pretty simple solution. Call an election, I think if council has a HUGE majority they should have the power to do that.

Rob Ford has many problems not the least of which is not following through on the campaign promises that made me vote for him. Council has its own problems though with convicted felons casting a vote of moral consequence. The whole thing has been completely embarrassing to the city but the entire council takes some blame and have been pretty childish about the whole thing.

Finally to becoming the next "Detroit", well that's a gross simplification, and grants far to much power to what amounts to 1 vote on council. Actually the downfall of Detriot had nothing really to do with its Mayor (yes they were compounded by him for sure), a closer example to Detroit would be the billion or so that our province stole, but lets not let facts get in the way.

Miss me?
Detroit was about money leaving town for the burbs. Toronto got pretty close to that when Harris came along, amalgamated, put his man Lastman in place, and drove divisions between the former Burroughs and the downtown core. More and more money was moving all around the perimeter, and the downtown was starting to show signs of gentrification. And backroom deals started to accelerate that process. What is happening federally and provincially in the sense of divvying up interests and driving divisions between the urban and suburban values in play can be equated, i'll give you that. That explains the willingness of the federal and provincial tories to look the other way, and Wynne's idiotic cooperation on the moronic subway plan.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #249 (permalink)
and that's the bottom line, cause JV said so!!!

This is how U(jiri) do it
 
Carlos Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Halifax
Posts: 3,917
Representing:
Default

A little ridiculous that this guy is still mayor after all he's done.
Carlos Danger is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #250 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,566
Representing:
Default

lol @ benzo coming back for this. you were atrociously wrong from day one dude. and you clearly don't understand how council works at city hall.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #251 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

I can recall a pro position on Ford's desire to cut the council in half and assert himself in a strong mayor system. Yay democracy! Not like a dictatorship at all there.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #252 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
The people decide on a council. This council has never lost it's ability to function. The mayor is given the powers to form an executive council, and due to his behavior he ended up with nobody wanting to be on his executive. That was threatening to make the ability of the council as a whole unable to function, so they took action, not by removing anyone as you seem to suggest. What the federal or provincial government has to do with this situation is impossible to figure out here. It sounds much like the Ford deflections. The people will decide, and in the meantime council will continue to function. Meanwhile Ford has promised to make the election not at all about the people deciding, but rather a "war" that would make Chicago political machine style elections, or the nastiest forms of us politics which tend to be extremely undemocratic in their aims. Go figure.

Oh - and if only the Fords ever mentioned people, or voters, or citizens. They do not. They mention only taxpayers. With the thinly veiled, and problematic promise of a free ride.
I don't disagree with anything you just said about Ford, at all. Call an election I do not want an non elected (for the office of Mayor) official sitting in power unless it is to call an election. That said I don't want a non elected premier either, but here we are.

and they removed him a mayor, they changed the locks on his doors...rest is just semantics.

When is council gonna strip Bailao of her power?

Also you keep throwing "Ford rhetoric" and "Ford deflections", thats pretty weak, people are allowed to have a different opinion, and it can be their own. It would be like me saying everything you say leftist propaganda spin doctoring? which I don't think it is, you're a pretty wise dude, but please dont make assumptions that my mind is not my own.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #253 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
lol @ benzo coming back for this. you were atrociously wrong from day one dude. and you clearly don't understand how council works at city hall.
I'm back all the time, just wanted to give an opinion. I was wrong about Ford, on almost every account.

No pride in stating otherwise, he has proved himself to be a clown, and a maker of empty promises.

Only wish others had the same ability to admit a misjudgment.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #254 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I can recall a pro position on Ford's desire to cut the council in half and assert himself in a strong mayor system. Yay democracy! Not like a dictatorship at all there.
I will always be for smaller government. Cutting council in half would be a good start. Again....an empty promise though.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #255 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,566
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
I'm back all the time, just wanted to give an opinion. I was wrong about Ford, on almost every account.

No pride in stating otherwise, he has proved himself to be a clown, and a maker of empty promises.

Only wish others had the same ability to admit a misjudgment.
is that a dig against me (if so, which misjudgment should i be admitting) or just a general malaise about the way ford nation has responded to this saga?

back all the time, but first post in almost 6 months...
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #256 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,290
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
is that a dig against me (if so, which misjudgment should i be admitting) or just a general malaise about the way ford nation has responded to this saga?

back all the time, but first post in almost 6 months...
Not a dig at all, I just have no issue with admitting that I was wrong about someone. Again it's not just the general side show either. Fact is Rob Ford was not the first nor will he be the last politician to disappoint me. If you have never misjudged someone...that's pretty awesome.

Just replying to your "atrociously wrong". Yep I was.

and yes it was my first post in 6 months, but I check in every now and again. I haven't really felt the need to say anything until now. I'll go back to my cave.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #257 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
I don't disagree with anything you just said about Ford, at all. Call an election I do not want an non elected (for the office of Mayor) official sitting in power unless it is to call an election. That said I don't want a non elected premier either, but here we are.

and they removed him a mayor, they changed the locks on his doors...rest is just semantics.

When is council gonna strip Bailao of her power?

Also you keep throwing "Ford rhetoric" and "Ford deflections", thats pretty weak, people are allowed to have a different opinion, and it can be their own. It would be like me saying everything you say leftist propaganda spin doctoring? which I don't think it is, you're a pretty wise dude, but please dont make assumptions that my mind is not my own.
It's not semantics. He'll still be able to answer his calls. Given that is what he sees as his primary function it's a bit dramatic to make out like he's been removed altogether. Obviously the larger staff doing functional work is going to need the larger office.

And i have no idea where you get the idea that i'm disallowing different opinions. Are you going to tell me that bringing up wynne, or bailao for that matter does not bear some similarity to the deflecting that the Fords are aggressively pursuing? That's what it sounds like to me. That's all i said.

There is no political equivalent to a guy that has such a close relationship with criminals, and displayed behavior that makes those relationships even more worrisome given his responsibilities. We could have an election every month I suppose, or we could even apply the principles of self-representation inherent in Anarchist philosophies, but then you have mocked me for supporting such notions in the past. Smaller government indeed. Or a strongman that can shove your preferred ideology through like a dictator perhaps?
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #258 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,075
Representing:
Default

Regarding the legal question:

Has he not explicitly admitted to smoking crack? If he has, does it matter if he has been formally charged with anything? I mean, if he were formally charged with crack smoking, would it only then be a problem?

Some people seemed at first to pretend that Ford is no different than the other councillors. Now they have retreated to complaints about the process. If I were to be very harsh about it, it is as though they would rather believe that they have ultimate power in this respect than grant city council some discretion in limiting a blatantly incompetent mayor.

Last edited by Ligeia; 11-20-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #259 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

I guess the title of the thread is now correct. If nothing else he has been kicked out of his office. I hope he didn't leave too many stems and seeds behind in his desk drawer.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #260 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,599
Representing:
Default

Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24